Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » JCS & Scripting

TreyLina's small tileset contest! Win money!

JCF Member

XxMoNsTeRXM is doing well so far

Feb 20, 2015, 06:46 AM
NOOOOOOOOOO! Palette colors problems have happened to my tileset. #sadface

JCF Member

Ninja is an asset to this forumNinja is an asset to this forum

Feb 20, 2015, 06:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snzspeed View Post

I might enter, if this goes to something what I find worthy.
i like that

JCF Member

Jelly Jam is doing well so far

Feb 20, 2015, 09:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by $kúlg View Post
Haha oh boy. So who's actually still in? My tileset is about 70% done. I'm surprised at how well it's coming along, even though dealing with the pallette madness is a nightmare. I'm slowly getting the hang of it though, lmao.

Come on guys and gals, get up! I can't wait to see what you come up with! If you have too much trouble with non-connecting edges, maybe make a 2D block-based tileset? Those, too, can look amazing. <3

snzspeed, I think that's beautiful so far! Keep it up!
1. THE PALLETE MADNESS IS A HUGE NIGHTMARE, FINNALY SOMEONE GETS ME.
2.I just can't get up, and I don't like completely 2D tilesets. I just want to make it look like an enviroment, not some blocks.
3.What I came up with? It was supposed to be a giant kitchen.

Anyway! Good luck with your tilesets, I can't wait to see what you guys've came up with

JCF Member

Slaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHART

Feb 20, 2015, 09:14 AM
I have something in the works that's about 50% done now. But you know me and art (as shown in my sig) so I only release it if it'll be usable at least.

The theme is a random planet with a clear atmosphere, since I like the dreamy occupation that is stargazing.

JCF Member

Primpy is an asset to this forumPrimpy is an asset to this forum

Feb 20, 2015, 09:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaz View Post
I have something in the works that's about 50% done now. But you know me and art (as shown in my sig) so I only release it if it'll be usable at least.

The theme is a random planet with a clear atmosphere, since I like the dreamy occupation that is stargazing.
Well now! I'm curious how your tileset will look like

"Floppy ears and a big butt?" - Slaz

JCF Member

Feb 20, 2015, 01:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primpy View Post
Well now! I'm curious how your tileset will look like
Thanks I guess. But don't expect it to be of Agama/Treylina style of artistic precision, or you'll be disappointed.

I just prioritize fun above anything else, and make something from within that mindset that my current set of skills can handle.

On a side note, and as once stated by Disguise, most tilesets released aren't used by anyone other than the original author. This means making a tileset for your own unique level requires you to draw solely what you need for yourself, while making a stand-alone set requires a tremendous amount of effort in order to make it usable and variable enough to appeal to other JCSers.

So it sure is quite a chalenge to make a set that's somewhat appealing to use while staying within the contest's size limit.

JCF Member

Treylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legend

Feb 22, 2015, 03:55 AM
I rarely remember my password (I was on vacation), so here's a somewhat late reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Jam View Post
1. THE PALLETE MADNESS IS A HUGE NIGHTMARE, FINNALY SOMEONE GETS ME.
2.I just can't get up, and I don't like completely 2D tilesets. I just want to make it look like an enviroment, not some blocks.
3.What I came up with? It was supposed to be a giant kitchen.
1. Then don't use MSpain. Seriously, Graphicsgale barely takes any time to download, it's a pretty small program. It also lets you make tile-sized grids so there's no need to draw them. I save as a palletised 256 colour image then there's no need to worry about the pallette much, since I can just load pallettes and see them all the time and changing a colour in the pallette causes everything else to change in the image that uses the same colour too.

2. An environment is not determined by the perspective you use, but the theme. Your tileset did not have a theme (or at least from what I could see so far). Likewise, a 2D tileset can feel like an environment, even blocky ones (you can get away with blocky tiles in man-made environments).

Another thing that bugs me about your tileset is that it is literally pillow-shading. There is no certain light-source, it appears to be coming from all directions which is plain nonsense and loses any sort of focus. Also, there's 2 duplicate tiles (lower left and above it).

