Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

JJ2+ v5.12 (last updated 20 August, 2023)

JCF Member

Borgia is doing well so far

Jul 21, 2016, 08:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treylina View Post
I would think the touch one was removed for deliberate reasons.
I found the sound clip on my pc, I think it's from some kind of pack that had all these deleted files in it. Too bad they left it out ...

--

Yesterday I encountered a rather odd issue in Jazz Creation Station. I opened my file "Cathedral Of Saint Borgius.j2l" and made some changes, then I wanted to Save and Run but it crashed the game every time I tried. I opened other files of mine and none of those caused any problems. Running the file on a server or through HCL didn't crash anything as well. I first removed every event, but that didn't work. Then I cleared all layers from everything in them, and even that didn't work. Afterwards I turned to ShakerNL for help by sending him the file so he could have a look at it. He quickly found out that the filename was too long.

This is something that hasn't happened before. When I changed the filename from "Cathedral of St Borgius" to the same with Saint written in full, I could still Save and Run like before. To counter the problem I changed it to CoSB.j2l, and now it works again.

Is this a JJ2+ bug or is this supposed to happen?
AvalancheMaster AvalancheMaster's Avatar

JCF Member

AvalancheMaster is doing well so far

Jul 21, 2016, 08:10 AM
I had the same problem with a level I am working on; so it is not an isolated bug. When I changed the name of the folder of Mythology of the Mind to Mythology of the Past, the problem disappeared.

JCF Member

Borgia is doing well so far

Jul 21, 2016, 08:18 AM
Lucky you, then. That change doesn't affect the length of the filename at all...

When I tried to go back from Saint to St, I still had the same problem - although it worked for Shaker. Oh well, it's not like CoSB.j2l bothers me or anything. This whole issue is just very weird.
rezsicc

JCF Member

rezsicc is doing well so far

Jul 25, 2016, 03:45 PM
Hello Everybody,

I am in trouble and I need your help.
When I create the server it always pings and do nothing more.
I checked with F9 button 2x and it says 0 baud received and 0 baud sent.
The JJ2+.exe was added to Firewall exceptions, moreover I switched off the firewall, but doesen't work.

I don't know what the problem is..
Please help me.

Thank in advance.

Best wishes,
Tibor from Hungary

JCF Member

Treylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legend

Jul 25, 2016, 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezsicc View Post
Hello Everybody,

I am in trouble and I need your help.
When I create the server it always pings and do nothing more.
I checked with F9 button 2x and it says 0 baud received and 0 baud sent.
The JJ2+.exe was added to Firewall exceptions, moreover I switched off the firewall, but doesen't work.

I don't know what the problem is..
Please help me.

Thank in advance.

Best wishes,
Tibor from Hungary
You need to open ports via logging into your router. From 10052 to...blah I forgot.

Jazz Jackrabbit group: https://discord.gg/vZm95tQ

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Jul 26, 2016, 01:17 AM
This page has an explanation of what you need to do.
JoesGuy

JCF Member

JoesGuy is doing well so far

Jul 29, 2016, 02:39 PM
Hey there folks. Loving the improvements 5.3 brings to the table. There is one oddity, however, that I haven't seen anyone bring up yet regarding revving up. For some reason I've been unable to do that as of 5.3. I don't use the always run command, so I doubt that's the issue, and I've tried numerous times to mash that sprint button, but nothing seems to happen.

JCF Member

Jul 29, 2016, 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoesGuy View Post
Hey there folks. Loving the improvements 5.3 brings to the table. There is one oddity, however, that I haven't seen anyone bring up yet regarding revving up. For some reason I've been unable to do that as of 5.3. I don't use the always run command, so I doubt that's the issue, and I've tried numerous times to mash that sprint button, but nothing seems to happen.
Is capslock on? That's also an auto run button.

Also, are you standing? It works fine for me.

JoesGuy

JCF Member

Aug 1, 2016, 02:35 PM
Quote:
Is capslock on? That's also an auto run button.

Also, are you standing? It works fine for me.
Capslock is off, and I'm standing still. It's odd that this is only happening to me in this update.

EDIT: I've made a breakthrough of sorts. Revving up is possible on the keyboard, but not with a controller.

JCF Member

Aug 1, 2016, 04:34 PM
Yeah, controller support is poor right now.

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Aug 1, 2016, 06:29 PM
Ooooooh. TNow that you mention it, that makes total sense.

