Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Maintenance & Feedback » JJ2+ Issue Tracker

Bug Report High Ping in Server List

Necrolyte

JCF Member

Necrolyte has disabled reputation

Aug 23, 2020, 04:22 AM
High Ping in Server List

Just wanted to report a bug that existed since 5.5 (When ASCII list support implemented).
the bug is when someone opens the server list and the ping of the first server is over a certain value (something about 120 ms), the server will be shown as pinging.
since I live far from EU, no one is able to join my server because of the high latency(and I can't join the server with the most number of players too)

[Image1] https://imgur.com/qKQM5mq
148ms results in pinging which is actually not as shown in SGIP and the other instance of JJ2.

[Image2] https://imgur.com/Z2ZQyfg
Server Brut.me is not pinging anymore after its number in the list was changed. Notice that "Gem Collecting challenge" server is not pinging even though it is at the top. That's because the latency between me and that server is 15ms which is low.

Temp solution:
List a fake server and pin it on the top of the list (like what you do to advertise JJ2+ to vanilla players)

-Does it happen in JJ2 (vanilla), JJ2+, or both?
It happens in vanilla and JJ2+ v5.5-5.7
-Does it happen consistently or only sometimes?
Consistently
-Is the level in which it happens using scripting or is the server running a mutator?
It happens in all cases.
Attached Images
File Type: png J2OIMG1_B.PNG (444.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: png J2OIMG2_B.png (1.19 MB, 0 views)

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Aug 23, 2020, 08:11 PM
The BRUT.me server has a ping of about 200ms for me. When it's the first server in the list, it doesn't ping.

JCF Member

Aug 24, 2020, 03:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet CLM View Post
The BRUT.me server has a ping of about 200ms for me. When it's the first server in the list, it doesn't ping.
So I was wrong about the cause of the problem. However, i am 100% sure that this never happened in 5.4 and in earlier versions. since the release of 5.5, players stop joining my server whenever it becomes the first server in the list.
Can we expect a fix for this problem?
What about the solution I suggested?

Last edited by Necrolyte; Aug 24, 2020 at 04:27 AM.

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Aug 24, 2020, 10:32 AM
Your server currently has a ping of 160ms for me, and works fine (also when I make it be the first in the list). So before we can say whether your solution will work and whether you can expect a fix, we'll have to figure out what the issue actually is, if there is one. Based on what Violet and I saw we can rule out that "being first in the list and having a ping over > 120ish" causes a server to display as pinging.

If you or anyone else discovers some kind of pattern that seems to make sense, please report it here.
Necrolyte

JCF Member

Aug 24, 2020, 10:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stijn View Post
Your server currently has a ping of 160ms for me, and works fine (also when I make it be the first in the list). So before we can say whether your solution will work and whether you can expect a fix, we'll have to figure out what the issue actually is, if there is one. Based on what Violet and I saw we can rule out that "being first in the list and having a ping over > 120ish" causes a server to display as pinging.

If you or anyone else discovers some kind of pattern that seems to make sense, please report it here.
Have you restarted your JJ2 after making it the first? what I understood from " (also when I make it be the first in the list)" that you tested it two times, one before making it the first and the other after pining the server. If that's the case, please CLOSE your JJ2, PIN the server, then run JJ2 and test it again.

Many players complained that my server was pinging when there were active players in it which means that it has nothing to do with my connection.

Thanks.

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Aug 24, 2020, 10:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Necrolyte View Post
Many players complained that my server was pinging when there were active players in it which means that it has nothing to do with my connection.
I want to verify here whether you are talking about 'Gem collecting server', because if I'm correct, that server does not actually run on vanilla JJ2, but is a stand-alone app you wrote, right?
Necrolyte

JCF Member

Aug 24, 2020, 11:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stijn View Post
I want to verify here whether you are talking about 'Gem collecting server', because if I'm correct, that server does not actually run on vanilla JJ2, but is a stand-alone app you wrote, right?

Yes, 'Gem collecting server' is a stand-alone app. However, I'm talking about all servers I host not only 'Gem collecting server'. This problem happens even if I host a normal server using JJ2+. No matter what type of server I host, this problem happens on the client side since Jun 1, 2017 (when v5.5 released and ASCII server list support implemented) .

If you want me to host a regular JJ2+ server to test, tell me.

JCF Member

ShakerNL is an asset to this forumShakerNL is an asset to this forum

Aug 26, 2020, 10:12 AM
I see the 'Gem collecting server' pinging most of the times. When it's on top and when it's not on top. I assume it's an issue in the server rather than the list server or other clients.

JCF Member

Aug 26, 2020, 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakerNL View Post
I see the 'Gem collecting server' pinging most of the times. When it's on top and when it's not on top. I assume it's an issue in the server rather than the list server or other clients.
If it's an issue in my server, then why do I always see the pukenukem server at the top pinging all the time and don't see other pukenukem servers pinging?
https://imgur.com/qhfSYKK
As shown in the image, all puke nukem servers are not pinging exept the one at the top (JDC ODT 12). I started to face this problem since JJ2+ 5.5.

Btw, the reason you see 'Gem collecting server' pinging most of the times when it's not on top is because there's a problem in the list server that if I lose my connection/IP changes or put my machine into sleep mode, my server gets stuck there for like forever. So, the server will still be listed when it's not actually up. I remember seeing my server in the list after a week from closing it, and it had the IP I had when I was hosting it.
Attached Images
File Type: png j2o_img.png (454.7 KB, 0 views)

Administrator

Aug 27, 2020, 02:29 AM
There does seem to be some sort of issue, though it's hard to say what's causing it, and we'll need to investigate further to see what can be done about it. Thanks for reporting it!