Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

Why is there still not..

JCF Member

FawFul is a forum legendFawFul is a forum legendFawFul is a forum legend

Aug 4, 2013, 04:14 AM
Why is there still not..

A video on youtube that shows what kind of features jj2+ adds to the original game? So people actually understand what plus achieves which will hopefully result into more excitement to download and more new players using plus.

(16 players online in the server not having plus is awkward)

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Aug 4, 2013, 08:20 AM
Because no one had made one yet

JCF Member

Jerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legend

Aug 4, 2013, 08:47 AM
Scroll through the readme in about 10 minutes, record that, and upload it to Youtube?

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Aug 4, 2013, 01:28 PM
I don't know how to youtube.

JCF Member

Aug 5, 2013, 01:34 AM
Obvious answers are obvious, hoped to get some responses with more depth.

I know the first post sounds hypocrite, but I think it sounds reasonable to confront my opinion towards the community of how to get jj2+ out there. As i'm a huge fan of the project and

Although I don't have the tools to make something like a video for jj2+. I'm assuming someone else does, i'm questioning myself why nobody else has done something like this to get jj2+ more known and out there in a friendlier, wider media. While teasing videocontent, people can relate better to what the program does instead of the slack attitude (or fear) if they should be downloading jj2+ at all.

I don't want to let people that enjoy the game miss out on the jj2+ experience because they haven't heard about it / don't trust it or don't know how to install it. Because there is also a lot of young people, I think jj2+ misses out on about half of the players.

I understand not all people are quite the fanatics to bring out jj2+ or actually just not care. But at the same time it's awkward that no-one is attempting something like this in the community that does. For example, when i uploaded the whole soundtrack and bonus tracks to youtube people were actually very grateful for it. (18k views now) Although if i didn't compile it it wouldn't be there. Actually just made with windows movie maker which my pc barely handled.

JCF Member

Jerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legend

Aug 5, 2013, 03:18 AM
Well, there's DJazz with his videos showing the power of his Team Fortress scripts. But I agree there could be some more exposure.

JCF Member

Seren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to all

Aug 5, 2013, 05:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrythabest View Post
Well, there's DJazz with his videos showing the power of his Team Fortress scripts. But I agree there could be some more exposure.
I had recorded this too.

I am an official JJ2+ programmer and this has been an official JJ2+ statement.

JCF Member

Aug 5, 2013, 06:01 AM
Wait, what? How come I never saw that? It's awesome!

JCF Member

Love & Thunder has disabled reputation

Aug 5, 2013, 08:27 AM
Well, since my computer's on the brink of death(Currently using an old, slow dell), I can't do much to help with this. However, for what it's worth(Which I estimate is a very tiny amount), I think this is a brilliant idea, and anyone who can do this should at least attempt this, even if you end up never posting it anywhere.

JCF Member

Aug 6, 2013, 02:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ementaler View Post
I had recorded this too.
I saw this, it's very cool. But it's still not exactly what i understand. It's not a very long video capturing the overall jj2+ experience and I think it's too advanced for especially young people to understand. Overall it doesn't give much more detail of the project. The advanced material and the lack of sound and editing doesn't really excite people to download jj2+.

What i do admire is the video quality. Quick note to jjnet: This is also possible streaming quality! The refresh/bitrates on streams are really awful most of the time.

Overall I guess i can wait a month when i get my new pc to hopefully get some enjoyable and informing video's! Makes me thinking.. what if jazz2online has it's own youtube channel?

JCF Member

MrAlextov has disabled reputation

Aug 6, 2013, 03:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FawFul View Post
I saw this, it's very cool. But it's still not exactly what i understand. It's not a very long video capturing the overall jj2+ experience and I think it's too advanced for especially young people to understand. Overall it doesn't give much more detail of the project. The advanced material and the lack of sound and editing doesn't really excite people to download jj2+.

What i do admire is the video quality. Quick note to jjnet: This is also possible streaming quality! The refresh/bitrates on streams are really awful most of the time.

Overall I guess i can wait a month when i get my new pc to hopefully get some enjoyable and informing video's! Makes me thinking.. what if jazz2online has it's own youtube channel?
Would be very awesome... I Wanted always Video-News style about JJ2!

