Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » Beyond Jazz Jackrabbit 2

Jazz Jackrabbit - The Web Adventure

Originals

JCF Member

Originals is doing well so far

Mar 19, 2016, 01:36 PM
Jazz Jackrabbit - The Web Adventure

Hey All,

Id like to share my progress on the Jazz fangame im working on:

The level/world select is based on the rayman games, the sign graphics will be redone.

Its playable on http://jazzjackrabbit.org , keep in mind that this is just an early version.

arrows - move
space - jump
z - sprint (can be buggy on slopes)
shift - shoot

(try to avoid internet exploring, pixel scaling is blurry and havent found a solution yet)

some features that are on my TODO list once i finish the core stuff are:
- touch controls for mobile
- some basic multiplayer like deathmatch

Ideas/suggestions are welcome!

Last edited by Originals; Mar 20, 2016 at 03:36 AM.

JCF Member

DennisKainz is notorious for his worthless posts

Mar 19, 2016, 01:48 PM
You merged Jazz with Rayman, right?
I strongly discourage taking stuff from other games in a commercial game, you know. But this is a fangame. It's a totally different thing.
Feel free to esperiment with all kind of stuff. Just keep in mind that if you'll ever found a company, you'll have to be original. Very original.

Now to try your game ...

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Mar 19, 2016, 01:52 PM
This is quite impressive!

The physics have some notable differences to JJ2's own, for example in the way you accelerate while running. Is this intentional or something that would be fixed later on?
Originals

JCF Member

Mar 20, 2016, 01:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisKainz View Post
You merged Jazz with Rayman, right?
I strongly discourage taking stuff from other games in a commercial game, you know. But this is a fangame. It's a totally different thing.
Feel free to esperiment with all kind of stuff. Just keep in mind that if you'll ever found a company, you'll have to be original. Very original.

Now to try your game ...
Yes it is fan game, non commercial and im not starting a company so yea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stijn View Post
This is quite impressive!

The physics have some notable differences to JJ2's own, for example in the way you accelerate while running. Is this intentional or something that would be fixed later on?
True, (de)accelating is currently faster. I also think a factor is how the camera moves that makes it feels different.
It is not a direct port so it will never be 100% accurate to jj2. But Physics will get tweaked along the way, but not with the intention to make it exactly like jj2.

JCF Member

Seren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to all

Mar 20, 2016, 02:45 AM
On Chrome, the game froze for me several times. Initially it would look like a freeze frame, then after a few seconds the character would disappear from the original position and show up in the top left corner of the screen. The page would then stop responding for good and require a restart. Judging by when it happened and how it looked, I am guessing it had something to do with collision resolution between the player and the ground.

The Castle1 level is missing transparency on background windows placed near the ground that look like grates. In JJ2 coordinates, (94, 16), (102, 16), (143, 23), (148, 25), (169, 23), (177, 23). The fact that the same tiles in other circumstances have correct transparency makes me significantly concerned about your implementation of tile-based graphics.

The game is visibly affected by its frame rate, and that's a really bad sign. I'm not saying the frame rate is low, what I'm saying is that depending on the frame rate, outcomes of performing an action may be different. When jumping on springs, I can reach much higher when my frame rate is higher. If I lower it, either by enabling debug mode or by holding the sprint key - let me spare comments about how the sprint key lowers my frame rate - I can no longer reach certain places.

Forgive me if I remain as skeptical as usual towards another fangame project.

I am an official JJ2+ programmer and this has been an official JJ2+ statement.

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Mar 20, 2016, 02:59 AM
Does this game read levels and tilesets directly from JJ2 data files (.j2l and .j2t) or are you exporting the graphics to some intermediate format? Looking at the files that get downloaded when loading the page the latter seems to be the case.

I suppose there's advantages and disadvantages to both options. From the source code it looks like you are building this on top of Phaser - I'm not very familiar with it so I don't know how flexible it is - but if you would support .j2l files and such you'd have a lot less work creating content for your game.
Originals

JCF Member

Mar 20, 2016, 03:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stijn View Post
Does this game read levels and tilesets directly from JJ2 data files (.j2l and .j2t) or are you exporting the graphics to some intermediate format? Looking at the files that get downloaded when loading the page the latter seems to be the case.

I suppose there's advantages and disadvantages to both options. From the source code it looks like you are building this on top of Phaser - I'm not very familiar with it so I don't know how flexible it is - but if you would support .j2l files and such you'd have a lot less work creating content for your game.
levels are currently made with tiled using j2 might be a better idea indeed

For now i will put the game offline till its in a better state
Originals

JCF Member

Mar 20, 2016, 04:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ementaler View Post
On Chrome, the game froze for me several times. Initially it would look like a freeze frame, then after a few seconds the character would disappear from the original position and show up in the top left corner of the screen. The page would then stop responding for good and require a restart. Judging by when it happened and how it looked, I am guessing it had something to do with collision resolution between the player and the ground.

The Castle1 level is missing transparency on background windows placed near the ground that look like grates. In JJ2 coordinates, (94, 16), (102, 16), (143, 23), (148, 25), (169, 23), (177, 23). The fact that the same tiles in other circumstances have correct transparency makes me significantly concerned about your implementation of tile-based graphics.

The game is visibly affected by its frame rate, and that's a really bad sign. I'm not saying the frame rate is low, what I'm saying is that depending on the frame rate, outcomes of performing an action may be different. When jumping on springs, I can reach much higher when my frame rate is higher. If I lower it, either by enabling debug mode or by holding the sprint key - let me spare comments about how the sprint key lowers my frame rate - I can no longer reach certain places.

Forgive me if I remain as skeptical as usual towards another fangame project.
forgot to revert to delta time physics loop iso fixed framerate

JCF Member

Primpy is an asset to this forumPrimpy is an asset to this forum

Mar 20, 2016, 05:40 AM
I'm really hyped about this. When will the game be up again? I didn't get to play it.

"Floppy ears and a big butt?" - Slaz
luke11685

Banned

luke11685 is doing well so far

Apr 12, 2016, 02:44 AM
Originals what's going to happen with jazzjackrabbit.org?New website with level bug fixes.When another game engine fan dream come true you can try this UbiArt Netframework Game Engine
https://www.change.org/p/yves-guille...-source-engine