Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

JJ2+ v5.12 (last updated 20 August, 2023)

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Oct 22, 2013, 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedComputer View Post
I Experience crashes every time on Single player level, but after joining on a server Single Player has been started to working.
Does this mean you only crash in local games?

JCF Member

zapS is doing well so far

Oct 22, 2013, 02:46 PM
Quote:
I Experience crashes every time on Single player level
Same here. But after you said joining a server fixed it, I tried to just start a multiplayer level splitscreen, which also 'fixed' the problem.
One other thing I observed was that the game starts out minimized, but after the 'fix' (i.e. starting a multiplayer level) it starts windowed.
And crash in my case was access violation.
Toni_

JCF Member

Toni_ is doing well so far

Oct 22, 2013, 03:12 PM
Everytime I press on X to close the JJ2 window, I get an AV and 'Close the program' dialog box.

Violet: When you spectate a player, and player has bouncer power up, and there is bouncer ammo in the level, you see it as non powered up. Sometimes it shows like it's powered up, sometimes it doesn't. In new release I spectated twice and both times player with PU picked ammo that looked like PoweredUp. Is that fixed, so the player doesn't pick non powered up ammo if he has PU, or it's just a random thing?

Should I try to demonstrate you, because I really don't know how to make it more clear (my English is the problem).

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Oct 23, 2013, 01:14 AM
  • JaRU: So if I'm understanding you correctly, you're saying that this has happened to you in the past, and you're asking if it's fixed now? If that's right, then yes, it has indeed been fixed. Hooray!
  • I'm seeing some very incomplete or unclear reports and it's making it harder to figure out what's going on. If you're having the crashing issue, please specify:
    • Do you crash when starting a level in local SP?
    • Do you crash when starting a level in local MP?
    • Do you crash when starting a level in non-local (LAN/Online) MP?
    • Does it make a difference whether you're hosting or joining, in that third case?
    • Does it make a difference whether you're playing splitscreen or not?
    • Does it make a difference whether you start the level from the main menu or from a command line/drag and drop/external launcher program/GIP script/etc.?
    • If under one or more of the above circumstances, you do not crash, how does that affect the circumstances under which you otherwise do crash?
    • If you're willing to check, what are your registry settings? Should be HKEY_CURRENT_USER->Software->Epic MegaGames->Jazz Jackrabbit 2. List as much info as you can find from the version/s that are you giving you trouble.
    • Does deleting or renaming jazz2.cfg have any effect?
    • (People are generally including this, but to be safe...) Are your reported results for 1.23, TSF, or both?
  • On a happy note, I was browsing through some code and discovered that most of the jjCANVAS::drawString string modes have variable alignments! Besides STRING::RIGHTALIGN, whose purpose just got a lot less clear, they're all left-aligned by default. But if you add 0x10000 (65536), they'll be right-aligned! So 0x10000 + 50 will put the right end of the string 50 pixels from the right end of the screen. Even better, if they're in the range of 0x4000 to 0xFFFF, they'll be center-aligned relative to 0x8000! Very cool. Expect to see that info get added to plus-angelscript.html, uh, sometime, but for now it's your special bonus for viewing this thread

Last edited by Violet CLM; Oct 23, 2013 at 01:28 AM.

JCF Member

Obi1mcd is OFF DA CHARTObi1mcd is OFF DA CHARTObi1mcd is OFF DA CHART

Oct 23, 2013, 04:40 AM
Well, I started running through the list there, and after running a multiplayer level the problem seems to have fixed itself. Even after closing and opening JJ2, I can't get it to give me an AV anymore and it runs as expected. Probably not helpful for figuring out what the issue is, but seeing as I'm unable to get it back to being broken I'm not sure what to do there.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 04:56 AM
cooba
This message has been deleted by cooba. Reason: No longer applies

JCF Member

Seren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to all

Oct 23, 2013, 07:10 AM
Good job Obi! That's a pretty definite answer to the problem. The cause of the crash is somewhere in the register. I cleaned mine and tried to play JJ2+ in SP - I get an Access Violation if I do. Playing in MP works fine and makes SP work as well. I gathered some data on the technical side of this but I'll provide it in JJ2+ private forums as there's no reason to litter this thread.

