Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

Should we have a Jazz 2 resolution changer?

View Poll Results: Should we have a Jazz 2 resolution changer?
Yes 60 65.22%
No 19 20.65%
It should be released to certain people for certain circumstances (e.g. hotels) 8 8.70%
I'm not sure, get back to me on this one 5 5.43%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Apr 21, 2006, 08:31 AM
BN, can we see some screens?
R3ptile

Banned

R3ptile is doing well so far

Apr 21, 2006, 09:30 AM
Please?
n00b

JCF Veteran

n00b is an asset to this forumn00b is an asset to this forum

Apr 21, 2006, 10:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilMike
Expanding things horozontally actually wouldn't be quite as bad (though a few problems might still occur). In fact, I think expanding the jj2 resolution to support widescreen would be perfectly legitimate, so long as the viewable area didn't increase TOO much.

The reason is because most backgrounds rely on being aligned vertically, rather than horozontally. Increasing the resolution would wind up displacing them, creating floating mountain ranges and whatnot. You'd also experience some other visual problems, seeing things you aren't supposed to see (I place all sorts of junk out of the playable area in my levels, such as trigger systems, cutscenes, and so on).

This wouldn't be such a problem with widescreen support. But changing the resolution to something like 1280x1024 would look horrible.
I agree with this statement now that I think about it

JCF Member

Birdie is doing well so far

Apr 21, 2006, 10:54 AM
Evil mikes post is very, logical.

JCF Member

FQuist is an asset to this forumFQuist is an asset to this forum

Apr 21, 2006, 12:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolith
Nobody even took notice of my post. ;|

And I support EvilMike's ideas.
I also support them.

Do please reply to Monolith's post (and while you're at it, re-read mine). Arguments like "It's cool we should have it" just don't cut the cake, really, and it's too bad only the skeptical side (and Evilmike with his well-written post being on his own side) seems to be posting well-written arguments that aren't made up of one (sometimes cryptic) line. This isn't just about "omg bigger resolution cooolllll" like some people seem to be arguing - higher resolutions have genuine effects on the gameplay, and if you're concerned about the game's playability and not just its GFX, it could be wise to spend some time to consider the gameplay side, and post a good argument against the skeptic side. It's hard to take most of the replies here seriously.

If you're just concerned about the GFX and don't care for the gameplay arguments, you're probably better off playing another game that looks better than an eight-year old game.

I would like to give Birdie's point some attention, too. I'm not sure how this utility would work, if it would just hack the JJ2 registry or if it would do certain things through gameplay. Either way, if you've got a tool that edits certain things only in certain modes/resolutions, it will probably - especially if it's a registry edit (just a matter of copying and pasting) - be not too hard to crack the utility to make it work under all modes. Send it to some friends and you're done. I hope it will be possible to create a resolution changer that works according to Evilmike's, Violet's and other people's suggestions, but I fear it won't. But I'm not Black Ninja.

Interesting Jazz-related links:
Thread: Gameplay Theories - Thread: Make Up Your Own Gametype

Spotify.fm

JCF Member

Black Ninja is an asset to this forumBlack Ninja is an asset to this forum

Apr 21, 2006, 04:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stijn
BN, can we see some screens?
When it's bug-free, you'll see some screens. I've got a few tricks up my sleeve that will blow you guys away.
n00b

JCF Veteran

Apr 21, 2006, 04:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Ninja
When it's bug-free, you'll see some screens. I've got a few tricks up my sleeve that will blow you guys away.
Ha, I knew it! BN does keep mini-rocket launchers up his sleeve! Everyone take cover!!

JCF Member

Black Ninja is an asset to this forumBlack Ninja is an asset to this forum

Apr 21, 2006, 04:40 PM
I'm going to go ahead and rephrase my earlier post, because this topic is starting to make my happy hurt. I'll post screenshots when I'm good and ready. You can chose to believe that I actually have a resolution changer, or you can believe that I'm just feeding you bull. It's really up to you.

In any case, I still will *never* release this program until I have spoken with several key people on the subject.

JCF Member

Birdie is doing well so far

Apr 21, 2006, 05:54 PM
Quote:
In any case, I still will *never* release this program until I have spoken with several key people on the subject.
Iam I key? =D

JCF Member

Trafton is an asset to this forum

Apr 21, 2006, 10:29 PM
I am ambivalent. I think it would be used for cheating. Then again, I think that this is such a trivial issues there there is nothing much worth considering there. On the other hand, there is no way to test for this in something like a duel.

