Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

JJ2+ v5.12 (last updated 20 August, 2023)

JCF Member

Jelly Jam is doing well so far

Dec 20, 2014, 05:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primpy View Post
Then why can they still move?
Epic probably didn't think that the JCSer will put vines AND frogs in the area where they can interact

JCF Member

Treylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legend

Dec 20, 2014, 12:30 PM
Quote:
May I suggest fixing the frog getting stuck in the ropes/strings/whatever?
It got fixed in 5.0. Sometimes they fall right through it, though.

Jazz Jackrabbit group: https://discord.gg/vZm95tQ

JCF Member

Primpy is an asset to this forumPrimpy is an asset to this forum

Dec 20, 2014, 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treylina View Post
It got fixed in 5.0. Sometimes they fall right through it, though.
5.0 is released or indev?

"Floppy ears and a big butt?" - Slaz

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Dec 20, 2014, 05:33 PM
In development, yet to be released. It's not known yet when that will be

JCF Member

Dec 21, 2014, 02:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stijn View Post
In development, yet to be released. It's not known yet when that will be
Oh, alright :P

snzspeed

JCF Member

snzspeed is a forum legendsnzspeed is a forum legendsnzspeed is a forum legend

Dec 21, 2014, 03:27 AM
Its cool that like 50% of the community have the unreleased 5.0 already.

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Dec 21, 2014, 03:32 AM
5.0 is just the number under which the next plus version will be released. I don't know whether an intermediate version is out in the wild, but as changes to plus are still made daily, I don't think it's the same thing as what will eventually be released as 5.0.

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Dec 21, 2014, 03:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snzspeed View Post
Its cool that like 50% of the community have the unreleased 5.0 already.
More like 5.0% of the community

JCF Member

Dec 21, 2014, 04:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooba View Post
More like 5.0% of the community

Is there a place where I can get it or it's in private testing?

Administrator

Dec 21, 2014, 04:14 AM
That's the list of people with access to the development version. It's not publicly accessible.

JCF Member

Dec 21, 2014, 04:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stijn View Post
That's the list of people with access to the development version. It's not publicly accessible.
D'aww. It's been such a long time since the last JJ2+ version was released.

JCF Member

Dec 21, 2014, 07:34 AM
Quote:
D'aww. It's been such a long time since the last JJ2+ version was released.
Yeah, i wish for the preview of 5.0, too. But sadly, no can do
EDIT: Well that list has the people who were preety much involved in the project.
ANOTHER EDIT: Daaaaaaamnnn, i was hoping for it to come out this christmas

Last edited by Jelly Jam; Dec 26, 2014 at 12:55 PM. Reason: lame

JCF Member

Dec 30, 2014, 01:21 PM
May I suggest a "King of the Hill" gamemode? It's kinda simple: The team who can keep the control point captured for 3 minutes wins the game. The other team can capture it by standing on it for... let's say 10 seconds? There's a timer for each team. The control point can be anything. I don't know if it's just be, but I'd really love to see and play KOTH on JJ2.

JCF Member

Dec 30, 2014, 01:34 PM
Quote:
May I suggest a "King of the Hill" gamemode? It's kinda simple: The team who can keep the control point captured for 3 minutes wins the game. The other team can capture it by standing on it for... let's say 10 seconds? There's a timer for each team. The control point can be anything. I don't know if it's just be, but I'd really love to see and play KOTH on JJ2.
I doubt they will use our ideas for anything. But still, i gotta post this...
Quote:
If you can think of a way team treasure would actually work though, be my guest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Jam View Post
I indeed have an idea how it would work:
There are two vaults (bases?) for each team. The players from the team collect gems and all of their collected gems store in the base.
Example: Two teammates. Each one has like 30 gems. they both go to the vault, and store their gems, and the vault will have 60 gems (30+30=60 ). i'm no programmer though, so maybe this ain't possible...
Zah dud4h

JCF Member

Zah dud4h is doing well so far

Dec 30, 2014, 01:44 PM
Quote:
you can aleardy do that,you just need the domination gamemode on and make a level with one gem

Edit:also the jj+ is gonna to have the save option fixed? cause everytime i load a save file,it gives me an acces violation

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Dec 30, 2014, 02:01 PM
Save files were literally the first item in the issue tracker, but sorry to say, they're not fixed yet. There needs to be a way to get them to play nicely with AngelScript (and other engine changes, but that's the most obvious), and because there are no SP episodes that explicitly require JJ2+, it's never been a priority.

