Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » JCS & Scripting

Remake of The Castle of Ghosts

Blaze The Movie Fan

JCF Member

Blaze The Movie Fan has disabled reputation

Dec 31, 2015, 04:05 PM
Remake of The Castle of Ghosts

Before anyone thinks I'm canceling my other project, don't worry I'm not. I will get back to it eventually. But first I'm gonna remake the level The Castle of Ghosts.

It was a bad level I fully acknowledge that. But it's one of the few levels I made in the past I can remake without having to start over from scratch.

With Antlaitca and north pole, yeah, there is no way to remake these without starting from scratch as there was nothing in these levels asides from a few enemies.

I won't tell you exactly what changes I'll make as I don't wanna spoil. But I am gonna remake the level and call the new version The Castle of Ghosts Remastered.

I hope the new version will be the first level that can be considered at least good.

Last edited by Blaze The Movie Fan; Jan 1, 2016 at 04:45 PM.

JCF Member

Treylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legend

Dec 31, 2015, 04:31 PM
There's a password bypasser:

http://www.jazz2online.com/downloads/6627/-/

Jazz Jackrabbit group: https://discord.gg/vZm95tQ
Blaze The Movie Fan

JCF Member

Dec 31, 2015, 04:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treylina View Post
Thank goodness that exists.

In that case this is gonna be my next upload. I hope the improvements will be worthwhile.

Also, there is a part of the original level where it's impossible to progress as Jazz without buttstomping the ghosts. Do any of you have a suggestion on how to fix that? I guess springs could help, any other suggestions?

Last edited by Blaze The Movie Fan; Jan 1, 2016 at 04:58 PM.

JCF Member

SAMI is doing well so far

Dec 31, 2015, 07:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze The Movie Fan View Post
Thank goodness that exists.

In that case this is gonna be my next upload. I hope the improvements will be worthwhile.

EDIT: I also tried to edit the title of this topic, but couldn't it still says "canceled", can someone tell me how I can fix that?

Also, there is a part of the original level where it's impossible to progress as Jazz without buttstomping the ghosts. Do any of you have a suggestion on how to fix that? I guess springs could help, any other suggestions?
Make some kind of moving platform constantly going up and down, so that jazz can jump on it first and then reach top.

JCF Member

Jan 1, 2016, 12:52 PM
I am gonna promise you guys this, the new remastered version of this level will be a lot better than the original version.

I'm not sure if it will get high ratings, but I am gonna fix all the problems there were in the original version, so this one will be a major improvement. The main problem being too many enemies, I'm sure there are other problems I can find, these will be fixed too of course.

Super Moderator

ShadowGPW is a forum legendShadowGPW is a forum legendShadowGPW is a forum legend

Jan 1, 2016, 04:16 PM
I've fixed the topic header for you Blaze.

S.H.A.D.O.W.: (aka Ins0mnia)
Synthetic Hydraulic Android Designed for Observation and Warfare

Mystic Legends
http://www.mysticlegends.org

Follow me on twitter: @Ins0mnia
Follow us on twitter: @Mystic_Legends
Blaze The Movie Fan

JCF Member

Jan 1, 2016, 04:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowGPW View Post
I've fixed the topic header for you Blaze.
Thank you.
Blaze The Movie Fan

JCF Member

Jan 4, 2016, 02:13 PM
Can anyone tell me how to make animated titles? I can see that the original version of this level is full of them. But it's been so long since I last made animated titles.

EDIT: By the way the level is ready and will be uploaded soon. Stay tuned. The level is uploaded, hope you guys enjoy it.

Last edited by Blaze The Movie Fan; Jan 4, 2016 at 04:47 PM.

JCF Member

Love & Thunder has disabled reputation

Jan 4, 2016, 04:52 PM
The sub-window below the tileset should have a little blank square in the top-right corner. Click on it, then CTRL+click on any tiles in the set to add it as a frame in the animated tile. Double-click the tile in the animated tile sub-window to change settings such as animation speed.

JCF Member

Jan 4, 2016, 05:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo4900 View Post
The sub-window below the tileset should have a little blank square in the top-right corner. Click on it, then CTRL+click on any tiles in the set to add it as a frame in the animated tile. Double-click the tile in the animated tile sub-window to change settings such as animation speed.
Thanks for the help.

