Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Maintenance & Feedback » Site and Forum Rules, Questions & Feedback

Future J2O improvements/ideas

JCF Member

Jerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legend

Oct 11, 2011, 06:16 AM
On the JCF, in the User CP, on the List Subscriptions page, the table headers are off. It has been like this for YEARS, I believe it started after an ancient vB update. The 'Thread / Thread starter' column header should be split into two cells since thread starters are listed in a seperate column. This will also correctly align the other headers. The upper and lower rows of the tables (the rows with only one cell in them) should also span one more column.

Also, in the thread listings elsewhere on the forum, the first column is called 'Thread /', suggesting the same problem was seen there previously and (apart from the slash) was fixed some time ago.

JCF Member

Newspaz has disabled reputation

Mar 28, 2012, 12:48 PM
Idea: Write some code to automatically hide the holiday themed background, so it doesn't display when it's nearly April.

JCF Member

PT32 is an asset to this forum

Apr 30, 2012, 08:18 AM
The Poll needs to be updated/fixed/whatevered.

IN DEVELOPMENT:
Renascence: The Last Jackrabbit

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Apr 30, 2012, 08:38 AM
Seeing how the current poll got a whopping 33 votes over 4 months, I'm gonna say it's not worth the effort.

JCF Member

Apr 30, 2012, 03:04 PM
That's because it hasn't been changed in four months.

IN DEVELOPMENT:

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Apr 30, 2012, 05:41 PM
So what you're saying is it would have gotten more votes if it had been up for less time.

JCF Member

May 1, 2012, 03:51 PM
What I'm saying is that because it's been up for so long, people are probably like, "Duhhhh. They haven't changed the poll in, like, forever. Why bother paying attention to it?"

Maybe if we changed up the polls a little more frequently, like we used to in the olden days, that might grab some more attention.

Just a thought.

IN DEVELOPMENT:

JCF Member

CrimiClown is a forum legendCrimiClown is a forum legendCrimiClown is a forum legend

May 2, 2012, 05:20 AM
Well, let's solve this like democrats... With a poll.

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

May 2, 2012, 12:05 PM
Quote:
Stijn hasn’t responded to my requests to fix them.
Passive agressive much?

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

May 2, 2012, 02:21 PM
I have actually received no requests, as far as I can tell. I am obviously aware of the issue - see this post, but I'm incredibly busy at the moment (or rather, I am still incredibly busy), and Jazz2Online is somewhere near the bottom of my priority list if it's not about site-breaking issues.

If anyone else (within reason) wants to give fixing it a try, be my guest.

JCF Member

Seren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to all

Feb 17, 2013, 04:01 PM
I like the new layout of the picture section and how pictures tagged as "jj2meeting" always get displayed on its front page. I request that the same is done to pictures tagged as "1765" or "oman727". I think it would improve J2O. Thanks in advance!

I am an official JJ2+ programmer and this has been an official JJ2+ statement.

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Feb 17, 2013, 04:03 PM
A good point of advice, we will take it into consideration

JCF Member

MrAlextov has disabled reputation

Jun 12, 2013, 06:44 AM
Remove MSN/Windows Live Messager button, MSN is already dead.

Stealth Admin

Torkell is a forum legendTorkell is a forum legendTorkell is a forum legend

Jun 13, 2013, 11:39 AM
Says the person with a MSN link on their profile

More seriously, MSN accounts do still work as Skype accounts.

JCF Member

Jerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legend

Jun 13, 2013, 03:03 PM
In fact they still work as MSN accounts too with a little tweak to Messenger.

JCF Member

Jul 14, 2013, 08:25 AM
Actually Microsoft plan to stop Windows Live I think.

JCF Member

Aug 6, 2013, 06:14 AM
A Combo box that you can select the old design from 2002, 2004 and future design.