Jelly Jam: Ideas from the community certainly get used sometimes, but they have to hit that sweet spot where ease of implementation meets definite benefit. No guarantees on any specific suggestion.

JCF Member

Dec 31, 2014, 02:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zah dud4h View Post
you can aleardy do that,you just need the domination gamemode on and make a level with one gem

Edit:also the jj+ is gonna to have the save option fixed? cause everytime i load a save file,it gives me an acces violation
Not really what I meant. A control point is a steady tile or more. You can move the gem all over you want and there cannot be a timer or something like that (Since in my idea of KOTH, each team has a timer).

Also, since I steal all the ideas from Team Fortress 2, there could be a "Robot Destruction" gamemode. Each team has a base, each base has robots. There are 3 kinds of robots: C robots, B robots and A robots. C robots drop less gems than B robots, B robots less gems than A robots. Each team's robots are passive props. To be able to destroy the B robots you have to destory the C robots first, same thing to A robots. All the gems are stored in the "reactor core". If a team can reach to the opposite team's reactor core, they can steal their stored gems. All they have to do is to reach the reactor tile (or prop, whatever) and wait there until they steal all the gems (stealing 5-10 gems per second). They have to run with the enemy reactor core to their reactor core, so they can store all the stolen gems. This gamemode is more like a mix of "Capture the Flag" and "Capture", but harder and more exciting. I'd draw something of how should a map look like, but my mouse is kinda broken. If you're curious how this gamemode looks, download Team Fortress 2 from Steam (It's a free game), go to "Play Multiplayer", "Show Beta Maps" and there is "Robot Destruction". Oh, and also for the robot prop could be used the robot boss animation(s). They're not standing still, but wandering.

Zah dud4h

JCF Member

Zah dud4h is doing well so far

Dec 31, 2014, 04:03 AM
Quote:
Not really what I meant. A control point is a steady tile or more. You can move the gem all over you want and there cannot be a timer or something like that (Since in my idea of KOTH, each team has a timer).

Also, since I steal all the ideas from Team Fortress 2, there could be a "Robot Destruction" gamemode. Each team has a base, each base has robots. There are 3 kinds of robots: C robots, B robots and A robots. C robots drop less gems than B robots, B robots less gems than A robots. Each team's robots are passive props. To be able to destroy the B robots you have to destory the C robots first, same thing to A robots. All the gems are stored in the "reactor core". If a team can reach to the opposite team's reactor core, they can steal their stored gems. All they have to do is to reach the reactor tile (or prop, whatever) and wait there until they steal all the gems (stealing 5-10 gems per second). They have to run with the enemy reactor core to their reactor core, so they can store all the stolen gems. This gamemode is more like a mix of "Capture the Flag" and "Capture", but harder and more exciting. I'd draw something of how should a map look like, but my mouse is kinda broken. If you're curious how this gamemode looks, download Team Fortress 2 from Steam (It's a free game), go to "Play Multiplayer", "Show Beta Maps" and there is "Robot Destruction". Oh, and also for the robot prop could be used the robot boss animation(s). They're not standing still, but wandering.
i meant the controls points from domination,you cannot move them,also there are capture scores,just adjust the "timer" how you want

also the robot destruction idea i think it can be implimented in angel script too,making a wave of robots in a area,then when you kill them,they will drop gems and the gamemode must be treasure hunt

JCF Member

Dec 31, 2014, 09:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zah dud4h View Post
i meant the controls points from domination,you cannot move them,also there are capture scores,just adjust the "timer" how you want

also the robot destruction idea i think it can be implimented in angel script too,making a wave of robots in a area,then when you kill them,they will drop gems and the gamemode must be treasure hunt
Still not what I'm expecting, since each team has its own timer.

