Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » The Art & Fiction Forum

Summer idiots...

FishKid

JCF Member

FishKid is doing well so far

May 24, 2006, 05:13 PM
Smile Summer idiots...

well i'm obviously a noob, so i'd just like to say hi to the people on the forum.

this little animation is the first part in a wierd series ive been working on.

the first episode is called "SUmmer Idiots..."
http://uploads.ungrounded.net/conten...=0&w=550&h=400
its my first flash and the charecters look way better now than they do in this one. so watch, enjoy, and tell me what ya think of it (warning: my voice is high pitched and annoying)

[Url edit - FQuist]

Last edited by FQuist; May 26, 2006 at 05:45 PM.

JCF Member

CrimiClown is a forum legendCrimiClown is a forum legendCrimiClown is a forum legend

May 25, 2006, 01:40 AM
Yes, your voice is annoying... :P I kinda liked the Flash, it was rather funny. I got a few tips for you, though:

- Try to not speak directly into the microphone. Try to talk 'over' it, so you won't hear the blowing sounds too much.
- Add a little background tune. It's quite boring without any music. You could use a video game tune in the living room scenes and some whacky piano tune for the 'stunts' they pulled.
- Wires and other flexible items shouldn't be in the same Motion Tween as the item connected to it (referring to the controllers). Try to make the wire 'frame-by-frame' animated, so you can adjust it when they are pulled/moved.

Otherwise, good job.
minmay

JCF Member

minmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesome

May 25, 2006, 06:07 AM
Links to Newgrounds aren't allowed here.

JCF Member

CrimiClown is a forum legendCrimiClown is a forum legendCrimiClown is a forum legend

May 25, 2006, 06:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by minmay
Links to Newgrounds aren't allowed here.
They are, but only if he gives us the link of the actual window where the movie will play in.
n00b

JCF Veteran

n00b is an asset to this forumn00b is an asset to this forum

May 25, 2006, 07:00 AM
I got bored while they were talking, and stopped watching. The first bit did sustain my intrest however
FishKid

JCF Member

May 25, 2006, 08:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimiClown®
Yes, your voice is annoying... :P I kinda liked the Flash, it was rather funny. I got a few tips for you, though:

- Try to not speak directly into the microphone. Try to talk 'over' it, so you won't hear the blowing sounds too much.
- Add a little background tune. It's quite boring without any music. You could use a video game tune in the living room scenes and some whacky piano tune for the 'stunts' they pulled.
- Wires and other flexible items shouldn't be in the same Motion Tween as the item connected to it (referring to the controllers). Try to make the wire 'frame-by-frame' animated, so you can adjust it when they are pulled/moved.

Otherwise, good job.
i dont motion tween. nor do i shape tween. tweenings for lazy people in my opinion. and its a first flash anyway... i'm new to flash... and i cant actionscript for jack :P

JCF Member

May 25, 2006, 08:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishKid
i dont motion tween. nor do i shape tween. tweenings for lazy people in my opinion. and its a first flash anyway... i'm new to flash... and i cant actionscript for jack :P
You should use Motion tweens, though, it's a lot more convenient and makes the picture look more professional, over average.

JCF Éminence Grise

Radium is an asset to this forum

May 25, 2006, 12:47 PM
Quote:
You should use Motion tweens, though, it's a lot more convenient and makes the picture look more professional, over average.
I disagree entirely. Motion Tweens are abused way too much these days. They have their places, though.

Anyway, you are VERY experienced with Flash (and animation in general) for someone of your age. And I like your sense of humor. Allow me to make a few suggestions, though:

-Use the Swap or Duplicate Symbol tools. In instances like when the guy on the right turns his head and only his eyes move, you should switch the head symbol so the hair moves correctly.

-Use more sound effects. Whenever someone falls or lands on something, for instance, you need the sound. Otherwise it doesn't have as much effect.

-A bit more complicated of a trick I learned in a CartoonSmart.com tutorial: change the camera view more. A really neat way to do this is to put the whole movie inside a Graphic. Then, just enlarge the graphic and move it around (Tweens work great here) so different parts appear in the frame at different times. It's bad when the camera moves so much that it makes someone sick, but the movie is more interesting when it can closeup on a speaker every once in a while.

Great job overall, though.

<i>"This picture shows me that the gray bird man is just a bully and picks on smaller birds. Just because he has no friends and takes it out on others smaller than him to look good. I can see in the parrats eyes that it does however have a understanding of the gray bird man and is upset about getting cut."</i> - Speeza on cartoon birds.
FishKid

JCF Member

May 28, 2006, 10:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radium
I disagree entirely. Motion Tweens are abused way too much these days. They have their places, though.
yeah. motion tweening is better for like... making things fade in and out... not making charecters move. its okay sometimes if you dont constantly use it... but if ya start making guys move all the movieclips just go crazy unless you make em on different layers. i just think tweening is annoying.. especialy shape tweening.
NinJazz

JCF Member

NinJazz is doing well so far

May 29, 2006, 05:30 AM
oh btw, why are not NG links allowed?
minmay

JCF Member

minmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesome

May 29, 2006, 05:36 AM
Because there's too much inappropriate content on that site.

