Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » JCS & Scripting

What would you like to see in a brand new JJ2 level editor?

SPAZ18

JCF Member

SPAZ18 is doing well so far

Apr 30, 2007, 09:55 AM
A better scrollbar in the Tileset menu. Having to scroll all the way from the top through 600+ tilesets everytime the cursor moves off the bar is VERY ANNOYING.

30% COMPLETE

ACTION STATION v2 - OUT NOW!

SP4ZZ3R on servers

My Uploads

JCF Member

Jerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legend

Apr 30, 2007, 10:05 AM
AFAICR, that's the 4th time someone suggests that XD that change is actually rather obvious, as that scrollbar bothers everyone (if it doesn't bother you, then go away and don't come back unless you made a level ;p this thread is only interesting for levelmakers anyway)

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Apr 30, 2007, 10:09 AM
A better scrollbar? How about a whole "Choose Tileset" window which would tell you the name, the filename and the compression version of the tileset, show how many animations can it hold, and output a preview of the tileset.

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Apr 30, 2007, 10:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooba View Post
and the compression version of the tileset
I think people would really just settle for being told "1.23" or "TSF" or something like that.

JCF Member

PurpleJazz is OFF DA CHARTPurpleJazz is OFF DA CHARTPurpleJazz is OFF DA CHART

Apr 30, 2007, 11:45 AM
How about being able to search for a tileset quickly by typing the name in a textbox? For example, say you wanted to use the Castle 1 tileset, you type "Castle 1" in a textbox, then it would instantly load up that tileset. It would save a lot of time in finding a tileset, especially if you have a lot of them in your JJ2 directory.
SPAZ18

JCF Member

SPAZ18 is doing well so far

May 1, 2007, 12:43 AM
Quote:
A better scrollbar? How about a whole "Choose Tileset" window which would tell you the name, the filename and the compression version of the tileset, show how many animations can it hold, and output a preview of the tileset.
I did think about that, but would it be possible?

30% COMPLETE

ACTION STATION v2 - OUT NOW!

SP4ZZ3R on servers

My Uploads

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

May 1, 2007, 02:55 AM
How would it be impossible? :/
finnish pro

JCF Member

finnish pro is doing well so far

May 1, 2007, 05:15 AM
ok...
Neobeo

JCF Member

Neobeo is an asset to this forumNeobeo is an asset to this forum

May 1, 2007, 07:15 AM
Something I have been pondering upon for a while now:
Another file format (e.g. a project file), from which you can compile it into a j2l file of a version of your choice. Think something like how you create PSD files in photoshop, and then when you are finished you "reduce" it to a JPG or PNG. Similarly, you can save and load projects in this superformat, and then export it to a J2L.

A new format would be able to store, among other things:
  • Bookmarks
  • Undo/redo buffer
  • Macros and scripts
  • Stronger password (debatable)
  • Batch compiling info (for multiple versions)
  • Cache linking (e.g using trigger scenery on layer 3)

In a sense, cache linking can be created on a J2L file, but there would be no way of knowing if it was "linked", due to the way the J2L format works. Meaning that if the J2L file was opened on JCS+ and re-saved the cache links will be lost. But a new format would be able to preserve these links.

Of course, JCS+ will still be able to open the humble J2L format, and save as the new format. But still, before I actually implement this idea, I would like to find out what people think about it, whether it is necessary at all. The problem I have with this is probably that it needlessly over-complicates a file format that was already so simple to begin with.
Neobeo's Firetruck

</TD><TD>Myths:
Jazz Creation Station Plus (JCS+) - 10%
Coming soon - a dedicated server! - 25%
Jazz Sprite Dynamite v2 (JSDv2) - 2%
Another generic single-player level - 0%
</TD></TR></TABLE>
n0

JCF Member

n0 is a forum legendn0 is a forum legendn0 is a forum legend

May 1, 2007, 08:19 AM
I love the new ideas, and would love to see as many as possible implemented into a new JCS.

<3.

JCF Veteran

May 1, 2007, 10:28 AM
So what would be the use of macros and scripts in this format if they'd be lost when saved to .j2l?

JCF Member

Erik is doing well so far

May 1, 2007, 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neobeo
Stronger password (debatable)
2048-bit crc + base64 + md5 lol

other than that, the new features seem interesting

Quote:
So what would be the use of macros and scripts in this format if they'd be lost when saved to .j2l?
not if 1.23+ would be made to support it

JCF Member

Jerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legend

May 1, 2007, 02:24 PM
Sounds great, Neo! Though I think no jazz2 changes should be needed to run levels made with this level editor, that would simply suck.

You could also include a tileset recompiler 1.24->1.23. if it has too many tiles, JCS+ can just show a small window like the layer view but then without the layers (lol) which 10 tiles wide and a set number of tiles high, so you can rearrange the tiles in the 1.24 tileset. JCS+ will then generate an 1.23 tileset.

