Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » Beyond Jazz Jackrabbit 2

Jazz Jackrabbit 2 in Unreal Engine 4

Carpaintergeril Carpaintergeril's Avatar

JCF Member

Carpaintergeril is doing well so far

Jun 1, 2016, 12:38 PM
Jazz Jackrabbit 2 in Unreal Engine 4

Me and my teammate have decided to port Jazz Jackrabbit 2 to Unreal Engine 4. We're doing it for practice, but it's fun so we will probably develop it until it's playable.http://s5.postimg.org/el3wn9ih2/Screen_Shot00023.jpg
luke11685

Banned

luke11685 is doing well so far

Jun 1, 2016, 12:48 PM
It seems you have big luck.Actually with my Blender 2D maps I guess I can spread further progress.

JCF Member

Jun 1, 2016, 12:54 PM
Thanks, but we have all the assets that we need, from the original games.
luke11685

Banned

Jun 1, 2016, 01:44 PM
Like these ones?

JCF Member

Jun 1, 2016, 03:11 PM
Well, no. We use the original low resolution assets, with extra shaders, like normalmaps, emission and such.
In Unreal Engine 4 we can tweak it and add some nice visuals to it, but we're staying true to the original style.
http://s5.postimg.org/u45xy4g5j/Screen_Shot00041.png
http://s5.postimg.org/5ellzzd8l/Screen_Shot00020.png

JCF Member

Treylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legend

Jun 1, 2016, 06:22 PM
That..blur effect in the background makes the level look misty. Not sure if that really works for carrotus, but I think it could work for the christmas environment (the tileset from Holiday Hare/Christmas Chronicles) and jungle.

Jazz Jackrabbit group: https://discord.gg/vZm95tQ
luke11685

Banned

Jun 2, 2016, 12:31 AM
Well listen up it's not basic gaussian blur image experiments and alpha masking on gimp or even paint.net that's how Backbone Entertainment was doing and that are also stuff for pc emulators(render plugins) maybe 3DS Max and something else is supporting pixel graphics like jcs itself.You should focus on 3D modelling in 2D perspective view.So it's very important to start modelling things like vertices,geometry,polygons,rigging of skeletal meshes,ik bones,cutscenes,game engine,animations(ue4 2D side scroller mode) and in-game hud.Keep this in mind dude.You can try to recreate this Diamondus map in jj2 style on ue4
http://www.mediafire.com/?kmwdoitmjpc56id it's still unfinished,but at least sort of example.

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Jun 2, 2016, 01:20 AM
Looks interesting. I'm not sure how much I like the blurry background effect, but I suppose one of the advantages of using UE4 is that you can easily try out other effects. Looking forward to seeing where this goes.
luke11685

Banned

Jun 2, 2016, 02:24 AM
UE4 reminds me blue manequin npc in basic maps.This fangame reminds me sorta SDL game engine clones of famous side scroller games even more like Super Mario Maker.Reminder you can't just clone AngelScript game engine to unreal engine 4.It's not even PC(maybe PC Engine SDK 2016-name came from nowhere)Engine 2 Anyways goodluck with your fangame.

JCF Member

Jun 2, 2016, 05:05 AM
The blurry post process depth of field is just a test, it's dynamic so we can change it even in runtime.
http://s5.postimg.org/n0ksk7006/Screen_Shot00073.jpg

We are 3D artists and game developers, this is just a project we do in our free time for fun.
We can add new effects, dynamic lighting and materials so it can be a little more, but still the good ol' JJ2 in all its pixely glory.

http://s5.postimg.org/rj0vhik7b/Dark_Coin.gif
http://s5.postimg.org/jrk5iyg1z/Jazz_Stomp_Crate2.gif
http://s5.postimg.org/d7lyqcrev/Jazz_Up_Pickup.gif
http://s5.postimg.org/5ikj0w1jb/Jazz_Stomp_On_Grass.gif
http://s5.postimg.org/scdha4q87/Jazz_Heli_Pickup2.gif
luke11685

Banned

Jun 2, 2016, 06:31 AM
Well it looks promissing.Instead of lovely pixel graphics you should check lurking in indie games darkness of ubiart petitions I'm wondering how then jj2 suppose to look like via avoiding copyright trademarks.

