Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » Beyond Jazz Jackrabbit 2

An entry into a new forum, a new user's debut

JCF Member

Baggers is doing well so far

Jun 27, 2005, 08:13 AM
Thanks man,
Didn't knew you were looking every 5 minutes!
Well ive got mailback so it popped up saying "Oi!...got a post."

I'll really do it tomorrow
Ok thats fine.

is Jazz3D getting the weapon system of JJ2 or the weapon system of ?JSZ¿ JazZz! ??
Im starting off with the standard stuff, but i do want to incorperate at least some of those ideas, they were cool.

Now, if you still want to see that full list of weapon types, weapons, ammo and updates (to see if it is hard to code or something), I can always PM it you
That would be great thanks !

yea, my system specs too...
Your specs are fine (I think that directX is the latest)

Next thing is the error message
Ok, it looks like you tried to move the file..why ?...please dont move or rename stuff as it will crash things...like the updater for one, also the self extracting archives the updator downloads are not for you to run, the only files you need to run are in the "game folders" and "Early Demo" folders... the next updater will make sure you dont have to execute the files yourself.
Id personaly advise deleting the mess you seem to have made (forgive me if im wrong !) and download the updater again...run it, itll tell you how many updates there are, click update and let it do the hard work, then go to the early demo folder and run the exe in there !

(This is the place where you have to say: "You're in the credits")
Hehe you quite possibly will be !

Oh yea, almost forgot: If you are starting creating bosses for your game
Ok this is how its going to work. Im going to get the engine running before i go to uganda...all the enemies and such wont be finshed, I cant ask my modelers to try and push out that much media, they do a great job and for free. However I will still be working on this from uganda, Jonny Ree is going to be my right hand man and is going to be making as much as he has time to (he's a busy lad !).
I will add more to the game itself and tool and make levels....but you havnt seen the real wonder im planning for Jazz !

Online multiplayer is now a definite !
Ive been dying to do it for some time and I think I may be able to. Ive started setting up the online scripts to handle server lists, logins, passwords and more...but the real gem is that Im making the game online modable...this means any level or music track or enemy you make for the game can be uploaded to my server, where it will be checked by a moderator and if suitable will become available for all users to download through their updater.
The updater itself is getting a huge make-over, and will be where you launch any area of jazz from (Jazz Single player, Jazz Level Editor, Jazz Enemy Editor, Jazz Multiplayer, etc)

This is what I dream for this project, a totaly sharable multiplayer experience. Or single player for those on lower bandwidth..doesnt mean you cant download the mods though !

Well thats what im working on, im praying i may be able to get the game engine and updater online before I go I will also have fixed the last bits of the editor.
I probably wont have multiplayer available when I leave but I may have the Mod uploading system working. Whatever is not working when I leave I will try to fix when I am in Uganda, you will have to have patience though as I will be a fulltime teacher out there too, so much less time to play with Jazz.

Hope you like my ideas as much as im looking forward to realising them.
Thanks

JCF Member

piet is doing well so far

Jun 27, 2005, 08:15 AM
page claim!!! in the name of not even reading baggers post.

JCF Member

Jun 27, 2005, 08:22 AM
git.....it the friendly way of course !...it was an imprtant post too !

JCF Member

piet is doing well so far

Jun 27, 2005, 08:24 AM
i did now
i cant waint for a more stable updater :P

JCF Member

Jun 27, 2005, 08:48 AM
Yeah the next one uses a proper ftp transfer where you can see the progress.

JCF Member

Jerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legend

Jun 27, 2005, 08:54 AM
haha i did read your post!, ok, I unzipped my updator to Bureaublad\jupd (Bureaublad=Desktop in Dutch) and started it. It made the GameFolders folder (it has to do that, uh?) and I run the JazzLevelEditor.exe, it tells me to push 1, 2 or 3 for resolutions, I pushed 2 first, second try 1. Then it asked me to push 1 or 2 for 16/32 bit, I pushed 2 first, second try i pused 1 (second try was just minimum available...) but then that error message came up! I will upload the list of weapon ideas too, it has 171 lines, so I don't post it here! Watch your PMs!

JCF Member

Jun 27, 2005, 09:00 AM
Hmmm odd...sorry I didnt recognise 'desktop' I have no grasp of languages ! (other than english of course !)
Im free by tommorow so i'll try and think of what the problem could be....I cant understand what the hell it has to do with visual C++ I dont use anything to do with that.

