Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » Beyond Jazz Jackrabbit 2

OpenJazz

JCF Member

Alister is doing well so far

Jul 23, 2013, 11:13 AM
Are the filenames either all lower-case or ALL UPPER-CASE? On case-sensitive sytems, those are the only options OJ supports. I should probably introduce Firstlettercapitalisedandtherestnot, because that's a common way of converting DOS filenames.

If it isn't that, I can't think of what the problem could be right now. You could try contacting the guy who ported it.
sokje

JCF Member

sokje is doing well so far

Jul 24, 2013, 01:50 PM
Hey, the latest version of OpenJazz on Widnows doesn't start for me.

When I run it, the screen goes black for a few secs and then I get kicked back to the desktop... It happens everytime. The old version worked fine though...

The same happens when I use the shareware version.

Any solutions?

The error log says the following:

Could not open file: openjazz.cfg
Valid configuration file not found.

EDIT:

Seems like I was able to fix it by copying over the openjazz.cfg from the previous version to the new version. But it doesn't seem like an ideal solution...

Last edited by sokje; Jul 24, 2013 at 02:03 PM.

JCF Member

Jul 25, 2013, 03:10 PM
Oops! I've put up a new version which fixes that.
sokje

JCF Member

sokje is doing well so far

Jul 26, 2013, 02:41 AM
You're the best, thanks!

JCF Member

Jul 26, 2013, 12:36 PM
No probs

Hopefully this has also fixed FawFul's problem, because I've just checked and the Android version isn't actually case-sensitive.

JCF Member

MrAlextov has disabled reputation

Jul 28, 2013, 11:34 AM
Do you can add scale feature to play as regular resoloution in scaled mode? Looks ugly if you max it in 1920x1080...

Also I didn't manage to make ISO image with the Dorimukyasto port.

JCF Member

Tecman is doing well so far

Aug 24, 2013, 04:13 PM
Hey there. This project is amazing, I'm really happy I've found about its existence, even if there's a bunch of stuff that still needs to be done.

Two things I've noticed so far that I'd love to be "fixed":

- whenever I quit the game and then start it again (and if the openjazz.cfg file already exists), the controller I've been using starts to behave strangely - hitting up sometimes acts as escape, right as pause... as if it's not saving the configuration correctly. If I delete the .cfg and start the game it sets everything up properly by default again, until I quit and have to delete the .cfg before running the game again.

- the scaling is a nifty and useful feature, but could the post-processing algorithm (is it Scale2x? Seems familiar from some emulators) be made optional?

There's also a bunch of little things like not being able to push down on magnets to make Jazz lower himself or firing while caught on magnets, the tubelectric tube sound effect not firing while you're in one, the Launcher projectiles not bouncing quite correctly and not firing the bounce sound effects, some SFX pitch tweaking (in my case a lot of them are too low) but I'm sure those are just things you haven't gotten to yet.

Also, in case someone wanted to contribute code (specifically, behaviour stuff like making things behave more closely to the original game), how would be the best way to send any changes to the current source?

Thanks for your hard work!

JCF Member

Feb 5, 2014, 02:15 PM
Hello, people! Once again, sorry for the delay responding. I'm as busy as ever.

MrAlextov: There is a scale feature, but it's limited and doesn't allow Jazz's 320x200 resolution to be scaled all the way up to 1920x1080. Your monitor should support lower resolutions, though - have you tried full-screen mode?

Tecman: Thanks! The configuration problem is wierd - could you send me a sample broken config file?

Yeah, the scaling algorithm is Scale2x. I didn't add it, and looking into it, it doesn't support plain scaling (what you see isn't actually a post-processing step, but how the scaling itself works).

I've fixed the pushing-down-from-magnets bug in the latest release. The rest are on the to-do list

I'm planning to move to Git or Mercurial fairly soon (and away from SourceForge - which repo hosting services are good nowadays?), but in the meantime you can just submit patches. Or, if you have a SourceForge account and promise not to trash the repo, I can give you access.
Zombie

JCF Member

Zombie is doing well so far

May 26, 2015, 06:38 AM
Build error.

I got a terminate called after throwing an instance of std::bad_alloc on
the latest build of OpenJazz.
luke11685

Banned

luke11685 is doing well so far

Jan 5, 2016, 07:46 AM
I discovered Episode X from Open Jazz as lack of Holiday Hare stages.I'm really sorry If I'm infracting very old thread taken from forum archives.I prefer not to spam some where alse in another uneccessary,omninous section to talk about these things like Jazz Jackrabbit Open Source.I bet it will results temporary or permament banishment in this very forum.Alister Thomson didn't respond,yet on his blog.I almost forgot about bugs of OpenJazz in Open Theme Animation before title screen pops up and lack of animation idles and very slow walking sequences in Bonus Stages.It's not even walking.Jazz in Special Stage has frozen model moving towards straight to pathway.
rea987

JCF Member

rea987 has disabled reputation

Nov 13, 2016, 03:36 AM
Hey,

Can someone explain how to compile OpenJazz on modern GNU/Linux distributions such as Ubuntu and Linux Mint, please?

Thanks, regards.

JCF Member

Logface202 is doing well so far

Dec 1, 2016, 09:10 AM
soo, there hasn't been a new openjazz for a while, dispite the fact that there are still some things that need to be done.
*cough* fix the sound effects *cough*
umisery

JCF Member

umisery is doing well so far

Jul 11, 2017, 09:57 PM
Thanks for this awesome program/mod!

Sadly it doesn't save game progress or game settings for me and the sound effects are a bit distorted