Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » JCS & Scripting

Problem with a level.

Ktos.

JCF Member

Ktos. is doing well so far

May 4, 2011, 10:23 AM
Problem with a level.

I have got a serious problem with one level(it is going to be included in my sp level pack), and well, I need help.

This level uses the special trigger(or destruct scenery) abilities, its about tile cache and stuff like that. Everything was working fine to one moment of the level when the events just refused to work properly(level is acting like there is no events there). And here is my question: How can I make it work? Is there still any hope for the level or do I need to delete many of the events included in this?

Here is the level:
http://www.speedyshare.com/files/28294134/dote2.j2l
Tileset:
http://www.speedyshare.com/files/28294149/Castle2N.j2t
And how do I go through this level when this bug appears:

I hope you can help me...

Edit: I forgot to mention, in this level when you shoot a column the ceiling collapses. It uses many trigger sceneries.

Last edited by Ktos.; May 4, 2011 at 11:07 AM.

JCF Member

Troglobite is a forum legendTroglobite is a forum legendTroglobite is a forum legend

May 4, 2011, 02:28 PM
Maybe the level is simply too big? I think the only time I've heard of events not showing up at all is when there are too many animations for it to deal with. Is it possible to break the level into smaller pieces and/or spread out the events a bit?

Lexicographer: Someone who writes dictionaries
Neophyte: A novice, or newbie
Hemisemidemiquaver: In music, a sixty-fourth note

Exit Troglobite, Stage Left

JCF Member

Sean is a forum legendSean is a forum legend

May 4, 2011, 06:51 PM
Troggy is exactly right. I once had a very similar problem with one of my levels (Forced Decay on my sig, actually) and I also sought help here on JCF. Turns out it's just too big and has too many events. I don't know the exact reason why it doesn't work, but the solution is to remove, remove, remove events. That level looks bigger than mine too.

JCF Member

May 5, 2011, 03:14 AM
Well, previous level is about 50 kb and nothing like that happened to it. This one is about 20 kb.

JCF Member

Sean is a forum legendSean is a forum legend

May 5, 2011, 03:31 AM
It's about number of events, I think. I don't know much about this, in fact I'm a downright amateur but I've had experience with this problem. Your 50 KB level was mostly just big, right? Events were less, right?

JCF Member

Leus AKA Simba is doing well so far

May 5, 2011, 05:26 AM
I had the event problem too way back in the day. I had to break my level up into multiple levels.

http://www.jazz2online.com/downloads/6603/bollyworld/

JCF Member

Seren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to all

May 5, 2011, 07:24 AM
If in your opinion it wouldn't look drastically out of place, you can always try EvilMike's method from the Fortress of Decay (devres71.j2l) and kill the player from time to time with a special CTF bases system. The only side effects of it are losing all the collected fastfires and necessity of making the level a bit more linear and one way, as you need to pass through certain "checkpoints" and can't come back.

I am an official JJ2+ programmer and this has been an official JJ2+ statement.
Ktos.

JCF Member

May 5, 2011, 10:08 AM
@Sean: No, actually that is hard to find a place without events, only in unfinished parts of that level.
@SE: I was thinking about it and I guess its necessary... Or I just have to delete few tigger sceneries.

But well, that could be nice to find a way how to fix it without forcing player to collect all fastfires again/without deleting events. But thanks anyway. Still, if anyone knows a better method please, post it here.

JCF Member

Leus AKA Simba is doing well so far

May 5, 2011, 11:54 AM
I think the best method might be just to split the level in half and make it two levels?

http://www.jazz2online.com/downloads/6603/bollyworld/

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

May 5, 2011, 12:11 PM
That would break immersion (unless JJ2+ and fast exits are used), and what's already done is probably less than half, so Ktoś would have to use 3 j2l files when he could get away with one.

JCF Member

Superjazz is OFF DA CHARTSuperjazz is OFF DA CHARTSuperjazz is OFF DA CHART

May 6, 2011, 09:46 AM
The large amount of destructive/trigger tiles is for sure the cause of the problem, since the level itself doesn't look big at all. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I think you should rather remove excessive animation tiles step by step, than divide the level unless you are going to continue it a lot more.

A side question; Have you experienced any other problems, like memory problems when you try to save or get a game over?
Ktos.

JCF Member

May 25, 2011, 10:54 AM
When im trying to save nothing happens, but while loading it it crashes. In multiplayer (coop mode) everything works fine btw. Maybe i will really have to force a fake deaths caused by ctf bases or something like that...