Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

Suggest top JJ1/2 downloads for GOG and win stuff!

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Dec 4, 2017, 08:41 AM
Suggest top JJ1/2 downloads for GOG and win stuff!

TL;DR Suggest must-have JJ1/JJ2 downloads for a GOG blog post, win game codes.

So, as I'm sure you're all aware, the Jazz Jackrabbit games got re-released on GOG a few days ago. But this isn't the end station for the hype train, and some more GOG-related good news is coming up.

What GOG regularly does as a follow-up to a release is a post on their blog with links to cool community-created content such as mods, levels, et cetera (example). Since the JJ2+ team has been in touch with GOG already to coordinate JJ2+'s inclusion, they've reached out again to see what sort of stuff would be good to include in a JJ2 version of such a post. So that's where you come in - what level pack, tool, et cetera do you think is absolutely essential for new players to play or see?

Remember, we're talking about new players here. So we don't want things to be too intimidating - Devres Episode Five is considered a classic, but its extreme difficulty would probably also deter newcomers from playing past the first level. So try to make balanced suggestions, things that would be fun as well as impressive for someone who hasn't played a lot of Jazz Jackrabbit 2 recently. That also means that single player levels will probably be the focus!

Anyone who makes a (serious) suggestion has the chance to win an Epic Bundle GOG code. Even if you already have the games, that's an opportunity to get someone new into the them And if you've never played Epic Pinball before, well, now's your chance to get your hands on it.

To streamline things, please post a link to the Jazz2Online download page of your suggestion, as well as a short blurb explaining why everyone absolutely has to play it. Use the Torchlight post as an example. Deadline for this is quite soon, so if you have something to suggest, now's the time. You can suggest your own work, as long as you can clearly make a case for it.

Last edited by Stijn; Dec 4, 2017 at 09:33 AM.

JCF Member

FawFul is a forum legendFawFul is a forum legendFawFul is a forum legend

Dec 4, 2017, 09:06 AM
1. Jazzopoly! Fun, simple, cooperative (no losers, no required skill level), shows what modding/jj2+ can do: https://www.jazz2online.com/downloads/7606/-/
Problem is that the .zip contains TopSecret.j2t, but the level uses Top Secret.j2t (with a space) So this should be fixed first. Second problem is that the level does not work with splitscreeners, you have to play in a server for it to work too. Nonetheless great level.

2. Anniversary bash pack. Quick and easy way to obtain a bunch of high quality Battle and CTF levels

Last edited by FawFul; Dec 4, 2017 at 09:16 AM.

Super Moderator

ShadowGPW is a forum legendShadowGPW is a forum legendShadowGPW is a forum legend

Dec 4, 2017, 09:24 AM
1. The Jazz Jackrabbit 1 level editor was always a favorite of mine
2. Pretty much any tile set of Agama
3. self promoting Future Evolution v1.1
4. Complete Pipe Dream by Firesword
5. perhaps make a pack of the 50 best mplayer levels of 19 years of JJ2?

S.H.A.D.O.W.: (aka Ins0mnia)
Synthetic Hydraulic Android Designed for Observation and Warfare

Mystic Legends
http://www.mysticlegends.org

Follow me on twitter: @Ins0mnia
Follow us on twitter: @Mystic_Legends

JCF Member

Slaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHART

Dec 4, 2017, 09:30 AM
Tomb Rabbit: Old but quite original and based around a well-known game series.
https://www.jazz2online.com/download...v1232-updated/

The Lost World Episode: Another classic and original pack, but too bad the cutscene video's can't be played in-game.
https://www.jazz2online.com/download...world-episode/

FSP: Rent Collection: A little weird for non-community members but aside from the 'WTF' humor it's still an original fun experience for everyone. Of course the original Hocus pack is a good contender to this.
https://www.jazz2online.com/download...nt-collection/

A Generic Single Player Level 2: A more recent SP level that's pretty amazing and deep, should be doable on Easy difficulty for most newcomers. https://www.jazz2online.com/download...ayer-level-ii/

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Dec 4, 2017, 10:02 AM
My (personal!) suggestions, focusing on Single Player:

Stone Abyss - In the words of the author, a "scripted remake of the original JJ2 story": a fun, no-nonsense Single Player level pack that hews close to Epic's original levels while also greatly improving upon their design, effectively using JJ2+'s new features to add new challenges and effects.

Hero 4 Hire - The Final Adventures - If you simply want more vanilla Jazz Jackrabbit 2, but even better, this pack's got you covered.

The Demon Invasion - A short but sweet set of levels, which look great but are also very enjoyable to play. There's a story element as well, and as a whole the episode is a nice mix between traditional and innovative level design.

Tomb Rabbit 2 Unfinished - The sequel to one of the most popular custom level packs ever made for Jazz Jackrabbit 2. It's unfinished, but don't let that deter you - what's there is creative, challenging, and enormously fun, with custom graphics and music made especially for this release.

A Generic Single Player Level II - It's just one level, but it's big enough that it can entertain for hours. It's difficult but rewarding, and has a beautiful world for you to explore. Newer players will probably find it most enjoyable on easy mode, though you may also enjoy the challenge higher difficulties provide.

Episode Two: The Rebirth of Evil - If you're in for a challenge, give this one a try. This is probably the best installment of a huge, sprawling five-part series, famous for its creativity, ambition and punishing difficulty. Reaching the final level is enormously rewarding, but don't say we didn't warn you!

The Episode - Six levels that are a lot of fun on their own but perhaps especially interesting because they use four of the best user-made graphics sets available - showing to what extent the game can be customized. You can use Jazz Creation Station, the game's level editor, to easily make your own levels with these tilesets (or others! there are hundreds out there) too.

