Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

JJ2+ v5.12 (last updated 20 August, 2023)

JCF Member

Jerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legend

Aug 10, 2013, 10:55 AM
Hey, that's an interesting one. Bidirectional weapon selection!

JCF Member

Treylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legend

Aug 11, 2013, 10:18 AM
So, here's a bunch of bugs and feature suggestions:

There's still a bug with coloured names. If you spectate with a coloured name in a non team gamemode (that enables it, such as battle, treasure, coop and sp mode), then it gets changed to a team one while still spectating, your coloured name will appear messed up once you unspectate. Once this is fixed though, I think all the team bugs with coloured names will be gone. I knew about this bug for years, but it requires certain circumstances for it to happen, so that it is not that common.

Plusbutterfly.j2l is also bugged. The boss doesn't work, no matter what difficulty you select. Infact, I even thought for a few months there was supposed to be no boss, until I questioned it and checked the level in JCS. Sometimes the rocket turtle doesn't appear at all, or start in the wall and fly out of the map completely forever. gg.

I still would like to see a feature that stops the person from cycling if the level doesn't have a start pos. It is annoying only to have your server crash just because someone forgot to put a start pos, which is a common thing levelmakers forget to put. Some public console message like "ERROR: Cannot cycle, no start position found!".

Likewise, stopping players from cycling to a cache level if no tileset is found would help too. I can understand it's not much relevant to the plus devs, because they don't host and play online much, though for a host that is looking through their cache folder to find a level, it helps a lot. I have to rehost constantly sometimes just because I don't have a tileset in the main folder. It would stop them from cycling and display a message like "ERROR: (tileset).j2t not found in main folder." At the moment, I have to go through the process of copying the j2l to my main folder, then checking the missing tileset in JCS and then having to paste the j2t into my main folder. Which is tedious (even moreso when the level is passworded).

There's a way to find what the music and level file is, but not the tileset. Being able to know what the tileset file is would allow me to extract it from my cache (so I can play it through a level cache, or even just wanting the level in my main folder) would be a lot easier, otherwise I have to do the tedious JCS cache method (as explained above).

I had suggested these features several months ago, but I probably didn't explain clearly enough why I wanted them.

Also, how do you make the Devan boss animations appear properly? It can effect the masking and break him if they don't appear right.

There are more bugs I know that you guys probably don't know about, but most of them are insignificant (mainly pallette and animation errors) and don't affect gameplay much, or are too cool to fix (I'm using it for a sp level, and it's very unlikely you'll make the bug happen by accident anyway).

Jazz Jackrabbit group: https://discord.gg/vZm95tQ

Last edited by Treylina; Aug 11, 2013 at 10:47 AM. Reason: paragraph, grammar fix

JCF Member

Jerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legend

Aug 12, 2013, 03:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treylina View Post
Plusbutterfly.j2l is also bugged. The boss doesn't work, no matter what difficulty you select. Infact, I even thought for a few months there was supposed to be no boss, until I questioned it and checked the level in JCS. Sometimes the rocket turtle doesn't appear at all, or start in the wall and fly out of the map completely forever. gg.
This sounds very much like the original, buggy way the Rocket Turtle used to 'work'. You didn't perhaps use Save & Run without first editing your JCS.ini with the Plus additions, right? Otherwise you've just solved your own bug report: the level gets corrupted if you save it in JCS without the right JCS.ini additions in place. Try a redownload of the level and play it from the HCL list, see if that solves it for you. If it does, read this to find out what you need to do if you want to edit the level in JCS (or if you just want to use Save & Run). If it still doesn't work, please report back.

Quote:
I still would like to see a feature that stops the person from cycling if the level doesn't have a start pos. It is annoying only to have your server crash just because someone forgot to put a start pos, which is a common thing levelmakers forget to put. Some public console message like "ERROR: Cannot cycle, no start position found!".
This would require JJ2 to load the new level without unloading the previous one, which is technically a bit hellish (though not impossible, I must say). I'd rather solve this by simply not crashing if there are no start positions. It's a lot simpler to do. JJ2 doesn't crash in single player either; I figure we could just make that behaviour the default in online games too.