JCF Member

Treylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legend

Aug 19, 2013, 10:13 AM
It's probably a better idea to leave plus-only unticked for uploading a level, so newbie uploaders don't leave it there (they likely have no idea what it is). And plus users usually know what features that make a level plus-only. Somehow, the level version specification (for example TSF and plus only) got removed when you go to the page to download. Also, for music-only uploads, can JJ2 version be removed automatically (for remixes)? Also, how about a big warning text this when someone tries to review a plus level, so newbies or unaware players take note that they may not be playing the level the way it's supposed to. A message like this should do;

"WARNING: Reviewing plus only levels when using normal JJ2 is invalid. Don't know what it is? To download and learn about plus, go here: (link)
Did you play this level with JJ2+?
Yes (posts review, and this nag message will no longer be displayed again) No (goes back to download page, and this warning will still appear if you try to review plus only levels again)."

Also, what happened to advanced search? I can only search basic. Also, the instant search bar to the left doesn't work, it takes me to the level search page.

EDIT: Also, how about adding these gamemodes for uploads? Flag Run, Domintation, Jailbreak, Test (you said you added this, though I can't find it at all)

Also, broken important link! http://www.jazz2online.com/113/upload-version/

Jazz Jackrabbit group: https://discord.gg/vZm95tQ

Last edited by Treylina; Aug 19, 2013 at 10:24 AM. Reason: blah

Administrator

Aug 19, 2013, 03:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treylina View Post
It's probably a better idea to leave plus-only unticked for uploading a level, so newbie uploaders don't leave it there (they likely have no idea what it is). And plus users usually know what features that make a level plus-only. Somehow, the level version specification (for example TSF and plus only) got removed when you go to the page to download. Also, for music-only uploads, can JJ2 version be removed automatically (for remixes)? Also, how about a big warning text this when someone tries to review a plus level, so newbies or unaware players take note that they may not be playing the level the way it's supposed to. A message like this should do;

"WARNING: Reviewing plus only levels when using normal JJ2 is invalid. Don't know what it is? To download and learn about plus, go here: (link)
Did you play this level with JJ2+?
Yes (posts review, and this nag message will no longer be displayed again) No (goes back to download page, and this warning will still appear if you try to review plus only levels again)."
When the field wasn't on by default, everyone forgot to tick it. I'd rather have false positives than false negatives in this case.

As for the nag box, it sounds like a lot of effort for a problem I'm not convinced actually exists. Furthermore, there's plenty of methods for level makers to have a warning message displayed to people not using plus while playing the levels. If someone chooses not to use those, well, their loss.

Quote:
Also, what happened to advanced search? I can only search basic. Also, the instant search bar to the left doesn't work, it takes me to the level search page.
Don't know. I don't currently have time to look into this.

Quote:
EDIT: Also, how about adding these gamemodes for uploads? Flag Run, Domintation, Jailbreak, Test (you said you added this, though I can't find it at all)
Yeah, and there's Assault, Last Rabbit Standing, Hide and Seek, and whatnot as well. The "other" category is there for a reason. Unless there's a significant amount of levels with one of those types, I'd suggest using the tag system.

As for Test, I forgot to add it to the selection box on the level upload page. It's included there now.

Quote:
Fixed, thanks

JCF Veteran

Aug 19, 2013, 03:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stijn View Post
The "other" category is there for a reason.
"Custom/Concept"

Administrator

Aug 19, 2013, 03:18 PM
Yeah, I guess that's what I meant

JCF Member

Aug 19, 2013, 05:04 PM
Quote:
As for Test, I forgot to add it to the selection box on the level upload page. It's included there now.
It's still not on the downloads page, though. That's actually what I meant in the first place, though fixing it for the upload page is a good start.

JCF Member

Aug 20, 2013, 03:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooba View Post
"Custom/Concept"
Or just remove the categories altogether and use tags instead? I sounds a bit weird to me to have some inherently incomplete list of categories while tags provide a more flexible means to achieve the same result.

JCF Veteran

Aug 20, 2013, 03:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrythabest View Post
Or just remove the categories altogether and use tags instead?
Not gonna happen.