JCF Member

Blackraptor is an asset to this forumBlackraptor is an asset to this forum

May 29, 2006, 10:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by minmay
Because there's too much inappropriate content on that site.

only if you go to the 18+ section

JCF Member

May 29, 2006, 10:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraptor
only if you go to the 18+ section
Experience, sir?

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

May 30, 2006, 05:45 AM
Quote:
Experience, sir?
It's pretty much logical that there will be explicit stuff in a section called +18, so I have no idea what your deal is.

JCF Member

May 30, 2006, 06:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooba
It's pretty much logical that there will be explicit stuff in a section called +18, so I have no idea what your deal is.
You need to learn the difference between a joke and a serious reply... ;(

JCF Member

Sonyk is doing well so far

May 30, 2006, 06:12 PM
You need to stop overusing and making joke replies outside of their place.

The Flash was pretty nice, although a bit too talkative for my taste. Some parts of it were funny, and the animation was pretty nice, all things considered. And considering the things we normally end up hearing, your voice work is pretty good. Keep up the good work. (And don't get sucking into the dark world of tweening, like SOME people have been suggesting. Your frame by frame animation is great and I hope to see it get better.)
FishKid

JCF Member

May 31, 2006, 06:40 PM
thanks. and i will never tween unless i'm PURPOSELY making the animation crappy, cause the charecter in the green shirt, otherwise known as dan, is gonna be an animator... who sucks at animating... yeah... thanks for leavings some nice reviews (on the forum not newgrounds) and i will keep it up... with different people being the other charecters... my voice is annoying :P (just to go off the subject al lttle, i like how people in this forum dont have to make you scale quote pyramids... thats really annoying in other forums.)

JCF Member

Jun 1, 2006, 03:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishKid
thanks. and i will never tween unless i'm PURPOSELY making the animation crappy, cause the charecter in the green shirt, otherwise known as dan, is gonna be an animator... who sucks at animating... yeah... thanks for leavings some nice reviews (on the forum not newgrounds) and i will keep it up... with different people being the other charecters... my voice is annoying :P (just to go off the subject al lttle, i like how people in this forum dont have to make you scale quote pyramids... thats really annoying in other forums.)
You know, you CAN make it look really good with Motion Tweens... I usually make seperate layers for each bodypart and then make it move whenever needed. I know it is 'abused' a lot, Radium, but I'm talking about using it.

JCF Member

Blackraptor is an asset to this forumBlackraptor is an asset to this forum

Jun 1, 2006, 06:19 PM
Quote:
Experience, sir?

Yes :(

JCF Veteran

Jun 2, 2006, 06:21 AM
While you can make it look good with Tweens, if you're not using tweening, there's no need to start.

I seriously don't get what you have against it however, it's not like Tweening automatically means "ZHOMG CRAPPY ANIMATION".
Ussualy if someone is on a time constraint, they'll have to use tweening to get the work done on time.

JCF Member

Jun 2, 2006, 06:47 AM
Famous Motion Tween Animations:
Decline of Video Gaming 3
DucktaleZ 3

Both movies which used a heck of a lot motion tweening instead of fbf-animation AND they look good! \o/

*grooves on Radium's grave*
n00b

JCF Veteran

Jun 2, 2006, 06:48 AM
Umm. I'm almost (-) postive all of the DucktaleZ 3 was done with 3d animation first, and then traced over in flash.

JCF Member

Jun 2, 2006, 06:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00b
Umm. I'm almost (-) postive all of the DucktaleZ 3 was done with 3d animation first, and then traced over in flash.
As if 3D isn't "motion tweening".

Furthermore, I'm not encouraging FishKid to get worse at Flash by starting crappy Motion Tweening movies, although I just wanted to point out that there ARE indeed very worthy Motion Tween movies...
FishKid

JCF Member

Jun 2, 2006, 09:26 AM
yeah... motion tweening is okay if you dont overuse it... but shape tweening is what makes flashes look crappy... that is overuse way too much.
n00b

JCF Veteran

Jun 2, 2006, 09:32 AM
Shape tweening is defiently crappy.

JCF Member

Jun 2, 2006, 10:18 AM
I've never said anything about shape tweening, though... Yes, shape tweening is to be left to frame-by-frame to clear the job.