Quote:
Likewise, stopping players from cycling to a cache level if no tileset is found would help too. I can understand it's not much relevant to the plus devs, because they don't host and play online much, though for a host that is looking through their cache folder to find a level, it helps a lot. I have to rehost constantly sometimes just because I don't have a tileset in the main folder. It would stop them from cycling and display a message like "ERROR: (tileset).j2t not found in main folder." At the moment, I have to go through the process of copying the j2l to my main folder, then checking the missing tileset in JCS and then having to paste the j2t into my main folder. Which is tedious (even moreso when the level is passworded).
I remember having had a chat about this with Violet and cooba; I figure we could include the cache folder when searching for j2l's, j2t's and j2as files, if the root didn't contain the required file.

Quote:
There's a way to find what the music and level file is, but not the tileset. Being able to know what the tileset file is would allow me to extract it from my cache (so I can play it through a level cache, or even just wanting the level in my main folder) would be a lot easier, otherwise I have to do the tedious JCS cache method (as explained above).
Hmm, a "current level details" command or so of some sort would do the trick. Maybe eventually. But if I'm not mistaken, don't we have standalone tools that do this already?

Quote:
There are more bugs I know that you guys probably don't know about, but most of them are insignificant (mainly pallette and animation errors) and don't affect gameplay much, or are too cool to fix (I'm using it for a sp level, and it's very unlikely you'll make the bug happen by accident anyway).
It's always good to report or tell about the bugs you know about, even if it's just for expressing the coolness of them... you're making me curious! There are already some bugs that don't get fixed because they are considered cool or useful, so don't worry- we won't break your level. But please share your knowledge!

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Aug 12, 2013, 03:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrythabest View Post
This sounds very much like the original, buggy way the Rocket Turtle used to 'work'. You didn't perhaps use Save & Run without first editing your JCS.ini with the Plus additions, right? Otherwise you've just solved your own bug report: the level gets corrupted if you save it in JCS without the right JCS.ini additions in place.
I don't believe that this is true.

Anyway, the rocket turtle problem you listed was fixed a while back, and IIRC resulted from something being hooked in the wrong place in TSF (but not in 1.23).

As for Devan boss animations, what are you trying that isn't working?

JCF Member

Grytolle is a forum legendGrytolle is a forum legendGrytolle is a forum legend

Aug 12, 2013, 05:08 AM
Quote:
This would require JJ2 to load the new level without unloading the previous one, which is technically a bit hellish (though not impossible, I must say). I'd rather solve this by simply not crashing if there are no start positions. It's a lot simpler to do. JJ2 doesn't crash in single player either; I figure we could just make that behaviour the default in online games too.
I'm pretty certain that 1.23+ xmas release had protection against this kind of crash (probably just a NOP or something similarly simple, knowing myself). You'd end up spawning at 0,0 instead, and there might have been an error echo

JCF Member

Aug 12, 2013, 02:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrythabest View Post
This sounds very much like the original, buggy way the Rocket Turtle used to 'work'. You didn't perhaps use Save & Run without first editing your JCS.ini with the Plus additions, right? Otherwise you've just solved your own bug report: the level gets corrupted if you save it in JCS without the right JCS.ini additions in place. Try a redownload of the level and play it from the HCL list, see if that solves it for you. If it does, read this to find out what you need to do if you want to edit the level in JCS (or if you just want to use Save & Run). If it still doesn't work, please report back.

I remember having had a chat about this with Violet and cooba; I figure we could include the cache folder when searching for j2l's, j2t's and j2as files, if the root didn't contain the required file.

Hmm, a "current level details" command or so of some sort would do the trick. Maybe eventually. But if I'm not mistaken, don't we have standalone tools that do this already?

It's always good to report or tell about the bugs you know about, even if it's just for expressing the coolness of them... you're making me curious! There are already some bugs that don't get fixed because they are considered cool or useful, so don't worry- we won't break your level. But please share your knowledge!
It's ok if you don't do it the way I suggested. As long it doesn't crash the game, it should be fine.