JCF Member

Treylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legend

Dec 31, 2014, 11:04 AM
Quote:
Still not what I'm expecting, since each team has its own timer.
The score IS the timer. It's just not specific on how much time represents one point.

King of the hill is virtually the exact same as domination with a single control point. The JJ2 control points are too small to stand on them, and they are usually in midair. I'd rather give options that make a real difference, like spawn timers for domination and ctf, gaining gems instantly after shooting a player, and making blinking players incapable of hitting others nor being able of picking up their own gems instantly (which is why treasure results in frustrating chain fights).

Jazz Jackrabbit group: https://discord.gg/vZm95tQ

Last edited by Treylina; Dec 31, 2014 at 11:17 AM.

JCF Member

Dec 31, 2014, 12:27 PM
Quote:
The score IS the timer. It's just not specific on how much time represents one point.

King of the hill is virtually the exact same as domination with a single control point. The JJ2 control points are too small to stand on them, and they are usually in midair. I'd rather give options that make a real difference, like spawn timers for domination and ctf, gaining gems instantly after shooting a player, and making blinking players incapable of hitting others nor being able of picking up their own gems instantly (which is why treasure results in frustrating chain fights).
Doesn't make sense for me, but ayy. What do you think about "Robot Destruction"?

JCF Member

Slaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHART

Dec 31, 2014, 04:02 PM
'Robot Destruction' the way you describe it rather looks like something that could be AngelScripted, instead of being hardcoded into Plus.

Of course I'm no scripter, but I'd imagine making a few custom robot enemies and defining rules on how and when they spawn are a proper base for such gamemodes.

Actually, I thought about some JJ2 'horde' mode a while ago. As in making waves of enemies spawn in Battle maps, which become harder and in greater numbers after each cleared wave, with a chance to resupply ammo/health inbetween them. Then there could be a boss wave once every 10 waves or so. Man, I should learn to use AngelScript sometime..

JCF Éminence Grise

Dec 31, 2014, 06:42 PM
Do! And/or collaborate. There's a sufficient store of people who find scripting any particular effect or feature comparatively trivial, but a) haven't come up with the particular ideas you're looking for or b) don't have the energy to turn snippets of code into full levels. If you're specific enough about what you need, and don't want to put in the time to do it yourself, it shouldn't be hard to find someone to help.

JCF Member

Foly has disabled reputation

Jan 1, 2015, 12:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaz View Post
Actually, I thought about some JJ2 'horde' mode a while ago. As in making waves of enemies spawn in Battle maps, which become harder and in greater numbers after each cleared wave, with a chance to resupply ammo/health inbetween them. Then there could be a boss wave once every 10 waves or so. Man, I should learn to use AngelScript sometime..
Castle defense

I worked on that more than a year ago. At that moment I wanted to make it more like a new kind of jj2 assault level where a group of players could fight against normal jj2 enemies and also more fancy coded jj2 bosses. I also wanted to include a coin system where players could buy new type of guns, upgrades to the castle or other stuff out of the coins fallen from enemies. I stopped working on it because at that moment I kinda lost motivation and some things weren't possible with AS yet
[13:07:13] *** Foly is on a KILLING SPREE!
[13:07:14] *** you killed yourself
[13:07:14] *** Foly was looking good but died instead...

JCF Member

Jan 1, 2015, 03:08 AM
Ah, good to hear I'm not the only one who believes such gamemode is a good idea, Foly. I will try following Violet's advice and start reading the AS documentary. Maybe we can make Castle Defense a collaboration in the near future, as the next JJ2+ release will likely bring enough new AS features anyway.

My current JCS project is an SP level using an original tileset (where only the level isn't fully finished yet). Perhaps I'll delay it and use it to experiment AS features to make it more interesting and visually appealing.

JCF Member

Jan 1, 2015, 04:52 AM
Quote:
'Robot Destruction' the way you describe it rather looks like something that could be AngelScripted, instead of being hardcoded into Plus.

Of course I'm no scripter, but I'd imagine making a few custom robot enemies and defining rules on how and when they spawn are a proper base for such gamemodes.