JCF Member

Jerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legend

Jun 27, 2005, 09:12 AM
Somewhat every error I get, and it's not created by the program or by windows itself (such as the error report) is from C++:S Don't even know what it is:S

and I decided to upload a screenshot of my updator... the Window.bmp file it uses (yes, I found out:P) is ok, but I get this if I start the program!

Last edited by Jerrythabest; Jun 27, 2005 at 09:21 AM. Reason: added stuff

JCF Member

Murderbeam is doing well so far

Jun 27, 2005, 12:59 PM
Why is'nt anyone making Food models?
Food is in jazz 2, right?
So, will someone make at least a pretzel?
Well. food is in jazz 2.
Just another pointless suggestion of mine.

I Don't care about caring.
Enjoy your malware-infested computer at the price of a few annoying animated GIF smilies! - Odin

G

JCF Member

Jun 27, 2005, 01:12 PM
Have you tried getting artists who will work for free and within the limitations of a classic game style...its not easy, then finding out that some that do offer to help cant model any more than a cube. I made a apple, orange, pear and banana to start things off...but i'll try get someone on the food models.

Last edited by Baggers; Jun 27, 2005 at 01:28 PM.

JCF Éminence Grise

Fawriel is doing well so far

Jun 27, 2005, 01:21 PM
Depending on how long this program will take to be fully and completely finished, I might be able to distribute since I'm planning to learn how to use Blender.

JCF Member

Jun 27, 2005, 01:27 PM
I'm sorry if this is dense...but blender is (as far as I know) a modeller, light mapper and has python driven programming system...how does it help with distribution.
You could definitely help with simple models though ! (if you wanted to of course)

[EDIT]
Im sorry if my posts seem crabby tonight, ive got my last exam tommorow and im not too confident with it...sorry i was snapping, ive editted my last post before this one as it was (-)y.
Seeya tommorow when im happy again !

JCF Éminence Grise

Fawriel is doing well so far

Jun 27, 2005, 01:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawriel
Depending on how long this program will take to be fully and completely finished, I might be able to distribute since I'm planning to learn how to use Blender.
ADSADSADS
*contribute

Typo. >O

JCF Member

ShadeJackrabbit is doing well so far

Jun 27, 2005, 02:10 PM
I have the same problem with the updater, and the Level Editor and Main game don't work.
Computer Specs:
-Windows XP
-2(?)(?) MB RAM
-S3 Video Card (On-board, not seperate)
-2.3 GHz
-17 GB of space
-AMD Athlon XP processor
-DirectX 9.0c
So what's wrong? Most likely would be the Video Card, but other than that, it's fine!

Quote:
I see we haven't talked about weapons since page 3, so here I am...
Also, did you think about my idea of the Glue Globber? (New name for the Glue Gun.)

Next, could you make the fast feet from 1.23 actually do something? And maybe allow use of water and lava? That would be sweet.

P.S. Is Lori in the game?

Stop talking sense, this is an internet argument. ~Doubble Dutch

JCF Member

Jun 27, 2005, 02:46 PM
I have the same problem with the updater, and the Level Editor and Main game don't work.
(-)...ah well im up for a challege...my worst fear is it isnt my fault as then I cant fix it.

So what's wrong? Most likely would be the Video Card, but other than that, it's fine!
Can you specify the name of the graphics card please...would really help looking for patterns...also what is you max screen resolution ?
May be worth getting a new graphics card... i mean you have such good spec anyway!...dabs have radeon 9600's with 256meg of memory for under £60
G-Card Link

Also, did you think about my idea of the Glue Globber? (New name for the Glue Gun.)
I loved it...its one of the weapon suggestions im really wanting to put in...its original, novel, fits the gameplay type and could make some great play styles...like setting a blob up as a trap for unwitting players.

Next, could you make the fast feet from 1.23 actually do something?
Wha ?!

And maybe allow use of water and lava? That would be sweet.
Water isnt made yet but shouldnt be too hard. Lava just means a different texture and setting it as painful.

P.S. Is Lori in the game?
Nope...I havnt even got a modeler who will make Spaz yet !....its gonna start off just jazz fully animated and then we will work on Spaz....Im looking into a way to handle user defined textures ingame...so you can still spice your online character up.

==============================

Faw:
Sounds great, I look forward to it !

JCF Veteran

n00b is an asset to this forumn00b is an asset to this forum

Jun 27, 2005, 02:57 PM
Ah, People people people. baggers does not have the powers of the JCS that we have. He has an OEM disc, and therefore some of the things wwe talk about are odd to him.