I am an official JJ2+ programmer and this has been an official JJ2+ statement.

JCF Éminence Grise

Oct 23, 2013, 12:33 PM
...oh, you know, I wonder...

EDIT: SE's data-gathering, on inspection, matches my hunch. The crashing would seem to result from not having a set name in the registry for multiplayer, and when JJ2+ tries to query it in SP for jjPLAYER::name, all hell breaks loose. If you want to be able to run JJ2 again, just go into the main menu, start a multiplayer game, and configure your player 1. Obviously this won't be a problem in the next release, but in the meantime that's how you can solve it for yourself.

JCF Member

Jerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legend

Oct 23, 2013, 12:54 PM
That makes me wonder. Since just starting a multiplayer game once fixes the crashes... Apparently all those people freshly installed JJ2 just to try out the new version! And the first thing they did was to check out the awesome offline example levels.

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Oct 23, 2013, 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrythabest View Post
And the first thing they did was to check out the awesome offline example levels.
#brandrecognition
snzspeed

JCF Member

snzspeed is a forum legendsnzspeed is a forum legendsnzspeed is a forum legend

Oct 23, 2013, 01:49 PM
haha, my TSF didnt have a player 1 set. Well, I wrote something like asitjafjdlfsjfk and tested running the SP episode and it worked.

yay

JCF Member

Ninja is an asset to this forumNinja is an asset to this forum

Oct 23, 2013, 09:00 PM
Mouse aim? You guys might be seeing me around here soon to try this out. I might start streaming JJ2 and trying to bring some viewers to the game here soon.
Ninja

JCF Member

Ninja is an asset to this forumNinja is an asset to this forum

Oct 23, 2013, 09:00 PM
What is ridiculous is I swear I was thinking about JJ2 if you could aim with the mouse at work recently. You guys are awesome.

JCF Member

Obi1mcd is OFF DA CHARTObi1mcd is OFF DA CHARTObi1mcd is OFF DA CHART

Oct 24, 2013, 12:27 AM
Ah, cool, that's what the problem was. I've only really used TSF for multiplayer, so that fits pretty well. And yeah, the name was blank when I went to multiplayer.

JCF Member

Seren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to all

Oct 24, 2013, 01:49 AM
I suspected jjPLAYER::name from the very beginning and I even tested it once the errors became common.
But nobody mentioned it only happens in SP and only if MP isn't played beforehand, and my JJ2 is configured to open a local server on startup. No wonder I couldn't have reproduced the crash at first.

I am an official JJ2+ programmer and this has been an official JJ2+ statement.

JCF Member

Slaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHART

Oct 24, 2013, 07:59 AM
Whenever I have to reinstall JJ2, I always open & directly close the game to create the registry values, then manually enter my player and server name settings in regedit.

This habit probably originated from the pre-plus time when you couldn't enter special characters in JJ2 names directly.

JCF Member

Treylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legend

Oct 24, 2013, 08:36 AM
Talking of unecessary habits, I still have the habit of using capslock for always running, even though there's /alwaysrun on. Capslock is probably just more convenient since it's the quickest method.

Jazz Jackrabbit group: https://discord.gg/vZm95tQ

JCF Member

MrAlextov has disabled reputation

Oct 24, 2013, 09:29 AM
I Started thinking after watching the Ozymandious level the Single Player game is actually running local multiplayer server like in Minecraft 1.3 or later.

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Oct 24, 2013, 09:46 AM
That's not true though.

JCF Member

szmol96 is doing well so far

Oct 24, 2013, 12:58 PM
I found a possible bug. When I joined Camel Duels 1 this happened:

[[Thursday, October 24, 2013 at 21:50:14]]
**Current level: "Employee of the Month" - EvilCTF22.j2l
**Game Mode: CTF
**Custom Mode: OFF
[21:50:15] Console: Current Custom Mode: OFF
[21:50:15] Console: Welcome to Camel Duels 1!
[21:50:16] Naruto-CDF-: well fuck off you beated me in distopia 5_1
[21:50:16] DS]$Zm0l96[NHC: hi
[21:50:16] *** DS]$Zm0l96[NHC was kicked for SPAMMING
***** End of Log [[Thursday, October 24, 2013 at 21:50:16]] *****

Have a nice evening!

