Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Archived forums (closed for posting) » War Tavern

Is it? Can it really be... ToU PART 4!

JCF Éminence Grise

Radium is an asset to this forum

Nov 24, 2006, 08:13 PM
I turned around, returned to the valve, and gave it a turn. It creaked and resisted, but eventually went along. The pipe I had just walked along slowly grew cold as the one to my right heated up. The rest of the party, noting my action this time, gathered along the pipe to my left and right for warmth.

JCF Member

Puffie40 is doing well so far

Nov 24, 2006, 08:27 PM
Head right. Let's find out where these pipes go.

JCF Éminence Grise

Nov 24, 2006, 08:39 PM
"Let's find where this pipe is leading," I proposed. Without waiting for anyone to agree, I headed off down the right path. They followed nonetheless.
After a bit of walking the pipe took a sharp turn right. The barren landscape was an especially unnerving sight from this vantage point; looking ahead I could see nothing besides the blank terrain and swirling fog. Looking down the pipe to my right, I could just barely make out the dome through the mists.

JCF Member

Lem_Gambino is doing well so far

Nov 24, 2006, 10:36 PM
Keep following the pipe.

JCF Member

Nov 24, 2006, 11:55 PM
follow the pipe RIGHT

[Silliness]Suggest to the group to move forward while hugging the pipe[/silliness]

JCF Member

Xobim is doing well so far

Nov 25, 2006, 04:55 AM
Just make sure that we feel the temperature of each pipe before we turn the wheels.

EDIT:

Link to image for WR

We need to find the source of the heat/cold fast, so I can follow the "movement" of the heat and show it on the map.

Last edited by Xobim; Nov 25, 2006 at 05:38 AM.

JCF Member

White Rabbit is doing well so far

Nov 25, 2006, 07:49 AM
Thanks Xobim. You don't need to give me a link though. It was the picture that wasn't loading, so I couldn't have seen it with or without a link.

Do you mind if I 'improve' on your map?

(to see the map, go to http://www.jazz2online.com/jcf/showt...784#post388784 )

Currently, we know that the left pipe is the source of the warm liquid and/or cooked spaghetti bolognese. Valves have two values: 0 and 1, 0 being its original state (the state we found it in) and 1 being an altered state (it becomes 1 when we turn the valve). So, as you can see, we have turned both valves, so their values are 1.

Now, the coloured numbers. They're very similar to your 1 and 2 system. Each pipe has a 1 and a 0, and the colour determines whether a pipe is cold or not when the valve has a specific value. To avoid confusion, boxes are used to show which pipes a particular valve affects. If both numbers have the same colour, it means that the temperature is unaffected by the valve's value, although valves from other boxes may affect the temperature.

Now, the longest pipe has a red 01, and a red/blue 01. Using my boxes and my red arrow, you can see that this is not contradictory. It just means that the pipe is cold, that the lower valve is unable to affect the pipe's temperature, and that all the bottom pipes have been deprived of their warm liquid and/or cooked spaghetti bolognese.

I just finished reading ToU 1.

Yeah, follow pipe right.
*goes to read ToU 2*

Last edited by White Rabbit; Nov 26, 2006 at 10:01 AM.

JCF Éminence Grise

Nov 25, 2006, 09:19 AM
"Well, this is enigmatic yet boring," I declared, "it could've at least had a rock. Let's go right." As we walked along the pipe the dome became clearer and clearer until the pipe finally came to an end at its side.
The dome was constructed from smoky gray glass, through which I could make out some tables, cabinets and other blurry objects. The pipe attached to a machine on the inside, probably a heater. There was a single, silver doorway on the dome, but it appeared to have no handle or latch. Two metal plates lay on the ground next to the door; the smaller labeled "3" and the slightly larger labeled "4".

Last edited by Radium; Nov 25, 2006 at 10:18 AM.

JCF Member

Nov 25, 2006, 09:29 AM
Look behind dome.

EDIT: Map updated.

Last edited by White Rabbit; Nov 25, 2006 at 09:54 AM.

JCF Member

Nov 25, 2006, 10:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Rabbit
Thanks Xobim. You don't need to give me a link though. It was the picture that wasn't loading, so I couldn't have seen it with or without a link.

