Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

JJ2+ v5.12 (last updated 20 August, 2023)

liron2319

JCF Member

liron2319 is doing well so far

Dec 31, 2013, 01:17 PM
this not work for me

this not work for me...........
someone can give me maybe the base game download???

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Dec 31, 2013, 02:30 PM
This website is not in the business of distributing commercial software, but it's really not too hard to find on your own.

JCF Member

XxMoNsTeRXM is doing well so far

Jan 4, 2014, 04:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaz View Post
Now that I think about it, isn't it about time this gets fixed?

It happens by starting plussified JJ2 in fullscreen mode (thus by exiting it in fullscreen last time you played), and doesn't ever happen in vanilla JJ2.

I think this bug was already there since one of Blur's releases, and has been pestering the (almost) always fullscreen player that I am.
I also have this problem, and what I do to fix it is when I open JJ2+ I press very fast Alt+Enter (the easy way to do it) or you enter in JJ2 and make it in window mode and then enter back in JJ2+ (the hard way to do it). When you got there you can press Alt+Enter to make it fullscreen and it will work.

When I got this problem I thought I won't be able to play on JJ2+ again.

JCF Member

szmol96 is doing well so far

Jan 4, 2014, 10:55 AM
I have an idea for a save command in AS. To express it more widely, I'll explain. So, there would be a function in AS that would save values of integers, booleans, floats, etc. to a seperate file, that could be later loaded with a load function. That is useful, because in Single Player levels, for example, if I have a bool depending on the visit of a place in level 1, the script of level 2 could load this bool, and the events would depend on the player's actions. I think it's not that hard to implement, so please give it a try. Thank you.

JCF Member

Slaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHART

Jan 4, 2014, 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxMoNsTeRXM View Post
I also have this problem, and what I do to fix it is when I open JJ2+ I press very fast Alt+Enter (the easy way to do it) or you enter in JJ2 and make it in window mode and then enter back in JJ2+ (the hard way to do it). When you got there you can press Alt+Enter to make it fullscreen and it will work.
I always start JJ2+ with the -menu flag as it will somehow open JJ2 to a maximized window, and then press Alt+Enter to go fullscreen. But it would be a lot better for this problem to be fixed altogether.

Perhaps it has something to do with the initialization of the intro movies? For me, it does go fullscreen for a sec according to my monitor, but immediately quits as soon as the Epic intro should begin..

JCF Member

Hare has disabled reputation

Jan 8, 2014, 04:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by liron2319 View Post
this not work for me...........
someone can give me maybe the base game download???
This vendor has a few copies. Just the disc. I asked about it and they say they got them as surplus and they aren't burned copies.

You never know, though. I'm going to try to order one next month. Now if only I can find a genuine copy of TSF.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jazz-Jackrab...item4854aaf739

"Okay. I'm Understand" - burnout92

JCF Member

KRSplatinum is a forum legendKRSplatinum is a forum legend

Jan 8, 2014, 08:26 AM
On a side note, currently the link to download example levels from J2O on the first page of this thread is broken. You can change it to http://www.jazz2online.com/jj2plus/plus-examples.zip ;d

JCF Member

Love & Thunder has disabled reputation

Jan 8, 2014, 08:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hare View Post
Now if only I can find a genuine copy of TSF.
I don't think that's very hard. (That last one even includes the shareware version of JJ1 on a floppy disk)

EDIT: Also, I recommend going for one of the big box ones, as the small CD case ones are generally the LK Avalon version, and are therefore incompatible with Plus.

JCF Member

DennisKainz is notorious for his worthless posts

Jan 14, 2014, 03:46 PM
Did you ever notice that the texture background fading with the back color starts at 1/4 of its distance and ends at 3/4 of its distance.

I think it should start at the very top of the screen and end at the very center of the zenith instead, to create a smoother effect. I suggest you do this in a further version.

And I would REALLY appreciate it if you could finally fix the bug making the textured background move at 3x the speed as layer 5. It has been annoying me for generations!

And one more thing ... Can you fix the AutoSpeed thing? If you change a layer's auto speed, the normal layer speed is set to 0, and that's annoying too!

And another suggestion is of allowing the player to use AngelScript to import a texture into the level from any 8 bit color, 256x256 sized image in the same folder as the level.