I'll point out a few animation errors. I'll post the level where I found interesting bugs sometime, when I polish it up. Anyway, the animation error that bugs me the most is Lori's crouch. It's supposed to look like this:

http://postimg.org/image/e80j5tyf7/

With the current bugged crouch sprite, it makes the hitbox bigger than it's supposed to. This animation error is likely caused because it uses the same amount of frames as the Jazz/Spaz crouch sprite, probably because the devs assumed it used the same amount, and had no time to fix it.

Here's another animation error, caused by the same frame assumption of Jazz/Spaz. 11 frames are used. It looks like they're all used, until you compare it in-game.

http://postimg.org/image/ut0rbxrgx/

A weird lori animation error is the framerate of her being idle increases after she gets the tripping sprite. There's another Lori animation error, but it's more complicated to explain (lets just say for now that it's to do with an idle sprite).

Another animation bug is that if you hold on capslock/run or jump while eva is kissing you, you won't get the transition animation (from frog to rabbit). This happens with all characters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet CLM View Post
I don't believe that this is true.

Anyway, the rocket turtle problem you listed was fixed a while back, and IIRC resulted from something being hooked in the wrong place in TSF (but not in 1.23).

As for Devan boss animations, what are you trying that isn't working?
This old thread explains it, in the middle of Devan jumping for a split second I get the "Chris is a redneq" sprite which looks funny and has no masking, which can cause him to fall out of the level.
http://www.jazz2online.com/jcf/showthread.php?t=13168

I re-downloaded the level and opened it from HCL and it still doesn't work. Does TSF hook things differently?

Last edited by Treylina; Aug 12, 2013 at 02:48 PM. Reason: images didnt view

JCF Éminence Grise

Aug 12, 2013, 02:59 PM
TSF has different addresses for almost everything. There are a handful of functions and things at the very beginning of the program that are in the exact same place in both versions, but after that, anything you want to change you need to find two different places to change it in. This is the main reason we don't support LK Avalon... nobody wants to change everything three times instead of two.

Oh, that Devan bug! Yeah, that's a silly one. Probably not too hard to track down, either.

JCF Member

Seren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to all

Aug 18, 2013, 05:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by szmol96 View Post
2. Frog Master game mode.
Rules
If you kill a player, he/she is morphed into frog and you own that player.
If you get killed by other players, you lose all your frogs and they are morphed back to normal and you get morphed into frog.
The goal is to own all other players as frogs.
I took some time to calculate things, and it appears that the estimated time necessary to complete a game of Frog Master increases exponentially with growth of the number of players.

It looks like this:
f(x)=2(x-1)-1
where f is the average amount of kills necessary to complete the game and x is the number of players.

For 5 players this is 15 kills. For 10 players it's 511. For a full server (32 players) it's 2'147'483'647 (over 2 billion 147 million) kills. If on such a server a kill is made once every second, the game will take about 68 years.

I am an official JJ2+ programmer and this has been an official JJ2+ statement.

Last edited by Sir Ementaler; Aug 18, 2013 at 05:57 AM.
Toni_

JCF Member

Toni_ is doing well so far

Aug 18, 2013, 06:27 AM
I found something strange. While playing a game on City of the Sn00ze, I realized something is not included in /ready function. I was down, at seeker PU, where Ambient Light is on. I typed /ready, and instead of resetting ambient lighting, like it should be at bases, it kept being dark like under. Try doing it, and you will see what I mean.

JCF Member

Aug 18, 2013, 10:56 AM
Ooh, that makes sense. The warping it does for you completely dodges the Set Light events you would come across if you would move to the base manually. The only solution to this is to add Set Light events to each base, so as to force the light to a specific intensity when you are in that area.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 01:51 PM
PurpleJazz
This message has been deleted by PurpleJazz.
Toni_

JCF Member

Toni_ is doing well so far

Aug 19, 2013, 12:20 PM
Well, no solution for it then. Not sure if Get Me R had solution for it.