JCF Member

Jerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legend

Oct 24, 2013, 01:16 PM
That's indeed a known bug. The spam counter isn't reset when someone leaves the server, so you might end up getting kicked for someone else's spamming.

JCF Member

PT32 is an asset to this forum

Oct 24, 2013, 01:19 PM
Wow. I go away for almost a year, and look what crazy awesomeness happens...

Seriously. I haven't read through all of the posts on this thread yet, but what I have read through is simply incredible. I can't wait to find out for myself just how much is possible now.

I've been toying around for a while with making new levels again, but I couldn't find the motivation (or creative enthusiasm) to do it before. This might actually be enough to pull me out of semi-retirement and get me going again, particularly if the Singleplayer upgrades are as impressive as the rest.

IN DEVELOPMENT:
Renascence: The Last Jackrabbit

JCF Éminence Grise

Oct 24, 2013, 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PT32 View Post
particularly if the Singleplayer upgrades are as impressive as the rest.

JCF Member

szmol96 is doing well so far

Oct 24, 2013, 01:34 PM
Quote:
That's indeed a known bug.
Ah, ok.

JCF Member

minmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesome

Oct 24, 2013, 11:26 PM
I rescind my earlier comment about the crashes going away. I was doing a bunch of stuff in 8-bit color when I first tried the new version, and didn't think to switch until now. Turns out my crashes only occur in 16-bit color, and with the same frequency across versions. So to anyone else getting (or trying to get!) the level cycle crashes, try changing color depth. So far I've done around 1000 cycles in 8-bit color with animation-heavy levels without a single crash. I'll run a longer test tomorrow but I have to turn off my computer now.

This also gives me a hunch as to the vague nature of what's causing the problem, but any JJ2+ dev reading this already knows what that hunch is .

JCF Éminence Grise

Oct 25, 2013, 12:00 AM
Yeah, try a level that includes jjPAL calls (plusPalettes, plusEnscripted, plusHeaven...) in 16-bit and see if that gives you the same issue. Also, how about TSF in that regard?

JCF Member

KRSplatinum is a forum legendKRSplatinum is a forum legend

Oct 25, 2013, 01:32 AM
Some ideas to compliment the mouse aim controls are:

- weapon select with the scroll wheel
- jump with right click
- customizable mouse buttons
- Windows cursor disappears during mouse aim

JCF Member

Oct 25, 2013, 07:11 AM
I catched Cooba hosting on 4.3 a few hours ago, so perhaps we can expect a minor release soon.
minmay

JCF Member

minmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesome

Oct 25, 2013, 09:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet CLM View Post
Yeah, try a level that includes jjPAL calls (plusPalettes, plusEnscripted, plusHeaven...) in 16-bit and see if that gives you the same issue. Also, how about TSF in that regard?
Yes, forgot to mention, palette changes also cause it. I suspect the act of switching to 16-bit color could also cause it but I haven't had it happen in ~100 trials and it's awfully annoying to test further. It occurs in TSF but much less frequently.

JCF Member

Oct 25, 2013, 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaz View Post
I catched Cooba hosting on 4.3 a few hours ago, so perhaps we can expect a minor release soon.
You do realise the present release has been tested since like the end of August or so?

JCF Member

Oct 25, 2013, 10:51 AM
Quote:
You do realise the present release has been tested since like the end of August or so?
Oh haha I didn't know that. Thanks for breaking my bubble.

JCF Member

Oct 25, 2013, 11:13 AM
Okay, so maybe this is a little out there (or maybe not), but here's a thought: could we somehow take Coins and let you actually buy stuff with them? Like, create a "store," wherein you could buy ammo, powerups, 1ups, shields, gems, food, etc? That could be pretty interesting.

IN DEVELOPMENT:

JCF Éminence Grise

Oct 25, 2013, 11:18 AM
Yep. I've done it.

JCF Member

Oct 25, 2013, 11:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet CLM View Post
Nice.

Also, I'm encountering the same Singleplayer AV crash that previous people have, the one that is related to setting your Multiplayer Player 1. However, I tried the solutions recommended, and I'm still crashing. Any ideas?

