Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » JCS & Scripting

seen some of the levels will never gon on j2o

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Feb 4, 2009, 10:56 PM
seen some of the levels will never gon on j2o

This is the thread to post all those abandoned projects you know you're never going to finish or even touch again, or even projects you finished but aren't good enough to put on J2O! The refuse pile. Stuff that you loved and left.

I'll start with 2.2 levels from some old pack (2003, it looks like) that... okay, honestly, I don't totally remember the plot, but I suspect it was supposed to tell the story of what happened between the two parts of the JJ2 ending movie, that is, the trip back to Carrotus from Dam Nation. Expect 2003-quality level design, but do note an interesting thing about the pack, shown in the filenames and also in the end of jj25e.j2l, where the plot was supposed to be able to branch off depending on what ending of the level you used. Eventually we'll actually see that in practice, right? Download.

What have you got?

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Feb 5, 2009, 03:28 AM
Thumbs up the thread title killed me

Will post some crap later.

JCF Member

Troglobite is a forum legendTroglobite is a forum legendTroglobite is a forum legend

Feb 5, 2009, 02:23 PM
http://www.2shared.com/file/4809185/...ndom_Junk.html
Some of the tileset aren't mine, but I included them if I used them

Lexicographer: Someone who writes dictionaries
Neophyte: A novice, or newbie
Hemisemidemiquaver: In music, a sixty-fourth note

Exit Troglobite, Stage Left

JCF Member

Puffie40 is doing well so far

Feb 6, 2009, 10:47 AM

This is from the only level that was completed. Story was too complicated for one level, and by the time I got somthing planned, I stopped working on it. I don't like dealing with the demon parts.

I might, MIGHT finish it, but it's slim. The ending planned was good.
Ragnarok!

JCF Member

Ragnarok! is a forum legendRagnarok! is a forum legend

Apr 5, 2009, 02:01 PM
Looks nice... Ill post a few stuff later =]

JCF Member

Ðx is doing well so far

Apr 6, 2009, 10:12 PM
ill post some stuf latar.

JCF Member

Olsen is doing well so far

Apr 7, 2009, 01:59 AM
hmm puffie didnt I test that a long time ago? o.o

JCF Member

Dermo should make better posts

Apr 7, 2009, 11:08 AM
MarioInfinity

Photobucket

Do you like Stijn? Take my poll!

Windows is not a virus. A virus is small and efficient...

Note to Stijn: how am i even getting away with this

JCF Member

plunK is an asset to this forum

Apr 7, 2009, 06:34 PM
I would recognize a perfect convert of Super Mario Bros 3 anywhere....... thats sweet. I'll post some stuff later (No laughing, some is worse than that Zeal Lolz tileset of mine)

JCF Éminence Grise

Apr 14, 2009, 04:54 PM
Fooruman Battles
A lot of work went into FSP. I knew that the pack had to end with a Fooruman boss, but I had no idea how that was going to work, so I made some prototypes. (There's a similar test level somewhere for the Mad Monks in TTJJ2, but it's just the same as the final, so it's not too interesting to look at.) Of course, none of these three were actually used for FSP's Fooruman battle... I forget where exactly that one came from, but I still quite enjoy it. Anyway, these three:
footest.j2l: A very early, very generic tile boss. Shoot some destruct scenery, meanwhile the level attacks you.
footest2.j2l: Clearly this is where Greenkiller was developed, although you can see several ways in which the fight was changed between prototype and final. This has Greenkiller as a miniboss to lead up to the big Fooruman fight, which... was highly conceptual but not actually very playable. Avoid the falling turtles, grab the seeker missiles when they bounce out of the ground, shoot the blocks with the missiles, repeat.
footest3.j2l: My guess is that Black Ninja grew out of this one, but I'm not sure. Perhaps the other way around. I think this provides an incredibly elegant solution to the twin problems of being hurt by the boss while it's alive and then not being hurt when it's dead... the lava tile, for the record, was a placeholder, I'd have replaced it with something with a similar mask but better graphics later. Still pretty cool.

