Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » JCS & Scripting

SWAG Hype Thread

JCF Member

KRSplatinum is a forum legendKRSplatinum is a forum legend

Mar 7, 2014, 07:41 AM
It would be nice if there was a way I could start focusing on this now.
I hope you noticed that I posted some high-quality music files for Sonic and IE but I didn't write any of that music, so I'm not even sure where the GAME of SWAG is in progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderPX View Post
I totally forgot about this thread after my previous boasting, which is an occupational hazard of being me. That being said, it would be pretty awesome if KRSplat could translate my ideas into tracker format, so here's my take on Marbelava:

http://threefingeredsalute.com/_junk/Marbelava.gp5 (Guitar Pro 5 format, my song prototyping program of choice because I usually write on guitar. Also doubles as sheet music with some notes on sample choice )
http://threefingeredsalute.com/_junk/Marbelava.mid (MIDI export of the above for the Guitar Pro impaired)

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Mar 7, 2014, 07:54 AM
I have deleted that upload because Sonic music belongs on a Sonic website and not on a Jazz Jackrabbit website
Old Mar 7, 2014, 07:59 AM
cooba
This message has been deleted by cooba.

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Mar 7, 2014, 09:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by incandescentembers View Post
So the enemies (& bosses) graphics are included in the planet's tileset (if so, how come all the JJ1 tilesets don't have that?)? Or where are they stored?
Intuitively enough, they're stored in the SPRITES.### files.
Quote:
Is this image:
[snop]
covering every single graphic (for every single movement) of all the enemies in Jazz 1?
(not including bosses, since I couldn't find them)
The vast majority, anyway. It doesn't include the generator things from Battleships, off the top of my head, presumably because Dolphman decided they didn't count as enemies. And JJ1 has no code for horizontally flipping sprites, so most enemies have separate frames for facing in either direction, and that image doesn't include that. And it's only so useful, because once you've compiled all those sprites from all those different tilesets into a single image, there's no way for them to retain their palette information.
Quote:
By completely new I mean not only movements / behavior but also graphics.
We're not there yet at a code level.
Quote:
Maybe the question will be silly, but how come no one (pointing at you in first place, since you are the JJ1 convertion master, and I assume that also a huge fan of JJ1) ever tried to bring the JJ1 enemies into JJ2? Don't you think that all the convertions would be much more real and interesting when some world's tiles would be completed with it's enemies?
Nope. It's only in the last few months that such things could be remotely helpful to include in tilesets, so there was no reason in the time before that to fill up the tile count with useless animations. Even now it wouldn't be an ideal solution, but that's getting even more off-topic than the rest of this.

KRSplat, I'm just ignoring you now.

JCF Member

Love & Thunder has disabled reputation

Mar 7, 2014, 10:38 AM
Violet: Theoretically, though, you could use very clever coding to draw a square sprite(I believe there is one somewhere in anims.j2a) scaled down to one pixel, and then change its colour and do this a lot to create a "Sprite". Of course, even simple animations and bounding boxes would be hell, but it is technically possible, right?

KRSplat:

JCF Member

Mar 7, 2014, 09:08 PM
Violet, I dont know why you have to be ignorant toward me, I'm not that ignorant .

I dont see why J2O deleted my post, Violet is the admin there and I just wanted to send him a file. You didnt have to erase it from J2O, because that might prevent Violet from getting a file. It's not that important to me, but it might still be somewhat relevant .

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Mar 8, 2014, 06:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRSplatinum View Post
Violet, I dont know why you have to be ignorant toward me, I'm not that ignorant .

I dont see why J2O deleted my post, Violet is the admin there and I just wanted to send him a file. You didnt have to erase it from J2O, because that might prevent Violet from getting a file. It's not that important to me, but it might still be somewhat relevant .
www.wetransfer.com

JCF Member

Mar 8, 2014, 08:13 AM
Interesting idea Stijn, but 2 MIDI files aren't going to require 10 gigabytes.
It would be faster just to download from a link like this:

MIDI sonic music
http://www.sendspace.com/file/63g5je

This might be vaporware, considering this has accurate notation for Green Hill Zone but it's not looped and it has no samples or synths to replace the highly irritating MIDI library that still comes with Windows. They sound quite a bit better when played with Winamp compared to when played with IE or OpenMPT - but this music needs drastic improvement over time.

Administrator

Mar 8, 2014, 08:15 AM
Indeed, so don't put it on J2O.

My patience has limits by the way, so just stop doing stupid shit like this.

JCF Member

Mar 8, 2014, 08:57 AM
İm not sure what you mean. Are you saying it's bad to post about Sonic on J2O?
İf it is, then it should be stated in the rules. İm not going to stop posting just because you post telling me to stop posting. İts counterintuitive. You have authority to ban, yet you instead tell me to stop posting? How is that logical or reasonable? You expect me to be qüiet when İm on this forum yet theres no point to even posting if all the JCF readership is asking for no more posting, while posters are just being hypocrites .

Administrator

Mar 8, 2014, 10:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRSplatinum View Post
it should be stated in the rules
Quote:
Originally Posted by the rules
3. Your upload must be related to the Jazz Jackrabbit games.
9. If you upload music, you must be the author and it must be related to the original Jazz Jackrabbit games soundtracks (a remix, for example); no original songs. An exception is the music you upload to accompany your levels.

