Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » JCS & Scripting

Need help for JJ2 fan-levels

JCF Member

Crazy Rabbit is doing well so far

Feb 4, 2011, 07:03 PM
Question Need help for JJ2 fan-levels

I'm working on JCS levels 2...or 3 years...
But i still don't understand, how level may be good.

I need hints or idea of how make good CTF level with awesome gameplay...
(no need hints for eyecandy. At least i know it...)

Can someone help me? What need for good level?

JCF Member

Troglobite is a forum legendTroglobite is a forum legendTroglobite is a forum legend

Feb 4, 2011, 09:00 PM
I'm afraid you're going to be disappointed by any answers you get here. There is no formula for a good CTF level. But here are a few pointers that may be useful:

1. Practice. I know this is kind of the default response to a question like this, and I know that you've been making levels for a good amount of time, and I know you've already practiced a lot. But it's still very true. Just keep working at it, and don't get discouraged if your levels aren't quite as fun as you want yet. The more you make, the better they'll be, and this will always be the case, even if you have been making levels for 20 or 30 years.

2. Listen. Get other people's opinions on your levels. Beta-testing is an awesome way to figure out what works in your levels, and what doesn't. Try to hear from as many different people as possible. Remember, the levels are your levels, and the people who review them aren't perfect and don't know everything. You can't please everyone, and you shouldn't try to make every change anyone suggests. But also remember you're not perfect and don't know everything either. No matter how much you enjoy a certain gimmick or feature in your level, it may simply not be as much fun as you think for other people.

3. Get inspired. Play your favorite CTF levels. Figure out why they're your favorite. Try to understand the level creators' reasons for making the level how it is. Try to understand the locations of the power-ups, carrots, and bases. But don't forget the less obvious things. How many different ways can a player get from one base to another? How good is the level's "flow?" But remember, these are other people's levels, and they've already been made. Trying to understand the mentality of the level creator does not mean copying other people's work.

4. Learn. There were several previous threads on JCF about the theory behind gameplay. I remember one in particular was about X shaped levels and ended up with some pretty useful discussion of paths in a level and what tends to work and what doesn't. Asking for advice on this thread was probably a good idea and could get you some neat tips from the more experienced level creators.

5. Have fun. Do what you enjoy. It will keep you from getting bored and giving up on a level. Also, as much as learning from previously created levels can help, sometimes you just have to go with a crazy idea. Sometimes a bit of absurd can make a level awesome. Of course, often times ridiculous levels end up playing awfully and you may have to just throw them out. But experimenting with them can be great fun anyway.

I'm by no means an expert on JCS, and this is just what I thought of off the top of my head, so I may have missed some really important stuff. But I hope some of this advice is useful.

Lexicographer: Someone who writes dictionaries
Neophyte: A novice, or newbie
Hemisemidemiquaver: In music, a sixty-fourth note

Exit Troglobite, Stage Left

JCF Member

Crazy Rabbit is doing well so far

Feb 5, 2011, 12:04 AM
3. But what to do if you haven't internet on your PC...Play CTF alone?

5.Yeah, i had enjoyed when i did Mountain Town. Sometime I will do it one more time ... ^.^

Thanks Troglobite! I'll do my best in JCS!

JCF Member

Troglobite is a forum legendTroglobite is a forum legendTroglobite is a forum legend

Feb 5, 2011, 12:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Rabbit View Post
3. But what to do if you haven't internet on your PC...Play CTF alone?
Playing CTF alone doesn't tell you much about the gameplay. It works for things like figuring out how the flow is, but it's very hard to notice balance issues or if the carrot is too easy to camp and such. I would suggest trying to get someone else to host for you, if at all possible.

Also, I remember Mountain Town. That level was a great deal of fun.

You're welcome.

Lexicographer: Someone who writes dictionaries
Neophyte: A novice, or newbie
Hemisemidemiquaver: In music, a sixty-fourth note

Exit Troglobite, Stage Left
LegendaryDreamer

JCF Member

LegendaryDreamer is notorious for his worthless posts

Feb 6, 2011, 07:17 PM
Crazy Rabbit, there's an article I wrote a long time ago, just before I left, about tips on how to make good ctf levels. You can access it by clicking here. I hope this will help!