JCF Member

Love & Thunder has disabled reputation

Aug 1, 2016, 07:39 PM
Quote:
For pennies a day, you can help put a stop to controller support poverty. Please, give generously.

Anyway, on a serious note, is controller support really that bad?

JCF Éminence Grise

Aug 1, 2016, 07:47 PM
don't know, don't have controllers, can't test code

JCF Member

Aug 2, 2016, 02:18 AM
Quote:
I've had a check with vanilla JJ2 just to make sure this isn't just a vanilla bug, but I can rev with the controller just fine on regular JJ2.

JCF Éminence Grise

Aug 20, 2016, 02:29 PM
Here's something y'all might find amusing: my in-forum documentation of the very first internal JJ2+ build to contain angelscript, and the full list of features it included. Note that nearly everything got renamed after this--we hadn't figured out the jj naming scheme yet, or namespaces for enums--and also back then it was possible to embed angelscript in help strings as well as .j2as files but that idea was dropped prior to 4.0's release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet CLM
Angelscript can live in two places: the help strings, like before, or in .j2as files with the same filename (other than extension) as their associated .j2l. I'm not going to go into how to write Angelscript, since that's what the manual is for, but I'll list JJ2-specific stuff.

The Text event commands are understood as functions void hstr_{TEXTID}_{OFFSET}(). For example, when you trigger a Text event with TextID=2, Command=1, Offset=4, this will call the void hstr_2_4() function. Since these are somewhat limited by the help strings' length limits (both JCS-imposed and .j2l-imposed), it's also possible to define an hstr_#_# function in the accompanying .j2as file. In that case, the numbers you choose are pretty much completely arbitrary, you just make sure to choose the same ones when setting up the Text event. Alternatively, you could define a less arbitrarily named function within the .j2as file and use the .j2l-internal hstr_#_# function to call that. Whichever you feel more comfortable with.

Help strings are sorted into two camps: those for showing text to the player, and those used for angelscript. To reserve a help string for angelscript storage, the first character must be a semicolon ( ; ). A help string that does not begin with a semicolon will not be parsed as code, and a help string that begins with a semicolon but contains non-code will break the angelscript engine.

Besides the hstr_#_# functions, JJ2 will also automatically call several other functions, although only if you've defined them in the .j2as file (by default they don't exist):
  • void main(): called once per loop.
  • void onPlayer(): called once per local player per loop
  • void onLevelLoad(): called after the level is done loading for the first time
  • void onLevelReload(): in SP, called after the player has died and all the objects have been reinitiated
(there's certainly room for others, but those are the only ones that are actually firing right now.)

The hstr_#_# and onPlayer functions each set a global variable uint8 CurrentPlayerID to, uh, the current player ID. 0-3. This can be used in conjunction with the global function player getPlayer(uint8) to return a player object, i.e.:
Code:
@player curPlayer = getPlayer(CurrentPlayerID);
Because this is likely to be such a common action, it can be shortened considerably, using the dedicated player object p and the shortcut function player CP():
Code:
@p=CP();
Player objects have a decent number of their properties exposed to Angelscript, namely int score, int16 xPos, int16 yPos, int16 xAcc, int16 yAcc, int16 xSpeed, int16 ySpeed, int8 frozen, int8 health, int fastfire, int currWeapon, int lives, int invincibility, int food, int coins, int redGems, int greenGems, int blueGems, int purpleGems, int shieldType, int shieldTime, and const pTimerState playerTimerState, const int clientID and const int localPlayerID. All can be read and (except for the last three) written to using dot notation, e.g. p.currWeapon or whatever.
(NOTE: xPos, yPos, xAcc, yAcc, xSpeed, and ySpeed all use the user-friendly versions of their values, measuring in pixels. Prepend an underscore to their names to get the full int (not int16) versions, e.g. p._xPos.)
(more could easily be added; I just grabbed whichever I thought might be immediately be useful.)
(pTimerState is an enum with possible values timerSTOPPED, timerSTARTED, timerPAUSED)

Players also have property accessors for bool noFire, bool antiGrav, and int playerTimerTime. For the most part these work just the same as the real properties and you shouldn't need to worry about the distinction.