That asides, I think themeless tilesets can look good, but a real environment will always be better. There's loads of "Random colours" tilesets out there, and a 3D perspective will not make them any more of an environment.

Jazz Jackrabbit group: https://discord.gg/vZm95tQ

Last edited by Treylina; Feb 22, 2015 at 04:22 AM.

JCF Member

SAMI is doing well so far

Feb 22, 2015, 04:47 AM
Adobe Photoshop works well too with the pallette problems. But I can't make specific grid size which is the main problem. Anyone here use Adobe PS and made customized size grids? Grid is the only problem here, other than that its great for tileset making [In my opinion]

JCF Member

Feb 22, 2015, 05:34 AM
I don't know Photoshop that well, but instead of relying on a grid feature you can always use a premade image with 32x32 squires and use it as a background layer. This is how I do it.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 05:42 AM
Seren
This message has been deleted by Sir Ementaler. Reason: Or you can listen to cooba below for an immediate answer.

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Feb 22, 2015, 05:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMI View Post
Adobe Photoshop works well too with the pallette problems. But I can't make specific grid size which is the main problem. Anyone here use Adobe PS and made customized size grids? Grid is the only problem here, other than that its great for tileset making [In my opinion]
Edit -> Preferences -> Guides, Grid and Slices. Toggle by Ctrl+".

(Could be different in newer versions of Photoshop though)

JCF Member

Feb 22, 2015, 09:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treylina View Post
I rarely remember my password (I was on vacation), so here's a somewhat late reply.

1. Then don't use MSpain. Seriously, Graphicsgale barely takes any time to download, it's a pretty small program. It also lets you make tile-sized grids so there's no need to draw them. I save as a palletised 256 colour image then there's no need to worry about the pallette much, since I can just load pallettes and see them all the time and changing a colour in the pallette causes everything else to change in the image that uses the same colour too.

2. An environment is not determined by the perspective you use, but the theme. Your tileset did not have a theme (or at least from what I could see so far). Likewise, a 2D tileset can feel like an environment, even blocky ones (you can get away with blocky tiles in man-made environments).

Another thing that bugs me about your tileset is that it is literally pillow-shading. There is no certain light-source, it appears to be coming from all directions which is plain nonsense and loses any sort of focus. Also, there's 2 duplicate tiles (lower left and above it).

That asides, I think themeless tilesets can look good, but a real environment will always be better. There's loads of "Random colours" tilesets out there, and a 3D perspective will not make them any more of an environment.
What if I like MSpaint better, huh?
Also my tileset was supposed to have a theme, It's just that even 1/4 of the tileset ISN'T DRAWN ;p.
Also you really shouldn't judge someone's art skills if they're not good at it

JCF Member

Feb 22, 2015, 09:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooba View Post
Edit -> Preferences -> Guides, Grid and Slices. Toggle by Ctrl+".

(Could be different in newer versions of Photoshop though)
It makes the grids appear but I can't resize the grids ro 32x32 p. Thats where I had to face the problem.

I'll update my photoshop, hope I can set grid size in new versions.

And about premade grid image; its too small and I had to copy/paste it a lot of times which sometimes messes up the distance hence ruining the whole thing.

JCF Member

Obi1mcd is OFF DA CHARTObi1mcd is OFF DA CHARTObi1mcd is OFF DA CHART

Feb 22, 2015, 11:29 AM
Jelly Jam, you're still welcome to use MS Paint, but I think you'll find GraphicsGale's interface is similar enough that it'll just make things easier, and if you have problems you can still ask people around here for help. I'd give it a try, at the very least!

JCF Member

Feb 22, 2015, 11:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi1mcd View Post
Jelly Jam, you're still welcome to use MS Paint, but I think you'll find GraphicsGale's interface is similar enough that it'll just make things easier, and if you have problems you can still ask people around here for help. I'd give it a try, at the very least!
I still don't wanna participate. My art skills are very poor.
But yeah, you got me this time. I'll give graphicsgale a try when I decide to make my tileset.

