Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

Anniversary Bash 15

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Oct 18, 2012, 09:00 AM
Anniversary Bash 15

Quote:
Perhaps a tad early, but it might be a good idea to discuss organization, levels etc early on.
The 15th anniversary of the entire community is in half a year, and unless some small miracle happens (for the past several months the level design scene has been at its lowest yet) the lists are going to be abysmal. Not to mention the terrible attendance in this year's bash.

What should we do to make the 15th a bang and not a whimper?
i:m

JCF Member

i:m is doing well so far

Oct 18, 2012, 09:31 AM
a level competition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JCF Member

Foly has disabled reputation

Oct 18, 2012, 09:53 AM
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooba View Post
What should we do to make the 15th a bang and not a whimper?
Only put levels with firework or explosions or big bangs in the level list!

(Thrust me it will work)
[13:07:13] *** Foly is on a KILLING SPREE!
[13:07:14] *** you killed yourself
[13:07:14] *** Foly was looking good but died instead...

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Oct 18, 2012, 09:59 AM
Focus on other things than levels/public servers. Host a grand tournament, publish a series of interviews/background articles, do a "where are they now?????", a "top 15 [whatever]", stuff like that.

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Oct 18, 2012, 10:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stijn View Post
where are they now?????
This would be cool but who would it be about? DethMan?

JCF Member

KRSplat is a forum legendKRSplat is a forum legend

Oct 18, 2012, 10:12 AM
Host levels that have pictures of Britney Spears
Quote:
This would be cool but who would it be about? DethMan?
it could be about players active today. in 6 months they might be gone
Quote:
(for the past several months the level design scene has been at its lowest yet)
Make new levels before bash
Old Oct 18, 2012, 10:14 AM
KRSplat
This message has been deleted by KRSplat. Reason: DP
FireSworD

JCF Member

FireSworD is an asset to this forumFireSworD is an asset to this forum

Oct 18, 2012, 03:09 PM
A group of motivated people making levels for the bash, or a level making competition. Preferably the latter, because the jjnet duel tournament contest was very successful at providing levels for the bash. However, most of the levels are around what is currently considered duel size, and it'd probably be better to make larger levels for the bash. If you make a contest for ideal bash size levels, I'm not sure if it'd work quite as well.

Also, what does everyone really want to play for the bash? - What in your opinion would be the ideal level to play?

Let's not forget there were some levels made before bash 14 that weren't in put in the packs, and nearly finished levels I think are decent (Finish them?).

Remakes are an option, albeit a lazy one.

So, anything that can motivate people to make levels really.

Last edited by FireSworD; Jun 9, 2014 at 05:29 PM.

JCF Member

Love & Thunder has disabled reputation

Oct 18, 2012, 09:05 PM
I'm probably going to be yelled at or something for saying this, but the reason I didn't attend this year's Bash was because almost all the levels used MP3 Music, and since I don't have Plus, I was unable to play, so maybe I'm not alone?
Basically, next year, maybe we should stick to music that JJ2 natively supports, so that even people who don't know what this site is can still take part?

That might solve attendance(Although the community isn't exactly growing as fast as it used to, and with people leaving the community(Or, in Gus's case, being kicked out), we're having a net loss), but then there's the levels issue, which -- as the others have said -- can be solved with competitions and stuff like that.

And, as Stijn said, it might be a good idea to do various other events, like a Tournament, or something like that.

That's my thoughts on the matter.

JCF Member

Oct 18, 2012, 11:00 PM
There are actually plenty of recent high-rated multiplayer uploads on J2o. However practically none of them have been played several times to my knowledge. Well maybe there are not enough so that there could be a selection of favorites from top reviewed levels. Still compiling those which got best responses so far is worthwhile.

JCF Member

Foly has disabled reputation

Oct 18, 2012, 11:01 PM
As for gamemodes i think it would be nice if treasure hunt/race is hosted (they can be both played in treasure hunt mode). These are gamemodes that where there from the beginning but where always underrated. However i don't think this solves the lack of level problem so unless enough people are motivated for this, it probably doesn't work out.

I think stijns idea is nice. Also instead of hosting levels this year, the bash could be changed to a big bash where the most important levels from the past 15 years are being hosted.
[13:07:13] *** Foly is on a KILLING SPREE!
[13:07:14] *** you killed yourself
[13:07:14] *** Foly was looking good but died instead...

JCF Member

DoubleGJ has disabled reputation

Oct 19, 2012, 03:06 AM
this might sound silly and all, but looking from a very subjective point of view, I think what COULD be putting some people off is the modern level design. see, the thing is, to me most levels nowadays have so much eyecandy, so many layers incorporating things meant for layers 3 and 4, it all gets incredibly convoluted and confusing and just squeezed together into the playable dimension where I have no idea what I'm supposed to walk on. as somewhat of an oldie, I GUESS I could say I have an outdated perception for levels? but if I do, others who aren't as active in the multiplayer scene anymore might have the same issue.

