Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » Beyond Jazz Jackrabbit 2

Open-source game

JCF Member

FreeFull is doing well so far

Apr 18, 2007, 10:49 AM
Open-source game

Why we won't do an open-source game. Everyone will be able to contribute (add code, fix bugs). The community will add various features. I would make sure it works on Linux (and maybe someone could check if it works on mac). First we need to decide on a name and what type of game will it be.

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Apr 18, 2007, 11:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeFull View Post
I would make sure it works on Linux (and maybe someone could check if it works on mac).
This should have top priority yes
n00b

JCF Veteran

n00b is an asset to this forumn00b is an asset to this forum

Apr 18, 2007, 11:04 AM
Name- Skitch Possum: Ressurection
Genre- 5d Platformer

Last edited by n00b; Apr 18, 2007 at 04:18 PM.

JCF Member

FQuist is an asset to this forumFQuist is an asset to this forum

Apr 18, 2007, 03:28 PM
Skitch Possum was not open source, afaik. Even if it was, nobody outside of MetalWarrior or Roaster has it I think, if THEY even have it anymore

Interesting Jazz-related links:
Thread: Gameplay Theories - Thread: Make Up Your Own Gametype

Spotify.fm

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Apr 18, 2007, 03:32 PM
Any chance the tilesets it was to use will be released so people can convert them to j2t?

JCF Member

Apr 18, 2007, 03:38 PM
I am not in contact with either Metalwarrior, Gizmo, Noraa or Dino (I wish they would drop by ). All of them have left and have completely stopped being in contact with the community. You could possibly dig some of them up with some trouble, but I'd think you'd need at least permission from Dino or MW (the leader guys) and also from the tileset artists Noraa and Gizmo.

(I wonder if there's some relationship between working on Possum and choosing to leave in the most definite way. I think I'm the only Possum team member even still involved in any sense with the community. A lot of leaving people at least choose to drop by sometimes. Some of these guys were my buddies, too.)

Spotify.fm

JCF Member

KRSplat is a forum legendKRSplat is a forum legend

Apr 18, 2007, 04:56 PM
I miss them.

JCF Member

Neobeo is an asset to this forumNeobeo is an asset to this forum

Apr 18, 2007, 05:20 PM
Would such an open-source game be allowed to steal animations from anims.j2a?
Neobeo's Firetruck

</TD><TD>Myths:
Jazz Creation Station Plus (JCS+) - 10%
Coming soon - a dedicated server! - 25%
Jazz Sprite Dynamite v2 (JSDv2) - 2%
Another generic single-player level - 0%
</TD></TR></TABLE>

JCF Member

Apr 18, 2007, 05:46 PM
They were not released under a free license, so, no.

Spotify.fm

Bobby aka Dizzy

(-)(-)(-)(-)(-)istrator

Bobby aka Dizzy is doing well so far

Apr 18, 2007, 06:24 PM
If you really wanted to get the tilesets that Noraa may have worked on I can get you in touch with him, FQ, but I seriously doubt that he would still have them.
ShadeJackrabbit ShadeJackrabbit's Avatar

JCF Member

ShadeJackrabbit is doing well so far

Apr 18, 2007, 06:26 PM
Hmmm... if it's gonna be on Linux, I might be in, though I only really am learning JavaScript now... not even at "if" statements yet.

Stop talking sense, this is an internet argument. ~Doubble Dutch

JCF Member

Apr 19, 2007, 04:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby aka Dizzy View Post
If you really wanted to get the tilesets that Noraa may have worked on I can get you in touch with him, FQ, but I seriously doubt that he would still have them.
I think I actually have most of his tilesets - it's more his permission that I think would be required. I personally don't intend to spend time on working to get these tilesets released, but others may.

Spotify.fm

JCF Member

Apr 19, 2007, 08:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
No let's make it for amiga instead and closed source
We could do an Amiga version... using UAE (WinUAE on Windows) we could have check and modify the source for it to work. I think we should first focus on Linux and Windows trough (and Mac).

