Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » JCS & Scripting

What music file types does JJ2 support?

JCF Member

Puffie40 is doing well so far

Jan 7, 2005, 11:21 AM
Question What music file types does JJ2 support?

Do any of you guys remember what kind of music is supported? I know some of them are .Mod, .S3M, .It, .Xm, .669... Uh, any others?

I am asking because I have some ".IMF" (MIDI Files coded by Apogee) files I extracted from Duke Nukem 2. I needed to download a plugin for winamp to play them. I was wondering if these can play in jj2?
Nielsje

JCF Member

Nielsje is doing well so far

Jan 7, 2005, 11:36 AM
.j2b

Stealth Admin

Torkell is a forum legendTorkell is a forum legendTorkell is a forum legend

Jan 7, 2005, 12:00 PM
If they're MIDI then I doubt it. You could try MID2XM, which is somewhere on http://www.un4seen.com/

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Jan 7, 2005, 12:04 PM
I'm pretty sure .imf is not supported. Odds are that Modplug Player can play them, so you could probably open your .imf files in that and resave them as compatible .it files.

...or XM. Or MOD. Or whatever.

JCF Member

Blackraptor is an asset to this forumBlackraptor is an asset to this forum

Jan 7, 2005, 12:09 PM
I think jj2 might be able to play .mtm, but I only remember having an experience with that only once and don't see many .mtms anyways.

JCF Member

Jan 7, 2005, 04:49 PM
I can convert .imf to .wav I have not tryed the .imf files in jj2 yet.

BTW, what is the maxium size a music file should be? 1mb? .wav is the biggest file this side of .mp3, and I have to reduce the quality to save it as a .midi to convert to a .mod...

JCF Veteran

Tubz is doing well so far

Jan 7, 2005, 08:56 PM
-.mod
-.xm
-.it
-.s3m
-.j2b

I believe that's it...

"Jewel is the Metallica of Yodelling." ~Edwin McCain
"Yes, it's a personal attack if you save my picture about internet safety" ~Labratkid
"You know what JBL? The only reason you were WWE Champion for a year was because Triple H didn't want to work Tuesdays!" ~Paul Heyman, addressing the public at the "ECW: One Night Stand" PPV on Sunday, June 12, 2005

JCF Member

Jan 7, 2005, 09:40 PM
Tried playing a .imf in jj2. As expected, no luck. I'll convert these to .wav and then to .midi. (This is pretty much the same route I use for .mp3 to .mod)

JCF Member

DoubleGJ has disabled reputation

Jan 8, 2005, 01:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Rabbit
I'm pretty sure .imf is not supported. Odds are that Modplug Player can play them, so you could probably open your .imf files in that and resave them as compatible .it files.

...or XM. Or MOD. Or whatever.
Odds? MPTrack can also open midi files, but you need to reinsert the samples in orded to hear something. And about mtm - so far I have two of these files, and yes, one of them IS Night5. No 669 so far tho'.

Two Games Joined releases:
Control / Splinter (twin singles)
|| Ballistic Bunny (EP)
||
Beyond (maxi-single)
|| Beyond: Remixed (remix EP)
|| Inner Monsters OST (mini-album)
||
Shadows (album)

JCF Member

Blackraptor is an asset to this forumBlackraptor is an asset to this forum

Jan 8, 2005, 08:12 AM
I've seen musics used in jj2 that are 2.02 MB or o, but the bigger the music the more chance of a memory error you'll get. I had a 1.76 MB music that worked fine in SP, but wouldn't let me play it in multiplayer, so I had to downsize a whole bunch of samples to get it down to about 1.20 MB.

JCF Member

Grytolle is a forum legendGrytolle is a forum legendGrytolle is a forum legend

Jan 8, 2005, 01:16 PM
I never play w/ lvl-music...
..I listen to music of my own choice ;-D

JCF Veteran

Tubz is doing well so far

Jan 9, 2005, 07:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffie40
Tried playing a .imf in jj2. As expected, no luck. I'll convert these to .wav and then to .midi. (This is pretty much the same route I use for .mp3 to .mod)
If you are real good at converting .mp3 to .mod, can you help me out please? Like meaning that you can convert it without a gigantic filesize, or lost of quality. Or it would be easier if I convert it into mp3PRO.

"Jewel is the Metallica of Yodelling." ~Edwin McCain
"Yes, it's a personal attack if you save my picture about internet safety" ~Labratkid
"You know what JBL? The only reason you were WWE Champion for a year was because Triple H didn't want to work Tuesdays!" ~Paul Heyman, addressing the public at the "ECW: One Night Stand" PPV on Sunday, June 12, 2005

Stealth Admin

Torkell is a forum legendTorkell is a forum legendTorkell is a forum legend

Jan 10, 2005, 02:30 AM
Couple of points to note: Firstly, you can't convert wav to midi. They're completely different file types - a wav is a stream of raw audio data, while a midi contains instructions like "play note D for 1/2 second with instrument #23", where the instruments are the standard 128 General MIDI ones (yeah, I know you can use DLS, but that's beside the point).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derivative
If you are real good at converting .mp3 to .mod, can you help me out please? Like meaning that you can convert it without a gigantic filesize, or lost of quality. Or it would be easier if I convert it into mp3PRO.
You'll get either a gigantic filesize or a loss of quality. Again, completely different file types. mp3 is compressed raw audio data, and a mod is like a midi but contains the samples in the files. The key thing is that mods contain uncompressed samples, so there's no way you can get small fiilesize and good quality.

JCF Member

Feb 8, 2005, 12:39 AM
I find I have to open the .wav in Microsoft sound recorder, save in a lower quality, then open it in modplug. I aim for a 1 mb .Midi, then i'm cool. Modplug just plays the music like a big sample.

Anyway, I have these Duke 2 MP3's hanging around. If you are interested in getting them, send me a email.