(tileset not included)

JCF Member

Puffie40 is doing well so far

Apr 14, 2009, 06:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olsen View Post
hmm puffie didnt I test that a long time ago? o.o
yep That was two years ago wasn't it? JJ2+ made that MP3 mod obsolete since then...

JCF Member

EvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHART

Apr 14, 2009, 08:18 PM
Unfinished and unreleased levels are my specialty. Here's one that a small number of people have seen. It was never finished, though I came close. It was going to be one of the very first levels featuring death pits, and was to be featured in Battle Server, back when it was still around. This dates from may 2006. Note that the version of the tileset used here predates the one where the clouds could be sloped.

The title is "EvilMike's not-so-evil Fortress". A sequel of sorts.

That shield costs 200 coins btw (100 to get to the seeker pu, and then a second coin warp that you see there).

JCF Member

Ðx is doing well so far

Apr 15, 2009, 04:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Rabbit View Post
Fooruman Battles
A lot of work went into FSP. I knew that the pack had to end with a Fooruman boss, but I had no idea how that was going to work, so I made some prototypes. (There's a similar test level somewhere for the Mad Monks in TTJJ2, but it's just the same as the final, so it's not too interesting to look at.) Of course, none of these three were actually used for FSP's Fooruman battle... I forget where exactly that one came from, but I still quite enjoy it. Anyway, these three:
footest.j2l: A very early, very generic tile boss. Shoot some destruct scenery, meanwhile the level attacks you.
footest2.j2l: Clearly this is where Greenkiller was developed, although you can see several ways in which the fight was changed between prototype and final. This has Greenkiller as a miniboss to lead up to the big Fooruman fight, which... was highly conceptual but not actually very playable. Avoid the falling turtles, grab the seeker missiles when they bounce out of the ground, shoot the blocks with the missiles, repeat.
footest3.j2l: My guess is that Black Ninja grew out of this one, but I'm not sure. Perhaps the other way around. I think this provides an incredibly elegant solution to the twin problems of being hurt by the boss while it's alive and then not being hurt when it's dead... the lava tile, for the record, was a placeholder, I'd have replaced it with something with a similar mask but better graphics later. Still pretty cool.

(tileset not included)
i really loved these 3 tests :I

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Apr 15, 2009, 10:20 AM
Violet and EM inspired me to actually post something so here goes: Diamondus ß Scorch

I didn't find Diamß Lava dramatic enough so I made this. Not entirely compatible with the original Diamß sets (I replaced some stuff with mine) but other than that it's all working.

Points of interest:
  • 5,50 - the shine sprites replaced by (blatantly ripped) stars from LMAT Kansas.
  • 6,70-10,83 - I sacrificed the leaves so that I could put seamless water tiles, fire, and the OMF Katana from Labrat.
  • 10,76 - a pretty ugly tile I used to emulate blinking of background stars. It didn't work as I wanted but I'm keeping it for some creative mind
  • Finally, 8,84 - removed a duplicate frame of the waterfall animation (yes, there was one!) and put a Medivo raindrop instead.

Enjoy? I guess.
SPAZ18

JCF Member

SPAZ18 is doing well so far

Apr 15, 2009, 02:00 PM
Wow, very nice tileset and Garden Brawl looks excellent with that set too.

I might have some useless stuff in my JJ2 folder I could put here. I'll see what I can find.

30% COMPLETE

ACTION STATION v2 - OUT NOW!

SP4ZZ3R on servers

My Uploads

JCF Member

PurpleJazz is OFF DA CHARTPurpleJazz is OFF DA CHARTPurpleJazz is OFF DA CHART

Apr 16, 2009, 05:35 AM

A tileset I had in the works, called Concrete Jungle.

JCF Member

CrimiClown is a forum legendCrimiClown is a forum legendCrimiClown is a forum legend

Apr 16, 2009, 07:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleJazz View Post
img

The caves and ground pattern look really nice... the grass, however... Still, I encourage you to finish this. It looks really good.