JCF Member

sonicnathan 1 is doing well so far

Aug 7, 2013, 11:19 AM
I would be 100% game for doing some recording. Kinda the problem is I'm not sure how I would go about doing it. Maybe after the weekend if someone wants to give me some direction, I can easily make a video. I just don't know where to start, or how I would compress so many features into a short video, without making it feel very dragged out and boring.
Episode 4: Probably never

<a href="http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/info.php?levelID=4882"> Deckstar V3</a>
<a href="http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/info.php?levelID=5408">Colonial Fix</a>
Jazz 1 Fanolint: 98%

<a href="http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/info.php?levelID=5407">Finished secret levels</a>

JCF Member

Aug 7, 2013, 11:45 AM
Make it EPICAL

JCF Member

Aug 7, 2013, 12:54 PM
I wrote my first message when I just woke up so let me clarify.

When I mean I don't know where to begin, I mean in a way of how should the video flow? Should it be like a bullet list with video footage to highlight the points shown? Should I use the audio from the gameplay, or a separate music track?

As well I don't play multiplayer, so I'm not familiar at all with the multiplayer features at all and even the stuff made for singleplayer I don't fully understand at times.

I feel this would work best if I had someone more familiar with the features of JJ2+ help me to figure out a style, and what points to show in a video as trying to show everything would result in a a very long video. I think a 2-4 minute video that summarizes a lot of the main strengths of Plus would work.

<a href="http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/info.php?levelID=4882"> Deckstar V3</a>
<a href="http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/info.php?levelID=5408">Colonial Fix</a>

<a href="http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/info.php?levelID=5407">Finished secret levels</a>

JCF Member

MrAlextov has disabled reputation

Aug 8, 2013, 12:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicNathan 1 View Post
I wrote my first message when I just woke up so let me clarify.

When I mean I don't know where to begin, I mean in a way of how should the video flow? Should it be like a bullet list with video footage to highlight the points shown? Should I use the audio from the gameplay, or a separate music track?
Would like real like-News studio level with 2 rabbit with name hidden and camera rabbit is hidden by blocks and using some special FX there would be a TV above the rabbit to show the news... I Can't do it because my voice is crappy

JCF Member

Aug 8, 2013, 11:05 AM
That sounds more like some sort of stage act... I'd rather focus heavily on showing bits of gameplay.

I'll try to dig deep in my imagination and come up with a script...

To give people some reference about what Plus does, I'd start off with some footage of vanilla JJ2 (which should look quite fun already, we don't want to scare people away!). That would show people what JJ2 itself is. Could start with the menus, joining someone's server. That would show two important things: how the server list looked before, and that there are still many servers online.

Show them SP, battle, CTF... some epic just-in-time flag score would perfectly add to the atmosphere you'd want to show in this phase of the video. Maybe also show some alternative stuff like Ground Force... the thrill you get from playing GF is quite easily captured in a video. It shouldn't be any longer than 1 minute up to this point, to avoid people tuning away before Plus enters the game.

Then, show a screen with some catchy text like "That's just vanilla JJ2 / Enter JJ2 Plus!". Don't keep it there longer than 2 seconds; videos with texts that stay on screen for longer than that always have appeared rather silly to me. After the text screen, revert back to the same gameplay scene as was shown just before the text screen. Then, launch Plus.exe (either outside of the video's frame or with footage of the Plus.exe icon getting clicked) to trigger the Plus welcome screen in the game. Keep Plus.exe's console window out of the video since it looks ugly and it's distracting.

From then on, focus on stuff that was not there before. For instance: Plus' chat messages like the CTF+ ones, killing sprees etc. It's good to start off with an epic kill, and then zoom into the chat message "... is on a KILLING SPREE!". Show the other ones in increasing order ("RAMPAGE", "DOMINATING" etc.) in between and during gameplay scenes, and at the very end of the video end with an epic battle, ending in a close-up of the chat message "...'s killing spree was ended by ..." while the background turns black for the level to cycle.

The Plus gameplay footage could contain stuff like spectator mode, reverse gravity, some heavily scripted thing (ask Sir Ementaler, he's made awesome stuff), maybe somehow squeeze the new server list in there (with some custom game mode/s if possible), more scripted stuff (I also want to nominate plusEnscripted.j2l), add the butterfly, palette fades, more awesome stuff, and that should do it.

