Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » JCS & Scripting

The Flaming Pants are Cool Contest!

FireSworD

JCF Member

FireSworD is an asset to this forumFireSworD is an asset to this forum

Mar 5, 2017, 09:59 PM
The Flaming Pants are Cool Contest!

The contest name is a reference to the saying "Liar Liar Pants On Fire" and the paradox of how flaming pants aren't cool temperature-wise, but they can be "cool" in another way.

This contest is about making past jj2 hoax screens into playable jj2 levels, presumably by the "magic" of AngelScript, JJ2+ etc.

Rules:
  • Must be Jazz Jackrabbit 2 related. The level's version may be JJ2(+) or TSF(+), but no OEM or other obscure versions.
  • Must be a level of any game-type. They will be judged according to how they suit their purpose.
  • You must be the author of the level, and work from outside sources, with the exception of content on the allowed screenshots, will not be acknowledged. Collaborations for the level are not allowed, as only one person will receive credit. The level's tile-set, music, script etc can all be from outside sources.
  • Only one level per author will be accepted.
  • The level must include concepts that are shown on the hoax screens, and players, relativistic settings etc don't count. You may use these screens, these screens or this screen, but other hoax screens need to be discussed with me for their acceptance in the contest.
  • This is the sacred "I can do anything rule", and this contest is about "All things are possible!".
  • Entries can be sent directly to me by any conventional means or uploaded to j2o or other trusted sites.

Prize: If I get sufficient entries, I will reveal the prize at the end of the deadline. This contest is harder and more abstract than others, so the prize is likely to be relatively big!

Deadline: Extension only by popular demand.

Last edited by FireSworD; Oct 28, 2017 at 04:13 AM.

JCF Member

Jelly Jam is doing well so far

Mar 6, 2017, 02:13 AM
I'll do an easy one just to raise the entry number.

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Mar 6, 2017, 04:50 AM
Most images in the second thread you link are no longer available, and it's a bit tiresome to browse through the thread looking for those that still work (not to mention that they could still disappear). It would be nice if you could host a gallery containing all screenshots that are "pre-approved" somewhere, so it's clearer to participants what kind of hoax they're supposed to be working with.
FireSworD

JCF Member

Mar 6, 2017, 04:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stijn View Post
Most images in the second thread you link are no longer available, and it's a bit tiresome to browse through the thread looking for those that still work (not to mention that they could still disappear). It would be nice if you could host a gallery containing all screenshots that are "pre-approved" somewhere, so it's clearer to participants what kind of hoax they're supposed to be working with.
I simplified the links, but I want people to see the topics, who posted the hoax screens etc. I will post a gallery when/if necessary though. If the images disappear, there's nothing to worry about.

Last edited by FireSworD; Mar 6, 2017 at 06:53 PM.

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Mar 31, 2017, 12:27 PM
Here's my entry. Combines pay-per-kiss Eva while leaves fall with alternate tilesets in Psych3 and dark green water.

Last edited by Violet CLM; Mar 31, 2017 at 07:21 PM.

JCF Member

Primpy is an asset to this forumPrimpy is an asset to this forum

Apr 1, 2017, 01:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet CLM View Post
I haven't checked the level itself (I've got no one to play it with) but the eyecandy seen from the picture looks fantastic.

"Floppy ears and a big butt?" - Slaz
FireSworD

JCF Member

Apr 1, 2017, 09:26 PM
The deadline will be extended to October 28th, 2017.

Last edited by FireSworD; Apr 2, 2017 at 02:25 PM.

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Apr 2, 2017, 06:04 AM
Peak idiocy.

Don't expect J2O to announce the extension.

JCF Member

PurpleJazz is OFF DA CHARTPurpleJazz is OFF DA CHARTPurpleJazz is OFF DA CHART

Apr 2, 2017, 09:13 AM
Here's my entry. I hope I didn't break any rules.

JCF Member

Apr 2, 2017, 10:08 AM
Oh yeah. I forgot about this. Well mine was just a remake of the green water with the wasteland tileset and changed textured bg position with the diamond dust tileset.

JCF Éminence Grise

Apr 2, 2017, 11:32 AM
Okay, here is the problem with the rules as you seemed to intend them to be interpreted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireSworD View Post
You must be the author of the level, and work from outside sources will not be acknowledged. Collaborations for the level are not allowed, as only one person will receive credit. The level's tile-set, music, script etc can all be from outside sources.
Those screenshots use existing levels. This is RIExample.j2l. This is ab8btl14.j2l. This is EvilCTF0102.j2l. This is BRTREASURE1.j2l. This is Share3.j2l. And so on.

Besides, those hoax screenshots when they were posted weren't about level layouts (except the pinball one arguably), because we've all been able to do those since JCS was released. There's nothing special about being able to recreate the positions of a few tiles to match Share3 or whatever, even if it didn't break your other rule to do so.

So I did the only thing anyone thought the contest could mean in order for it to be non-trivial: use the things the hoaxes were actually trying to portray.

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Apr 2, 2017, 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet CLM View Post
This 12 year mystery is finally solved
FireSworD

JCF Member

Apr 2, 2017, 02:22 PM
Along with the deadline extension, I modified and clarified the rules.
FireSworD

JCF Member

Oct 28, 2017, 03:42 AM
Deadline extension? - Only by popular demand.

Last edited by FireSworD; Oct 28, 2017 at 04:13 AM.

JCF Member

Oct 28, 2017, 02:54 PM
Well I got nothing and don't see anyone else willing to participate.

JCF Member

Slaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHART

Nov 7, 2017, 11:03 AM
I'm still terrible with AngelScript so I was never intending to enter this particular contest. I do like the obscure idea and the entries that came out of it.

I'd say, just let Violet or PurpleJazz win. The prize was going to be decided after the contest anyway so you can lower it's worth as you please without anyone knowing the original intentions.

JCF Éminence Grise

Apr 11, 2023, 01:28 AM
Fabian has preserved and restored many more hoax screenshots that been lost along with their hosts, if anyone else is looking for ideas.