Do you mind if I 'improve' on your map?
[img]
Currently, we know that the left pipe is the source of the warm liquid and/or cooked spaghetti bolognese. Valves have two values: 0 and 1, 0 being its original state (the state we found it in) and 1 being an altered state (it becomes 1 when we turn the valve). So, as you can see, we have turned both valves, so their values are 1.

Now, the coloured numbers. They're very similar to your 1 and 2 system. Each pipe has a 1 and a 0, and the colour determines whether a pipe is cold or not when the valve has a specific value. To avoid confusion, boxes are used to show which pipes a particular valve affects. If both numbers have the same colour, it means that the temperature is unaffected by the valve's value, although valves from other boxes may affect the temperature.

Now, the longest pipe has a red 01, and a red/blue 01. Using my boxes and my red arrow, you can see that this is not contradictory. It just means that the pipe is cold, that the lower valve is unable to affect the pipe's temperature, and that all the bottom pipes have been deprived of their warm liquid and/or cooked spaghetti bolognese.
Very nice, I couldn't have done it better myself. Thanks!

JCF Member

Lem_Gambino is doing well so far

Nov 25, 2006, 10:33 AM
Hmmm. Have Shuri and FooCanoe stand on the "3" plate while the rest of the group stands on the "4" plate.

JCF Member

Nov 25, 2006, 10:58 AM
Tell Fooruman to lick plates.

Look behind dome and accidentally find a machinegun.

Last edited by White Rabbit; Nov 25, 2006 at 12:29 PM.

JCF Éminence Grise

Nov 25, 2006, 11:14 AM
I approached the door, taking a quick peek behind the dome in case there was a hidden machine gun or something cool like that. Sadly, there wasn't. "Fooruman, Canoe, come stand on this," I ordered, standing next to the plate labeled "3". L33tz4n climbed out of the canoe as Fooruman rowed his way over to my position and onto the 3 plate. I got in the canoe with him, and over the wind could just barely hear the sound of spinning gears. "Everyone else, stand on the one labeled '4'."
Uberbob enthusiastically sprinted over to the plate. Fawriel, L33tz4n, and Araches hesitated. "Shur," Faw began, "it's... like half a meter wide." I scowled at him until he complied. The four of them piled themselves on the plate as best they could. The door made a slight clicking noise and shook, but didn't open.
Fooruman bent over the edge of the canoe and gave the metal plate a giant lick. "Miss Ken! This plate tastes of... RELATIVE EQUALITY!"

JCF Member

Nov 25, 2006, 12:35 PM
Go back. Left, turn valve. Turn around, go right, and then back to the dome. (Ok, we need compass directions. I'm getting confused )

Knock on door. Listen for the gears.

JCF Éminence Grise

Nov 25, 2006, 12:49 PM
I turned around and followed the pipe back to the valve. I turned the wheel, causing the pipe to the dome to go cold and the one to the cave to heat up; maybe the door would be more compliant if the heat feed was turned off. I glanced behind me to where I estimated the dome to be from my current location. It looked like pretty long, frigid walk, and wasn't sure I wanted to do it without the warm pipe at my side. Heck, I wasn't sure I could do it.

JCF Member

Nov 25, 2006, 12:53 PM
Go straight ahead.

JCF Éminence Grise

Nov 25, 2006, 12:59 PM
Nevermind the dome, I could always go back there. It was more important I find where these pipes were coming from. "Let's go this way," I called to the party, following the pipe straight ahead.
This must have been leading us back to the tower somehow, because I could see it just on the other side of the rock mass before us. The pipes crossed over a creek of the smoking blue liquid before taking another split. I carefully stepped over the narrow stream (though I could feel a light frost growing on my ankles from just being near it) and felt the pipes. The one on the left was cold, the one on the right was warm. The wheel on the valve was strangely absent.

JCF Member

Nov 25, 2006, 01:11 PM
Dip Katana into stream. Go back to the previous intersection and try to take out the wheel.

EDIT: Map updated.

Last edited by White Rabbit; Nov 25, 2006 at 01:36 PM.