JCF Member

Aug 8, 2013, 12:42 PM
I like the idea. I think the open segments showing vanilla should be a little shorter, like maybe 40 seconds or so. Also how would you open the video? I feel there be something instead of just cutting directly to the menus, cause then it seems kinda awkward. Also I thing it would work best to some sort of somber, kinda slow soundtrack over. Then once we get to the plus stuff, something more energetic and exciting.

I don't want to make the jj2 parts seem boring, but I feel a slower soundtrack would help to drive the point home that it's not the main focus, and that there's more waiting. Meanwhile a more energetic and exciting song sound get people excited and drive home this is the best jj2 experience you could get.

JCF Member

Aug 8, 2013, 01:57 PM
40 secs is fine, maybe even less. I meant to say it really shouldn't be any longer than at most 60 seconds since that could cause unknowing people to browse away before the magic happens.

As for sound, I figure one could try to find some track that starts slow and bursts into awesomeness after roughly 40 seconds.

As for the opening, that's a difficult one. But also very important. Please someone, help us out here.

JCF Member

Aug 8, 2013, 06:26 PM
It can be 2 separate pieces of music. I can very easily crossfade or fade out music so it mixes together.

I"m starting to visualize the video in my head:

Some sort of undefined intro we still need to figure out
We then go to the server browser as we enter a server. Cut to the gameplay footage with kinda slow music, to show the current experience
After a little music either stops, fades out or crossfades into another song. As we launch plus, fade into white with more intense and exciting music as we show some multiplayer footage in plus.
After showing off multiplayer stuff like steaks and spectator, we proceed to show the power of angelscripting.
Then we display the message JJ2 Plus, download today. Obviously I would spice it up more, but my idea on how to do it is REALLY hard to explain in words.

Obviously this is very rough draft, and I may play around in my sony vegas to help get some ideas down.

JCF Member

Aug 9, 2013, 05:34 AM
I should have responded earlier to this, but i think the best way to do it is first bringing out the "epic news" that jj2+ exists and how long it has been in development, then give a good mixture of gameplay bits (maybe there is old footage from jdc) + slideshowing some of the epic custom maps made. Basically a lot of short video shots. After that just introduce the main features like spectator mode, custom gamemodes, show a scripted level (forest wheel i recommend), improved CTF (messages from scoring, flagholder), pit levels, working TNT, 32 player servers. This last thing is probably hard to do, hopefully there is some existing footage from it, because it does capture jj2 as a massive community (eventhough it's not) it may still make people excited. although all of this could be part of an overall community contributed jj2 content video aswell.

JCF Member

Aug 9, 2013, 10:03 AM
Hey yeah, naming the features in some fancy way (so people know what they are looking at) might be nice, indeed.

JCF Member

Aug 9, 2013, 11:08 AM
Alright well I"m going to be gone until monday so hopefully by then you guys can agree on a script of sorts so I know what I"m shooting and how I"m making the video.

I look forward to doing this

JCF Member

Love & Thunder has disabled reputation

Aug 10, 2013, 05:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FawFul View Post
[...]32 player servers. This last thing is probably hard to do, hopefully there is some existing footage from it[...]
Well, if anyone recorded some of any of the Anniversary Bashes, now is the time to speak up.
(Also, SonicNathan1, your idea sounds awesome! )

JCF Member

Aug 11, 2013, 09:36 PM
Anyhow I'm back from the LAN. It looks like we just need to decide on a style (Jerry or Fawfuls ideas) and then maybe I can talk to someone on skype and start writing a script. Honestly once that's done I can do the actual recording editing in a few days.

JCF Member

Aug 12, 2013, 02:29 AM
I figure some gameplay stuff can be (and may be best) recorded by joining some server, playing a while, and cutting out the good parts. Need no script for that, I suppose?

JCF Member

Segmentation Fault is doing well so far

Aug 14, 2013, 12:44 AM
We're definitely going to be visiting Jazz2+ in our LP. My plan is to create a series of videos dedicated to custom JJ2 content (one of the goals of the LP is to showcase the creativity and perseverance of the Jazz community as a whole) so we'll definitely talk about Jazz2+. Also having read this I might throw together a video that discusses new features Jazz2+ offers that's separate from the LP, sort of an advertisement.