Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

JJ2+ v5.12 (last updated 20 August, 2023)

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

May 16, 2018, 02:00 PM
Public Service Announcement
If you experience a problem with JJ2+ (or even vanilla JJ2) where a controller (or similar device) seems to constantly be moving your character or mouse without your intent, please visit this thread for information about how you can help diagnose this problem.

JCF Member

DennisKainz is notorious for his worthless posts

Jan 29, 2019, 04:53 AM
There is a problem: I downloaded HH18 and started the game, and the JJ2+ theme changed to Christmas Chronicles. I removed all the HH18 files, uninstalled and reinstalled JJ2+, and the theme is still that of Christmas Chronicles. It's the JJ2+ version from February 2018, so I'm sure it's not part of the patch. How do I revert the JJ2+ theme to the regular JJ2+ theme (the one where 1.23 got a picture of Jazz, Spaz and Devan in a cute style and 1.24 got one of Jazz, Spaz and Lori in an action movie style)?

JCF Éminence Grise

Jan 29, 2019, 06:40 PM
Try changing the [General]TitleScreen setting in your plus.ini file/s, which accepts the values "1.23", "1.23+", "TSF+", "XMAS", "vanilla" and "random" (default).

JCF Member

Jan 30, 2019, 05:53 AM
That helped. Thanks!
However, only the title screen is fixed. The game menu is still holiday hare themed.
Oh, well...
Better than nothing.

JCF Éminence Grise

Jan 30, 2019, 07:14 AM
That's because it's winter and J2O's background is snowing.

JCF Member

Jan 30, 2019, 01:23 PM
So you're saying it will revert to normal when the spring season begins?
Good.

JCF Member

Safir has disabled reputation

Mar 11, 2019, 01:34 PM
Hi Guys,
I know it could sounds really lame, but Im trying really hard to find some way to play coop with someone. What I must do fort hosting online (could be even just LAN) coop game?

JCF Member

Jelly Jam is doing well so far

Mar 11, 2019, 01:56 PM
JJ2+ supports coop mode for online servers. Just host your own game, type the "/coop" command, and cycle to the level of choice with "/c filename".
Safir

JCF Member

Mar 12, 2019, 09:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Jam View Post
JJ2+ supports coop mode for online servers. Just host your own game, type the "/coop" command, and cycle to the level of choice with "/c filename".
Could you please be more specific? I only learned how to host "classical" game as battle (to be fair this thing is pretty user friendly), but how do I get to type commands. Where? Thanks in advance!

JCF Member

Seren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to all

Mar 12, 2019, 10:06 AM
Hello. Commands are typed into chat, which you can open by pressing T, and send using the enter key. When you're still getting started, it may be a better idea to instead use windowed mode for hosting a server. That way you gain access to the window menu, which provides you with a lot of options you can use for changing game settings. You can also switch between windowed and fullscreen mode as needed using alt+enter. The screenshot below shows how to change game mode to cooperative this way.

I am an official JJ2+ programmer and this has been an official JJ2+ statement.
Safir

JCF Member

Mar 12, 2019, 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seren View Post
Hello. Commands are typed into chat, which you can open by pressing T, and send using the enter key. When you're still getting started, it may be a better idea to instead use windowed mode for hosting a server. That way you gain access to the window menu, which provides you with a lot of options you can use for changing game settings. You can also switch between windowed and fullscreen mode as needed using alt+enter. The screenshot below shows how to change game mode to cooperative this way.

Unfortunately I cannot see such menu, I see only this:
Attached Images
File Type: png battle.png (105.9 KB, 0 views)
Safir

JCF Member

Mar 12, 2019, 12:30 PM
Quote:

And just to be clear I have version from GOG - secret files (with JJ2+).
Thanks a lot for trying to help me!

JCF Member

Jelly Jam is doing well so far

Mar 12, 2019, 01:15 PM
Did you download JJ2 and the Plus patch separately? That might be the issue since Plus is not directly compatible with the unpatched version from GOG, but in the Extras bar on the game's download page there's a version of JJ2 which has Plus preinstalled. Try installing again with that one, it shouldn't have any problem working.
Safir

JCF Member

Mar 12, 2019, 01:44 PM
Quote:
Did you download JJ2 and the Plus patch separately? That might be the issue since Plus is not directly compatible with the unpatched version from GOG, but in the Extras bar on the game's download page there's a version of JJ2 which has Plus preinstalled. Try installing again with that one, it shouldn't have any problem working.
Installed it directly from gog with JJ plus. But I will try it again.
Safir

JCF Member

Mar 12, 2019, 01:49 PM
Quote:
OMG it worked!!! Thanks a lot! Who would have thought that 21 years old game would have such living community!

JCF Member

SAMI is doing well so far

Jul 8, 2019, 10:17 AM
The new automated installer can only detect my non TSFexe. It doesn't plusify TSF exe. How will I get around this issue?

Also, whats with the downgrade on the splash screen?

Original one:

Last edited by SAMI; Jul 8, 2019 at 10:37 AM.