JCF Member

Jul 15, 2009, 03:55 PM
Hah, unreleased stuff... I have a ton of (-)(-)(-)(-) in all of my different Jazz2 folders (several computers ye), but I got one level which I got kinda far on... was supposed to be the first level of a SP episode, but I never got around to finish it... ofcourse.

I also got a battle level that is basically finished, some people have seen it. It's called Exit Sandland. I wonder why I never released it... (o yea, it was partly because I flat out stole an idea p4ul had for ec with the diamondus tileset, but now that Impressive Flashback was cancelled I suppose it's ok to release it )

JCF Member

Jul 19, 2009, 06:58 AM
It actually looks really neat. ;o

JCF Member

Jul 19, 2009, 07:42 AM
Thanks, and lol, those screenshots are from an earlier version of the level... That's what 3 different computers with Jazz2 on them does to you.

I kinda feel like finishing this >o

JCF Member

DodgeS is a sad, sad person

Nov 16, 2010, 09:17 PM

XD

Traditional Japan
Blizzard
Weird Pipes

JCF Member

Obi1mcd is OFF DA CHARTObi1mcd is OFF DA CHARTObi1mcd is OFF DA CHART

Nov 16, 2010, 11:12 PM
I love that background effect in the first screenshot.
Oh, and since the thread's been revived anyway, I might show one tileset if anybody's interested. I was going to use the Past/Present/Future concept from Sonic CD, and have all the tilesets swap seamlessly, but Violet beat me to the idea with RaneforusV. The 'Present' version of the set is finished, though. Might post a screenshot tomorrow.

JCF Éminence Grise

Nov 17, 2010, 12:56 AM
Oh, well, don't let that stop you from using the concept, and certainly don't let that apparently stop you from wanting to release the tileset at all!

JCF Member

Speeza is an asset to this forumSpeeza is an asset to this forum

Nov 17, 2010, 10:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleJazz View Post

Eh bit late but I love the spring yard zone background !

Yes neg repper it's the spring yard zone from Sonic 1.

Your friendly JCF Hillybilly
DavidkazBest poster of 2010 ! [GpW]

Last edited by Speeza; Nov 19, 2010 at 10:39 AM.

JCF Member

Obi1mcd is OFF DA CHARTObi1mcd is OFF DA CHARTObi1mcd is OFF DA CHART

Nov 17, 2010, 08:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Rabbit View Post
Oh, well, don't let that stop you from using the concept, and certainly don't let that apparently stop you from wanting to release the tileset at all!
Don't worry, the tileset was going slowly, and the 'past' version was having difficulties with inconsistent drawing styles. I might put the present one up, but as it is it's a basic Townsville ][ clone.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 02:45 AM
Crazy Rabbit
This message has been deleted by Crazy Rabbit.

JCF Member

Crazy Rabbit is doing well so far

Jun 25, 2011, 11:54 PM
some scraped stuff as i promised...sorry for spam xD

http://www.2shared.com/file/UZhM-1vF/CRs_JUNKYARD.html

JCF Veteran

Oct 30, 2011, 06:13 AM
A while ago Raggot and I were working on another collab, as a follow up to Rainforest Revelry. We were pretty pleased with how it looked:

The gameplay was pretty much non-existant, though, so we ended up canning the level and Rag disappeared for over a year and I pretty much forgot about it until now.

The most finished version is named "HOUSTON RAGS MOM HAS A LEAK". When making revelry we kept sending eachother burns in that form and this tradition continued

JCF Member

FawFul is a forum legendFawFul is a forum legendFawFul is a forum legend

Nov 16, 2011, 02:11 PM
I like how it starts feeling so slimy . greatly done tbh. I can see the idea is there and that the thin platform-eyecandy + windows in it really makes it neat. It's believable that that kind of soil is polished like that, it actually matches perfectly.