Thank you for your attention!

Last edited by DennisKainz; Jan 14, 2014 at 03:59 PM.

JCF Éminence Grise

Jan 14, 2014, 04:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisKainz View Post
Did you ever notice that the texture background fading with the back color starts at 1/4 of its distance and ends at 3/4 of its distance.
It is a bit odd that the fading doesn't start at the top/bottom of the screen, but you wouldn't want it to end any closer to the center, since the texture would just keep getting drawn smaller and smaller and it would look pretty silly. See colon2.j2l in 8-bit.
Quote:
And I would REALLY appreciate it if you could finally fix the bug making the textured background move at 3x the speed as layer 5.

And one more thing ... Can you fix the AutoSpeed thing? If you change a layer's auto speed, the normal layer speed is set to 0, and that's annoying too!
We're not going to utterly change how layer speeds work, because that would mess with every single level ever made, but we might include an AngelScript flag or two for such things someday. Dunno.
Quote:
It has been annoying me for generations!
um.

JCF Member

DennisKainz is notorious for his worthless posts

Jan 14, 2014, 04:32 PM
The solution to satisfy both of us is to provide a command to regulate manually where you want the fade to start or end.

So you keep the fade end at 0.75 in your levels, and I change it to 1.0 in my levels.

And ... is it possible to determine the sprites used for the players? Or maybe just to make the players invisible so you can use jjDrawSprite upon them.

I found a way to use the score, lives and ammo to define stuff done flags that last between different levels, but I would really appreciate it if we could create global custom variables, who do not go lost when you restart or change level. For example, if you want to collect a key in the Mining level and use it to unlock a door in the Jungle level.

Last edited by DennisKainz; Jan 15, 2014 at 08:14 AM.

JCF Member

Sean is a forum legendSean is a forum legend

Jan 27, 2014, 12:46 PM
Ooh, here's a couple feature suggestions.

Calling votes for certain commands, say /vote kick 5, and then votes can be cast by those in the server. Also, voice chat.

JCF Éminence Grise

Jan 27, 2014, 01:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisKainz View Post
And ... is it possible to determine the sprites used for the players? Or maybe just to make the players invisible so you can use jjDrawSprite upon them.
Not in the current release, unless you want to sidestep the entire player physics and make your own engine from scratch with jjPLAYER::key* and jjPLAYER::cameraFreeze and jjMaskedPixel and so on. This may change. We'll see.
Quote:
I found a way to use the score, lives and ammo to define stuff done flags that last between different levels, but I would really appreciate it if we could create global custom variables, who do not go lost when you restart or change level. For example, if you want to collect a key in the Mining level and use it to unlock a door in the Jungle level.
I'd appreciate that too... presumably the contents would be cleared whenever you join or start a server or local game, but would remain intact during cycling. Not totally sure how that'd look, though? Do you just have an array of 100 global integers? 256? Or what?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
Calling votes for certain commands, say /vote kick 5, and then votes can be cast by those in the server.
I think blur might be working on something like this.
Quote:
Also, voice chat.
No.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 02:37 PM
cooba
This message has been deleted by cooba. Reason: not worth it

JCF Member

Love & Thunder has disabled reputation

Jan 27, 2014, 07:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
Also, voice chat.
It's the JCF drinking game -- take a shot of vodka every time someone requests voice chat to be in Plus, and take a shot of whiskey every time someone wants to either make a new Jazz game, or remake an existing one.

JCF Member

Sean is a forum legendSean is a forum legend

Jan 28, 2014, 12:53 AM
I understand why the backlash but it could actually turn out well given the right regulations. Moderators are a-plenty in most online servers these days, and the well-done ones would help add a layer of interestingness to competitive style games, and some fun banter in the simple let's-have-fun ones. Should a server decide otherwise disabling voice chat for it could always be an option.

JCF Member

Toni_ is doing well so far

Jan 28, 2014, 04:37 AM
A simply /gag option would be great to disable someone use a voice.

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Jan 28, 2014, 05:20 AM
Quote:
simply
There is nothing simple about adding voice chat to JJ2+ and that's why we will not do it

JCF Member

Jan 28, 2014, 09:49 AM
Cooba/Vio if you won't make voice chat or voice recognition for plus, how's about speech synthesis instead? And automatic translations as well?

