Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

Promote Underappreciated Uploads Here!

JCF Member

PT32 is an asset to this forum

Jan 20, 2012, 11:23 AM
Thumbs up Promote Underappreciated Uploads Here!

Okay, so I had a bit of a rethink on my Top 10 Neglected Threads thread, and I've revised the whole can of worms.

Due to the number of people who didn't have the time to sit down and scrounge through the musty old cellars of J2O for 10 whole overlooked uploads, I've changed the rules so that you can post as many or as few things here as you like. Hopefully that will work better.

The point I'm getting at is that this is a re-created "Top Ten Neglected Levels" thread. Just like the other one, you can post a link and/or describe a level on J2O that you feel has gone without due praise or recognition. Everybody feels disappointed at one time or another that their stuff hasn't fully been appreciated, so this thread will attempt to rectify that.

Simply post a link here to any upload on J2O you feel has been missed (i.e., uploads with poorly written reviews, uploads with only a handful of reviews or no reviews at all, uploads with an inappropriate rating, etc.), and people can download said upload from J2O and right the wrong.

Furthermore, Violet CLM has agreed (Happily, as he says) to add levels advertised here to the Review Ideas list on J2O, where'll they'll be even MORE visible. (This comment has been sponsored by Violet CLM)

What, you may ask, makes this thread different from the Review Exchange thread? Simple. On the Review Exchange, you submit one of your own levels to be reviewed, and in exchange you review someone else's. In this thread, you submit one (or more) of someone else's levels, and you don't have to commit to reviewing anything. Pure spotlighting. That's all this thread is meant to be.

Administrators, this may or may not be asking a lot, but I'd really appreciate it if this could become a Sticky.

Now, there are a few rules that people will need to follow.

Rule Number One. THE UNBREAKABLE RULE. "Don't post anything here maliciously."

The aim of this list is to promote POSITIVE results, not tear people down even further. No hurtful or vengeful submissions to this thread. If I happen to catch someone breaking this rule, they will be reported to an administrator. Please use good judgment when posting on here.

Rule Number Two. "No personal submissions of any kind."

The last thing I want this thread to become is an ego party. If you truly want your upload to be noticed, either PM another JCF member and ask them to advertise your upload here, or else submit it to the Top 10 Neglected Threads thread, which DOES allow you to cite your own uploads. I want THIS thread to be as free of personal promotion as possible.

Just to clarify, by "No Personal Submissions", I mean YOUR uploads, specifically. If someone else creates a level with, say, your custom tileset or music or whatever, that's perfectly acceptable.

Rule Number Three. "Follow J2O's Upload Rules."

Read them Here.

If it's not street legal on J2O, it's not street legal here. Once again, I urge administrators to take prompt action against offenders.

I think that's about everything. Beyond that, it's your call, so post away and have fun!

REMEMBER THE LITTLE GUY!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a tally of what's been suggested thus far.

Nature's Plot of Land by Ragnarok (Posted by PT32)
The Citadel Tests by Ron97 (Posted by Just a Random User)
After Apocalypse by Jgke (Posted by Just a Random User)
Visceral Tower by djazz (Posted by Just a Random User)
Vanilla Shores by Fawful (Posted by PT32)
Carrotus Lake by King487 (Posted by Ragnarok)
Shrunken Jazz by Dropmat (Posted by Violet CLM)
Matboard by Dropmat (Posted by Violet CLM)
Subsurfacia by Dropmat (Posted by Violet CLM)
InterDimensional Khaos by plunK (Posted by PT32)
Lost Flag by ALEX4u (Posted by PT32)
Voltage Cable Malfunction by Fawful (Posted by PT32)
Sub-Terrestrial by PurpleJazz (Posted by PT32)
The Temple of Twilight by Quickz/Chiyu (Posted by Sir Ementaler)
Cave of Dreams by Jgke (Posted by Sir Ementaler)
Fylke by djazz (Posted by Sir Ementaler)
Radioactive Mushrooms by TP2001 (Posted by Sir Ementaler)
Event Counter by shellyJay (Posted by Sir Ementaler)
Balloon Races by Chiyu (Posted by Sir Ementaler)
Jazz Unleashed by BlurredD (Posted by Sir Ementaler)
Golden Summers by Robee (Posted by PT32)
Hallows Eve by Fawful (Posted by PT32)
Lost Onyx by CrimiClown (Posted by PT32)
Wicked Wood by Fawful (Posted by PT32)

Last edited by PT32; Apr 28, 2012 at 06:09 AM. Reason: List added! And modified!