JCF Member

Jelly Jam is doing well so far

Jun 2, 2016, 07:45 AM
It all looks great.
luke11685

Banned

Jun 2, 2016, 08:11 AM
yeah it's fine,but all i expected were maps and character models like in sonic the hedgehog 4 episode 1 or at least sonic generations.I guess Carpaintergeril you're only trying to make render plugins pc engine emulatation inside unreal engine 4,but I guess jazz jackrabbit revival got awesome map designs i guess jazz jackrabbit 3 in 2D on deviantart.Game mechanics is almost the same from jazz jackrabbit online adventure taken from rayman legends.Now I'm just fangame critic so Carpaintergeril your is still looking very well.

JCF Member

Love & Thunder has disabled reputation

Jun 2, 2016, 08:15 AM
Looks good, I like the particle effects when you stomp on the grass.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 08:36 AM
luke11685
This message has been deleted by Stijn. Reason: this isn't relevant to this thread

JCF Member

Jun 2, 2016, 09:03 AM
Thanks @Robo4900 it's always fun to make advanced cascade particle systems in a stylised enviroment.

I'm sorry @lukaszdamianpiotrrygal, but I have no idea what are you talking about. We are remaking the game mechanics in Unreal 4 blueprints, using art assets from the original second game plus some from us... So we're not gonna make a sequel, or anything, we're doing it for our own amusement.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 09:32 AM
luke11685
This message has been deleted by Stijn. Reason: This isn't going anywhere
luke11685

Banned

Jun 2, 2016, 12:07 PM
Dude I'm so sorry I was apodictic and egocentric.Honestly this fangame refreshment method is incredible.I don't want any troubles I should avoid negative consequences.To be honest I can't wait to play a demo.

JCF Member

Primpy is an asset to this forumPrimpy is an asset to this forum

Jun 3, 2016, 10:27 AM
Firstly, what you're doing with your teammate is amazing in my point of view. I'm looking forward to see more of this, everything looks great so far.

Secondly, I'm astonished by the fact that there's a third Jazz related project going on. First "jazzjackrabbit.org", then "Project Carrot", now this? Is this a dream? Please don't wake me up.

"Floppy ears and a big butt?" - Slaz

JCF Member

Jun 3, 2016, 11:12 AM
Thanks @Primpy!

Here are some more animated gifs:

Last edited by Carpaintergeril; Jun 4, 2016 at 08:48 AM.
luke11685

Banned

Jun 3, 2016, 12:40 PM
Dude i love it I want to do the same as you with jj1,jj3.

JCF Member

SAMI is doing well so far

Jun 3, 2016, 01:22 PM
Nice project! If possible, do use Normal and Specular maps on the characters and enemies. Would make a hell lotta difference with dynamic lighting.

JCF Member

Jun 3, 2016, 03:08 PM
Hi @SAMI they already have normalmaps (and metallic, roughness, emissive, cloth and ambient occlusion). But because it is so pixely and sharp, it's pretty hard to notice, especially on an image, or low res gifs.

JCF Member

Jun 3, 2016, 03:29 PM
I see. Thanks. Hmm, you guys might wanna try adding support for widescreens and with custom screen resolution support. And with a reaolutionnof 1920x1080 it should upscale the game, not increase the field of view. That'd be great.

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Jun 3, 2016, 03:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMI View Post
I see. Thanks. Hmm, you guys might wanna try adding support for widescreens and with custom screen resolution support.
This is an UE4 game we're talking about, so I'm pretty sure those things are taken care of...

JCF Member

Jun 3, 2016, 03:59 PM
It's in Unreal Engine 4, so all of the above is possible, and planned. The upscaling... well, the camera is dynamic, the player's speed and direction determine how much you see, not the resolution.
In fact, the whole game is in Unreal 4's 3D environment - meaning multiple 2D planes and sprites in front of each other in 3D.

luke11685

Banned

Jun 3, 2016, 06:04 PM
dude cartaintergeril shall i'll send you pm message?i don't remember if jazzgruff sent pm to me.This could be way to continue jj3 unofficial patch,but jj3d from ue1 is unfinished.

Last edited by luke11685; Jun 4, 2016 at 07:41 AM.

JCF Member

Jun 4, 2016, 10:25 AM
We're tinkering with the weapon system and pickup item movement. So far it's very basic, but we're making progress.