Oh, and what do we need 2048-bit crc, base64 and md5 for? It's just a level project file :/

JCF Member

FreeFull is doing well so far

May 1, 2007, 02:48 PM
Make it work on Linux. Natively.

JCF Member

May 1, 2007, 04:14 PM
Is somebody even trying to do something to JCS?
Or are you just talking about those updates?

JCF Member

EvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHART

May 1, 2007, 08:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neobeo View Post
Something I have been pondering upon for a while now:
Another file format (e.g. a project file), from which you can compile it into a j2l file of a version of your choice. Think something like how you create PSD files in photoshop, and then when you are finished you "reduce" it to a JPG or PNG. Similarly, you can save and load projects in this superformat, and then export it to a J2L.

A new format would be able to store, among other things:
  • Bookmarks
  • Undo/redo buffer
  • Macros and scripts
  • Stronger password (debatable)
  • Batch compiling info (for multiple versions)
  • Cache linking (e.g using trigger scenery on layer 3)

In a sense, cache linking can be created on a J2L file, but there would be no way of knowing if it was "linked", due to the way the J2L format works. Meaning that if the J2L file was opened on JCS+ and re-saved the cache links will be lost. But a new format would be able to preserve these links.

Of course, JCS+ will still be able to open the humble J2L format, and save as the new format. But still, before I actually implement this idea, I would like to find out what people think about it, whether it is necessary at all. The problem I have with this is probably that it needlessly over-complicates a file format that was already so simple to begin with.
I think this is a good idea and I basically assumed you would add something like this. However I have a few suggestions.

Instead of making the format in the way you are thinking of it, why not just have a simple auxiliary file which is loaded alongside the j2l file automatically? For example, you load "level.j2l", and jcs+ automatically loads a file like "level.j2l.jcs" or something. The .jcs file would contain all the extra data you mentioned, but would not contain any of the actual level data stored in the j2l file. This method would probably be easier to work with and implement into the editor. It would also be a lot simpler.

Also, depending on the complexity of the data, you could maybe even make the .jcs file human readable by storing it in a plaintext (maybe xml?) format. But that might not be practical.
finnish pro

JCF Member

May 1, 2007, 10:50 PM
OMG!!! Im late from school!

Last edited by finnish pro; May 2, 2007 at 04:32 AM. Reason: writing error
Neobeo

JCF Member

May 1, 2007, 11:22 PM
Quote:
I probably didn't explain myself to clearly. Let's say you have a hotel level and you created a macro called MakeNewRoom(guest_name) which automagically makes a new room at some location or other. My point is basically that when you load up the project file, this macro will already be stored in it, and available for use. As compared to just opening a J2L file, which has no scripts attached to it. Alternatively, all the macros/scripts could be placed in a global file. (Or EvilMike's response below)

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnish pro View Post
Is somebody even trying to do something to JCS?
Or are you just talking about those updates?
This will be a brand new JCS, if completed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilMike View Post
I think this is a good idea and I basically assumed you would add something like this. However I have a few suggestions.

Instead of making the format in the way you are thinking of it, why not just have a simple auxiliary file which is loaded alongside the j2l file automatically? For example, you load "level.j2l", and jcs+ automatically loads a file like "level.j2l.jcs" or something. The .jcs file would contain all the extra data you mentioned, but would not contain any of the actual level data stored in the j2l file. This method would probably be easier to work with and implement into the editor. It would also be a lot simpler.

Also, depending on the complexity of the data, you could maybe even make the .jcs file human readable by storing it in a plaintext (maybe xml?) format. But that might not be practical.
I like this idea very much. At this point I have some concerns, mainly about the version conflicts (1.10, 1.23, 1.24). But overall I think the pros outweigh the cons, so I'd like to try and get this implementation to work.
Neobeo's Firetruck

</TD><TD>Myths:
</TD></TR></TABLE>

JCF Member

EvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHART

May 1, 2007, 11:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neobeo View Post
I like this idea very much. At this point I have some concerns, mainly about the version conflicts (1.10, 1.23, 1.24). But overall I think the pros outweigh the cons, so I'd like to try and get this implementation to work.
Since you're interested in going for this method, I'd also suggest making a similar sort of file for tilesets. For example, if you load tileset.j2t, tileset.j2t.jcs gets loaded too. The #1 thing I can think of which could be stored in such a file, is what would best be called "templates" - I think I discussed this idea with you before. Templates would basically be groups of tiles placed in a special window, which you can select the same way you select tiles from a tileset. You would also be able to place tiles or events in them, just like you do for a normal level. The purpose of templates would be to provide the mapper with an easy way of selecting common groups of tiles. For example, a hill, or a wall, or some sort of eyecandy pattern, or a cluster of food pickups that go well with the tileset.

