Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

Karrot Shire

HorvatM

JCF Member

HorvatM is doing well so far

Dec 5, 2007, 08:53 AM
Why are you so obsessed with the source code? JJ2 is JJ2, what more do you expect? To call yourself a fan you should accept JJ2 with all its faults.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 01:14 PM
Violet CLM
This message has been deleted by Violet CLM. Reason: sarcasm gets you nowhere
FireSworD

JCF Member

FireSworD is an asset to this forumFireSworD is an asset to this forum

Dec 5, 2007, 09:09 PM
Why?
master sven

JCF Member

master sven is doing well so far

Dec 5, 2007, 11:46 PM
They should just send that letter right now :P. I might be there sunday...

<iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/th3a.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204"></iframe>

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Dec 6, 2007, 03:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by master sven View Post
They should just send that letter right now

...."they"?

JCF Member

WadlCury is doing well so far

Dec 6, 2007, 04:42 AM
Anyway, to get back on topic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJazz View Post
Why are you so obsessed with the source code? JJ2 is JJ2, what more do you expect? To call yourself a fan you should accept JJ2 with all its faults.
Karrot Shire is all about getting the most out of JJ2. Carrotpie and I are trying to build this system on top of JJ2 and hereby overcoming some of Jazz2's shortcomings. The utility is used to add extra functions to the game, so yes, in a way we are modifying the game heavily =)

Have you yet noticed the utility's auto-update system? It's going to be very handy to be able to have the utility update automatically, for example if there is a serious bug to be fixed.

JCF Member

Olsen is doing well so far

Dec 6, 2007, 07:50 AM
I applaud you for awesomeness.

This will rock.

JCF Member

Birdie is doing well so far

Dec 6, 2007, 06:42 PM
I already made a bot. (luls)

JCF Member

~NeonFire372~ is doing well so far

Dec 7, 2007, 10:24 AM
The utility crashes immediately in Vista. :/

JCF Member

Dec 7, 2007, 11:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~NeonFire372~ View Post
The utility crashes immediately in Vista. :/
I'm using Vista aswell, and at first it didn't work... What does the error say? If it is complaining about the DLL file, go to karrot.here.ws , and at downloads, pick the DLL download. Put it in the directory the site says ( I can't remember which one )

Otherwise, please tell me what the error is about.

For the people who are interested in what the storyline goes about... Here is the introduction!
Storyline

A great day for the inhabitants of Carotus: The holiday season has started! Ordering tickets as fast as you can at Karrot Tours, you decide to go to a nice place called Karrot Shire.
The flight captain is as happy as allways. “Hey everyone, around now you should be able to see our destination!”
But as the plane draws closer to Karrot Shire, something seems to be wrong.
“I’m not getting any signal from the airport!” says the captain to the second captain. “Just try again.”
Suddenly, the plane starts to act strange, tilt and bump everywhere. “What happened?? All engines fell out at once!!” “Try the extra engines, quick!”
Pushing and pulling all buttons the captains could, but the plane did do nothing but fall down out of the sky.
“Ladies and gentleman, fasten your seatbelts!!”
Then all went quiet…
You looked around you. The plane was crashed, everywhere fire. Luckily enough, it seemed that no one got hurt! Leaving the crashsite, the inhabitants of Karrot Shire are kind enough to help you out, and slowly you discover that the crash has everything to do with a group of rabbits that want nothing but bad things…

I'm trying to get the storyline as good as it can be. I'm hoping that it will feature atleast 25 quests. And if you think thats not enough, there are allways side-quests to do!

Carrotpie

JCF Member

~NeonFire372~ is doing well so far

Dec 7, 2007, 03:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WadlCury View Post
I'm using Vista aswell, and at first it didn't work... What does the error say? If it is complaining about the DLL file, go to karrot.here.ws , and at downloads, pick the DLL download. Put it in the directory the site says ( I can't remember which one )

Otherwise, please tell me what the error is about.

For the people who are interested in what the storyline goes about... Here is the introduction!
Storyline

A great day for the inhabitants of Carotus: The holiday season has started! Ordering tickets as fast as you can at Karrot Tours, you decide to go to a nice place called Karrot Shire.
The flight captain is as happy as allways. “Hey everyone, around now you should be able to see our destination!”
But as the plane draws closer to Karrot Shire, something seems to be wrong.
“I’m not getting any signal from the airport!” says the captain to the second captain. “Just try again.”
Suddenly, the plane starts to act strange, tilt and bump everywhere. “What happened?? All engines fell out at once!!” “Try the extra engines, quick!”
Pushing and pulling all buttons the captains could, but the plane did do nothing but fall down out of the sky.
“Ladies and gentleman, fasten your seatbelts!!”
Then all went quiet…
You looked around you. The plane was crashed, everywhere fire. Luckily enough, it seemed that no one got hurt! Leaving the crashsite, the inhabitants of Karrot Shire are kind enough to help you out, and slowly you discover that the crash has everything to do with a group of rabbits that want nothing but bad things…

I'm trying to get the storyline as good as it can be. I'm hoping that it will feature atleast 25 quests. And if you think thats not enough, there are allways side-quests to do!