JCF Éminence Grise

Nov 29, 2011, 08:06 PM
While we're on the subject, the original example level for CrysilisV was going to be a lot larger. There's a good deal of path branching, some cute gimmicks, and in general me displaying a complete lack of awareness that CrysilisV's sparse background layers means that levels using it probably shouldn't be filled with wide open spaces.

(The tileset was edited more recently than that level, so you'll need to use jjnowall to get through the light speed dash sucker tube section. Oh well.)

JCF Member

Nov 30, 2011, 03:56 AM
Well that was mighty fun to play, and yeah actually I think that's the main problem I've had with the set, the background, else I'd probably have finished one of the 6 or 7 attempts I've made with the set. It's a really nice set to use (and that example level kinda showed me I was using it a bit differently than you probably intended).

I really liked the collapsing stuff. That was fun!

JCF Member

EvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHART

Nov 30, 2011, 06:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet CLM View Post
While we're on the subject, the original example level for CrysilisV was going to be a lot larger. There's a good deal of path branching, some cute gimmicks, and in general me displaying a complete lack of awareness that CrysilisV's sparse background layers means that levels using it probably shouldn't be filled with wide open spaces.

(The tileset was edited more recently than that level, so you'll need to use jjnowall to get through the light speed dash sucker tube section. Oh well.)
I like the sparse background. It might not have much detail, but it's not ugly. There have been several times when I've deliberately gone with a spare look, even when a more complex one was easily available.

JCF Member

PurpleJazz is OFF DA CHARTPurpleJazz is OFF DA CHARTPurpleJazz is OFF DA CHART

Dec 30, 2011, 01:50 PM
Carrotus Defense Force

The few remnants of a single player pack I started back in 2008. It was essentially an effort to compete with Devres in the "episodic epic" genre. I had a lot planned for it, although very little of what was on paper actually got made in JCS. These are just 3 levels that showcase the best of what was being done up to now. There's also a number of cutscene levels but they aren't really worth showing. None of these are finished; one is about 35% complete and the others are about 5% complete. I'm posting them here because I still feel they're worth looking at out of curiosity. Don't expect the level design to be quite on par with what I am capable now, but have fun!

JCF Éminence Grise

Jan 17, 2012, 08:30 PM
Windy Tests 5

Years ago I had a series of test levels called Windy Tests. The first level was supposed to be a single player level I was making based on some story by Ducky or Blacksheep or someone, but then I decided to make it multiplayer. The series progressed to Windy Tests 4, which greatly expanded the basic formula by adding multi-directional gameplay, and this is what's left of the unfinished 5, which was intended to stretch over multiple .j2l files in accordance with some sort of plot I no longer remember anything about.

wind5a: Artificial Breeze Station. This was intended to serve as a refresher on how Windy Tests worked, gradually walking the player through the basic formula before said basic formula got jettisoned for the more interesting later levels. It's... not honestly worth playing.
wind5b: Untitled, and very much unfinished. Since Wind4 added multidirectional gameplay, I decided that the next logical step was multidirectional test progression. Not a bad idea, but not implemented incredibly well, and massively unfinished.

Someday I may try again, though I'd scrap all this stuff and start afresh. I'm thinking maybe the Xargon tileset.

ETA: actually, let's take a gander at the single player levels too. These are high-concept, which is to say, low-gameplay. Play for the first time the levels from which Windy Tests were born, in which I took an existing set of constraints (the possibilities of the JJ2 engine) and gave myself a whole lot more constraints for no good reason.

Last edited by Violet CLM; Jan 17, 2012 at 08:44 PM.

JCF Member

Treylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legend

Mar 20, 2014, 10:59 AM
I moved my old cancelled tilesets here.

This is my first tileset that got cancelled for several reasons. First of all, my skills have improved so much since then that I would end up wanting to redraw everything, and at that point I should just start again. Second, the theme is so uninspiring I didn't know what EC stuff to add. Third, I limited the colours too much. Fourth, the theme is generic (there's lots of random coloured tilesets out there). Yes...the bottom things are clouds. I was terrible at clouds. I'm still not good at them, but not as bad anymore. I'm not interested in creating basic toony clouds. The flat-looking purple tile with an orange circle is the unfinished tube turning point.