JCF Member

Jan 20, 2012, 11:26 AM
Here's an example upload advertisement (plus an upload I don't think gets enough credit).

http://www.jazz2online.com/downloads...s-plot-of-land

IN DEVELOPMENT:
Renascence: The Last Jackrabbit

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Jan 20, 2012, 04:42 PM
This is absolutely the purpose of the Review Ideas/Could Use Review section on J2O, and I'd be happy to add uploads nominated in this thread to that list.

JCF Member

Toni_ is doing well so far

Jan 21, 2012, 01:45 PM
The Citadel Tests - This level should have more reviews. It's really good.

After Apocalypse - Still no reviews? Don't tell me he wasted his time on this and you guys didn't even download it!?

Visceral Tower - Come on guys, this collab is a great work. Review it so we? can do more collab levels!

JCF Member

Seren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to all

Jan 21, 2012, 02:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a Random User View Post
The Citadel Tests - This level should have more reviews. It's really good.
I just wrote and deleted a really long hate post towards this level. I'll turn it into a short hate sentence instead:
Name two players except me who managed to beat that level in any of its versions and you'll convince me this piece of crap deserves its current attention, 3 reviews, 9+ rating, a place on ZR level list and a JCS Award.

I am an official JJ2+ programmer and this has been an official JJ2+ statement.

JCF Member

Lithium is an asset to this forum

Jan 22, 2012, 06:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ementaler View Post
Name two players except me who managed to beat that level
Should I say that for your test as well?

I asked you to test it and during the testing you never said it's bad, and after I uploaded it you went to ZR and here and told everyone around that it's crap?!

Everyone who said he didn't like it only did so because he couldn't beat the test. I can't even beat my own test, so what? Should people slap a 1 on Episode 5 just because it's hard? You can at least beat my test, so I'd really appreciate if you told me what exactly makes it so lame as you claim.

JCF Member

Seren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to all

Jan 22, 2012, 08:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium View Post
Should I say that for your test as well?
I'm not entirely sure which one do you mean, but I guess it's xlmxlmtest. You can easily see no one said it's good, it didn't receive any reviews and wasn't nominated for JCS Awards. I didn't ask for adding it to ZR level list because I figured out it'd be pure sadism. As such it has nothing to do with your test.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium
I asked you to test it and during the testing you never said it's bad, and after I uploaded it you went to ZR and here and told everyone around that it's crap?!
You didn't even show me the final version before uploading it, which resulted in tons of bugs I would find if I saw the level (most of which I had to fix later as a ZR moderator). I was also against the red warps from the very beginning. You simply weren't patient enough to let me point out all your mistakes and ignored my suggestions as long as you thought the level was beatable. While we're on it, it wasn't fully beatable in any of your versions and still isn't (unless you have no problem with wall jumping in extreme conditions - have fun in level 23).
Quote:
Everyone who said he didn't like it only did so because he couldn't beat the test. I can't even beat my own test, so what? Should people slap a 1 on Episode 5 just because it's hard?
EvilMike once rated blur's level a 0 because it wasn't proven beatable by anyone including its author (except me, almost 2 years after the review though). And seeing as I'm the only person who completed your test and I did that only after editing it myself, If I was EM and had to review it, I'd give your upload a 1, because it's just as unplayable. Mentioning Episode 5 is out of place as it has been beaten by many people.
Quote:
You can at least beat my test, so I'd really appreciate if you told me what exactly makes it so lame as you claim.
You forgot to make it fun to play.

Toni_

JCF Member

Jan 22, 2012, 11:03 AM
Guys, sorry for breaking the rules, but the 3 posts above me did it too, aswell. I must to answer, since they(?) asked me something.

First of all, this thread is to advertise levels what SOMEONE LIKES and wants to have more attention to it. These 3 levels are my top3 levels I wanted to see reviews for, so that's why I advertised them. I would like an admin to come here and delete last 4 posts, including this one, after a day or two, so I can be sure SE saw this post. Thanks.

P.S. Do not start wars, I just wanted to advertise, and I don't see anything bad in advertising good levels. Tests should be hard, SE. If you can't pass it, it doesn't mean that it's a bad level. Imo, it's a better one. It's always better to have harder tests than easier one.

JCF Member

Jan 22, 2012, 04:11 PM
Angry Nuke this and the other offenders please, admins

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT32 View Post
Rule Number One. THE UNBREAKABLE RULE. "Don't post anything here maliciously."