Talking about the last part, do you mean something similar to "Mann VS Machine" in Team Fortress 2? MvM is a Co-op gamemode where you have to stop the robots from deploying the bomb. Of course, in TF2 this requires "mad" skills since the robots are like 3 times powerfuller than a player and there are tons of robots. There are several waves, depending on the map and the difficulty.

So, this could be done in JJ2 as well? There are so many gamemodes that could be just awesome on JJ2, but looks like nobody's got an initiative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet CLM View Post
Do! And/or collaborate. There's a sufficient store of people who find scripting any particular effect or feature comparatively trivial, but a) haven't come up with the particular ideas you're looking for or b) don't have the energy to turn snippets of code into full levels. If you're specific enough about what you need, and don't want to put in the time to do it yourself, it shouldn't be hard to find someone to help.
I would do it myself but:
-This year I've got an important exam, probably the most important so far. School in Romania is way more difficult than in some of the countries (I know this from various sources) and I have to study hard until this summer.
-I have no idea how to program. I'd like to learn though, since my current life wish is to become a programmer, even if I'm not THAT clever ._.
-I'm 14. No reason to detail here.

If anyone would like my idea, I am up to make a map but nothing more.

JCF Member

Jan 1, 2015, 04:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foly View Post
Castle defense

I worked on that more than a year ago. At that moment I wanted to make it more like a new kind of jj2 assault level where a group of players could fight against normal jj2 enemies and also more fancy coded jj2 bosses. I also wanted to include a coin system where players could buy new type of guns, upgrades to the castle or other stuff out of the coins fallen from enemies. I stopped working on it because at that moment I kinda lost motivation and some things weren't possible with AS yet

Do it! Do it! Do it!

JCF Member

XxMoNsTeRXM is doing well so far

Jan 1, 2015, 06:17 AM
Quote:
Ah, good to hear I'm not the only one who believes such gamemode is a good idea, Foly. I will try following Violet's advice and start reading the AS documentary. Maybe we can make Castle Defense a collaboration in the near future, as the next JJ2+ release will likely bring enough new AS features anyway.

My current JCS project is an SP level using an original tileset (where only the level isn't fully finished yet). Perhaps I'll delay it and use it to experiment AS features to make it more interesting and visually appealing.
Well... I am kinda working on some AngelScripted Gamemodes, I am working on a Survival Gamemode, where you can craft, smelt, collect, mine and there will be certain waves of monsters coming... and a Squad (Team) Wars Gamemode. Where the custom gamemode is Death CTF, and you cannot pass to the other team's side, you can only pass when you have 20 coins, searching underground is very important in this gamemode because you can find certain useful items like the Health-o-meter which allows you to see everybody's health.

Items in Squad (Team) Wars:

1. Health-o-meter (already explained)
2. Camera (You can look through the level and see what others do)
3. Chatting Device (Everytime you find an item you tell in public chat you got that certain item, well this makes you only talk in team chat)
4. Lost Flag (You can get some points using a flag)

You will be able to get those items from chests. Also I can show you some images of the gamemodes.

JCF Member

Jan 1, 2015, 11:44 AM
Well i for once think the plus team should focus on the Race gamemode. When you join as a spectator and watch a race, there is a countdown 3,2,1 even though you aren't playing, that should be fixed. Also, when you join to a race after it's started, the countdown is useless, since the other players can get somewhere while there is a countdown on your screen.
If you find a way to fix these problems, AND you implement 'em in some future plus update, then i think there should be a custom gamemode: Knockout race. Simple, in every lap, the last player that gets to the warp is out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxMoNsTeRXM View Post
Well... I am kinda working on some AngelScripted Gamemodes, I am working on a Survival Gamemode, where you can craft, smelt, collect, mine and there will be certain waves of monsters coming...
Sounds like you're making Minecraft 2D. LOL
EDIT:
Quote:
If you're specific enough about what you need, and don't want to put in the time to do it yourself, it shouldn't be hard to find someone to help.
We're asking you to do it for us cause some of us (me) don't know anything about programming! We can't just 'play' the game in our heads, we need someone to make it FOR us, and that's kinda lame, thus nothing is solved .

Last edited by Jelly Jam; Jan 1, 2015 at 01:13 PM.

