Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

Help me, please...

NeoBlaze

JCF Member

NeoBlaze has disabled reputation

May 2, 2004, 08:38 AM
Help me, please...

Hello,

I have trouble connecting to Online games.
In fact, I have just tried it, it sayz "cannot find server, please enter one".
Then, if I enter one of the public host's IPs, it might tell me what game is it, but it would be unavailable for selection...
I need an instruction on how to join those games.
Thanks.

I got Windows 98SE + Jazz Jack Rabbit 2 v1.20

Untitled

Link is doing well so far

May 2, 2004, 09:17 AM
First you need to upgrade to version 1.23. There are patches available at Haze's Hideout. After that you need to install the list server patch, available here.
There still remains that strange precipitate
Which has the quality to resist
Our oldest and most trusted catalyst.
It is a substance we cannot cremate
By temperatures known to our Laboratory.

~ E.J. Pratt

NeoBlaze

JCF Member

May 3, 2004, 02:00 PM
thanks, but the actual link is here http://phoenix.dutchfurs.com/~haze/?...les/pc/patches
rite now patchin... will tell the results
NeoBlaze

JCF Member

May 3, 2004, 02:08 PM
After I've done both steps, it now has changed the logo color to yellow.

Now, when I am trying to open the Internet Play, it sayz "Retrieving Server Lists..."
And nothing happens...
NeoBlaze

JCF Member

May 3, 2004, 02:17 PM
Arite now I see myself in the list but I dont see nobody joining me

JCF Member

BlazinDragon is doing well so far

May 3, 2004, 02:32 PM
maybe no one likes you ;D

Nah i just jokin. You might still have a problem with your connection, or maybe no one wants to join your server. There might be some more interesting servers for people out there, so try and join someof them, meet new ppl. If its something to do with your connection... state your system status and model and many more experienced people will be able to help you. That person is not me
#1= 100%
#2= 100%
#3= 100%
#4= 100%
#5= 25%

~BlazinDragon
~Dragoon
~Firebolt
~Iced Killer
~KILLERRABBIT
NeoBlaze

JCF Member

May 3, 2004, 02:40 PM
Hey bro wut r u talkin bout i can see myself then everyone can.
BTW i dont see no servers in the list.
Is it possible there are no games at this moment?
I cant see none here: http://www.jazz2online.com/gip.php
Aren't I supposed to see the same thing through jazz2?

Arite my computer is Pentium II 500Mhz, Connection - T1 Cable, Windows 98SE, mouse - wireless from Microsoft, keyboard - from Compaq n it sayz Energy Star on my Monitor )))))))

JCF Member

KRSplat is a forum legendKRSplat is a forum legend

May 3, 2004, 02:46 PM
Do you have a firewall or router?

JCF Member

May 3, 2004, 03:02 PM
Yep, a D-Link router.

JCF Member

blurredd is an asset to this forumblurredd is an asset to this forum

May 3, 2004, 03:39 PM
D-Link routers are the epitome of evil.
ATB Contest. Scripting Language.
Gameplay Theories.
1UP. Pitfall. Desolation.
SC2.

Untitled

May 3, 2004, 03:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
Hey bro wut r u talkin bout i can see myself then everyone can.
BTW i dont see no servers in the list.
Is it possible there are no games at this moment?
I cant see none here: http://www.jazz2online.com/gip.php
Aren't I supposed to see the same thing through jazz2?
You are not making yourself understood. I can't tell what you mean when you say "dont see no" and "cant see none". Please write more clearly.

When you try to join a game from within JJ2, the list displayed in the game should be the same as the list displayed at the J2O gip. If you try hosting a game, it should also appear at the J2O gip, even if people can't join it. If this isn't the case, you haven't installed the server list patch properly. Read the included instructions and try again.

To be able to host and join games properly, you also need to forward the connection through your router. This usually involves a web based configuration tool (try each of these links: A, B, C, D). Port 10052 TCP and UDP must be forwarded to your computer. If you can't figure out how to do this on your own, read your router documentation.

~ E.J. Pratt

NeoBlaze

JCF Member

May 3, 2004, 03:44 PM
When I say "cant see no" I mean "can't see any"..
Can someone try and join my game now?
NeoBlaze

JCF Member

May 4, 2004, 10:49 AM
Now I have joined someone elses game, and it keeps disconnecting - connection timed out. WHY?
NeoBlaze

JCF Member

May 4, 2004, 11:16 AM
I still need help

I did everything, as you told me in this topic http://www.jazz2online.com/jcf/showthread.php?t=10564

But now, even though I can (yay!) connect to other games, it keeps kicking me out after a minute, saying "connection timed out"

DarkShadow

JCF Member

DarkShadow has disabled reputation

May 4, 2004, 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
I did everything, as you told me in this topic http://www.jazz2online.com/jcf/showthread.php?t=10564

But now, even though I can (yay!) connect to other games, it keeps kicking me out after a minute, saying "connection timed out"

Refer to Link's post in the other thread, and then go from there.

And you shouldn't post multiple threads about the same thing.

~DS

Untitled

May 4, 2004, 12:44 PM
First, is the list problem fixed? Are you able to access the server list from within your game, as well as make games appear in the list when you host?

I already explained how to fix the timeout problem in my other post, but I'll try again. Consider the following image.

Your router (represented by the blue gateway in the image) acts as a firewall in addition to splitting the internet connection on your network. This means that you are able to connect to other JJ2 servers, but they cannot send data back to you. This is why you time out after 30 seconds.

To allow the JJ2 server to send data back to you, your router must be configured to "forward" the connection. This will make the router send the incoming JJ2 connections to your computer, instead of blocking it as in the image. Every router has a different specific method of configuration, but it is usually done through a web page accessible by any computer on your network.

With Windows 98, go to the Start Menu, click "Run", type "winipcfg", and press enter or click OK. This program displays your current network configuration. There are two addresses you need to note: your IP address, and the default gateway. Write these down and close the program.

Now in your web browser, enter the address of the default gateway. This will bring you to the web based configuration tool. From here, you will need to log in (the default password is usually "admin"), and find a configuration area called "Port Forwarding" or "Virtual Host" or "Special Services" or "Port Triggering" or something like that. If you can't find it, you will need to read your router manual.

In this configuration area, you will be able to enter an outside port number, an inside port number, an IP address, and possibly a trigger port number. For all three port numbers, enter 10052, and for the IP address enter the IP address that you noted previously (not the gateway address). Now save the configuration.

You should now be able to play JJ2 online, as well as host games. If you can't, your computer might have a software firewall installed. You will need to give JJ2 internet access and hosting access on ports 10052, 10053, and 10054. If you don't know how to do this, consult your firewall documentation.

~ E.J. Pratt

NeoBlaze

JCF Member

May 4, 2004, 01:32 PM
Link,
Yes, the previous problem is fixed. I am able to see games both in my program and this website.
I did enable the port forwarding thing.
I would attach a screenshot but the limit is too small

I'll try it out when a game comes up.
NeoBlaze

JCF Member

May 4, 2004, 04:42 PM
YAY!!!
It works! Now I can host games and join games.
All I had to do, is to link all THREE ports towards my computer

Thank you everyone!
NeoBlaze

JCF Member

May 4, 2004, 05:39 PM
HEY!
I CAN host, but when I join, it says...

@connection timed out@

WHYYYYYYY???????
If I put my computer+router into DeMilitarized (DMZ) state, it works. But I dont want it to be working that way.

Last edited by Neo; May 4, 2004 at 05:58 PM.

JCF Member

shaney is an asset to this forumshaney is an asset to this forum

May 23, 2004, 12:44 PM
yes true but one thing that is not so good that is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Link
First, is the list problem fixed? Are you able to access the server list from within your game, as well as make games appear in the list when you host?

I already explained how to fix the timeout problem in my other post, but I'll try again. Consider the following image.

Your router (represented by the blue gateway in the image) acts as a firewall in addition to splitting the internet connection on your network. This means that you are able to connect to other JJ2 servers, but they cannot send data back to you. This is why you time out after 30 seconds.

To allow the JJ2 server to send data back to you, your router must be configured to "forward" the connection. This will make the router send the incoming JJ2 connections to your computer, instead of blocking it as in the image. Every router has a different specific method of configuration, but it is usually done through a web page accessible by any computer on your network.

With Windows 98, go to the Start Menu, click "Run", type "winipcfg", and press enter or click OK. This program displays your current network configuration. There are two addresses you need to note: your IP address, and the default gateway. Write these down and close the program.

Now in your web browser, enter the address of the default gateway. This will bring you to the web based configuration tool. From here, you will need to log in (the default password is usually "admin"), and find a configuration area called "Port Forwarding" or "Virtual Host" or "Special Services" or "Port Triggering" or something like that. If you can't find it, you will need to read your router manual.

In this configuration area, you will be able to enter an outside port number, an inside port number, an IP address, and possibly a trigger port number. For all three port numbers, enter 10052, and for the IP address enter the IP address that you noted previously (not the gateway address). Now save the configuration.

You should now be able to play JJ2 online, as well as host games. If you can't, your computer might have a software firewall installed. You will need to give JJ2 internet access and hosting access on ports 10052, 10053, and 10054. If you don't know how to do this, consult your firewall documentation.

my router is working perfect it sux that i cant serv jazz2 anymore
but my prob is you are now doing something thats kind of dangerous to your router if like a virus comes in your router and doesnt know where to go your save but if the virus can enter your pc because you did a stupd thing like telling your router that jazz2 clients can enter ya pc and then the virus uses the passage as well your in some very deep trouble so i sugest come with a betterplan

Derby: Content clearance. Avoid using offensive words.

im still alive yeah

Last edited by Derby; May 23, 2004 at 03:16 PM.

Untitled

May 24, 2004, 06:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaney
my router is working perfect it sux that i cant serv jazz2 anymore
but my prob is you are now doing something thats kind of dangerous to your router if like a virus comes in your router and doesnt know where to go your save but if the virus can enter your pc because you did a stupd thing like telling your router that jazz2 clients can enter ya pc and then the virus uses the passage as well your in some very deep trouble so i sugest come with a betterplan
Forwarding port 10052 is virtually the only way to get JJ2 to work behind a router. Some routers have on-demand forwarding (usually called port triggering) that will only open the port when JJ2 needs it. Otherwise you would need to manually open and close the port every time you played JJ2.

~ E.J. Pratt