Administrator

Aug 20, 2013, 05:08 AM
Quote:
It's still not on the downloads page, though. That's actually what I meant in the first place, though fixing it for the upload page is a good start.
Because there's no tests in the database yet, it's not included in the filter. Upload a test and you'll see it appear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrythabest View Post
Or just remove the categories altogether and use tags instead? I sounds a bit weird to me to have some inherently incomplete list of categories while tags provide a more flexible means to achieve the same result.
What cooba said, because:
  • People will forget to tag their uploads, unless it's required
  • People will use different tags even if something is the same level type, unless the tags are from a limited pool of allowed tags
  • In which case we're back to the current system

JCF Member

Aug 21, 2013, 01:08 AM
Aye, that's clear. Was just an idea

JCF Éminence Grise

Aug 21, 2013, 02:23 AM
Right now "Test" and "Conversion" share the same value, 15, in the dropdown box for uploading or reuploading. The rest of the site reads 15 as "Tileset conversion." I've tried submitting the form with a few other (unused) values--16, 12, 13--but only managed to get "Battle," which I suppose is the default case.

Administrator

Aug 22, 2013, 04:14 AM
Fixed

This is what you get when you implement stuff in a hurry

JCF Éminence Grise

Aug 22, 2013, 03:17 PM
It's value 16 now, but downloads still appear to revert to Battle when the form is submitted.

Administrator

Aug 26, 2013, 03:00 AM
asdfghj

fixed

JCF Éminence Grise

Aug 26, 2013, 03:18 AM
Successful! For reuploading, at any rate. Thanks!
Old Aug 28, 2013, 11:45 AM
Seren
This message has been deleted by Sir Ementaler. Reason: Not publicly I guess, don't want to cause chaos.

Administrator

Aug 29, 2013, 05:34 AM
Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean here. I can use the sidebar search to search, and it searches for tag, level name, level type and uploader name. How much more "advanced" do you want it? :P
Toni_

JCF Member

Toni_ is doing well so far

Sep 8, 2013, 02:04 PM
Not sure where to write, but change the Legend icons if you changed icons on download page
AvalancheMaster AvalancheMaster's Avatar

JCF Member

AvalancheMaster is doing well so far

Sep 11, 2013, 06:29 AM
Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean here. I can use the sidebar search to search, and it searches for tag, level name, level type and uploader name. How much more "advanced" do you want it? :P
Chrome seems to have problems with the advanced search, it just doesn't show up. All I can access is the basic search.

Administrator

Sep 11, 2013, 07:48 AM
Yeah, there isn't really an "advanced search", just that one box (that still searches pretty much everything). I should probably relabel that menu item...

JCF Member

Nov 21, 2013, 02:11 PM
I've had a thought that I think the review rating system should require to make a comment as to why you consider the review poor, and perhaps if you consider the review useful as well. Neutral comments on reviews could also be given. I dislike having to make assumptions about why people find my review/s bad. No one likes it when other people jump to conclusions. I would not expect to agree with everyones comments, but at least it may give me a better idea. You could only view comments on your own reviews.

Should it be anonymous? I think the reviewer should be able to reply within those comments, while anonymyty could be preserved.

Also, if new/mediocre reviewers get to find out what to improve on, they might actually be more motivated. Sure, some bad reviews only boil down to lack of detail, but I find a lot less of those appearing lately, so it's no longer the case.

You might be thinking "But why don't they just PM them then?". Because most don't. Also, some may just rate down/up reviews for personal reasons, so with this system, it forces you to give a real reason about why the review is good/bad, reducing personal bias. If the comment is found to be too unsupported/personal, it becomes null (though, that is a content mod's responsiblity).

Administrator

Nov 21, 2013, 03:32 PM
This would probably mean very few people would bother rating reviews, which is definitely the worse option. From what I've seen, review rating tend to match the quality of the review closely enough, usually (as far as I'm concerned).

JCF Member

Nov 22, 2013, 09:47 AM
Quote:
This would probably mean very few people would bother rating reviews, which is definitely the worse option. From what I've seen, review rating tend to match the quality of the review closely enough, usually (as far as I'm concerned).
I write in-depth reviews with a lot of reasoning.... and the quality is still ambivalent.

Last edited by Treylina; Nov 22, 2013 at 10:06 AM.

JCF Member

Nov 24, 2013, 01:25 AM
Ability to choose theme, the classic one from early days of J2O, the current one or a future my rummored new design.