Players also have the following methods:
  • bool getPowerup(uint8 gun)
  • bool setPowerup(uint8 gun, bool poweredUp)
  • int getAmmo(uint8 gun)
  • int setAmmo(uint8 gun, int bulletCount) (these two functions use user-friendly numbers for toaster, so setAmmo(5, 64) will show the player as having 64 toaster ammo, not 2.)
  • bool offsetPosition(int xTileOffset, int yTileOffset) instantly moves the player (xTileOffset) tiles to the right and (yTileOffset) tiles down. Hands down the best way of implementing looping levels.
  • bool warpToTile(int xTile, int yTile, bool fastWarp)
  • bool warpToID(uint8 warpID, bool fastWarp)
  • void jjk()
  • pTimerState startPlayerTimer(int time, bool startPaused)
  • pTimerState pausePlayerTimer()
  • pTimerState resumePlayerTimer()
  • pTimerState stopPlayerTimer()
  • void setPlayerTimerFunction(const string functionName) chooses which (void, zero-parametered) function is called when the timer runs out. This defaults to hstr_0_0. CurrentPlayerID will be set accordingly when this function is called.
  • bool activateBoss() (doesn't change the music)
  • void showText(string &in)

There are also a fair number of global functions:
  • void echo(const string text) writes a line to the chatlogger, and displays it ingame as well if in a server
  • void debug(const string text) does the same as echo, but only if the [General]AngelscriptDebug flag in plus.ini is set to True. (Turning this flag on will also give you error information if your Angelscript isn't quite right, but you probably don't want to leave it on when you're not busy developing.)
  • void chat(const string text) sends a line of chat to the server. This can be a command, if you have admin powers or if the level is being played in SP.
  • bool loadMusic(string filename) returns "false" if the file doesn't exist in the main or cache directories, plays the new music file once it's loaded
  • void stopMusic()
  • void playMusic()
  • bool loadPaletteFromJ2T(string filename)
  • bool loadPaletteFromRawFile(string filename) (File saved as "Color Map" in palsuite, or totally raw file only 1024 bytes long.)
  • void resetPalette() returns the level's palette to the tileset's native palette
  • void tintPaletteSection(uint8 red, uint8 green, uint8 blue, float alpha, uint8 start, uint8 length)
  • void tintPalette(uint8 red, uint8 green, uint8blue, float alpha is a wrapper for tintPaletteSection with start=1 and length=255. (Tinting color 0 temporarily messes up transparency.)
  • void replacePaletteSectionWithGradient(uint8 red1, uint8 green1, uint8 blue1, uint8 red2, uint8 green2, uint8 blue2, uint8 start, uint8 length
  • void replaceTexturedBackgroundGradient(uint8 red1, uint8 green1, uint8 blue1, uint8 red2, uint8 green2, uint8 blue2) is a wrapper for replacePaletteSectionWithGradient with start=76 and length=32.
  • void updatePalette() should be called after all other palette-modifying functions have been called. None of them call it by themselves, and if it's not called, you get unexpected results. (BUG: textured backgrounds in 16-bit don't have their colors updated. Thoughts, Jerry?)
  • uint16 getTileAt(uint8 layer, int x, int y)
  • uint16 setTileAt(uint8 layer, int x, int y, uint16 newTile)
  • void updateTexturedBG() refreshes the textured background to see which tiles are now used in it, in case you've used setTileAt on layer 8. Otherwise the changes won't show up.
  • bool getTrigger(uint8 id)
  • bool setTrigger(uint8 id, bool setTo)
  • bool switchTrigger(uint8 id) (for those who don't want to type setTrigger(x, !getTrigger(x));)

P.S. Jerry, here's your level's TextID0 in the new syntax:
Code:
;@p=CP();p.startPlayerTimer(7,false);p.setPlayerTimerFunction("hstr_0_2");|;|@p=CP();p.warpToID(1,false);
P.P.S. Major to-dos are a) providing ways to access some of the GameGlobals/LevelGlobals/GeneralGlobals stuff, e.g. water level, layer properties, multiplayer scores, etc.) and b) getting the .j2as file to be sent along with the level/tileset/music files in MP

JCF Member

Darkhog is notorious for his worthless posts

Aug 31, 2016, 08:14 PM
Which version of JJ JJ2+ is compatible with? I'm trying to get right version so it will work.
   ││_╱ │
  ╱╱   │╲
 (|▔╲  │ )
╱'╲_▔ _╱`╲
╲___) (___╱  TUX LOVES YOU.