JCF Member

Feb 22, 2015, 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Jam View Post
What if I like MSpaint better, huh?
Also my tileset was supposed to have a theme, It's just that even 1/4 of the tileset ISN'T DRAWN ;p.
Also you really shouldn't judge someone's art skills if they're not good at it
My vibe is that you actually don't like MSpaint better, it's that you were simply too lazy to try anything else.

If I can't tell any theme from a couple of tiles, there may be a problem. I can make two tiles and there's already a clear hint of the theme. It's barely to do with drawing quality, it's what the tiles are trying to convey. Top secret may be one of those tilesets with tiles that convey nothing other than being just blocks, however it is not a good example on how to set a theme.

Being new doesn't make you immune to critique. If anything, it helps you develop your skills faster if you learn what to improve on earlier. I don't usually review casual artists, though since it was a contest entry, I felt inclined to.

JCF Member

Feb 22, 2015, 12:08 PM
I've changed my mind about giving up (Somewhat). I can't assure if I can finish my work in time or not. But I'm making some tilesets and if I find one of it suitable for this contest: I'll post it eventually. (This is the first time ever that I'm seriously trying to make tilesets. So it may not be good as others. But I'll still make it for fun.)

Last edited by SAMI; Feb 22, 2015 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Spelling mistakes. F◇◇cking mobile touch key sucks like cock!! Complete pain in the ass to type with this shit.

JCF Member

Feb 22, 2015, 01:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMI View Post
I've changed my mind about giving up.
That puts a smile on my face

JCF Member

Feb 22, 2015, 01:54 PM
Quote:
My vibe is that you actually don't like MSpaint better, it's that you were simply too lazy to try anything else.

If I can't tell any theme from a couple of tiles, there may be a problem. I can make two tiles and there's already a clear hint of the theme. It's barely to do with drawing quality, it's what the tiles are trying to convey. Top secret may be one of those tilesets with tiles that convey nothing other than being just blocks, however it is not a good example on how to set a theme.

Being new doesn't make you immune to critique. If anything, it helps you develop your skills faster if you learn what to improve on earlier. I don't usually review casual artists, though since it was a contest entry, I felt inclined to.
If you really couldn't tell what those blocks were supposed to be, there were supposed to be wooden blocks for a giant wooden table. I wasn't satisfied with that version so i started working on another one days ago. The block system worked, it really looked like a gigantic table, but there were still some problems with it...

JCF Member

Mar 9, 2015, 07:15 AM
Just a reminder, you roughly have one month left to complete your entries. I felt like I was forgetting about this thread and its deadline, so I'd thought I'd post here to remind myself too.

JCF Member

Mar 9, 2015, 08:11 AM
My fukcin exam started since 7th March and it will end on 19th. And my tileset is only 10% finished. What a pain in the ass. Anyway, I was making two tilesets- one is drug field (inspired from Far Cry 3) and other was abandoned ship (Inspired from Resident Evil Revelations). Lets see if I can finish it. I'll post some screens of it if I can atleast make a primary version.

JCF Member

Apr 5, 2015, 02:24 AM
Anyone else still trying to finish their entry? Mine is about 80% done, still need some minor hand-drawing and the finishing touches, then the mask and an example level. But again, it'll likely be a novice quality tileset.

I may finish it before the initial deadline, if not too much IT tasks come inbetween. So how is the competition going, if any?

JCF Member

Apr 5, 2015, 08:21 AM
Chances are, I'll probably extend the deadline.

JCF Member

Apr 8, 2015, 07:15 AM
Okay, I'm extending the deadline to the 8th of May 2015, because I am convinced you guys have been busy with other things (like bash levels and school stuff). That's virtually another month.

Super Moderator

ShadowGPW is a forum legendShadowGPW is a forum legendShadowGPW is a forum legend

Apr 9, 2015, 11:09 PM
Quote:
Okay, I'm extending the deadline to the 8th of May 2015, because I am convinced you guys have been busy with other things (like bash levels and school stuff). That's virtually another month.
LOL awesome, was about to ask

Skulg's set is done, my level isn't yet.

S.H.A.D.O.W.: (aka Ins0mnia)
Synthetic Hydraulic Android Designed for Observation and Warfare

Mystic Legends
http://www.mysticlegends.org

Follow me on twitter: @Ins0mnia
Follow us on twitter: @Mystic_Legends

JCF Member

Apr 10, 2015, 04:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowGPW View Post
Skulg's set is done.
I'm curious how it looks like =D

JCF Member

DodgeS is a sad, sad person

Apr 10, 2015, 05:20 PM

I might just finish this... piece i started a few years ago.

Traditional Japan
Blizzard
Weird Pipes

JCF Member

Apr 11, 2015, 06:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeS View Post

I might just finish this... piece i started a few years ago.
That looks really good! I'm really jelaous of all the artists here...
And I don't believe i saw you 'round here, so wb to JJ2 i guess
Metsys

JCF Member

Metsys is doing well so far

Apr 11, 2015, 10:14 PM
Doing something like this would be fun, but I'm already working on a Minecraft texture pack. :P

Super Moderator

ShadowGPW is a forum legendShadowGPW is a forum legendShadowGPW is a forum legend

May 5, 2015, 09:18 AM
it's done! Releasing it tonight or tomorrow

Mystic Legends

JCF Member

May 5, 2015, 10:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowGPW View Post
it's done! Releasing it tonight or tomorrow
Nice to hear! I'm curious what it'll look like.

Sadly I likely won't release mine before the extended deadline. I've drawn all initial tiles and only need to do the finishing touches and some cleanup (oh, and a little example level). Don't expect anything amazing though, my current lack of drawing skill made relatively simple actions take hours instead of minutes. Actions such as making the ground tile and simple pixel art were quite challenging.

Seeing as to how ambitous I was saying it's 80% finished last month, from now I'll be more careful saying such predictions since I just don't know what kind of complications there are in tileset making.

JCF Member

May 5, 2015, 12:31 PM
I extended the deadline another month, because I want more entries.

Super Moderator

May 5, 2015, 11:08 PM
Delayed the release a few more days

Cooba is giving it a check so.. yeah fiddeling with the level design and eyecandy a bit.

I have to say, small tileset level building does give you a big challenge!

Mystic Legends

JCF Member

May 6, 2015, 12:12 AM
Nice idea to make proper work on the 'example' level. Disguise's theory stated that most tilesets aren't ever used by other people than the original creator.

If that's true, an original level could make even the most awkward set somewhat memorable in a way.

Super Moderator

May 6, 2015, 05:39 AM
Slaz; it's also the first full ML colab since release of 7th Lava Fall

Mystic Legends

Super Moderator

May 6, 2015, 11:26 PM

A small preview (thx coobster for the SS)

Mystic Legends

JCF Member

Love & Thunder has disabled reputation

May 7, 2015, 01:47 AM
That looks incredible. Also terrifying, but mostly just incredible.
Actually, it kind of reminds me of Intestinal Distress from Earthworm Jim.

Super Moderator

May 7, 2015, 02:07 AM
It's not only a challenge for the tileset designer, but also the level designer has to think outside the box. I hope my work can fully represent Skulg's vision.

Mystic Legends

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

May 7, 2015, 03:28 AM
Hmm...

Super Moderator

May 7, 2015, 03:54 AM
Interesting! Who what and where?

However, if I remember the discussion on the server with several people when I was testing my levels. This idea came out of no where, I actually popped the idea to add eyes and stuff in it

Mystic Legends

Last edited by ShadowGPW; May 7, 2015 at 04:07 AM.

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

May 7, 2015, 04:11 AM
It's a super old tileset (from back in the J2C days I think) named just "Blood", I don't even know the author... I believe you when you say there's no connection, just found the similarity striking

Tags
contest