JCF Member

Jun 4, 2016, 10:29 AM
The thing that really amazes me about this is how accurate it is while still improving the particles, lighting, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukaszdamianpiotrrygal View Post
dude cartaintergeril shall i'll send you pm message?i don't remember if jazzgruff sent pm to me.This could be way to continue jj3 unofficial patch,but jj3d from ue1 is unfinished.
This is entirely unrelated to Jazz 3 and its unofficial patch.

JCF Member

Jun 4, 2016, 11:47 AM
But..blaster doesn't pierce through box ammo crates?

JCF Member

Jun 4, 2016, 12:35 PM
@Treylina:
Yeah, we know. The box collision was a bit glitchy when I made the gif. It's good now.

luke11685

Banned

Jun 5, 2016, 08:43 AM
goodluck carpteinter

JCF Member

Jun 5, 2016, 11:00 AM
Is it too early to ask when will you release a public alpha of this project?

JCF Member

Jun 5, 2016, 11:37 AM
@Primpy... well, we'll try to make the core elements and multiplayer work in the next few weeks, then yeah, its possible.

Does anybody know anything about the legality of this? Some says JJ2 is abandonware, but we don't think so.. We don't want to do anything illegal, and our goal isn't to make money with this. It might be best if we consulted an employee of Epic first.

JCF Member

Jun 5, 2016, 12:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpaintergeril View Post
@Primpy... well, we'll try to make the core elements and multiplayer work in the next few weeks, then yeah, its possible.

Does anybody know anything about the legality of this? Some says JJ2 is abandonware, but we don't think so.. We don't want to do anything illegal, and our goal isn't to make money with this. It might be best if we consulted an employee of Epic first.
As far as I'm concerned, JJ2 is NOT abandonware. I'm not very sure though so you'd better consult an employee of Epic Games (or wait for other members of JCF to answer, I'm much of a dummy)

JCF Member

Jun 5, 2016, 01:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primpy View Post
As far as I'm concerned, JJ2 is NOT abandonware.
"Abandonware is a product, typically software, ignored by its owner and manufacturer, and for which no product support is available."

Sounds like JJ2 to me.

JCF Member

Jun 5, 2016, 02:46 PM
Native stereoscopic and analygraph 3d support. Nvidia does it by itself but sometimes there still can be compability problems. Maybe add 3d support in future? And a shadow under the characters (not thw circle shadow, shape should be sonewhat similar to the characters) can be a good addition aswell.

JCF Member

Jun 5, 2016, 04:15 PM
@SAMI the surfaces are flat, so projected shadows aren't really an option under the character. However the layer behind may receive the projected shadow. For now, there's only ambient occlusion under the character (because it's actually a bit closer to the camera than the background), but we don't think anything more is necessary.

We'd rather use shadows when there is a custom light source present inside the level.

JCF Member

Jun 5, 2016, 05:01 PM
This is a fan project; as long as you don't sell it, you're fine. If Nintendo made Jazz, this would be a different story, but it's Epic, they don't mind/care. Besides, doesn't this just read the original game's files to generate levels and such? Or am I misremembering?

JCF Member

Jun 5, 2016, 07:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpaintergeril View Post
@SAMI the surfaces are flat, so projected shadows aren't really an option under the character. However the layer behind may receive the projected shadow. For now, there's only ambient occlusion under the character (because it's actually a bit closer to the camera than the background), but we don't think anything more is necessary.

We'd rather use shadows when there is a custom light source present inside the level.
Awesome. Keep this up, hopefully this project will get completed and release on steam. Epic should support this project.

Banned

Jun 6, 2016, 01:21 AM
I guess not.It's not like Nintendo own support of Super Mario Maker.It's still abandonware game.Anyways I can't wait to play online mode.

JCF Member

Jun 6, 2016, 02:42 AM
@Robo4900 Nintendo has always been overprotective, yes, but Epic still has the rights to JJ, so it's their right to shut down this project if they want to.
We are only using the art assets (and sounds, but that's very WIP - pretty hard to extract in fact) so it's not really a port but rather a remake in Unreal Engine 4.
We're trying to remain faithful to the original games but we can add more stuff, and use previously unused assets. And we can create more complex environments, puzzles, even connected maps.