My engine is a 1.23, with the latest Plus mod.

IN DEVELOPMENT:

JCF Éminence Grise

Oct 25, 2013, 11:32 AM
Either it's not the same crash, or you're not following the instructions right. What exactly did you try, and what exactly happens?

JCF Member

GLaDOS is doing well so far

Oct 25, 2013, 12:56 PM
That's some pretty amazing stuff you guys have added with this update!

I may have made this feature request before, but it would be nice if there was a way to disable console output of commands executed with jjChat(), such as an AngelScript-controlled flag or a command prefix (/silent ) that takes a command with parameters, suppresses server console messages, executes the command, and then re-enables messages.
This would allow for some basic data transfer from server to client, until custom packets would be implemented (if those are still planned). With the methods of reliable data transfer currently possible, players would either see several trigger enabled/disabled messages (transfer by trigger commands) or a long rename message (transfer of Base64 data by renaming the host player).

JCF Member

Oct 25, 2013, 12:57 PM
I started out playing the Singleplayer example level Hereafter first. It worked fine, until I AV'ed out by going through the Blue Key door (where you press Up to travel through) too many times too quickly.

Things worked fine after that until I played the FunPak level, where I AV'ed out again (can't remember what did it, but it was something close to the beginning of the level).

Now that I think about it, this may be a new crash, since some levels work, but not others. I tested all of the following on Singleplayer:

Hereafter, Cerulean Comet, Player Timer, Multiple Exits (and the secret level), Jailbreak, Tetris, Limit X Scroll, Quick Diamonds, I'm Going to Hell Anyway (although it did AV out when I did JJnext), and Butterfly all seem to work normally enough.

FunPak (it works briefly, but after running around a little bit either freezes up or just crashes), Flag Run (this one crashed on me after I died from taking a Red flag to a Blue base), Domination (it AV'ed out altogether), Angelscript (I got into the level, but then it AV'ed out), and Survivor (it AV'ed out altogether) all have problems.

I tried setting Player 1 characteristics for Multiplayer (name, colors, rabbit, controller) to normal, non-custom settings, and I both played my own hosted LAN game on the Battle1plus map (which worked) and joined one of the Jazz2Online servers (which also worked), but my singleplayer still doesn't fully function.

IN DEVELOPMENT:

JCF Member

Treylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legend

Oct 25, 2013, 01:03 PM
It's best not to ask if something is possible with angelscript, but rather what isn't possible (I can think of a couple of things). There's more what's possible than what isn't. Though it tends to only be those who have programming experience, can understand how much you can take to it's limits.

Jazz Jackrabbit group: https://discord.gg/vZm95tQ

JCF Member

Oct 25, 2013, 01:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLaDOS View Post
I may have made this feature request before, but it would be nice if there was a way to disable console output of commands executed with jjChat()
You (and maybe also someone else) have indeed requested this before. We have considered it, but decided against it because pretty much the only use case would be to change settings and that is something that you'd certainly want to inform the user about.

But no worries, a communications system for Angelscript is still planned.

JCF Veteran

Oct 25, 2013, 02:05 PM
PT32: As sad as I am to see you haven't finished Hereafter (do try again!), none of those are the same crash as others are experiencing.

"/s": Executing commands through jjChat is already a hack, and not a solution, adding another hack on top of that is not going to happen.

JCF Member

GLaDOS is doing well so far

Oct 25, 2013, 02:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooba View Post
"/s": Executing commands through jjChat is already a hack, and not a solution, adding another hack on top of that is not going to happen.
Ah, I had no idea it was a hack. The documentation doesn't really reflect that fact, but actually lists executing commands as one of jjChat's primary functions.

Quote:
You (and maybe also someone else) have indeed requested this before. We have considered it, but decided against it because pretty much the only use case would be to change settings and that is something that you'd certainly want to inform the user about.
Actually, the reason I requested it is because I am working on a relatively complex new gamemode concept that is based on control points. The status of each point needs to be synchronized across server/clients somehow, but I can't find a reliable way to do that using AngelScript right now.

Glad to hear a communications system is planned though!