If some players have voice chat off, JJ2+ converts the speech to text, translates from Polish/Romanian to English/Spanish and says it aloud in the voice of Jazz, Spaz or Lori.

This could then be eventually upgraded to a full-fledged GPS navigation system.

And would it be possible to add features such as auto tune, random sentence generator, and add braille screen capabilities to assist game play for the blind?

It would be nice if every plus download came with a coupon for 50 free eBooks, too.

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Jan 28, 2014, 10:17 AM

JCF Member

Jan 28, 2014, 11:31 AM
After all geek-hard suggestions, here's a simpler one: How about making the already existing Turbo mode even harder? The thing is, I enjoy replaying old SP levels in Turbo mode but eventually came to notice that most levels are fond of PU's. The result is that most enemies will die in one hit anyway, making the Turbo difficulty barely noticable as long as you don't take more than 2 hits..

So to make Turbo even more fun:
1. Maybe do a x3 or x4 health multiplication on all enemies? I want to mash buttons JJ1 style!
2. Would it be doable to make all enemies move faster, also JJ1 style? A bit like the Schwartzenguard's chain sickle speed already does.

JCF Éminence Grise

Jan 28, 2014, 11:38 AM
JJ1's turbo increases each enemy's toughness by one--although the flying snake enemies end up getting huge boosts from that--so we followed suit. It's not really possible to apply a blanket speed change to all enemies, but there's always the possibility of their getting special behavior modifications, like some already have for hard mode. There's next to no commitment to backwards compatibility attached to turbo mode, so if there are great ideas, they may happen.

JCF Member

Jan 28, 2014, 12:31 PM
Well, at least JJ1's enemy toughness increase is noticable at any point in-game as it doesn't have weapon PU's, unless you count the RF missiles up-close as a 2x damage. And I'm glad to hear that the turbo mode stands open for new ideas! First things that come to my mind regarding 'behavior modifications' are an increased amount of projectiles for enemies such as the Hatter, and wider jumping patterns for the Fencer and Helmut.

JCF Member

Jan 30, 2014, 05:07 AM
Backward compatibility is nice, but consider that no one should still be running Windows 95, 98 or 2000, so odds are you don't need to test anything there. Those people need to upgrade to at least Windows 7 by now, since JJ2 is kind of broken for Windows 8.

JCF Member

Jan 30, 2014, 05:42 AM
I think Violet meant backwards compatibility with older levels. As changing enemy behavior might break some levels that heavily rely on that.

For example, what if you made the Floating Sucker move in a wider circle for Turbo mode (not a good idea imo, just an example). That would likely break levels that use them as a 'buttstomping bridge' to cross pits.

JCF Member

DoubleGJ has disabled reputation

Jan 30, 2014, 06:30 AM
I don't think it'd break them, just make them much harder (which is desirable). I can't really think of any (logical) change to enemy behavior on Turbo that could break levels...

Two Games Joined releases:
Control / Splinter (twin singles)
|| Ballistic Bunny (EP)
||
Beyond (maxi-single)
|| Beyond: Remixed (remix EP)
|| Inner Monsters OST (mini-album)
||
Shadows (album)

JCF Member

Jan 30, 2014, 09:27 AM
There's nothing you can do to enemy behavior that would "break" a level. Typically you can beat any level in JJ2 without destroying a single enemy. You just have to be able to reach the end point, and right now there's nothing an enemy can do to prevent that.

JCF Member

Feb 1, 2014, 02:18 PM
For the original JJ2 SP episodes, yes. But some custom levels do rely on enemies to clear the level, like in that 'Floating Sucker buttstomp' example I pointed out some posts ago. While you'd have to get really zany with changing enemy behavior, you can definitely do something to break SP levels just by changing how enemies work.

JCF Éminence Grise

Feb 2, 2014, 12:34 AM
So hey, it's been a year since JJ2+ version 4.0 was released to the public! Actually a year and a few days, since I've been distracted and forgot to mention it on the anniversary proper. That's a year of typing /ready instead of running Get Me R. A year of shooting fireballs instead of pepper spray. A year of regenerating destruct scenery. A year of AngelScript.