JCF Member

Nick1416 is doing well so far

Jan 1, 2015, 12:30 PM
I really like the idea of Knockout Race, maybe this is already possible in Angel Script, I could try something like that when I have the time :P

JCF Member

Jan 2, 2015, 08:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick1416 View Post
I really like the idea of Knockout Race, maybe this is already possible in Angel Script, I could try something like that when I have the time :P
Already possible in Angel Script, already possible in Angel Script. It's all I hear. What if I don't know programming, huh?

JCF Member

Jan 2, 2015, 08:22 AM
Quote:
What if I don't know programming, huh?
Then you learn it, like I'm attempting to do. It doesn't seem like you need to become a scriptkiddie in order to utilize AngelScript properly.

Administrator

Jan 2, 2015, 09:43 AM
Quote:
Already possible in Angel Script, already possible in Angel Script. It's all I hear. What if I don't know programming, huh?
AngelScript isn't that difficult, really. There's an extensive manual for it and you can look at existing levels to try and figure out how stuff works. Sure, there's a bit of a learning curve, but once you learn how to use it you can do a lot of cool stuff, including implementation of the ideas you've described in this thread.

I understand the sentiment of "I don't know how to program, so what is JJ2+ doing for me?". But on the other hand, the JJ2+ team only has limited time and motivation. Spending it on features that allow other people to implement whatever game mode or game feature they have in mind is in my opinion the best way to go, rather than (for example) focusing on adding a few specific game modes which would mean other features would never get added at all.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 10:43 AM
Jelly Jam
This message has been deleted by Jelly Jam.

JCF Member

Jan 2, 2015, 12:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick1416 View Post
Well... it's somehow possible in Angelscript, but... how can you detect who's the last player?

JCF Member

Jan 2, 2015, 12:49 PM
Quote:
Sounds like you're making Minecraft 2D. LOL
Well yeah... something like that...

JCF Member

Jan 2, 2015, 01:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxMoNsTeRXM View Post
Well... it's somehow possible in Angelscript, but... how can you detect who's the last player?
I haven't fully thought about that yet, but I'll think of something. Perhaps some kind of counter if players enter an area, something like that

Last edited by Nick1416; Jan 2, 2015 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Adding Quote

JCF Éminence Grise

Jan 2, 2015, 03:04 PM
Quote:
We're asking you to do it for us cause some of us (me) don't know anything about programming! We can't just 'play' the game in our heads, we need someone to make it FOR us, and that's kinda lame, thus nothing is solved .
I don't see the difference. Either someone makes it for you in C++ or someone makes it for you in AngelScript. But the latter you have the opportunity to learn and help out with, if that's important to you. Even if not, you're willing to use tilesets that other people draw; why not scripts that other people write?

JCF Member

Jan 3, 2015, 04:06 AM
Quote:
I don't see the difference. Either someone makes it for you in C++ or someone makes it for you in AngelScript. But the latter you have the opportunity to learn and help out with, if that's important to you. Even if not, you're willing to use tilesets that other people draw; why not scripts that other people write?
There's a huge difference between programming and drawing a tileset. No one will be up to give you a hand in making a custom gamemode map, even if he/she likes the idea.

JCF Member

Jan 3, 2015, 06:43 AM
Quote:
There's a huge difference between programming and drawing a tileset. No one will be up to give you a hand in making a custom gamemode map, even if he/she likes the idea.
Well, I don't see the big difference to be honest. The one is good at drawing, the other at coding, the other at level designing. And ofcourse someone would give you a hand if they have time, Foly once helped me with angel script a year ago, and now I'm much better at it. And I like the idea of for example KnockOut Race, and have already coded a bit of it . And also try to learn something about programming or drawing yourself, if that's what you need to make something, it's impossible to always rely on others, because they also have to do the things they need to do. But I haven't really seen you directly ask for help, just asking people to do it for you, which is a totally different thing, if you need help in programming, just ask for that, or look at the many scripts to learn from.

JCF Éminence Grise

Jan 3, 2015, 01:39 PM
The downloads section has various levels including thanks to cooba, SE, Purplejazz (and maybe others I missed) for helping with scripts or writing them entirely. There's a snippets list and a help thread.