Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » JCS & Scripting

Vertical Symmetry Competition

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Jan 5, 2018, 02:46 PM
Exclamation Haah Waaw Competition

Announcing the Haah Waaw Competition, the latest in a line of tileset competitions with quirky restrictions!

To participate, you must create a JJ2 tileset (using commonsense definitions). Here are the rules!
  • Every tile image in your tileset must be vertically symmetrical, meaning that if you press F in a level editor, the tile's image must not appear to change. The leftmost 16×32 pixel area of every tile must be exactly the same as the rightmost 16×32, but horizontally flipped.
  • No such restrictions apply to the masking.
  • No restrictions apply to number of tiles or number of colors.
  • Your tileset can be built in either a 1.23 or a 1.24 JCS, or djazz's tileset compiler, or really anything you like, but if it has fewer than 1024 tiles you are encouraged to make sure it is 1.23 compatible.
  • Your tileset must function without its user using angelscript or other techniques not available in JCS to circumvent symmetry. Examples include expecting a user to set a layer's offset, edit some tiles' images using jjPIXELMAP, or use such drawing functions as jjDrawRectangle.
  • Collaboration is fine; reusing graphics that you did not draw without the explicit permission of their artists is not fine. If more than one person works on your tileset, you will be expected to decide among yourselves who gets the prize.
  • You may submit multiple tilesets, submit multiple variants on a single tileset, collaborate with multiple people on multiple tilesets, etc.
  • You must include at least one example level. You don't need to be the person who makes it if you don't want to. You don't need to compose your own music either.
  • The deadline is roughly onetwo months from now, February 5thMarch 2.71828th, at whatever time and timezone I feel like. At that time, using whatever arbitrary means and standards of judgment occur to me, a winner will be selected from among whatever tilesets have been submitted at that time. If there have been no submissions made before the deadline, the first submission made after the deadline will win instead, no matter its quality, provided that it follows all non-deadline-based rules.
  • Deadline extensions may or may not be granted, to be determined on a case-by-case basis with no guarantee of provision of justification.
  • The prize is a Steam code for the game Duet. You will need a Steam account in order to play this game, but really you're welcome to do whatever you want with the code once its yours.
  • All above rules are to be interpreted in their spirits, not their letters. If you think you have found a loophole in my wording, either ask if it's okay or else simply don't do it.

Last edited by Violet CLM; Feb 4, 2018 at 02:55 PM.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 03:05 PM
cooba
This message has been deleted by cooba.

JCF Member

Jelly Jam is doing well so far

Jan 6, 2018, 06:18 AM
Vertical symmetry, eh?

Introducing:

blank

Good luck to everyone who's participating.

JCF Éminence Grise

Jan 20, 2018, 10:27 AM
The Haah Waaw Competition is, fittingly, roughly half over. Please do not spend the second half exactly undoing everything you did in the first half.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 11:33 AM
Superjazz
This message has been deleted by Superjazz.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 07:34 AM
cooba
This message has been deleted by cooba. Reason: or not

JCF Éminence Grise

Feb 4, 2018, 02:54 PM
Deadline reluctantly extended from February 5th to March 2.71828th, because I am told people are genuinely working on things but require some more time to bring them to fruition.

JCF Member

Seren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to all

Feb 28, 2018, 07:12 PM
My entry is now available for download.

I am an official JJ2+ programmer and this has been an official JJ2+ statement.

JCF Éminence Grise

Mar 2, 2018, 11:39 PM
I think it's past the 2.71828th in any reasonable time zone, so while Jelly Jam's "Blank" is an admirable prequel to "Still Blank??" and does inventive things with transparency, I think Sir Ementaler is the ultimate winner here. Alien Palace offers a bewildering variety of tile types, as well as permutations of those types, and sometimes the symmetry requirement even seems to improve things... I don't know if we've ever had a better sign tile. The hanging green leaf-like structures are a highlight in their simplicity yet attractiveness, and it's nice to see a genuinely new (and very SNES RPG feeling) textured background style.

Last I heard you didn't use Steam, so let me know how you want the Duet code handled.

JCF Member

Roobar is an asset to this forum

Mar 4, 2018, 09:16 PM
Woah the tileset looks awesome!