My second tileset. What inspired me to start it was Violet's "challenge" of thinking no one could trump Natures Ruins (well, actually I don't think that tileset is that great). However, this is actually a remake of Natures Ruins and Mystic Isle put together, since they could work without feeling out of place (and for more versatility!).

Here's an experimental alternate pallette version, inspired from graphicsgale's automatic gradient creator. It's a stormy pallette.

However, there were many problems with this attempt. The consistency went off the hook. I was learning how to make tiles look better in the middle of creating this. I started from left to right. Tiling it also would've been a pain the way I drew the tiles. The sea looks decent, but the sheer amount of detail would've made it a huge pain to animate..and a mountain of animation frame tiles. I'm intending to follow a similar style to the V1 sand hill in V2, except it'll be made more with tiling in mind and the right side of the hill won't look like it's sticking out.

Jazz Jackrabbit group: https://discord.gg/vZm95tQ

JCF Veteran

Mar 20, 2014, 02:26 PM
That is fucking magnificent looking. Consider picking it up again sometime!

JCF Member

Mar 20, 2014, 04:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooba View Post
That is fucking magnificent looking. Consider picking it up again sometime!
I'm doing a new version of temple ruins though, and it looks even better. The V2 progress is on "The most OBSCURE/RARE/BLAH" thread, which isn't the best place to put such a thing. I may make an individual thread for my tileset progress.

It might look like there's not enough progress in it so far to compare, though the grass is soo much better. Templeruinsv1 is a tileset trainwreck in terms of consistency and tileability. I've actually improved since I progressed on V1.

If you actually think I should continue that test tileset...lololololol. I can draw Jazz, Spaz and Lori better now, especially Spaz, he was my weakest point.

FireSworD

JCF Member

FireSworD is an asset to this forumFireSworD is an asset to this forum

Mar 21, 2014, 02:52 AM
The grass looks good, but that straight dark spot in the middle gives it a contrived, split appearance, instead of looking reasonably natural. I suggest redesigning the grass, but keep the art style.

JCF Member

Mar 21, 2014, 08:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireSworD View Post
The grass looks good, but that straight dark spot in the middle gives it a contrived, split appearance, instead of looking reasonably natural. I suggest redesigning the grass, but keep the art style.
...Do you guys even acknowledge there's a v2 in the works? The grass is so much better in that version. Fine, I'll put the preview here even though this version is not cancelled.

I plan to keep some elements from original, though. However, I'm not sure how the v2 sea will turn out, it'll probably come down to what turns out best from experimenting, but I'm not animating a huge detailed sea. The v2 sea will at least try to reguard perspective more, though.

The stone sticking out still bothers me, it looks like its glued on. And I don't like the inside soil as much. Otherwise, I think it's an improvement.

Yeah, the rare/unpopular/blah thread was a bad place to post it after all, becoming a "Lets nominate crappy tilesets for the lols" thread.

If someone really likes v1 that much...they can work on it themselves. It's too much of a mess for me.

JCF Member

Love & Thunder has disabled reputation

Oct 15, 2015, 01:02 PM
So, about a year ago, I came up with an idea for a level pack centring around navigating an increasingly complex tube system in Medivo. I ended up making one very short level and then giving up. The level I ended up making is pretty decent, so here's a video of me playing it, and demonstrating one of the reasons I got fed up(A crippling bug that comes up every time I've done a proper test of it - it can be seen at 3:16).

The level was supposed to be about 3-4x as long as it ended up, but I ended up building it in the wrong direction, and I had to cut it short. I'll probably return to the level pack at some point, but I'll start fresh if I do; this level is ugly, rough, and there's that bug, so I'm not sure it's usable.

Anyway, as is visible in the video, I tried to fix the bug by having it teleport you back and forth a bit, but to no avail(Although I remember it working at one point when I was testing it). Putting that teleport in is the point where I gave up.