I hope you guys enjoy the level.
Blaze The Movie Fan

JCF Member

Jan 10, 2016, 05:24 PM
It's been a week now and nobody reviewed the level yet. Which makes me feel uneasy. I do feel like I'm not welcome here and my effort to make the level better went to waste.

Ah well, my new levelpack Jungle Jackrabbit 2 will be more than just an improvement over my past stuff, it will be entirely new.

But yeah. Maybe the reason nobody reviewed is because the level is the same as the one I made a long time ago, just with the problems fixed, and yeah, it pretty much is. I understand that you guys wanna see something new, and trust me that is what my next levelpack will be.

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Jan 10, 2016, 06:11 PM
Reviews in general are very rare nowadays.

JCF Member

PurpleJazz is OFF DA CHARTPurpleJazz is OFF DA CHARTPurpleJazz is OFF DA CHART

Jan 11, 2016, 12:50 AM
Sadly that is the case; with most people in the community no longer having the time and/or the motivation to review new uploads. This is most likely due to the fact the community has aged significantly as a whole and so have higher education/work/family commitments, which limit their time available for checking out new uploads.

If you're looking for a review, I suggest you try the Review Exchange thread. There will be others looking for reviews, and they're likely to reciprocate if you review one of their uploads. Be patient though.

JCF Member

Seren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to all

Jan 11, 2016, 01:41 AM
People lose interest in your upload the very moment they see its preview. This is your level:

These are some other recent single player levels that use the same tileset:

People who value their time initially judge uploads by preview, and if it doesn't catch their interest, they don't download. You don't have to spend a lot of time comparing these pictures to come to conclusion your level is not up to standards, and you don't have to download and play it to be able to tell it's probably not worth the time. Notice that the levels I used for comparison are not created by some sort of masters of level design - in fact, two of them come from their respective authors' first ever uploads on J2O.

I didn't download your level and won't review it but if you'd like a breakdown of what's so discouraging about your preview, I can criticize that. First thing that comes to mind is complete linearity - this level is one corridor and several detached rooms one can expect to be connected by warps. When I play single player, I generally want at least an illusion of non-linearity: alternative paths to the same place, small dead ends that contain pickups, secrets, trigger scenery that requires visiting another location, &c. Second but related flaw, this level looks like it could be beaten by simply running and ignoring whatever obstacles it throws at you. It depends on how exactly the rooms are connected and what's in them, but at least the corridor surely doesn't look long enough to lose all hearts by carelessly running through. Third and very obvious is visuals. Your level looks like it may be using only layer 4. There is only one small room in which the purple background is visible and from the preview I'm getting the feeling it's also placed on layer 4. This makes the level look flat and unappealing. Even interiors can use multiple layers to improve visuals. Layer usage is one thing, but the other is how uniform the level looks. All blocks are the same. There's one block you used for solid ground and one you used for background, using other blocks only where the two meet in order to avoid tiling bugs. The Castle tileset offers over 30 variatiations of basic ground blocks and background, and while nobody wants you to fill the level by picking them from the tileset and placing each individually, you should at least put minimal effort into providing some variety (the 'B' JCS hotkey comes in useful). Finally, there's eyecandy, of which this level appears to have very little. I can see some windows, some doors, one armor, one short bridge, and three torches in a single group. The tileset provides you with columns, cannons, vases, chains, and curtains, none of which are in this level. I'm not saying to use all of them, but you have to use a variety and place them often, in configurations that are pleasant to the eye. I think that's about it.

I am an official JJ2+ programmer and this has been an official JJ2+ statement.
Blaze The Movie Fan

JCF Member

Jan 11, 2016, 08:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ementaler View Post
People lose interest in your upload the very moment they see its preview. This is your level:

These are some other recent single player levels that use the same tileset:

People who value their time initially judge uploads by preview, and if it doesn't catch their interest, they don't download. You don't have to spend a lot of time comparing these pictures to come to conclusion your level is not up to standards, and you don't have to download and play it to be able to tell it's probably not worth the time. Notice that the levels I used for comparison are not created by some sort of masters of level design - in fact, two of them come from their respective authors' first ever uploads on J2O.