JCF Member

Mar 8, 2014, 10:15 AM
... KRSplat... Did you just ask for Stijn to ban you?... Am I in the Comedy Café again?

Anyway, on topic, I think the music is fine as it is, although having new music would be a nice touch(But again, not really necessary).
Old Mar 8, 2014, 11:08 AM
KRSplatinum
This message has been deleted by Stijn. Reason: I'm done with this

JCF Éminence Grise

Mar 8, 2014, 12:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo4900 View Post
although having new music would be a nice touch(But again, not really necessary).
I did try, but nobody ever produced a .psm before (or after) the release, and even the subset of songs I was able to convert from .mid files without crashing JJ1 sounded incomplete or tinny.

JCF Member

Mar 8, 2014, 04:09 PM
İ loaded Süagjazz but crashed at difficulty selection... Slowly rebooting.

JCF Member

Mar 8, 2014, 04:32 PM
Maybe one day we'll actually know how to make PSMs that sound great and don't crash the game. By out luck, though, that will also be the day that Epic announce a HD remake that will include a level editor on the PC version. XD

JCF Member

Mar 8, 2014, 04:42 PM
I'm looking at using MPXplay as an audio palybkac format for this game $v$

https://soundcloud.com/jordanjett/emeraldus

https://soundcloud.com/jordanjett/em...gjazz-remix-t3

Last edited by KRSplatinum; Mar 8, 2014 at 05:02 PM.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 02:17 PM
cooba
This message has been deleted by cooba.

JCF Éminence Grise

Mar 12, 2014, 03:04 PM
please don't quote this entire post and all its tall images

Some years back, someone wanted to make their own level with what was then known as "Hillgrius," and I asked that they wait until the full thing was released since changes might occur in the meantime. Since then, the grass and trees got redrawn, the background mountains got replaced, and a few other such changes did in fact occur. But there's no such event to wait for now; had this been a JJ2 episode, the tilesets would be easy-to-reuse .j2t files; and since the graphics are nearly all edited from JJ1 stuff anyway, it's not like there's any copyright stuff to think about. So here are all twelve tilesets that I made for SWAG, and you can use them or edit them in any way and for any game you like so long as you acknowledge where you got them in the first place. Click the checkboxes to view the tilesets from the hidden zones, which I've left invisible by default in case you're still trying to find some of them.

(The same openness of permission applies to the sprites, btw, but if you're knowledgeable enough to be able to use them for something, you're knowledgeable enough to figure out how to extract them on your own. Likewise if you want to make your own JJ1 levels in J1E/J1LES using the SWAG tilesets and sprites and defined events, that's cool too. Just make your own layouts.)

JCF Member

ThunderPX is doing well so far

Jun 19, 2014, 07:17 AM
http://jptv.threefingeredsalute.com:.../marbelava.s3m

Learned how to use a mod tracker just for this yw

convert.exe mostly works on this, but the pitch bends get fucked up--it looks like they all get divided by 2 when they should be multiplied by 2 to sound the same in PSM. Long story short, I gotta multiply all my pitch bends by 4 to make them sound right after conversion.

A more pressing matter, though, is that the "B" function in S3M (which skips to another pattern) seems to be removed upon conversion. Perhaps it doesn't exist in the PSM format, which would be a shame since the first pattern is meant to be skipped upon looping.

JCF Éminence Grise

Dec 25, 2019, 11:34 AM
You may now play SWAG in your web browser!

JCF Member

Primpy is an asset to this forumPrimpy is an asset to this forum

Dec 25, 2019, 02:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet CLM View Post
The wonders of modern browsers. Very neat!

"Floppy ears and a big butt?" - Slaz

JCF Éminence Grise

Dec 25, 2019, 04:26 PM
Indeed!

Actually, since I went to the trouble of uploading all that javascript, why not make it a bit more versatile?

Click here to play in your browser Lost Ages!
Click here to play in your browser Mission Spaz: Foreseeable Future!

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Dec 26, 2019, 06:02 AM
Very interesting.

How much work would have to be put into Bad Seed to make it compatible with the launcher?

JCF Éminence Grise

Dec 26, 2019, 09:13 AM
Sure, the launcher is "just" DOSBox coded in javascript, same as what the internet archive uses... I could be uploading anything I wanted, Keen mods or whatever, and it'd theoretically work just the same. What's specifically going on is that it reads all the files from a single zip, and I have one zip each for SWAG, LA, and MS:FF, each of which contains all the files needed to play JJ1. So unless there's some good way to override the file loading code (unlikely, because this is not your grandmother's javascript, and "you can’t store different content (from different archives) into one path" isn't promising) to convince it to read certain files from one place but everything else from another, like a good mod loader, there'd need to be another single zip for Bad Seed containing everything JJ1 needs to run normally plus those specific level/tileset/etc. files. Or maybe like somebody could compile multiple singleton custom JJ1 levels into a single zip, that would be more efficient.

ETA: I got a response. Will have to try this out soon.

Last edited by Violet CLM; Dec 28, 2019 at 08:27 AM.

JCF Éminence Grise

Jan 19, 2020, 05:50 PM
Okay, I got Bad Seed (and everything else) working by coding up a mod loader.

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Jan 20, 2020, 01:25 PM
I love that the answer to my question is "none whatsoever".

JCF Éminence Grise

Jan 20, 2020, 03:55 PM
I'll have you know I artisanally renamed several files to use .000 extensions.