JCF Member

Nov 25, 2006, 01:12 PM
apparently by the hints radium was kind to drop us, we were supposed to head to the dome and crack it open. What does everyone say? Should we explore pipes and freeze to death or should we head back to the dome?

Edit:

Obiously, the puzzle at the dome is weight related. I would have tried standing all on one number before heading off.

JCF Member

Nov 25, 2006, 01:37 PM
Yeah, I'm surprised nobody thought of 'smash dome with katana'.
I say explore the pipes. At least the heated ones.

JCF Member

Raven aka StL should make better posts

Nov 25, 2006, 02:00 PM
Hell, the numbers tell how many people need to be on the plates to open the door......

JCF Member

Nov 25, 2006, 04:19 PM
I just finished reading ToU 2 and still no update.

And whatever happened to these sprites?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radium
Oops, sorry, I forgot this existed. Here's the story: I started drawing new sprites, using vectors because vectors are IN. The new battle system (which is much more computer handled and Risp and I have mostly written the engine for) requires numerous sprites per character. Of course, shortly after I started on the new sprites, I had my finals which took a lot of my free time, and then I recently started my new courses. The sprites don't actually take that long to make, I just don't usually put aside enough time to work on them.
There was discussion about a sprite comic a bit earlier in the thread. If anyone's still interested, I'll release the sprites as EMF files when I'm done. EMFs can be scaled up and down to any size without loss of quality. They can be dropped into Powerpoint, Word, Photoshop (I think) and used like regular clipart.

And, just so people know what UR is talking about: Uberbob is not dead yet. The sprites will be scaled down more in the final. I haven't decided how much.

Edit: Here, play with an EMF file too. http://www.foxmage.com/Newsprite.emf
EDIT: Plothole between ToU 2 and 3...what happened to SC 3.0 and the JJ2 level? Did Shuriken ever finish playing TTR?

JCF Éminence Grise

Nov 25, 2006, 04:35 PM
Hey, I was out getting food D=. Awesome people need to eat too.

And ah, yes, those sprites. Originally the battle system sprites were going to change depending on the spell effects (those ones are normal, bloodlust, poison, hypnotize, and dead, respectively). Eventually Risp and I noticed this would take WAY too much spritage (taking all the possible combinations into account) and just went with rollover text. I think I still have all Shuri's sprites somewhere, too.

... originally Haste was going to turn people's sprite red. JJ1 tribute most people wouldn't get.

As for that plot hole, by the end of ToU2 I was pretty much just telling Lem to kill time and throw stuff at you. Presumably ToU3 picks up a few hours after the end of ToU2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wállácê
Hell, the numbers tell how many people need to be on the plates to open the door......
Mr. Gambino already tried that, I believe... and it would open up a new question of who would actually go through the door while it was open.

Anyway!

I drew my sword and dipped it into the liquid. When I removed it, it had a thin layer of smoking ice on its blade. That was disappointing. "I'm going to go see if I can take out the wheel from the last valve," I called to the party.
"With your ICE POWERS sword?" Uberbob asked.
I looked at my blade, which was still ice covered. "Sure."
I sprinted along the pipe through the windy wasteland until I was back at the valve. I tried pulling the wheel straight up, even standing on the pipes with it below me, but to no avail. It was very well made for a piece of rusty machinery. Whoever took out the last wheel must have been very strong. Or had a wrench.

JCF Member

Nov 25, 2006, 04:55 PM
Turn right (W) and then towards the buildings in the distance...

JCF Member

Nov 25, 2006, 10:27 PM
I would head back to the dome, and get everyone onto one button.

JCF Éminence Grise

Fawriel is doing well so far

Nov 26, 2006, 12:04 AM
I kind of stopped playing long ago ( might start again? ), but it the liquid is really that cold, and we're ever in the need to blow up something, remember the good old fact that sudden change in temperature blows up rocks. Or rusty metal.

JCF Member

Nov 26, 2006, 02:39 AM
But getting that cold stuff to a rock is very hard with no buckets or something alike...

anyway: do a 180° spin and go back to the party at the removed valve. Then go right.

JCF Member

Nov 26, 2006, 06:32 AM
What Xobim said.