Last edited by Stijn; Dec 4, 2017 at 10:43 AM.

JCF Member

djazz is OFF DA CHARTdjazz is OFF DA CHARTdjazz is OFF DA CHART

Dec 4, 2017, 01:42 PM
Game Server List - See a list of active game servers and players in internet play. Updates automatically.
Level Packer v2 - With a GUI!
PHP Tileset Compiler

JCF Member

PT32 is an asset to this forum

Dec 4, 2017, 02:10 PM
Cloning Jazz by Booman is a solid option. Interesting and innovative for its time. And, exploding Jazzes.

I'll throw in my level Cold Flash, for a nice traditional-style JJ2 level with fun-but-not-overly-challenging gameplay.

IN DEVELOPMENT:
Renascence: The Last Jackrabbit

Last edited by PT32; Dec 4, 2017 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Added option

JCF Member

Darkhog is notorious for his worthless posts

Dec 4, 2017, 03:10 PM
How about showing of best first levels uploaded by people to J2O or levels that people claim were the first levels they've made, I'm thinking something like top 5, to show that you don't have to know much to do a cool JJ2 level, only basics of JCS.
   ││_╱ │
  ╱╱   │╲
 (|▔╲  │ )
╱'╲_▔ _╱`╲
╲___) (___╱  TUX LOVES YOU.
Mike_1990

JCF Member

Mike_1990 is doing well so far

Dec 4, 2017, 04:12 PM
The Resurrection of Devan Shell: Episode 1 - I know this will be probably too hard for newcomers but there isn't really anything better out there singleplayer-wise. If they want to showcase something, why not the best? I think it's better to start with the 1st episode though, even when it's not the best out of the pack, as RoDS is quite story heavy.

Ozymandius - Not sure if it's not included in jj2+ by standard, but if not then definitely. This is a showcase of jj2+ and angelscript capabilities, so it shouldn't miss.

Dreamscape - This is my personal favorite, as it introduced me to the feelings of dread I haven't thought were possible while playing jj2. Basically what it does, it takes your expectations for classic jazz gameplay and throws them out of the window, hitting you with quite mindf***ing leveldesigns and story ideas.

The Lost World - It has completely original tileset and tries to do things differently by using more realistic level design and story. It's also accessible for newcomers as it's quite easy and has a quick pacing.

Tileset Extractor - As far as JCSing goes, this tool is pretty much essential for everybody if they want to do any changes in already existing tilesets.
snzspeed

JCF Member

snzspeed is a forum legendsnzspeed is a forum legendsnzspeed is a forum legend

Dec 4, 2017, 08:29 PM
One of the 5 New Ages packs.
Electromagnetic Express.
Ozymandius for the j2as.
Generic SP level II.

And I support Shadow's idea of the 50 best mp levels too.

JCF Member

FireSworD is an asset to this forumFireSworD is an asset to this forum

Dec 5, 2017, 01:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowGPW View Post
5. perhaps make a pack of the 50 best mplayer levels of 19 years of JJ2?
I agree with this. There's just so many to choose from. I believe there should be at least one of each level of the most notable authors, like CelL for example.

I think asking the authors if they want their levels included would be a good idea. I wouldn't want some of my older levels being included.

Last edited by FireSworD; Dec 5, 2017 at 07:14 PM.

JCF member

Krezack has disabled reputation

Dec 5, 2017, 03:42 AM
I miss hotel levels.
"Are we not threatened with a flood of information? And is this not the monstrousness of it: that it crushes beauty by means of beauty, and annihilates truth by means of truth? For the sound of a million Shakespeares would produce the very same furious din and hubbub as the sound of a herd of prairie buffalo or sea billows."
—Stanisław Lem, Imaginary Magnitude (1973)

JCF Member

Jerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legend

Dec 5, 2017, 01:02 PM
Thanks to JJ2's level editor, Jazz Creation Station, the oldest community-created levels still available date from about a year after its release in 1998. It wasn't until 2003 that JCS94, or J1CS, became available: the first level editor for the original Jazz Jackrabbit game. A few years later, the more advanced J1E level editor was made. Owing to its complexity, few levels have been made for JJ1 by the community. Two packs stand out: Lost Ages and Sonic With a Gun. Built on the beloved original Jazz Jackrabbit game from 1994, both level packs offer players a challenging, yet genuinely new experience and are an excellent showcase of the creativity and dedication of the Jazz Jackrabbit community.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 01:31 PM
luke11685
This message has been deleted by Stijn. Reason: this is not a suggestion
Old Dec 6, 2017, 01:44 PM
luke11685
This message has been deleted by Stijn.
SmokeNC

JCF Member

SmokeNC is doing well so far

Dec 8, 2017, 01:53 PM
Tweedle Wheedle .

Administrator

Dec 8, 2017, 02:28 PM
(Suggestions have been sent to GOG. Thanks for the input everyone, and congratulations to Mike_1990 for winning the GOG code!)

Super Moderator

ShadowGPW is a forum legendShadowGPW is a forum legendShadowGPW is a forum legend

Dec 8, 2017, 02:44 PM
CURIOUS STIJN!

S.H.A.D.O.W.: (aka Ins0mnia)
Synthetic Hydraulic Android Designed for Observation and Warfare

Mystic Legends
http://www.mysticlegends.org

Follow me on twitter: @Ins0mnia
Follow us on twitter: @Mystic_Legends

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Jan 16, 2018, 09:55 AM
The list is now up on GOG.com. Check it out!