JCF Member

Slaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHART

Jul 12, 2019, 05:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMI View Post
The new automated installer can only detect my non TSFexe. It doesn't plusify TSF exe. How will I get around this issue?

Also, whats with the downgrade on the splash screen?
Is the TSF exe in a folder together with the dependant TSF data files? Are you sure it isn’t LK Avalon TSF?

As for the splash screen, the top one is apparently a partial redraw by Noogy of Nick’s original splash screen, and was likely meant to be the TSF splash screen before that airboard scene came into play. JJ2+ offers it as an option, and by default will pick a random splash screen each time you start the game. You can override this with a setting in Plus.ini

JCF Member

Jul 16, 2019, 10:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaz View Post
Is the TSF exe in a folder together with the dependant TSF data files? Are you sure it isn’t LK Avalon TSF?

As for the splash screen, the top one is apparently a partial redraw by Noogy of Nick’s original splash screen, and was likely meant to be the TSF splash screen before that airboard scene came into play. JJ2+ offers it as an option, and by default will pick a random splash screen each time you start the game. You can override this with a setting in Plus.ini
Not LK Avalon. I used this same files back when I played in 2014.
Anyway I managed to manually plusify using plusifier. Don't know why the automatic setup wont plusify both TSF and non TSF.

Which one is the ID for original JJ2 splash screen then?

I know JJ+ randomly shows a splash screen but I don't think the original detailed on is among them. That doesn't show up at all.

Is there a way to replace the splash screen? I hate that low detailed one by Noogy. Looks so off.

JCF Member

Seren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to all

Jul 16, 2019, 11:32 AM
The original JJ2 splash screen you're speaking of is accessed using the value "1.23" in JJ2 1.23+ and is completely unavailable in JJ2 1.24+. This is because the only file that contains it is Data.j2d from version 1.23 and earlier.

If your JJ2 1.23 displays the TSF version of the splash screen, that would strongly suggest you're running the game using data files from a mismatched version of the game. This is not supported and discouraged. Please run JJ2 using data files created by the corresponding installer.

I am an official JJ2+ programmer and this has been an official JJ2+ statement.

JCF Member

Jul 17, 2019, 03:24 AM
Quote:
The original JJ2 splash screen you're speaking of is accessed using the value "1.23" in JJ2 1.23+ and is completely unavailable in JJ2 1.24+. This is because the only file that contains it is Data.j2d from version 1.23 and earlier.

If your JJ2 1.23 displays the TSF version of the splash screen, that would strongly suggest you're running the game using data files from a mismatched version of the game. This is not supported and discouraged. Please run JJ2 using data files created by the corresponding installer.
Yeah I just pasted 1.23 exe on my installation of TSF. That explains even why 1.23+ had TSF splash screen.

So now I will try to replace the 1.24 "Data.j2d" with the "data.j2d" from my 1.23 installation. That should fix the bad splash screen.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 11:46 PM
haojing
This message has been deleted by haojing.
Ragnarok!

JCF Member

Ragnarok! is a forum legendRagnarok! is a forum legend

Sep 4, 2019, 11:38 AM
Dunno if we can make requests here but...

Might be nice if there was an optional feature for team games, to enable a sound that plays when a team scores? It would be overkill in modes like TB etc, but I think quite fitting in modes like JB, AN, CTF...

JCF Éminence Grise

Sep 4, 2019, 06:57 PM
That would be pretty easy to do with a mutator by comparing jjTeamScore values each tick to their values from the previous tick... a mutator would not be the ideal solution in the long run, but it would be a good way to try the idea out and see how it feels in action, as well as experimenting with different sounds to find the best one.

JCF Member

Splat has disabled reputation

Sep 9, 2019, 11:25 AM
On the current plus version, there seems to be a spectator bug, where if you spectate on, the sound effect for Spaz standing on the edge of a platform is looping nonstop. I'm not sure of what are the exact variables to reproduce this bug.

JCF Éminence Grise

Sep 9, 2019, 05:50 PM
Remember to use our issue tracker for non-urgent problems.

JCF Member

proud2beamerican has disabled reputation

Sep 10, 2019, 02:44 PM
Is there any chance for JJ2+ and MLLE to run on Linux? (I don't know how hard it is to convert Windows app into Linux one, as I know almost nothing about coding).

Running JJ2+ via Wine is highly problematic, MLLE doesn't run at all. Not to mention that all the software and games I use are native to Linux, so that means that I had to install Wine only for JJ2.

JCF Éminence Grise

Sep 10, 2019, 09:32 PM
From everything I've been told JJ2+ is a model Wine application, like it performs better and with less effort than anything else?

MLLE I dunno. There's a "Mono" framework which is supposed to be like C#.net but compatible with other platforms, but I've never tried to figure out how much work it'd be to port MLLE to that.