How does it feel? And where do you think we'll be next year?

JCF Member

Superjazz is OFF DA CHARTSuperjazz is OFF DA CHARTSuperjazz is OFF DA CHART

Feb 2, 2014, 01:02 AM
It feels FUNtastic. Next year we will be playing EM's first AS SP episode!

JJnet Duel Tournament 3.0

JCF Member

DoubleGJ has disabled reputation

Feb 2, 2014, 01:11 AM
Feels good man. I've been putting some wonderful ideas into motion, making levels is fun again.

Two Games Joined releases:
Control / Splinter (twin singles)
|| Ballistic Bunny (EP)
||
Beyond (maxi-single)
|| Beyond: Remixed (remix EP)
|| Inner Monsters OST (mini-album)
||
Shadows (album)

JCF Member

Feb 2, 2014, 05:32 AM
JJ2 feels very lively with lots of servers online and active. And next year we'd hopefully have many custom levels released that utilize AngelScript in an Ozymandius-like fashion!
Old Mar 3, 2014, 06:59 AM
i:m
This message has been deleted by i:m. Reason: nvm

JCF Member

Mar 5, 2014, 10:23 AM
Got this log by opening JJ2+++ w/ Google for Windows 8...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazz2.log View Post
LOG: GRADE (Build 98-194W), Executable: C:\Users\***\Google Drive\***\***.exe
LOG: Jazz Jackrabbit 2 version JJ2+ Beta v4.3 (2013-10-30)

WIN: Running Microsoft Windows NT version 6.2, Build 9200
CPU: Intel Pentium II processor found
CPU: Processor Vendor ID 'GenuineIntel', Family 6, Model 10, Stepping 9
CPU: Processor Features BFCBFBFF (FPU, MMX)
VID: Checking for available video modes
VID: DirectDraw v6.3.9600.16384 found
VID: Video memory 40868Kb (1Kb Free), AGP memory 1802240Kb (1802240Kb Free)
VID: Direct3D found
NET: WinSock v2.2 "WinSock 2.0", Status: Running, Host: Puget-109574
SND: BASS Audio Library v2.4
SND: Galaxy Music System v5.0a
SND: Detected DirectSound driver
---- Starting execution: invoke MainProg()

8 macro files found in current directory
Reading animation library
VID: Resizing display (DIBSection)
VID: Resizing display (DIBSection)
total memory 32159632, largest block 32882192
Normally exiting program

---- Exiting program
SND: Closing sound system
NET: Closing network system
WIN: Writing registry
VID: Closing display (DIBSection)
WIN: Closing window

JCF Member

Grytolle is a forum legendGrytolle is a forum legendGrytolle is a forum legend

Mar 6, 2014, 10:59 AM
Feels great! The advantages have been huge and the new bugs have been very minor.

A combination of that one winning shield, bug fixes, customizable /cstop and whatever other amazing stuff you come up with will certainly make for an even greater release next time!

JCF Member

Superjazz is OFF DA CHARTSuperjazz is OFF DA CHARTSuperjazz is OFF DA CHART

Mar 6, 2014, 11:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grytolle View Post
Feels great! The advantages have been huge and the new bugs have been very minor.

A combination of that one winning shield, bug fixes, customizable /cstop and whatever other amazing stuff you come up with will certainly make for an even greater release next time!
Seconded.

JJnet Duel Tournament 3.0
Vegito

JCF Member

Vegito is an asset to this forum

Mar 6, 2014, 11:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivando View Post
Seconded.
Thirded!

JCF Member

Loon is doing well so far

Mar 6, 2014, 11:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegito View Post
Thirded!
Fourthed!
Anubis

JCF Member

Anubis is doing well so far

Mar 6, 2014, 11:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegito View Post
Thirded!
Forthed!

JCF Member

Lithium is an asset to this forum

Mar 6, 2014, 11:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grytolle View Post

Agreed!

JCF Member

king487 is doing well so far

Mar 6, 2014, 11:46 AM
Fifthed

Get MSN plus at: http://messenger-plus.en.softonic.com/

JCF Member

Treylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legend

Mar 6, 2014, 12:35 PM
I broke the combo.

I win: A crap-post medal.

Jazz Jackrabbit group: https://discord.gg/vZm95tQ