The aim of this list is to promote POSITIVE results, not tear people down even further. No hurtful or vengeful submissions to this thread. If an administrator happens to catch someone breaking this rule, I strongly urge them to remove the offending post.
Would you folks please show me a little respect by not violating the NUMBER 1 cardinal rule of my thread?! Follow the rules, keep your hateful posts to yourselves and leave my thread out of it.

IN DEVELOPMENT:
Toni_

JCF Member

Jan 23, 2012, 09:52 AM
What? I didn't break that rule. I just wanted to advertise the levels I posted in my post up there. SE was the one who started this.

JCF Member

Jan 23, 2012, 02:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a Random User View Post
What? I didn't break that rule. I just wanted to advertise the levels I posted in my post up there. SE was the one who started this.
Quite right, my friend. I wasn't talking to you in particular, JaRU, but rather the user you mentioned. Plus, I was a little frustrated yesterday, and frustrated people sometimes say dumb things. I apologize for my gaffe. No hard feelings?

Let's end this discussion and get back to the main business of this thread.

Which is promoting underappreciated levels.

IN DEVELOPMENT:

Stealth Admin

Torkell is a forum legendTorkell is a forum legendTorkell is a forum legend

Jan 23, 2012, 03:44 PM
It looks like its calmed back down here, so I'm going to be lazy and not actually bother wielding the modhammer as long as everyone behaves themselves.

Toni_

JCF Member

Jan 24, 2012, 07:15 AM
Apologize accepted!

JCF Member

Jan 25, 2012, 11:31 AM
@Back 2 business!

Here's another MASSIVELY obscure level.

"Vanilla Shores" By FawFul
http://www.jazz2online.com/downloads...p?levelID=6073

IN DEVELOPMENT:
Old Jan 25, 2012, 12:52 PM
Jgke
This message has been deleted by Jgke. Reason: wrong thread
Ragnarok!

JCF Member

Ragnarok! is a forum legendRagnarok! is a forum legend

Jan 26, 2012, 04:55 AM
^ Awkward.

http://www.jazz2online.com/downloads...carrotus-lake/ ~ TSF only but worth a look.

JCF Éminence Grise

Feb 5, 2012, 08:25 PM
Besides the stuff in this thread, I'd also like to give a shoutout to the work of my favorite TSF tileset artist, (Drop)Mat:
  • Shrunken Jazz has been used from time to time, but it's still worth checking out for how different it is from practically any other tileset. It's quite a substantial set, despite only using the sprite colors, and it's full of original ideas and inventive tiles. Levels using it all tend to look pretty much the same, and much like Chateau it has a pretty underdeveloped outside, but it's still a great set.
  • MatBoard is obscure enough that EvilMike once championed it on his JJ2 blog as a totally unknown set, although he was talking about a presumably-earlier version with twenty fewer tiles and a different name. It's based on chess, dice, and playing cards, with some random pools and things thrown in as well. Like Shrunken Jazz, it's one of the most original sets you'll find, with great execution to boot. I imagine it predates Tomb Rabbit 2's chess-themed tileset, but TR2 was developed over so long a period of time, who knows?
  • Subsurfacia is the most ordinary of the three sets, being set in an underwater temple environment with keys and gray blocks and such, but it's still really well done. Despite using the same small palette and simple shading as the first two, it's probably the best underwater tileset there is. It could, admittedly, use a bit more color and a few of the radical block ideas from Shrunken Jazz, but if you don't compare to its less orthodox brethren, it's a very usable set.

(Mat also made Neon City, but it's only worth downloading as a novelty or for the sake of completion. Like the others, it shows him making great use of an idea, but the idea itself -- a tileset made up almost entirely of corporate logos -- is so limiting that even Mat's creativity couldn't really make the end result worthwhile.)

JCF Member

Feb 7, 2012, 02:02 PM
Yeah, Subsurfacia's pretty legit.

:legitsmilie (Well, there SHOULD be one!!!)

IN DEVELOPMENT:

JCF Member

Feb 10, 2012, 11:35 AM
Here's another quality, overlooked level.

InterDimensional Khaos by plunK

http://www.jazz2online.com/downloads...nal-khaos-dom/

IN DEVELOPMENT:

JCF Member

Feb 24, 2012, 10:38 AM
Check this level out.

Lost Flag By ALEX4u

http://www.jazz2online.com/downloads/6556/lost-flag/

IN DEVELOPMENT:

JCF Member

Feb 27, 2012, 11:04 AM
Here's my next (hopefully) great find.