I do not think that Option 3 is much of an option. Invariably, limited release programs do not have a limited release.
R3ptile

Banned

Apr 22, 2006, 01:12 AM
If you call this cheating, then you may consider turning Ambient Lighting off as cheating as well.

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Apr 22, 2006, 01:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThA BLiNG BLiNG RaBBiT
If you call this cheating, then you may consider turning Ambient Lighting off as cheating as well.
Eh, no.
R3ptile

Banned

Apr 22, 2006, 01:27 AM
No?

- They both give you an advantage
- They both make the game easier
- It would be considered as an unfair advantage if both were released only to several people
Old Apr 22, 2006, 01:32 AM
cooba
This message has been deleted by cooba.
R3ptile

Banned

Apr 22, 2006, 01:35 AM
Aren't those reasonable arguments? I don't get your point. You're just against high-res without thinking, no matter what. This is bad.

And I find it interesting that all people who voted no except two or three (or, say, an extreme maximum of FOUR) don't play the game actively anymore.

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Apr 22, 2006, 01:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3ptile
Turning Ambient Lighting down is an advantage now? No MP level is dark enough to not see other players, so I don't get you here.
Quote:
In SP, maybe. But then again no one cares if you're playing SP in 1024x768 or not.
Quote:
- It would be considered as an unfair advantage if both were released only to several people
Those several people who have the resolution changer don't play actively (or at all).
Quote:
You're just against high-res without thinking, no matter what. This is bad.
You're just for high-res without thinking, no matter what. This is bad.
Quote:
And I find it interesting that all people who voted no except two or three (or, say, an extreme maximum of FOUR) don't play the game actively anymore.
So what?
R3ptile

Banned

Apr 22, 2006, 01:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooba
Turning Ambient Lighting down is an advantage now? No MP level is dark enough to not see other players, so I don't get you here.
It helps you to see better, so yes, it's an advantage.

Quote:
In SP, maybe. But then again no one cares if you're playing SP in 1024x768 or not.
...huh? It makes the game a lot easier in MP, as it was said several times in this thread.

Quote:
Those several people who have the resolution changer don't play actively (or at all).
But sooner or later some other people would find out how to play with higher resolutions, and then the game would be ruined.

Quote:
So what?
So we should ignore their votes since they don't even care about the game.

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Apr 22, 2006, 01:43 AM
Quote:
No MP level is dark enough to not see other players, so I don't get you here.
You obviously didn't play my earlier levels :P

JCF Veteran

Apr 22, 2006, 01:44 AM
Quote:
You obviously didn't play my earlier levels :P
As if people were still playing them online.

Administrator

Apr 22, 2006, 01:46 AM
I recently hosted one, yes.

JCF Veteran

Apr 22, 2006, 01:53 AM
...I'm tired of those long posts...

Quote:
I recently hosted one, yes.
And do I see other people hosting it? Do I see people dueling in it? You hosting a level once doesn't really count.
Quote:
It helps you to see better, so yes, it's an advantage.
As long as the level doesn't have lighting reduced to anything below 60%, no one would consider that as an advantage letting people to see better.
Quote:
...huh? It makes the game a lot easier in MP, as it was said several times in this thread.
Two posts don't make "several".
Quote:
But sooner or later some other people would find out how to play with higher resolutions, and then the game would be ruined.
It took BN 2 years to figure out higher resolutions, and so far no one's inclined enough to try finding out. So even if people figure out 800x600 and beyond, they won't do it anytime soon.
Quote:
So we should ignore their votes since they don't even care about the game.
Nimrod and Monolith don't play actively. Does that make them not care about the game?
R3ptile

Banned

Apr 22, 2006, 01:54 AM
Quote:
I still will *never* release this program until I have spoken with several key people on the subject.
Some people are towardly biased for it, some others are towardly biased against it. Some play this game 24\7, some others play it once a year or even less. I just hope you are going to contact the right people.

Quote:
It took BN 2 years to figure out higher resolutions, and so far no one's inclined enough to try finding out. So even if people figure out 800x600 and beyond, they won't do it anytime soon.
Well, just so you know, Jam already came pretty close.