Carrotpie
I'm just impatient. I waited 20 seconds, it went into an update that took like 6 minutes to do on my infamously slow internet, locked up for another 20 seconds and worked.
master sven

JCF Member

master sven is doing well so far

Dec 8, 2007, 12:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooba View Post

...."they"?
We*

<iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/th3a.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204"></iframe>

JCF Member

Speeza is an asset to this forumSpeeza is an asset to this forum

Dec 8, 2007, 02:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJazz View Post
I agree , maybe we should make a cult called true jazz fans lol.

Anyway i want the 16th to happen faster! , this is gonna be a big event.

Your friendly JCF Hillybilly
DavidkazBest poster of 2010 ! [GpW]

JCF Member

Jerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legend

Dec 8, 2007, 04:27 AM
Big events need time to become big. Let's keep it the 16th.

JCF Member

Dec 8, 2007, 08:49 AM
We got reasons to wait 'till the 16th The level seems to be quite finished, but the utility needs some more time. We would like to make sure you have some quests to do to start with
(doesn't the Storyline sounds cool or what? :P )

Oh and its great to see how many people allready have created an account! With Falcury and me in the server aswell, there would be 37 people!! If there come even more people signing up this week, we might put on a second server (too bad that we can't fit all in one server together =P)

Banned

Odin is doing well so far

Dec 8, 2007, 11:52 AM
Dunno if anyone posted it, but I made a convenient conversion table for JJ2 players to figure out when Karrot Shire starts:

GMT +2 (Israel): 12 AM
GMT +1 (The Netherlands): 11 AM
GMT 0 (England): 10 AM
GMT -4 (Newfoundland): 6 AM
GMT -5 (Eastern Standard Time): 5 AM
GMT -6 (Central Time): 4 AM
GMT -7 (Mountain Time): 3 AM
GMT -8 (Pacific Time): 2 AM

If you live in the US and are planning to join Karrot Shire when it opens, wake up extra early/stay up extra late.

JCF Member

Dec 8, 2007, 11:34 PM
The people in the US have nothing to worry, as I'll host Karrot Shire the whole day. I might have to go in the evening, where Falcury will (hopefully) pick up the server and host further. And like I said in my last post, we got two servers when things get crowded, and I'll just let the server stay on if there are too many people on the time I need to go.

Banned

Odin is doing well so far

Dec 8, 2007, 11:38 PM
Quote:
The people in the US have nothing to worry, as I'll host Karrot Shire the whole day. I might have to go in the evening, where Falcury will (hopefully) pick up the server and host further. And like I said in my last post, we got two servers when things get crowded, and I'll just let the server stay on if there are too many people on the time I need to go.
Still, though, I'm sure many people (like myself) will want to be present for the opening of Karrot Shire, no doubt an important event for the Jazz 2 community, and the modding community in general.

JCF Member

Dec 9, 2007, 05:28 AM
Does anyone think it might pic up more people than jazz annerversery?

JCF Member

Black Ninja is an asset to this forumBlack Ninja is an asset to this forum

Dec 9, 2007, 01:28 PM
I'd like to state for anyone who cares (probably no one) that Mac users won't be able to get this to work properly without using Parallels or booting into Windows (via Boot Camp). It will not work under Mac OS X no matter what I do to it.

JCF Member

Jerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legend

Dec 9, 2007, 01:30 PM
I think it will. AB's are not really popular anymore afaict. Have seen many empty servers last AB.

Will there be special Winter, Spring and Autumn styles in the future?
And will ye make a video of the first, say, half an hour of KS?

JCF Member

Dec 9, 2007, 02:19 PM
Its funny that you ask that... I'd allready thought about that, I would certainly like to have something seasonal in KS... Like in winter time there would be snow piles everywhere etc... But for some idea's, we need to modify the tileset (again).

Also the video was in my planning. But I really have NO idea how I would make the grande opening a cool thing. Anyone suggestions?
Like something that I create a special building for the opening, around 10 minutes after the opening of the server we'll have a party in there, with "coin-rain" and other small games, and a countdown clock or something (trigger)... Does that sound fun?

Furthermore, Falcury and I are really flattered and thank you all for all those great comments and compliments till now. It certainly makes us feel good =) And it does give me inspiration and energy to try and make everything as close to perfect as possible

Carrotpie

Question!! Please read this and say what you think about it!

Okay, lets say that there would show up 30 people in the server (filling it completely) and the lag would get SO bad, that the server even crashes before the grande opening! xD (LOL)
How about that we run different servers, allowing up to ... 15-20 people or so... I'm sure the lag would be alot less then, but it COULD make it less fun because : your friends cant join the same server cause its full , its completely deserted in your server, those kind of things...

What do YOU think that is best for Karrot Shire, but most important : what's best for YOU ?

JCF Member

Dec 9, 2007, 04:14 PM
hmmm. make 2 , as it would be best for the community!.