Voltage Cable Malfunction by Fawful

http://www.jazz2online.com/downloads...e-malfunction/

IN DEVELOPMENT:

JCF Member

Mar 1, 2012, 11:52 AM
How the heck did this one go unnoticed?!

Sub-Terrestrial by PurpleJazz

http://www.jazz2online.com/downloads...rrestrial-v11/

IN DEVELOPMENT:

JCF Éminence Grise

Mar 1, 2012, 12:10 PM
Well, it does have more downloads than most anything nearby.

JCF Member

Mar 1, 2012, 01:24 PM
Quickz & Chiyu's Temple of Twilight. Horrible usage of ambient lighting but other than that perhaps deserves a review.
Jake's Cave of Dreams. One of those rare J2O levels that use one of my tilesets. Not the best usage I can imagine but the tileset isn't perfect either. Anyway, 0 reviews.
Djazz's Fylke. Claustrophobics' hell but not so bad to have only 50 downloads.
TP2001's Radioactive Mushrooms. No wonder it didn't become popular as it's one of the weirdest attempts to make something original I've ever seen, I think it's worth taking a look at nonetheless.
Shelly's Event Counter. Hard to believe there's a utility that still hasn't been reviewed.
Chiyu's Balloon Races - Gold. This kind of comebacks definitely deserves more attention.
BlurredD's Jazz Unleashed Demo. Although I understand it's meant to stay rated N/A and over 1000 downloads isn't a small number, I noticed that newcomers hardly ever download it because it's hard to find, while it's certainly one of the best SP packs offered by J2O.

JCF Member

Mar 2, 2012, 02:14 PM
Fylke is amazing. How did we miss that one?

IN DEVELOPMENT:

JCF Member

Mar 5, 2012, 04:51 PM
Cave of Dreams IS a great suggestion. Good find, SE!

IN DEVELOPMENT:

JCF Member

Mar 21, 2012, 11:19 AM
Here's another one. Not a very good song, but still a solid, quality level.

Golden Summers by Robee

IN DEVELOPMENT:

JCF Member

Apr 3, 2012, 10:06 AM
Whoa. Talk about an overlooked level.

Hallows Eve by Fawful

Lol, my review sucks, but it's still a great map.

IN DEVELOPMENT:

Last edited by PT32; Apr 28, 2012 at 06:09 AM.

JCF Member

Apr 20, 2012, 11:26 AM
I love this level. This has some of the most innovative usages of the Dam Nation tileset that I've ever seen (The foreground "Letterbox" bars were a little hard to get used to at first, but ultimately I think contributed positively to the level). The level has good flow, a terrific atmospherical song, and for an upload with 225 downloads, I think it deserves a far better rap than it's gotten.

Plus, it's a multiplayer WATER level, and how often do you see that done these days?

Lost Onyx by CrimiClown

IN DEVELOPMENT:

JCF Member

Apr 28, 2012, 06:03 AM
Here's an overlooked level, at least on J2O (although I DID hear it was pretty popular on the JJnet ladder).

Wicked Wood by Fawful

And if you leap to a conclusion that at 6 it has too many reviews to be on this list, just look at the quality of said reviews. Not a single noteworthy one.

Which is a cryin' shame.

By the way, y'all can chime in and promote levels here at any time, if you like. Just read the Rules and click Post.

IN DEVELOPMENT:

Last edited by PT32; Apr 28, 2012 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Turns out it wasn't QUITE as overlooked as I initially thought...Nonetheless it didn't get very much pub on J2O

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Apr 28, 2012, 07:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PT32 View Post
a glaringly overlooked level
This was one of the most played levels on the JJnet ladder last year.

JCF Member

Apr 28, 2012, 11:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooba View Post
This was one of the most played levels on the JJnet ladder last year.
Really?

See, I've never been on the JJnet ladder before, so I did not know that. Thanks for sharing! (and nice to know that someone actually reads this thread!)

Respectfully, though, that still doesn't change the fact that WW only has...what, 165 downloads?...as well as a smattering of really short Quick reviews and a Featured review written by the level's author himself (which is an interesting commentary on quality of WW's reviews).

Admittedly, Wicked Wood is hardly the most obscure upload I've ever found. But if you take the JJnet ladder out of the equation, WW really doesn't have a whole lot of publicity. And it's a good level.

I do think that it's time I added some more older material to the list, though, since I've strayed a bit away from that.

IN DEVELOPMENT: