Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Maintenance & Feedback » JJ2+ Issue Tracker

Bug Report Phantom controller input

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

May 16, 2018, 12:58 PM
Phantom controller input

Hi folks. Some people have reported receiving constant input from controllers or controller-like devices that do not seem to correspond to things they are intentionally doing, e.g. their mouse cursor constantly moves to the left, or their rabbit tries to move down and right. I have no way of replicating any of these problems locally, because I don't own the same devices that you do, but what I can do is give you this:

plus_controller_diagnostics.zip

That's the latest release of JJ2+, minimally modified to constantly show all controller input information. (Only while ingame--if your phantom controller makes it impossible for you to navigate the menu system, load JJ2 directly into a level by command line/drag+drop.) If you experience such phantom input, please a) explain what your specific problem is, b) post a screenshot of the various numbers in their base state (i.e. when you are not intentionally doing anything), and c) report how the numbers are affected by any related experiments you choose to do.

Thanks!

JCF Éminence Grise

Jun 22, 2018, 05:19 PM
Report from Genstar, who I guess is having J2O account problems:

Combination of WINE and TWINSHOCK controller "moves the mouse cursor to the left in-game and some buttons work too fast on menus, directional keys don't even work properly and only the jump button works"

"In control joy.cpl, the 1,2,3 and 4 buttons flicker when pressed instead of just staying pressed... Also got the "device reporting too fast" error on the terminal when running WINE control joy.cpl"

Nothing pressed:

Button 2 pressed:

"when left stick is up-left and right stick is down-right":

"dwPOV shows from 0 to 31500, being 65535 when nothing is being pressed on the POV"

JCF Member

Robo4900 has disabled reputation

Aug 17, 2018, 03:21 PM
So, whenever I select a level from Home Cooked, and only from Home Cooked, the controller constantly registers movement right and down (EDIT: I have tested this further, and found this behaviour if I use the command line loading, but only for A Generic SP Episode II. My own custom levels seem to not be affected by this. Perhaps it's memory usage related?). This includes it making me stomp whenever I'm in the air, for instance if I've jumped. It also doesn't let me manually move down or right at all.

TSF level 1, working normally:

HH '17 loaded from its custom J2E episode, working normally:

A custom level I was working on a few years ago, loaded from a command line argument, working normally:

Same custom level, not working normally; stuck moving down and right:

Different custom level, same problem:

JCF Member

Virus666 has disabled reputation

Aug 29, 2018, 04:55 AM
Exclamation Happens on Linux as well

I can confirm that such incidence happens with Jazz Jackrabbit 2 1.23, JJ2+ 5.6 via Lutris (Wine-Staging 3.10 i386) on Linux Mint 19 (x64) Mate with Logitech F310 Xinput/DirectInput. As the game is started with Jazz2.exe -menu -windowed -nolog -nospy executable and arguments, mouse cursor immediately moves left even in OS level. When a map is started, the character looks up as it is shown in previous posts. I found related lines in the readme of the latest release of JJ2+:

"Improved support for DirectInput/XInput (read: XBox-style) controllers:

JJ2+ should now ignore corrupted controller data instead of seeming to constantly press the left and up keys."

https://docs.jj2.plus/

It looks like some Windows and WINE setups fail to "gnore corrupted controller data." When -nojoy argument is added, problem disappears but as it disables controller support, it's a bit pointless. Alternatively, Linux users can emulate keyboard buttons on controller with AntiMicro but that would be a dirty solution to be honest.

Here are the Lutris page and code of the installer script:

https://lutris.net/games/jazz-jackrabbit-2/
https://lutris.net/games/install/2782/view

JCF Éminence Grise

Aug 29, 2018, 08:48 AM
Okay. Did you get any data from the plus_controller_diagnostics.zip I linked prominently in the opening post? Also, does your character constantly look up in regular JJ2 (without the JJ2+ patch applied) as well, or is your problem unique to JJ2+ v5.6?

JCF Member

Virus666 has disabled reputation

Sep 3, 2018, 10:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet CLM View Post
Okay. Did you get any data from the plus_controller_diagnostics.zip I linked prominently in the opening post? Also, does your character constantly look up in regular JJ2 (without the JJ2+ patch applied) as well, or is your problem unique to JJ2+ v5.6?

Sorry for late reply. Unfortunately I am not competent enough to make plus_controller_diagnostics.zip or regular v5.6 version of JJ2+ run with WINE manually. Lutris script that automates installation makes use of additional tools some of are AutoHotkey, Helper. Merging and overwriting Lutris installation with your diagnostics tool didn't provide the additional data shown in previous posts.

As I installed JJ2 via WINE manually, JJ2 1.23 without JJ2+ doesn't have phantom controller issues that I experienced with JJ2+ v5.6. Here are my findings;

JJ2 1.23 without JJ2+ (controller is active):
- Characters do not constantly look up.
- Controller buttons work without a problem, they can also be remapped.
- No mouse cursor capture and/or shifting issue occurs.

JJ2 1.23 with JJ2+ v5.6 (controller is active):
- Characters do look up constantly.
- Most of controller buttons do not work. If up button is pressed, character stops looking up, but when you stop pressing, it returns to looking up. Jump, fire, pause, menu buttons work but down, left, right buttons do not work. Buttons cannot be remapped since up button is being constantly pressed. Up button works in menus but other direction keys do not work.
- Mouse cursor moves left in OS level if it is on the window of JJ2. Even if the cursor leaves JJ2 window, it keeps moving to the left edge of the desktop.