Meh, the recorder I was using doesn't work on my Laptop, so I could not get videos of the two bosses which aren't used in the official levels. I'll try something else, and yes I know that tiny update on my status is long overdue.
ShadeJackrabbit ShadeJackrabbit's Avatar

JCF Member

Jun 29, 2005, 10:24 AM
Oh, sorry Baggers. The Fast feet are an item which looks like a red and white sneaker with the shoelaces untied. It was supposed to make you run faster. For some reason it doesn't work.

JCF Member

Sonyk is doing well so far

Jun 29, 2005, 10:35 AM
It doesn't work because Jazz 2 was a rushed game which had many things which were put in at some point in development, but never finished. The fast feet, unlike most of these items, actually show the sprites assigned to it.

JCF Member

Jun 29, 2005, 11:50 AM
so this is the chance to let them work

JCF Member

Jun 30, 2005, 10:45 AM
I have asked that this thread is locked/deleted soon,
Dont worry im not giving up its just as im about to release 'JazzCore' im reworking alot of the files on my site and so alot of the stuff in here is going to become void.
A new thread also means a nice fresh slate again, and a chance to pic a less obscure title !
Seeya there !

JCF Member

Sacrush is doing well so far

Jun 30, 2005, 10:53 AM
bye.

JCF Member

Jun 30, 2005, 04:25 PM
Bye, for now, I think, later, uhm.......... Bye!

JCF Member

Blackraptor is an asset to this forumBlackraptor is an asset to this forum

Jun 30, 2005, 04:32 PM
Farewell.

JCF Éminence Grise

Radium is an asset to this forum

Jun 30, 2005, 08:06 PM
You don't HAVE to delete/close a thread to create a new one.

... though a "one thread per user" rule would seriously cut down on spam.

<i>"This picture shows me that the gray bird man is just a bully and picks on smaller birds. Just because he has no friends and takes it out on others smaller than him to look good. I can see in the parrats eyes that it does however have a understanding of the gray bird man and is upset about getting cut."</i> - Speeza on cartoon birds.

JCF Member

Jul 1, 2005, 12:05 AM
Where's the new thread? and baggers, check your PMs!! I have sent you some a few days ago! well, see you there!

JCF Member

Jul 1, 2005, 01:43 AM
All: Thanks !

Radium: Yeah i could have another thread, but it would be on the same topic so id just be wasting space. Id much rather have just one.

Jerrythabest: Christ kid be patient !...Its a rediculously busy time at the moment and im not starting the next thread til 'JazzCore' is ready. Hopefully within a week the new thread will be up. And yes I have already got your PM's...as before be patient, I do have other things to do in my life aswell as Jazz and its already getting most of my time.
Im sorry you got that crash but as I said before, It's probably your hardware...the minimum spec was on a page not long back and im sure your card doesnt match it. Your card needs to be directX 9.0c compatiable (it doesnt have to support everything just needs to be compatible) and yours is only 8.3 compatible...I also have already sent your a link to a good graphics card for under £60.
Im sorry that I cant fix the problem, but its one thats actualy out of my power....but really you do have a good computer, You just need a new graphics card !
I'll talk more about it when the new thread is alive. So till then please wait !

Seeya People
Baggers

JCF Member

Jul 1, 2005, 01:58 AM
sorry if it looks like I was angry or something Didn't want that... yes I knew you are using lots of time on Jazz...... blabla... sorry

JCF Member

Jul 1, 2005, 02:04 AM
No worries...(-) you got back fast !

JCF Member

Jul 1, 2005, 08:48 AM
Only read this if you want to read it. This thread is going to be deleted, so there is no reason not to post it...

well, about my videocard and DX 9.0c... my computer was installed with DX 9.0b... So it isn't an old PC. I have installed DX 9.0c for a million times but some of my 9.0c programs aren't running... I don't know why some DO work and others DON'T work at all... I don't know too why (and I am really not the only one) the DX 9.0c Setup is saying that it has done the trick, with not doing anything at all! I'll check out again if my graphics card is compatible with DX 9.0c... I remember that it was, but I might be wrong becouse that was in January... If it is compatible with 9.0c, this really isn't your fault. If it isn't compatible with 9.0c, this still really isn't your fault:P So, OR it is Microsoft's fault (and that's most likely becouse Microsoft is making mistakes all the time), OR it is the fault of SiS (well, not really...) and I have to get a new graphics card...

Edit: Tested DirectDraw and Direct3D with DXDiag.exe
All tests passed, D3D 9.0 works just as fine as 7.0 and 8.0 do! I'll look up some information on the SiS site too...

Last edited by Jerrythabest; Jul 1, 2005 at 09:27 AM.