Get dagger.

Last edited by White Rabbit; Nov 26, 2006 at 07:12 AM.

JCF Éminence Grise

Nov 26, 2006, 09:30 AM
Going with Xo/WR because 2>1

I went back to the party. "The wheel was stuck on good. I couldn't get it off."
"Even with your ICE POWERS?" Uberbob asked.
"... yes."
We proceeded to follow the pipe to the right. It eventually led us around to the side of the rock mass, where the pipe vanished into the cliff face. Another pipe (I felt it: cold) nearby was coming out of the ground and running across the stream.
L33tz4n, still looking cold and riding in Fooruman's canoe, frowned. "So this is a dead end?"
"Looks like."

JCF Member

Nov 26, 2006, 09:55 AM
Go back to the cave entrance, facing it, then go right.

EDIT: Map updated. It's now too big, so I'm just giving a link: http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/1333/mapup4.png

JCF Member

Nov 26, 2006, 10:50 AM
Head towards the god(-) tower...

(North from cave entrance)

JCF Member

Nov 26, 2006, 11:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Rabbit
EDIT: Map updated. It's now too big, so I'm just giving a link: http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/1333/mapup4.png
I gotta react faster...

Go back to the broken valve and follow the cold pipe. Try to keep warm while doing so.

JCF Member

Nov 26, 2006, 12:30 PM
WR, do you mean head back to the first valve, turn it, and follow the pipe?

I think we should head towards the dome. We have not expirimented enough with the door.

JCF Member

Nov 26, 2006, 12:50 PM
We would follow the pipe, but not turn the valve.

Look at my map. We're currently at the cliff. Going back to the cave would mean that we would be facing it, yes? When we're at the cave entrance, we follow the pipe right, keeping in mind that the positions of the left and right pipes have been reversed.

What kind of 'experimenting' are you proposing?

And Xobim, I think we'll freeze to death if we follow the unheated pipes.

JCF Member

Nov 26, 2006, 02:15 PM
Quote:
What kind of 'experimenting' are you proposing?
I was thinking of placing party members on one plate only and seeing what happens. AFAIK, we only did what the numbers suggested.

Quote:
Look at my map. We're currently at the cliff. Going back to the cave would mean that we would be facing it, yes? When we're at the cave entrance, we follow the pipe right, keeping in mind that the positions of the left and right pipes have been reversed.
Oh? then you have my vote then! That's sort of what I wanted anyway.

JCF Éminence Grise

Nov 26, 2006, 03:23 PM
Wallace, there was a river between you and the tower.

"Follow. We have a long walk," I said, turning and starting back to the cave entrance. Once we reached our starting point I took a right, leading down a pipe as of yet unfollowed.
Eventually the pipe took another split. In front of us and to our right, just beyond the fog, I could make out what looked to be shafts of light, probably from the surface, or even the ice cave. Over the wind, I could hear a loud hissing to my left.

JCF Member

Nov 26, 2006, 03:39 PM
Feel the pipes.

JCF Éminence Grise

Nov 26, 2006, 03:48 PM
Oh wow, I thought, noticing I had forgotten to feel everything in sight. The left pipe was warm and rusty feeling, while the one before me was cold and rusty feeling. The ground was cold and dusty. I was comparatively fuzzy and squishy. I'll presume everyone else was too.

JCF Member

Nov 26, 2006, 03:48 PM
feel the pipes, then follow the warm one.

Edit: ^Okay, go Left

Looking at map edit: Looking at the T (With no wheel) by the cliff, it looks as if that pipe might connect to the "Box Claw". What would happen if the heat is turned on it? I'm betting that dome is a heater shed, and there's bound to be tools in there (Maybe a valve wheel?)

Now assuming the Dome is right in front of us, Turning the valve on stright ahead would route the heat back to the dome. If we complete the circut, what would happen? It could heat the pipe a lot more, now that the heat is being returned...

Last edited by Puffie40; Nov 26, 2006 at 03:59 PM.

JCF Member

Nov 26, 2006, 03:59 PM
Turn wheel. Feel the pipes. Turn wheel back, and go left.

I'll update the map after Radium's next post.