Quote:
Nimrod and Monolith don't play actively. Does that make them not care about the game?
Nimrod said several times already that he doesn't care about the game anymore. If he meant it or not, I don't know.
Old Apr 22, 2006, 01:56 AM
R3ptile
This message has been deleted by R3ptile. Reason: oops 2x post

JCF Member

Apr 22, 2006, 02:58 AM
Quote:
No?

Ambient lightning is a general jj2 feature, it was purposedly added by the developers, and everyone has it. Everyone has equal opportunity to use it - indeed, it won't give many people computer problems either. Instead of making up more one-liner arguments. The thing is, with high resolutions, it was not added by the developers, not everyone has it, etc.

To say that the no voters "don't even care about the game" is just laughable, btw. I would gather that if you spend hours running the listservers, creating tileset utilities or creating security apps (Monolith), make new levels (ShadowGPW), create a lot of cool stuff (BlurredD) or spend hours maintaining a site (me) you care about the game. All your one-liners are pretty silly.

I'd think that if Nimrod didn't care for the game he wouldn't spend hours setting up the bash, creating security tools and running the listservers, btw.

Spotify.fm

Old Apr 22, 2006, 03:08 AM
R3ptile
This message has been deleted by R3ptile.
Old Apr 22, 2006, 03:11 AM
cooba
This message has been deleted by cooba.
R3ptile

Banned

Apr 22, 2006, 03:17 AM
I'm tired of those arguments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fquist
The thing is, with high resolutions, it was not added by the developers, not everyone has it, etc.
..huh? If BN releases it, everyone would have it.

Quote:
I'd think that if Nimrod didn't care for the game he wouldn't spend hours setting up the bash, creating security tools and running the listservers, btw.
That's helping the community. Obviously not what I meant.

By "caring about the game", I was referring to actively playing. All those people you mentioned have nothing to do with it.

Last edited by R3ptile; Apr 22, 2006 at 03:27 AM.

JCF Veteran

Apr 22, 2006, 03:18 AM
Quote:
By caring about the game, you have to do something with playing.
......................not at all. And for the record, I play weekly; just so I'm not deemed as "inactive" while I quite shouldn't be.
n00b

JCF Veteran

Apr 22, 2006, 03:20 AM
Quote:
some others play it once a year or even less.
And others casually play this game.
I find it so funny you look at the JJ2 playing world in such Black and White terms. It seems to make your opinion less well formed and more towards "Propaganda for r3p's cause!", if you leave out other playing "groups".

Quote:
Some people even In this forum never check the downloads, even if the download link is in this forum. Getting everyone to have it is going to be harder than you think.

Quote:
By caring about the game, I meant you have to do something with playing. All those stuff you mentioned, doesn't have anything to do with actively playing the game.
WTB does playing 'activley' in over-competized matches has anything to do with 'caring'. Isn't running the listservers you play on enough? Guess we don't need those.We don't need Security tools so Orbitz, ThaSpaz, and UF can continue terrorzing crap, heck who cares about banning them! That OBVIOUSLY doesn't care about the game. "Helping the community" is mor e"caring for the game" than playing in tournements. Look I won a tournament! I *CaRe*! I play 2v2 every single minute of my waking life! Thats caring fer sure!!!
I'd say Nimmy has done more caring than you ever have.

Last edited by n00b; Apr 22, 2006 at 03:30 AM.
Old Apr 22, 2006, 03:23 AM
n00b
This message has been deleted by n00b. Reason: Merged posts

JCF Member

Apr 22, 2006, 03:24 AM
Quote:
No. Read this post.

I'm not going to answer the silly "you don't care" argument. If you care yourself, you could try to be nicer to people, create a nicer atmosphere so more people would be bothered to play and you could try and bother to read the counter-arguments and reply in a non-one liner fashion.

Spotify.fm

R3ptile

Banned

Apr 22, 2006, 03:30 AM
A J2O news post would be enough. Every Jazz player knows J2O, otherwise he\she wouldn't get the list servers patch.

n00b, I'm sorry, but IMO the ones who "play 2v2 every single minute of my waking life" are the only ones who deserve to vote.

FQ, are you trying to say I'm not nice to people? Well, go play JJ2 once for a change. You're basing your opinion on #jj2 conversations without even knowing me, and it's bad.

Last edited by R3ptile; Apr 22, 2006 at 03:46 AM.
n00b

JCF Veteran

Apr 22, 2006, 03:35 AM
Quote:
A J2O news post would be enough. And yes, every Jazz player knows and visits J2O often, otherwise he\she wouldn't get the list servers patch. And no, FQ, because then people wouldn't even bother to read my posts.
I doubt if a link is easily found in the forum, and a forum member doesn't click it, that they will click a link in a J2O newspost.
Quote:
And no, FQ, because then people wouldn't even bother to read my posts.
The reason why F-quist asked to do that is so he can read your posts. So Fquist, and everyone else against Res-changing aren't people anymore?

JCF Member

Apr 22, 2006, 03:36 AM
Quote:
A J2O news post would be enough. And yes, every Jazz player knows and visits J2O often, otherwise he\she wouldn't get the list servers patch.
That's just not true. If only because J2O isn't the only site with the listserver patch. Just check around, there's enough people that never visit the site. It was quite obvious during the bash, with many people not knowing what it was, despite it having been on the J2O news for some time. Indeed, the Bash Info server kept getting people who didn't know what the bash was or who kept asking the Idle Server for duels. That doesn't seem like they check J2O regularly.

And still, there's the computer hardware argument that you have read, but continue to ignore. Many people will not be able to run the high resolutions, unless you limit the resolution changer to 800x600, which - if you care read my posts - is probably not feasible. You keep changing your arguments, now you say no-one will have an unfair advantage, while earlier you said people should just buy better hardware.

Spotify.fm

Old Apr 22, 2006, 03:39 AM
R3ptile
This message has been deleted by R3ptile. Reason: Stop Replying To My Posts Before I Finish Editing Them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111111 WHAT'S THE RUSH

JCF Veteran

Apr 22, 2006, 03:41 AM
Quote:
Stop Replying To My Posts Before I Finish Editing Them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111111 WHAT'S THE RUSH
You edit posts after people reply to them if anything
R3ptile

Banned

Apr 22, 2006, 03:41 AM
Quote:
now you say no-one will have an unfair advantage, while earlier you said people should just buy better hardware.
what?

JCF Member

Apr 22, 2006, 03:46 AM
Oh, come on...

Link. (also, it's not just about monitors, computer power and video cards, too). As I've pointed out again and again and again (and you keep ignoring), there will be a higher difference in advantages between people if a tool is released without certain limitations, than if it's not. It's pretty inconsistent to say the game will be "ruined" if only a few people have the advantage, but not if more of the active people have it, while a lot of people do not have it.

Spotify.fm

R3ptile

Banned

Apr 22, 2006, 03:49 AM
well know what? go make a poll and ask who's computer can't handle 800x600
also, if someone can't 800x600 and really cares about the game, he'd already bother to upgrade his computer. it shouldn't cost too much money anyway.

however it's not like epic wouldn't release a game with high gfx because some computers aren't good enough to run them. that's why i couldn't get your point.

JCF Veteran

Apr 22, 2006, 03:52 AM
Quote:
well know what? go make a poll and ask who's computer can't handle 800x600
How can people know if their computer can't handle JJ2 in 800x600 (which is what FQ meant) if 800x600 isn't yet released...

JCF Member

Apr 22, 2006, 03:54 AM
R3ptile, I haven't been talking about 800x600.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FQuist
And still, there's the computer hardware argument that you have read, but continue to ignore. Many people will not be able to run the high resolutions, unless you limit the resolution changer to 800x600, which - if you care read my posts - is probably not feasible.
Last post now, since you don't even bother to read my posts anyways.

Spotify.fm

n00b

JCF Veteran

Apr 22, 2006, 03:56 AM
Once again stop using "obsesses over tournements and higher res" as a synonym for "cares"
R3ptile

Banned

Apr 22, 2006, 03:56 AM
Quote:
How can people know if their computer can't handle JJ2 in 800x600 (which is what FQ meant) if 800x600 isn't yet released...
you make it sound like jj2 requires some AMD 128-BIT 40000000 GHZ
n00b

JCF Veteran

Apr 22, 2006, 03:59 AM
Hey guys, Doom 3 lags in 800x600. JJ2 must lag too.
R3ptile

Banned

Apr 22, 2006, 03:59 AM
well if you can run doom 3 at all you could run jj2 with your max. screen's resolution easily

start thinking a bit, maybe?

JCF Member

Apr 22, 2006, 04:01 AM
I'll post to say that contrary to what Cooba said, I didn't "mean" 800x600.

Spotify.fm