JCF Member

Dec 9, 2007, 05:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeza View Post
hmmm. make 2 , as it would be best for the community!.
The maximum amount of seperate connections is 16, the rest of the players must all be splitscreeners (very unlikely)

JCF Member

Dec 9, 2007, 11:10 PM
I think we forgot to mention it, but to play Karrot Shire:

- You need to play with one player (the util can't work with splitscreen).
- You need to play in a window, not fullscreen.

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Dec 10, 2007, 08:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrythabest View Post
AB's are not really popular anymore afaict. Have seen many empty servers last AB.
Well I have been playing JJ2 basically all the time during the last Bash's four days, including most of its events, so I have no idea what are you talking about.

JCF Member

Dec 11, 2007, 01:54 PM
@cooba: I'm talking about the bash servers.. just joined them randomly over the day and didn't see many peoples.

@Carrotpie: Considering you can only have 16 connections, I'd suggest you limit the number of players to 16 and start an extra server if the player count reaches it, or looks like it's going to reach it.

JCF Veteran

Dec 11, 2007, 01:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrythabest View Post
I'm talking about the bash servers..
So am I, apparently.
MaSaMuNe LegenD

JCF Member

MaSaMuNe LegenD is doing well so far

Dec 12, 2007, 06:32 AM
This looks like a pretty sweet idea! If you guys need help hosting the server, my computer is free to host it from 12:00 AM - 3:00 PM GMT - 5 (5:00 AM - 8:00 PM GMT + 0 ) I'll definately check this out.

JCF Member

Dec 12, 2007, 02:00 PM
Just posted a message in the RabbitJournal. Vote and it'll reach the front page!

JCF Veteran

Dec 12, 2007, 02:14 PM
Way to vote using a double account, "WadlCury1".

JCF Member

Dec 12, 2007, 02:14 PM
I voted , everyone vote please. The more people that know about it the better.

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Dec 12, 2007, 02:21 PM
It's been promoted.

Though, as cooba said, do not use a double account again, or measures will have to follow. Double accounts are forbidden by the J2O rules, you know.

JCF Member

Dec 12, 2007, 02:51 PM
Now don't dissapoint us

JCF Member

Dec 12, 2007, 03:48 PM
Now that you bring it up...
Yes I know... =( It was a mistake. Carrotpie an I voted independently of each other. "WadlCury1" was created because we lost access to the old account at some point.

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Dec 12, 2007, 03:59 PM
Quote:
"WadlCury1" was created because we lost access to the old account at some point.
But you voted for promotion with both "WadlCury" and "WadlCury1". Kind of hard to do without a password I'd say

JCF Member

Dec 12, 2007, 11:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stijn View Post
Kind of hard to do without a password I'd say
I recently regained access, thanks to the fact that the password was still in Firefox' password system. We figured we'd use the old account again.
BTW, now I am having issues with changing the password after resetting it OR logging in after this. After it is changed, not a single password seems to work for me anymore.

And now, to liven things up a little, here's a new tidbit about Karrot Shire.
You may wonder how we cope with only having 16 text strings and 32 triggers. Well, we don't. I'd say we have approximately 100 strings and about 50 triggers in use right now. This is achieved by using a dynamic "district" system for texts and triggers, so when you leave an area (district) in the level and enter another, you get a new set of strings. Memory editing sure is cool
(I remember Neobeo's Firetruck doing some similar nifty things as well, but in a different way.)

JCF Member

Dec 13, 2007, 06:37 AM
Quote:
This is achieved by using a dynamic "district" system for texts and triggers
It would only be for the texstrings, the triggers it is just the way they are put into the level. :)

JCF Member

DoubleGJ has disabled reputation

Dec 13, 2007, 04:12 PM
Most likely I won't be able to be at the grand opening, I have to go home this weekend and there's no JJ2 there ATM. How long will the beta test run?

Two Games Joined releases:
Control / Splinter (twin singles)
|| Ballistic Bunny (EP)
||
Beyond (maxi-single)
|| Beyond: Remixed (remix EP)
|| Inner Monsters OST (mini-album)
||
Shadows (album)

JCF Member

Dec 14, 2007, 05:40 AM
I'll be hosting the server untill a time around 10 PM - 11 PM (gmt+1). It mostly depends on how many people are still in the server.

Carrotpie

O my!!

Maybe some of you'd allready noticed, the site is behaving very strange!! People who want to visit Karrot.here.ws can end up on "myspaces" sites etc... Bit strange bug! This is probably a bug at the domain/servers itselves, so we can do nothing about it for now.. Hope it will be fixed soon, we cant have this with Karrot Shire this close!!

Last edited by WadlCury; Dec 14, 2007 at 01:28 PM.

JCF Member

Dermo should make better posts

Dec 15, 2007, 12:41 PM
It says please join server right now but i can't find server

Do you like Stijn? Take my poll!

Windows is not a virus. A virus is small and efficient...

Note to Stijn: how am i even getting away with this