Two Games Joined releases:
Control / Splinter (twin singles)
|| Ballistic Bunny (EP)
||
Beyond (maxi-single)
|| Beyond: Remixed (remix EP)
|| Inner Monsters OST (mini-album)
||
Shadows (album)

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Oct 19, 2012, 03:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo4900 View Post
I'm probably going to be yelled at or something for saying this, but the reason I didn't attend this year's Bash was because almost all the levels used MP3 Music, and since I don't have Plus, I was unable to play, so maybe I'm not alone?
So get Plus?

Not a bad point, though. Total newcomers wouldn't be able to join, though I don't know if people like that still exist, at all. I know older bashes used to replace levels' music settings with default music so there would be no problems like this, but that does sound a bit extreme.

JCF Veteran

Oct 19, 2012, 04:33 AM
Quote:
Total newcomers wouldn't be able to join
They would if they didn't have the MP3s downloaded (if it's not found vanilla won't crash). It would be enough to just slap a warning on the zip.
Vegito

JCF Member

Vegito is an asset to this forum

Oct 19, 2012, 04:34 AM
But asking the creator of such level wouldn't be a big problem. It gives the creator a choice: change the music for bash and let the level be played during the bash ... or don't change it and don't have your level in the bash.

Edit: or that ^

JCF Member

Jgke is an asset to this forumJgke is an asset to this forum

Oct 19, 2012, 10:46 AM
cooba's solution is better in my opinion, it's faster, easier, allows more levels and the only downside I can see right now is that nabs complaining about some level not having music.

JCF Member

Oct 19, 2012, 01:19 PM
What if mp3 files are archived separately?

JCF Member

Oct 19, 2012, 02:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleGJ View Post
this might sound silly and all, but looking from a very subjective point of view, I think what COULD be putting some people off is the modern level design. see, the thing is, to me most levels nowadays have so much eyecandy, so many layers incorporating things meant for layers 3 and 4, it all gets incredibly convoluted and confusing and just squeezed together into the playable dimension where I have no idea what I'm supposed to walk on. as somewhat of an oldie, I GUESS I could say I have an outdated perception for levels? but if I do, others who aren't as active in the multiplayer scene anymore might have the same issue.
Low detail?

Administrator

Oct 19, 2012, 03:10 PM
That's an excellent option if you want the game to look like a fragmented mess.

JCF Member

Love & Thunder has disabled reputation

Oct 19, 2012, 07:05 PM
Quote:
So get Plus?
I can't, it isn't compatible with the LK Avalon TSF version of JJ2, and since that's the only version of JJ2 I own, I'm unable to get Plus. :L

Back on subject, though, I'm pretty sure that Vanilla crashes if it doesn't find Music. Although, I've never tested it online, so I'm probably wrong. XD
Oh, and if Vanilla JJ2 does indeed cope without the Music Files when playing online, KRSplat's idea(Having the MP3s in a seperate Archive) could be quite good.

JCF Member

minmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesome

Oct 20, 2012, 09:14 AM
Not finding the music file is one of the few things guaranteed *not* to crash JJ2's music system.

Anyways we should just make it so JJ2 supports animations and generators and stuff tied to mod pattern data and then get tigsource or someone to call it a REVOLUTIONARY MUSIC-BASED RETRO PLATFORMER or some junk like that, and I'm thinking that would solve our attendance problems

JCF Member

PurpleJazz is OFF DA CHARTPurpleJazz is OFF DA CHARTPurpleJazz is OFF DA CHART

Oct 20, 2012, 01:36 PM
I'm seconding Stijn's proposal - lets shake things up a bit. Most active JJ2 players get easily bored of wandering around in public servers for more than about 10 minutes. The bash desperately needs a makeover to appeal more to the current community - more planned events, tournaments, competitions, articles, whatever - anything that draws people into playing JJ2 again for the bash - for reasons other than simply "paying homage".

I would like to help organise something if anyone else is willing. I've been considering hosting a stream featuring live chat and interviews with past and present players during the duration of the bash, though obviously this would take some doing to get everyone together. I reckon anything's worth a shot if it revives interest in the game, even if only for the few days the bash takes place over.

If I have time I'll try to cook something up in JCS too - though I'm incredibly lazy on that front!

JCF Member

Oct 20, 2012, 02:49 PM
One event per day of each custom and default game mode? Tournaments range in lengths from one day tournament to months of tournament. Competitions like level design for different game modes or styles require a judge and usually get nice entries. Articles are topical and current.

We may want to play LRS, TLRS, RT, JB, BR, Assassination, DCTF, CtF, Battle, Treasure, Race. That is why I suggested one event per day. Tournaments like 1v1 could be spontaneous and team tournaments with signups. A competition in level design has to allow entrants time such as a month or two months. Articles could be on topics like recent levels, frog hunt, software applications, clan ladder.

