Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

JJ2 levels speedruns

JCF Member

Seren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to all

Jun 16, 2012, 01:47 PM
JJ2 levels speedruns

As a representative of the minority that prefers playing alone, I began to record speedruns of SP levels recently. So far some of them had been shown privately to a few people and those people seemed to like them, so now that I have finally achieved the glorious number of 3 videos (apparently it took me almost 4 months to do so) I think I can start to show off more publicly. All of the levels are ran with Spaz on hard difficulty settings.

The Fortress of Floods by EvilMike (J2O download)
Youtube video

The Fortress of Decay by EvilMike (J2O download)
Youtube video

Astroid City by BlurredD (J2O download)
Youtube video

Even though I'm a practiced SP player I'm still learning both speedrunning and recording so I'm interested in all your opinions and advice. Obviously, I know none of these is really perfect but I hope to record better ones once I gather more experience. I think my next one will be Psychedelic Experience by Blackraptor but I'm not entirely sure what I'm going to do later so if you have any recommendations feel free to post them here too.

I am an official JJ2+ programmer and this has been an official JJ2+ statement.

Last edited by Sir Ementaler; Jun 16, 2012 at 11:30 PM.

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Jun 16, 2012, 02:05 PM
Even blur was unable to beat Astroid City, so that's massively impressive.

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Jun 16, 2012, 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ementaler View Post
Youtube video
I...

...holy shit.

JCF Member

Slaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHART

Jun 17, 2012, 01:04 AM
Very enjoyable videos! I continue to love singleplayer, yet I generally suck at it. I have trouble beating Devres on hard, and can't even imagine going for a speedrun . Also, good buttstomping moves on Astroid City, and a 'WOW' to the part with the TNT karate chop on the small platforms!

JCF Member

Seren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to all

Jun 17, 2012, 04:33 AM
Oops, I accidentally let The Fortress of Decay use YT's automatic camera stabilization, that's fixed now. Thanks for all positive opinions, they mean a lot to me. I'm glad Astroid City caused this kind of reaction because usually when I mention the name people have no idea what level I'm talking about. I wish I knew of more levels like that though, people calling something "impossible" motivate me like nothing else.

JCF Member

Lithium is an asset to this forum

Jun 17, 2012, 04:43 AM
Good job!

JCF Member

Sean is a forum legendSean is a forum legend

Jun 17, 2012, 08:24 AM
I wonder if EvilMike will take notice of the Astroid City speedrun now that SE's made it public. EM might even retract what he said about Astroid City being god awful.

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Jun 17, 2012, 09:00 AM
The fact that even the creator of the level is not able to complete it still warrants a pretty firm "god awful", I guess.

JCF Member

Sean is a forum legendSean is a forum legend

Jun 17, 2012, 10:14 AM
*shrug* I'm no expert. I roam to make a fool of myself.

JCF Member

DoubleGJ has disabled reputation

Jun 18, 2012, 06:13 AM
Quote:
The Fortress of Floods by EvilMike (J2O download)
Youtube video
Christ
Quote:
The Fortress of Decay by EvilMike (J2O download)
Youtube video
CHRIST
Quote:
Youtube video
CHRIST

Two Games Joined releases:
Control / Splinter (twin singles)
|| Ballistic Bunny (EP)
||
Beyond (maxi-single)
|| Beyond: Remixed (remix EP)
|| Inner Monsters OST (mini-album)
||
Shadows (album)

JCF Member

EvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHART

Jun 18, 2012, 04:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet CLM View Post
Even blur was unable to beat Astroid City, so that's massively impressive.
Yeah, this is one is incredible. Most impressive video I've seen of someone playing jj2.

I should also say, I'm unable to beat Fortress of Floods on hard mode, unless I play in order to get sugar rushes at specific parts. I can't beat it without dying.

Sir Ementaler: I told you this a few months ago, but please keep doing these! They are very cool, and I think you're the best player of SP jj2 that I know of. There are still lots of extreme-difficulty levels to do, although you've already done the hardest level ever made imo (Asteroid City).

JCF Member

EvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHART

Jun 18, 2012, 04:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
I wonder if EvilMike will take notice of the Astroid City speedrun now that SE's made it public. EM might even retract what he said about Astroid City being god awful.
He showed me the video already. I can't remember what my exact comments were, but it was something along the lines of "Holy shit".

I don't take back what I said about the level being bad... I like all of Blur's SP levels except that one. My problems with Asteroid City don't stem from that it's hard, but that I find it to be the "unfun" sort of difficulty. I don't like the coin-stomping stuff in particular, and I don't like how the level glitches when you try to save + is extremely hard + has a serious lack of checkpoints. I just don't think it's a fun level, even though (on a technical level) it's quite high-quality. To me, being fun is a requirement for a level being good.

Now, watching someone actually beat the thing *is* very fun, I'll concede.
minmay

JCF Member

minmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesome

Jun 18, 2012, 05:25 PM
I did Floods (also, the entire episode) on Hard without much difficulty. Astroid City, I don't think I ever even got the 15 coins. Pretty big difference between punishing failure with a loss of one heart at worst, and punishing it by making you start half of the entire (long) level over.

This reminds me, I really need to finish WSPIFA.

JCF Member

Jun 19, 2012, 12:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilMike View Post
I don't take back what I said about the level being bad... I like all of Blur's SP levels except that one. My problems with Asteroid City don't stem from that it's hard, but that I find it to be the "unfun" sort of difficulty. I don't like the coin-stomping stuff in particular, and I don't like how the level glitches when you try to save + is extremely hard + has a serious lack of checkpoints. I just don't think it's a fun level, even though (on a technical level) it's quite high-quality. To me, being fun is a requirement for a level being good.
I hoped you'll make an appearance and there you are.

I admit Astroid City should have more ways to continue from a point you already reached. The checkpoints are there and I don't think there should be more but they should be fixed because they're slightly bugged and don't always work. There's also another bug in the turtle shell part where it sometimes happens that the last door simply won't open. I suppose that if the level was bug free it would already be a lot better. But I don't really care about repeating a whole level so much, I'm probably a really patient person. Which doesn't mean I didn't swear badly each time the shell bug took place, a player should be rewarded for doing everything right.

I don't know if I consider this level fun or not. I'd rather say that what kept me interested in it was the sense of achievement it gives. Either way I like the level, it's one of my favorites along with the Fortress of Floods.
Quote:
Originally Posted by minmay View Post
This reminds me, I really need to finish WSPIFA.
I have no idea what this acronym you used stands for but it sure sounds like something that could use some betatesting if you know what I mean.