The nice thing about this feature would be that it would greatly speed up the level making process, and trying it to tilesets in the tileset.j2t.jcs way would mean templates would not have to be remade for every new level. In fact, tileset makers could even supply a pre-made template with their tileset, to give people a head start.
finnish pro

JCF Member

May 2, 2007, 04:25 AM
Thanks for Neobeo

JCF Member

May 2, 2007, 12:23 PM
Great ideas Mike! The idea of a .j2l.jcs file will have another advantage: the Save and Run only needs to save the .j2l file, instead of a project file and then a .j2l file.

JCF Member

StNick is doing well so far

May 2, 2007, 12:37 PM
I dont know if thats a JCS or a jj2-issue, but trigger-Crates with trigger-Id and delay would be nice

JCF Veteran

May 2, 2007, 12:45 PM
Well I've always been under the impression that Trigger Crates have had a TriggerID

Last edited by cooba; May 3, 2007 at 04:56 AM.
n0

JCF Member

May 2, 2007, 03:02 PM
And delay is possible with an animated tile.

JCF Member

Puffie40 is doing well so far

May 7, 2007, 01:09 AM
Also, have the "Save and run" able to launch either 1.23 or TSF (Preferably as two options on the file menu)

JCF Member

May 7, 2007, 01:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by n0 View Post
And delay is possible with an animated tile.
I tried to get a animated trigger tile to delay, but the animation would not start after the trigger is set.
n0

JCF Member

May 7, 2007, 07:49 AM
One more suggestion for JCS2, let it be able to edit diffrent version type levels. Such as the battery check levels, 1.20, 1.23, 1.24, and (if possible) ones ending in .lev
Saphir

JCF Member

Saphir is doing well so far

May 7, 2007, 08:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffie40 View Post
I tried to get a animated trigger tile to delay, but the animation would not start after the trigger is set.
Just do a (-) lot of starting tiles before anything actually happens

JCF Member

May 7, 2007, 08:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by n0 View Post
and (if possible) ones ending in .lev
Then we can finally play race4 it's my favourite Epic race level, honestly

JCF Member

ThunderPX is doing well so far

May 7, 2007, 08:50 AM
And make a feature to convert between versions as far as possible, with the program warning you about features that won't work when converting to an earlier version. As for 1.24-only tilesets, maybe if there's an 1.23 version, one could appoint what tiles should become what tiles in the 1.23 version (since not all tiles will align properly, most likely.)

JCF Member

May 7, 2007, 11:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphir View Post
Just do a (-) lot of starting tiles before anything actually happens
I tried to do that, but when the trigger is tripped, nothing happens.

JCF Member

May 9, 2007, 06:23 AM
Maybe you are using Trigger Zone ID 0? or you just don't wait long enaugh ;p

JCF Member

May 9, 2007, 06:58 AM
Take a look at the survivor levels. That's where I learnt how to do this for the first time.
Neobeo's Firetruck

</TD><TD>Myths:
</TD></TR></TABLE>

JCF Member

May 9, 2007, 08:59 AM
IMO that 'trick' is rather obvious... I used it in one of my first n00b levels ;p

JCF Member

May 10, 2007, 01:08 AM
Okay... So that everyone believes me...

The Trigger ID is #2. It is a Crate. The Idea is to have the green light come on when the Computer finishes scrolling through the data.

I trip the trigger, and wait.... and wait... and wait... Nope, that green light does not work...

I think the problem might be in the fact there is only one different tile...

Last edited by Puffie40; May 10, 2007 at 01:18 AM.

JCF Veteran

May 10, 2007, 02:20 AM
The green light must be placed on the second to last frame, not the last. The last frame is omitted completely.

I advise that the animation is made longer, though. For a better visual effect.

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

May 10, 2007, 02:25 AM
See, Trigger Scenery is based on all the other block events like Destruct and Collapse scenery, which end in the second-to-last frame because the last frame falls away in four pieces. Granted, they removed the falling pieces for Trigger Scenery, but the second-to-last-frame rule still applies. Shove whatever you want in the last frame - if you have a tileset with letters in it, get a bunch of animations spell out your name or a swear word or whatever floats your boat.

JCF Member

May 10, 2007, 02:29 AM
The trigger animation will stop at the penultimate tile.

Back on topic, .lev files are seemingly useless. Would there be any use at all in messing with their format?
Neobeo's Firetruck

</TD><TD>Myths:
</TD></TR></TABLE>

JCF Member

Grytolle is a forum legendGrytolle is a forum legendGrytolle is a forum legend

May 10, 2007, 04:05 AM
No.

JCF Member

May 10, 2007, 07:18 AM
Yes. We could break the animaniacs levels and the older beta levels.