JCF Member

Splat has disabled reputation

Sep 10, 2019, 11:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet CLM View Post
However, it seems that my posts in that subforum need approval from a forum administrator to be revealed.
proud2beamerican proud2beamerican's Avatar

JCF Member

proud2beamerican has disabled reputation

Sep 17, 2019, 08:41 PM
Quote:
From everything I've been told JJ2+ is a model Wine application, like it performs better and with less effort than anything else?
Oh? Well on my computer JJ2+ is unplayable. The character is constantly looking up and there is no way to stop it. That means that arrows up and down are unresponsive (so no stomping etc.).

Quote:
MLLE I dunno. There's a "Mono" framework which is supposed to be like C#.net but compatible with other platforms, but I've never tried to figure out how much work it'd be to port MLLE to that.
MLLE doesn't even open. In my case at least.

JCF Éminence Grise

Sep 17, 2019, 09:19 PM
You've got some device sending junk data to your computer. Running JJ2 with the -nojoy command line option should fix it.

Banned

luke11685 is doing well so far

Sep 18, 2019, 04:35 AM
I was thinking what about jazz jackrabbit 2 open world/battle royale mode?

JCF Éminence Grise

Sep 18, 2019, 07:18 AM
Those sound like they are probably different things, but JJ2+ has supported the LRS gamemode since day one.

JCF Member

BlanaoTalpao has disabled reputation

Dec 22, 2019, 12:42 PM
Guys it keeps failing to download for me. I tried both links. I tried direct download and manual save, it either says Failed - Download error under the name of the archive in the chrome download bad or it looks like it finished to download but in reality there is no file to be found in the folder, and if I try to open it from the download bar it says error. Any idea ?

JCF Member

ShakerNL is an asset to this forumShakerNL is an asset to this forum

Dec 22, 2019, 01:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlanaoTalpao View Post
Guys it keeps failing to download for me. I tried both links. I tried direct download and manual save, it either says Failed - Download error under the name of the archive in the chrome download bad or it looks like it finished to download but in reality there is no file to be found in the folder, and if I try to open it from the download bar it says error. Any idea ?
Try another browser (Google Chrome may refuse downloading files that are not often downloaded). Or check in your anti-virus software if the file isn't marked as virus and placed in quarantine. The download link works for me.

JCF Member

Apr 25, 2020, 03:24 PM
Will some future plus version fix the flood in the chat which is caused by some Turkish maggots?
Like, revisiting the spam kicking feature?
I am already using a mutator that actually kicks spammers, but does not work with plus commands.

[00:17:48] Console: Zero[CDF] is now SPECTATING
[00:17:48] Console: Zero[CDF] is no longer SPECTATING

Last edited by ShakerNL; Jun 6, 2020 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Typo/autocorrect
Oktan

JCF Member

Oktan has disabled reputation

May 11, 2020, 10:34 AM
Is there a way to get chats you partake in logged when you play on a server, or is that only for admins?

JCF Éminence Grise

May 11, 2020, 11:52 AM
Depending on your plus.ini settings, you should have a chatlog001.txt file in your JJ2 folder with more logging than you could ever possibly want.

JCF Member

Oktan has disabled reputation

May 12, 2020, 03:54 AM
Alright, thanks dude. I had no idea it was on by default, I hadn't noticed the chat log files and had only looked in some of the other config files.

JCF Member

TanKanT is doing well so far

May 17, 2020, 04:48 PM
Unhappy i feeel ur pain brotha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakerNL View Post
Will some future plus version fix the food in the chat which is caused by some Turkish maggots?
Like, revisiting the spam kicking feature?
I am already using a mutator that actually kicks spammers, but does not work with plus commands.

they are like flys....
spoofing others and spamming/insulting on a whim....
such childish behavior... they will never be among the elites,

hugs bro,

Best Of Luck,
TanKanT

JCF Member

juanpablo123 should make better posts

Jun 22, 2020, 04:21 AM
Now, I understand the post below is three years old, but still:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stijn View Post
Apparently the new version indeed does not work on Windows XP (though it's worth trying if it works for you anyway). If you are still using XP you are stupid and deserve to lose your files to ransomware. It hasn't been updated or supported by Microsoft for years and it's full of security holes.
As someone who had to main a very underpowered Windows XP box (i'm talking 512MB RAM 933MHz underpowered) for a little more than 10 years, especially on Venezuela(g), I feel a little offended.

Sure, it ran Windows 7 with Aero (nvidia geforce fx 5200), but as explained from the specs above, not a really good idea. The latest Ubuntu version that supported NVIDIA-173 drivers for my graphics card was 14.04, and I liked performance on my games, so yeah, I had to improvise on XP during all those years. Like how Teeworlds 0.7's binary downloads didn't work on Windows XP so I compiled it from source myself.

Nowadays I have two laptops with Windows 7 and Windows 10 on them (I main the former), but I had to go through quite a lot while I was on that old rig.

Last edited by juanpablo123; Jun 22, 2020 at 04:39 AM.

JCF Member

Jun 22, 2020, 04:32 AM
Windows XP has been End of Life for a long time. Windows 7 became End of Life as well and should no longer be used to go online with. Whether you are offended or not is not the case. These operating systems are outdated and won't be supported by the majority of app developers any longer.