I didn't download your level and won't review it but if you'd like a breakdown of what's so discouraging about your preview, I can criticize that. First thing that comes to mind is complete linearity - this level is one corridor and several detached rooms one can expect to be connected by warps. When I play single player, I generally want at least an illusion of non-linearity: alternative paths to the same place, small dead ends that contain pickups, secrets, trigger scenery that requires visiting another location, &c. Second but related flaw, this level looks like it could be beaten by simply running and ignoring whatever obstacles it throws at you. It depends on how exactly the rooms are connected and what's in them, but at least the corridor surely doesn't look long enough to lose all hearts by carelessly running through. Third and very obvious is visuals. Your level looks like it may be using only layer 4. There is only one small room in which the purple background is visible and from the preview I'm getting the feeling it's also placed on layer 4. This makes the level look flat and unappealing. Even interiors can use multiple layers to improve visuals. Layer usage is one thing, but the other is how uniform the level looks. All blocks are the same. There's one block you used for solid ground and one you used for background, using other blocks only where the two meet in order to avoid tiling bugs. The Castle tileset offers over 30 variatiations of basic ground blocks and background, and while nobody wants you to fill the level by picking them from the tileset and placing each individually, you should at least put minimal effort into providing some variety (the 'B' JCS hotkey comes in useful). Finally, there's eyecandy, of which this level appears to have very little. I can see some windows, some doors, one armor, one short bridge, and three torches in a single group. The tileset provides you with columns, cannons, vases, chains, and curtains, none of which are in this level. I'm not saying to use all of them, but you have to use a variety and place them often, in configurations that are pleasant to the eye. I think that's about it.
You are incorrect that I only used layer 4, I also used layer 3 and background layers, but you can barely see the background as only a little bit of the level uses it.

As for everything else you got that spot on. Maybe it wasn't a good idea to remake one of my old levels. I admit that, it wasn't a good idea. People would rather see something completely new. Which is what the next levelpack will be.

I will take everything you say into consideration and use it to improve.

JCF Member

Slaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHART

Jan 11, 2016, 11:05 AM
Quote:
Maybe it wasn't a good idea to remake one of my old levels.
It's not necessarily a bad idea to remake an old level that few people even remember, but it is expected for any type of remake (not just JJ2 levels) to have it up to modern standards while honoring the original. So if something felt off about the original such as poor eyecandy and little challenge, I'd take the chance to improve upon that while remaking. It's by no means a good idea to leave possible design choices out because "the original wasn't like that".

And to be honest, I too checked your download page, clicked the preview, and got discouraged to try your level. However, don't ever let that make you think you aren't welcome here. It's just the way it is, with this community reaching it's unavoidable adulthood. Use SE's advice and post in the Review exchange thread and I'm sure people are willing to play your level. Maybe I will.
Blaze The Movie Fan

JCF Member

Jan 11, 2016, 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaz View Post
Use SE's advice and post in the Review exchange thread and I'm sure people are willing to play your level. Maybe I will.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't I have to review a level in return?

I want to review The Impossible One, but that level has that name for a reason, so I'm not sure what I can exchange the review with.

JCF Member

Slaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHART

Jan 12, 2016, 12:39 AM
Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't I have to review a level in return?

I want to review The Impossible One, but that level has that name for a reason, so I'm not sure what I can exchange the review with.
Well yes, but you'd start from your own perspective by telling you seek reviews for Castle of Ghosts Remake, and possibly what genre(s) you're willing to review in return. But if you like to review The Impossible One, then go ahead as there's no one stopping you. But an exchange wouldn't work that way around unless you personally contact it's author (Dennis) and ask if he's willing to review your level in return or not.
Blaze The Movie Fan

JCF Member

Jan 12, 2016, 12:19 PM
To be honest I don't care anymore that this level gets a review, I'm almost convinced it would get a negative one anyway.

It is the same level as I made back in 2004. Here are the changes:

-Removed most of the seekers. It was far too easy to get seekers in the
original version.
-Reduced the amount of enemies massively, there were far too many.
-Put a platform at one part so you can progress as Jazz.
-Added a tuf turtle and access to a new weapon you couldn't access in the
original level.
-Made the warp to the secret room hidden so it can actually qualify as a
secret room.
-Rearranged the hams so you don't have to jump all around the place to get
them.
-Added more to the secret room so it will be more worth going to.
-Removed two 1ups since the level didn't need more than one.

None of these make the level much different. I fixed the enemy placement and the item placement, and that's about it. And I also fixed some titlebugs. None of my changes made it a totally different level.

So yeah, keep ignoring the level I don't care anymore. There is nothing new about it anyway. There are some new things, but they are so few that they aren't worth bringing up.