Administrator

Apr 19, 2007, 09:11 AM
Why?

JCF Éminence Grise

Radium is an asset to this forum

Apr 19, 2007, 09:32 AM
I tried making a game with community arthelp a few years back ( http://www.jazz2online.com/jcf/showthread.php?t=6417 ). The thread title is so ironic.

Any idea what language this would be in? The only thing that comes to mind that a lot of people know and that crossplatforms easily is Flash.

<i>"This picture shows me that the gray bird man is just a bully and picks on smaller birds. Just because he has no friends and takes it out on others smaller than him to look good. I can see in the parrats eyes that it does however have a understanding of the gray bird man and is upset about getting cut."</i> - Speeza on cartoon birds.

JCF Member

Apr 19, 2007, 09:48 AM
Stijn: Amiga doesn't have enough users. There are many more people with PC's and Macs
Radium: I suggest c++ but the whole community will have to decide. (btw, Java much is more portable than Flash. Flash runs only on Windows, Mac and Linux)

JCF Member

Apr 19, 2007, 09:50 AM
Quote:
The only thing that comes to mind that a lot of people know and that crossplatforms easily is Flash.
Here's some more...
C++
Flash
C
C#
Python (Pygame)
Quake 3 (I checked.)

EDIT: DARN IT! I almost got a post in before you...

JCF Éminence Grise

Apr 19, 2007, 11:12 AM
Quote:
Flash runs only on Windows, Mac and Linux
Anyone who uses an OS besides those three is only doing so because they want to complain about compatability issues.

Well, I know next to nothing about C and its variants but I can still contribute some animation if so desired.

<i>"This picture shows me that the gray bird man is just a bully and picks on smaller birds. Just because he has no friends and takes it out on others smaller than him to look good. I can see in the parrats eyes that it does however have a understanding of the gray bird man and is upset about getting cut."</i> - Speeza on cartoon birds.

Administrator

Apr 19, 2007, 11:16 AM
Quote:
Stijn: Amiga doesn't have enough users. There are many more people with PC's and Macs
I mean why focus so much on making it Linux/Mac compatible? Almost everyone here if not everyone has Windows while only a very minor part of the community runs Linux or Mac. I don't see why multiplatform compatibility is so important.

JCF Member

Apr 19, 2007, 11:21 AM
Well, the game will be not only for the community, everyone who wants will play it. And I'm using Linux.
Old Apr 19, 2007, 02:04 PM
Nonomu198
This message has been deleted by FQuist. Reason: offtopic

JCF Member

Apr 19, 2007, 03:11 PM
Using linux here... okay I am when my internet runs...

JCF Member

Apr 20, 2007, 11:25 AM
I don't use Windows at all (exept on IT lessons). I have no need for a drive full of needed antimalware software. And I'm a gamer.

Administrator

Apr 20, 2007, 11:30 AM
Quote:
I have no need for a drive full of needed antimalware software.
Neither do I. What's your point?

Is it that using Windows automatically means being infected with lots of viruses and malware? I hate to burst your bubble, but that's not true.

This is slightly off-topic though, apologies.
n00b

JCF Veteran

Apr 20, 2007, 12:07 PM
Quote:
I don't use Windows at all (exept on IT lessons). I have no need for a drive full of needed antimalware software. And I'm a gamer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
A minority of gamers use linux.
GREAT FREEFULL! WELCOME TO THE LOWER PERCENTAGE!
What did you just do in support of a Linux/mac port? NOTHING!!

JCF Member

Apr 20, 2007, 12:16 PM
Quote:
What did you just do in support of a Linux/mac port? NOTHING!!
Uh... pointed out that he uses linux? I dunno...

Point is, as long as we give out the source, it will run in linux, k? So let's actually MAKE an open-source game, then worry about porting it.

BOB: Holly shade! That was a smack-down!
SHADE: Shut up Bob! *gives bob the smack-down*

n00b

JCF Veteran

Apr 20, 2007, 12:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadeJackrabbit View Post
Point is, as long as we give out the source, it will run in linux, k? So let's actually MAKE an open-source game, then worry about porting it.
But why not also port it to Amiga, and make that a top priority as well? Since according to the first post, the second we decide on the game, Freefull begins making sure every step past that works with Linux

JCF Member

DoubleGJ has disabled reputation

Apr 20, 2007, 12:25 PM
Shade, you've got a point. And if someone is good enough to actually use a Linux OS, compiling the game should be a piece of cake.

Two Games Joined releases:
Control / Splinter (twin singles)
|| Ballistic Bunny (EP)
||
Beyond (maxi-single)
|| Beyond: Remixed (remix EP)
|| Inner Monsters OST (mini-album)
||
Shadows (album)

JCF Member

Apr 20, 2007, 12:26 PM
n00b:Because we are too lazy to install an Amiga emulator?

Edit: AAAAA!

Administrator

Apr 20, 2007, 01:11 PM
Quote:
n00b:Because we are too lazy to install an Amiga emulator?

Edit: AAAAA!
I'm too lazy to install Linux and why would I if it also works on Windows

JCF Member

Apr 20, 2007, 04:10 PM
Okay, SHUT UP WITH THIS ARGUMENT. Since it's going to be
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topic Title
Open-source game
we don't have to worry about porting! Just make the (-)ing game already! THEN we can port, okay? Move your stupid fight into another thread...

JCF Member

Sonyk is doing well so far

Apr 20, 2007, 05:39 PM
lets make it msdos compatible
i for one, use primarily msdos
i am also a gamer
i feel that msdos would be a great contribution to this project
i won't actually do anything to support msdos, but i'll tell you when it won't run on msdos

now make me my game

Who decides on a name before they've gotten any ideas about the game itself, anyway?

JCF Member

Apr 20, 2007, 05:55 PM
You forgot the sarcasm tags.

Right?

Now, my idea for a game is that we make an adventure game. The members of the JCF must go on the great quest to get the source code of Jazz 2. It would be called:

Jazz Community Forums: The Quest for the Code

That's my idea.

Administrator

Apr 21, 2007, 01:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadeJackrabbit View Post
Okay, SHUT UP WITH THIS ARGUMENT. Since it's going to be we don't have to worry about porting! Just make the (-)ing game already! THEN we can port, okay? Move your stupid fight into another thread...
But that's a wrong assumption. Making the game open-source will not automatically make it portable to Linux or MacOS or whatever, contrary to what you and FreeFull seem to be thinking. Therefore this issue has to be sorted out before anyone actually starts coding the game.

Of course it is still stupid to decide that it will be open-source before actually coming up with a first concept.

JCF Éminence Grise

Apr 21, 2007, 07:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stijn View Post
But that's a wrong assumption. Making the game open-source will not automatically make it portable to Linux or MacOS or whatever, contrary to what you and FreeFull seem to be thinking. Therefore this issue has to be sorted out before anyone actually starts coding the game.

Of course it is still stupid to decide that it will be open-source before actually coming up with a first concept.
If I was an admin you would receive a "Stupidity catalyst removal" edit. Shade is right, let's presume this will magically work made a (-) game. Worst comes to worst, we package some free emulator with the game and call it the Linux version.

I propose an Uberbob adventure game. We'd already have a plot, characters, and a number of animations.

Though a possum game would be fun too. Possum has been playing dead for too long.

JCF Member

Apr 21, 2007, 07:55 AM
Quote:
If I was an admin you would receive a "Stupidity catalyst removal" edit. Shade is right, let's presume this will magically work made a (-) game. Worst comes to worst, we package some free emulator with the game and call it the Linux version.
(-INSERT LINK TO WINE-)
Besides, if it's done in C or equivalent, or python, you can just recompile it in linux using diffferent packages. Or, make a build using wine.

Quote:
I propose an Uberbob adventure game. We'd already have a plot, characters, and a number of animations.
Sounds good to me!