JCF Member

FoxBlitzz is doing well so far

Jul 1, 2005, 10:19 AM
Quote:
SiS
Oh no! Not SiS! It has evil satanic powers of incompatability and general slowness! They're even more evil than nVidia is! =O

And no, I am not Japanese.

[22:25] [AkuKitsune] monobot be useful
[22:25] [Monobot] Unable to comply.

JCF Member

Jul 1, 2005, 10:24 AM
I looked up your card reference and it is not directx 9 compatible...it may be installed but it is not compatible!...that is why your directx 9c programs are having issues. And Evilmonkey is right, they are a cursed brand.

p.s.
Direct Draw and direct3d are processor based (i think...i may be wrong), they are not using your graphics card like directx does !

JCF Member

Jul 1, 2005, 10:54 AM
Nvidea make the best video cards! Pixel-shader support! And I know where to get one for $43.99 Canadian! (Once $10.00 rebate gets in.) GeForce FX 5200

EDIT: My video card has stopped being supported by DirectX I think, so that's my problem.

JCF Member

Jul 2, 2005, 01:03 AM
Direct3D uses the graphics card...

well, on the site of SiS, I found out that even the best card doesn't support more than DirectX 8.1! I knew that SiS cards aren't too interesting, but that isn't ontopic...

where are you working on with Jazz3D, any progress? (I don't care if it doesn't work, a new graphcard (or maybe a new computer) will come later... just wanna see it finished on those videos...

don't think about my SiS problem... that isn't your problem hope you might find out something that it runs better on great computers with stupid SiS cards:P and, hope you come with an update of your progress soon, if you are putting so much time in it

JCF Member

Jul 2, 2005, 04:50 PM
Quote:
Pixel-shader support!
Hah, that's been around for a long time now, ever since DirectX 8. And the FX series of cards is so slow. I'm getting 20-40 FPS in Onslaught in UT2004. That's completely embarrassing.

Oh yeah, and the nVidia GeForce FX 5600 is slower than the ATI Radeon 8500, which is one generation behind. I have proof too, just ask for it.

JCF Member

Jul 16, 2005, 05:23 PM
That may be true. But the Nvidia has 128 MB of video ram. And Microsoft reccomends Nvidia, and where you need a Radeon 8000 you need an Nvidia GeForce FX 4000. And Lego Star Wars doesn't run on Radeons.

n00b

JCF Veteran

n00b is an asset to this forumn00b is an asset to this forum

Jul 16, 2005, 05:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAPPER
And Microsoft reccomends Nvidia.
That is proof enough NOT to have one(These are the people who reccomend IE, which need I remind you, is incredibly prone to spyware and doesn't support the png standard). Plus Lego starwars? How does that game require anything heavy duty?

JCF Member

Jul 16, 2005, 06:15 PM
Quote:
where you need a Radeon 8000 you need an Nvidia GeForce FX 4000.
Those are along the same generation. Duh.

Quote:
But the Nvidia has 128 MB of video ram.
Wow, you really show off how much you don't know. Both companies offer 512 MB RAM now for your information.

JCF Member

Sacrush is doing well so far

Jul 18, 2005, 09:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAPPER
. And Lego Star Wars doesn't run on Radeons.
It does run on radeons.

JCF Member

Lark has disabled reputation

Jul 21, 2005, 01:32 PM
I've never noticed this post in all those six months. I should consider expanding the areas of the JCF I browse... This looks pretty cool.

JCF Member

Jul 21, 2005, 11:53 PM
Hey kids !
JUst posting here again to say this project is alive and well still (if your still interested !) and I am working away on the multiplayer over the web ! 8-D
There has been heavy development on JazzCore of recent and I seeing the light at the end of the tunnel now. The hardest thing is going and undoing loads of work in the game itself to make way for all the modable aspects.

Im off for 2 weeks now as I have survival camp in scotland with my mate Joe...so if you dont hear from me again...we died!
My training for my gap year has gone well (thats why I have been absent for a while) so im not more confident at teaching...next step a tiny IT centre in rural Uganda !

Anyway just saying hi and a reminder that
http://www.unseenconcept.net
will take you to the site with all the Jazz3D info, thats generaly the most up-to-date place as far as my developments...When I get back from scotland I will really try and nail the last bits of programming that are really needed before I release the project to your eager mits. The annoying thing is that even with all the coding I have been doing it doesnt seem that much different from when I last posted although theres got to be around 2000-3000 lines changed or added.

Anyhoo, hope you guys havnt given up on me
Bye.