JCF Éminence Grise

Aug 31, 2016, 10:43 PM
Quote:
JJ2+ only works with the full (non-shareware) versions 1.23 and 1.24 ("TSF") of Jazz Jackrabbit 2, although not all versions of 1.23 and 1.24 are supported; in particular, TSF: LK Avalon is not supported, nor the various Holiday Hare/Christmas Chronicles releases. If you are running JJ2 version 1.20 throuh 1.22, you will need first to apply the 1.23 patch, then JJ2+ (see Installation below). If you are running version 1.00 or 1.10, you are legally out of luck; those are non-commercial beta versions of the game, and cannot directly be upgraded to full commercial releases.
From the "About JJ2+" section of the readme.

JCF Member

Sep 1, 2016, 09:16 AM
Likely case, the retail version of the original JJ2 will be 1.20 or 1.21, so download the official 1.23 patch here: http://www.jazz2online.com/downloads/572/-/

JCF Member

Sep 1, 2016, 11:31 AM
Why LK Avalon version of TSF isn't supported?
   ││_╱ │
  ╱╱   │╲
 (|▔╲  │ )
╱'╲_▔ _╱`╲

JCF Éminence Grise

Sep 1, 2016, 11:52 AM
It's a lot of work for little gain.

JCF Member

Sep 3, 2016, 03:45 AM
Couldn't it be done as an function/address lookup table, so depending of the version it would inject into "right" address? The version could be detected via means of checksumming game's original .exe.
   ││_╱ │
  ╱╱   │╲
 (|▔╲  │ )
╱'╲_▔ _╱`╲

JCF Member

Seren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to all

Sep 3, 2016, 04:41 AM
Yes. A single lookup table would be really inconvenient for usage given that everything would have to be converted to its correct type whenever it's used, which is why we actually have named pointers rather than that, but otherwise our addresses are largely in the same place and correctly selected depending on whether the version is 1.23 or 1.24. If you wish to do the finding, we can probably provide you with our list of approximately 1500 addresses in either 1.23 or 1.24 and you can determine and tell us which addresses they correspond to in LK Avalon 1.24. We have about as much information on the topic as you do.

I am an official JJ2+ programmer and this has been an official JJ2+ statement.

Last edited by Sir Ementaler; Sep 3, 2016 at 07:05 AM.

JCF Member

XxMoNsTeRXM is doing well so far

Oct 1, 2016, 08:33 AM
Will the next plus update be a big one (v6.0)?

JCF Member

Oct 1, 2016, 08:35 AM
You're stepping too far ahead there. We got another hotfix coming in soon. Will come with some new albeit not major features.

Spaz Nitro

JCF Member

Spaz Nitro is doing well so far

Dec 1, 2016, 03:38 AM
This update is good and cool but if you got killed you no longer listen the music

GG

JCF Member

Dec 1, 2016, 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz Nitro View Post
This update is good and cool but if you got killed you no longer listen the music

GG
You got an outdated version. Redownload the new 5.3.

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Dec 9, 2016, 05:09 PM
JJ2+ version 5.4 is now available!

Quote:
Santa visted Carrotus early this year and look what he left in our Christmas stockings, a new JJ2+ release!!

Lots of bugfixes and behind-the-scenes improvements this time, as well as some new features:

- /gemtransfer allows instant transfer of gems in Treasure and Head Hunters, instead of the default behaviour of gems dropping to the ground.
- /resetadmins reloads the admin configuration file, restoring admin privileges to those specified in there
- Code that draws translucent tiles was made faster, so that they won’t slow down the game as much
- A health glitch associated with anti-radar mode was fixed

…and more! As always, check the changelog for the full list of updates, report bugs in the JCF thread and download the latest files here.

Last edited by Stijn; Dec 10, 2016 at 04:08 AM.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 10:45 PM
Love & Thunder
This message has been deleted by Stijn. Reason: Thanks!

JCF Member

Primpy is an asset to this forumPrimpy is an asset to this forum

Dec 11, 2016, 04:06 AM
"Lori's Pestilence zombie colors have been improved to look less like Christmas spice."
Huh? What does this mean?

"Floppy ears and a big butt?" - Slaz

JCF Member

Dec 11, 2016, 11:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primpy View Post
"Lori's Pestilence zombie colors have been improved to look less like Christmas spice."
Huh? What does this mean?
Zombie Lori used to have red fur and green clothing. It didn't look very zombie like. So I requested to switch the colours around.