My best contribution could be articles since I have some background in journalism and editorials. I would like to write on subjects of community choice though and take enough time to include proper punctuation. Also I suggest host special bash hotels.

JCF Member

Oct 20, 2012, 04:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleJazz View Post
Most active JJ2 players get easily bored of wandering around in public servers for more than about 10 minutes.
yes verily

I second suggestions contained in the rest of this post as well as propose that this may be a very valid point (meaning what I quoted)

|| Ballistic Bunny (EP)
||
Beyond (maxi-single)
||
Shadows (album)
FireSworD

JCF Member

Oct 20, 2012, 08:12 PM
Previous anniversary bashes already had 'side events' that featured other gametypes, and not all of them were very successful.

Quote:
That's an excellent option if you want the game to look like a fragmented mess.
I don't know exactly what you mean by "fragmented mess", could you be more specific please?

JCF Member

Seren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to all

Oct 21, 2012, 01:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireSworD View Post
I don't know exactly what you mean by "fragmented mess", could you be more specific please?

I am an official JJ2+ programmer and this has been an official JJ2+ statement.

JCF Veteran

Oct 21, 2012, 03:55 AM
How about this: on April 9th, a vanilla JJ2 server hosts the original version of Capture3 all day long.

I guess I can try asking around for interviews again. Also would love to get Dethman around again because when he came around for bash 10 I was so starstruck I didn't ask him anything meaningful...

JCF Member

Oct 21, 2012, 04:04 AM
interview everyone even remotely notable like in the good old days

interview party!!!!!!

|| Ballistic Bunny (EP)
||
Beyond (maxi-single)
||
Shadows (album)

JCF Member

Oct 21, 2012, 08:04 AM
Quote:
How about this: on April 9th, a vanilla JJ2 server hosts the original version of Capture3 all day long.
Yes, this would best honor community tradition and maximize enjoyability.

However, nonplus servers delist.

JCF Member

Oct 21, 2012, 10:08 AM
you don't need to have plus to join a plus server iirc

|| Ballistic Bunny (EP)
||
Beyond (maxi-single)
||
Shadows (album)
FireSworD

JCF Member

Oct 21, 2012, 01:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ementaler View Post
I've seen that, but when I turn low detail off and on again the fragmented mess disappears.
!Tman!

JCF Member

!Tman! is doing well so far

Nov 14, 2012, 08:21 PM
If you host it, they will come.

Oh Hi

JCF Member

Feb 2, 2013, 10:05 PM
The time's approaching, so what are we going to do about this?

Also, I wouldn't let DJazz host the event again. He was a decent host until he decided to take control of the event and switch around level packs to suit "his" needs.

JCF Member

Jgke is an asset to this forumJgke is an asset to this forum

Feb 3, 2013, 01:44 AM
I have a fibre connection, would you like a nice host?
Ragnarok!

JCF Member

Ragnarok! is a forum legendRagnarok! is a forum legend

Feb 3, 2013, 02:25 PM
Now would be a lucrative time for a level contest, with the new plus and bash coming closer.
FireSworD

JCF Member

Feb 4, 2013, 01:34 PM
I might start a contest then, perhaps with another person or many people running it. I hope it would be truly motivating, but the last time I started a contest (with a money prize) I only had several contestants, which isn't very bad, but less than I hoped.

Thoughts?
Toni_

JCF Member

Toni_ is doing well so far

Feb 4, 2013, 01:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireSworD View Post
I might start a contest then, perhaps with another person or many people running it. I hope it would be truly motivating, but the last time I started a contest (with a money prize) I only had several contestants, which isn't very bad, but less than I hoped.

Thoughts?
Sure! I would be in!

JCF Member

djazz is OFF DA CHARTdjazz is OFF DA CHARTdjazz is OFF DA CHART

Mar 25, 2013, 02:23 PM
bump

JCF Member

DarkSonic is doing well so far

Mar 25, 2013, 03:14 PM
I'm a bit worried about the amount of good levels uploaded last year. I hope some people will still be able to release something before the Bash.. I uploaded one level and I made another level after that but that level probably won't be uploaded as a single upload.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_Jarno View Post
What is Distopia
Old Mar 27, 2013, 11:23 AM
Treylina
This message has been deleted by Treylina. Reason: Herpherp pointless post

JCF Member

Newspaz has disabled reputation

Mar 31, 2013, 10:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRSplat View Post
Host levels that have pictures of Britney Spears
Good times... What did happen to Aiko anyway, I haven't seen him in years.

JCF Member

DarkSonic is doing well so far

Apr 3, 2013, 03:06 PM
Ok, so there are a few things that I would like to know. The first thing is, will the Bash be this weekend if there's going to be one? Because I don't think someone has made a list of levels, actually we don't know who will organize the Bash. The other thing is, has anyone made an entry for FireSworD's contest or is that still going on? I think I read that it ended at the start of April.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_Jarno View Post
What is Distopia

Tags
anniversary bash