JCF Éminence Grise

Dec 12, 2016, 01:51 PM
5.4 has been uploaded to ModDB after I forgot to do that for both 5.2 and 5.3 :
December 7th 2016 Release

JCF Member

SAMI is doing well so far

Dec 29, 2016, 08:31 AM
What the hell happened with latest JJ plus?

My PC hard freezes before srarting a level (Aka the loading screen). All I can do is press the reset bitton.

Alt tab doesn't help. CTRL+Alt+Delete causes total screen blackout. I can still move the mouse cursor but thats all.

Happening only with latest plus.

JCF Éminence Grise

Dec 29, 2016, 12:12 PM
This is not a problem we have heard about from anybody else. Can you share the contents of your jazz2.log?

JCF Member

Dec 29, 2016, 08:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet CLM View Post
This is not a problem we have heard about from anybody else. Can you share the contents of your jazz2.log?
Okay, I will post the JJ2 log when I get to my pc. Its very creepy aince hard resetting might kill my Pc.

Also interesting fact, when I hard reset and come back to desktop screen, my screen flashes black every 20-30 seconds for a while and then its gone automatically.

Tge freeze also happens in Window mode. In this case I can click on sonerhibg but then everything freezes except the mouse.

Last edited by SAMI; Dec 29, 2016 at 09:01 PM.

JCF Member

Dec 29, 2016, 09:13 PM
LOG: GRADE (Build 98-194W), Executable: E:\Jazz2\Secret files\Jazz2tsf+.exe
LOG: Jazz Jackrabbit 2 version JJ2+ Beta v5.4 (2016-12-07)

WIN: Running Microsoft Windows NT version 6.2, Build 9200
CPU: Intel Pentium II processor found
CPU: Processor Vendor ID 'GenuineIntel', Family 6, Model 14, Stepping 3
CPU: Processor Features BFEBFBFF (FPU, MMX)
VID: Checking for available video modes
VID: DirectDraw v10.0.10240.16384 found
VID: Video memory 3150790Kb (1Kb Free), AGP memory 1048512Kb (1048512Kb Free)
VID: Direct3D found
NET: WinSock v2.2 "WinSock 2.0", Status: Running, Host: DESKTOP-9OG2DNH
SND: BASS Audio Library v2.4
SND: Galaxy Music System v5.0a
SND: Detected DirectSound driver
---- Starting execution: invoke MainProg()

8 macro files found in current directory
Reading animation library
VID: Resizing display (DIBSection)
VID: Resizing display (DIBSection)
Resizing tile dictionary at 0x0 from 0 to 1599.
Loading level 'Easter Bunny' (EASTER1.j2l)

JJ2 + is unplayable now. Reverting back to old version for the moment.

JCF Member

Dec 31, 2016, 07:24 AM
Okay, I fixed it by myself.

I had to uninstall JJ2, run registry clean, reinstall JJ2 and then things are back to normal -The screen flashes in the game closing credit screen and the cutscenes of intro.

JCF Member

proud2beamerican is doing well so far

Jan 25, 2017, 07:26 PM
Here is an awkward thing: in JCS I can't see the window with the animated tiles. Not sure if that's due to the latest update
proud2beamerican

JCF Member

Jan 25, 2017, 07:56 PM
So the tileset window in JCS appears to have a fixed height of 800px. When I change my resolution to lower than the one of 768px height I can not even see the end of the tileset. I checked it on Linux machine as well as on Windows 10 laptop. Exactly the same problem. Didn't have that before the update. (could be some older update though, since I haven't download any for couple of months.)

JCF Éminence Grise

Jan 25, 2017, 08:10 PM
I give you my utmost assurance that JJ2+ in no way touches any known setting or other data in any way associated with JCS. Just make the tileset pane smaller and the animation pane will automatically become bigger.

JCF Member

Jan 25, 2017, 08:32 PM
This is weird then, I never had this problem before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet CLM View Post
Just make the tileset pane smaller and the animation pane will automatically become bigger.
I can't because I don't even see the bottom arrow of the tileset window.

JCF Éminence Grise

Jan 25, 2017, 08:35 PM
If you feel comfortable using regedit, the setting you want should be at:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Epic MegaGames > Jazz Creation Station > 1.00 > Layout > TopLeftPaneH