But for this, GMR had a solution - if you jump at spring, and type /ready while flying, you will jump from the base, too. In GMR you would freeze at the spring. Didn't try if this happens if you are in sucker tube, but in version of GMR that had this error it happened, too. I would just fly off the base.

JCF Member

Aug 19, 2013, 02:18 PM
You're right that you will jump off the base if you come from a spring or sucker tube. In fact it even happens if you issue the command while running/jumping/whatever. This is because /ready does not reset your speed to 0. That's one to fix But luckily it's an easy fix. Added it to the list, thanks for reporting!

JCF Member

szmol96 is doing well so far

Aug 20, 2013, 04:23 AM
I found something strange in AS. While I was testing my Onslaught script, I used "if (p.teamRed == true)" and "if (p.teamRed == false)" to test for the CURRENT PLAYER's team, but it tests for PLAYER 1's team. Though, i found a solution for this problem. I simply used "if (jjLocalPlayers[1].teamRed == true)" and "if (jjLocalPlayers[1].teamRed == false)", and it worked. See for yourself in my level, just change "jjLocalPlayers[1]" to "p".

JCF Member

Seren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to all

Aug 20, 2013, 04:42 AM
rtfm;
Quote:
Originally Posted by plus-angelscript.html View Post
Moreover, while onMain() fires once per gametick, onPlayer() fires once per local player per gametick, updating the referent of jjP/p each time. In other, non-player specific functions, jjP/p's referent may be unpredictable and should not be relied upon unless there is only one local player at all.
Ignore the "unless there is only one local player at all" though, p should actually be only used in onPlayer(), onPlayerTimerEnd() and onFunction#(), and, if not a bad design decision, would be a function parameter of those.

Last edited by Sir Ementaler; Aug 20, 2013 at 04:53 AM.

JCF Member

szmol96 is doing well so far

Aug 26, 2013, 02:04 PM
Ah, I see...

JCF Member

Sep 4, 2013, 05:30 PM
A suggestion for when you have plusonly off...

Turn off latestversiononly, joiners spectate and all other non-backwards compatible plus features off automatically that cause vanilla JJ2 users unable to join (just like when scripted features are turned off). It was annoying trying to test someone if a level worked with vanilla, only to find out they couldn't join because of joiners spectate (which I forgot I left on, even though plusonly was off). It's also more intuitive and convenient.

MilloCz

JCF Member

MilloCz is doing well so far

Sep 5, 2013, 05:23 AM
TNT's no longer destroy destructable blocks? They don't even destroy destructable blocks that can be destructed only by TNT ?
This makes several maps unplayable, such as Christmas level 1.

JCF Member

Sep 5, 2013, 08:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilloCz View Post
TNT's no longer destroy destructable blocks? They don't even destroy destructable blocks that can be destructed only by TNT ?
This makes several maps unplayable, such as Christmas level 1.
It's been reported several times. SE wrote a script that makes it work for the current version of plus.

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Sep 5, 2013, 02:41 PM
Sounds important enough to me to be worth a hotfix, if that's possible...
Old Sep 5, 2013, 03:21 PM
cooba
This message has been deleted by cooba. Reason: shhh

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Sep 5, 2013, 03:44 PM
That's what I meant with a hotfix, one that just fixes this one, important bug, while other changes are kept for a major release.

JCF Éminence Grise

Sep 5, 2013, 04:10 PM
laser precision patching

Try changing byte 0x87423 in plus.dll from 0x30 to 0x2C.

JCF Member

L853RCHU is notorious for his worthless posts

Sep 6, 2013, 01:04 AM
Make a angelscript command so you can change bosses health and sprite and color scheme etc. and also make an angelscript command so you can instakill someone or heal them if they do something.

JCF Member

Sep 6, 2013, 05:36 AM
Or you can rtfm.

Administrator

Sep 6, 2013, 07:46 AM
Quote:
Try changing byte 0x87423 in plus.dll from 0x30 to 0x2C.
If it's that simple, why not just update the plus.dll in the download hosted here?

JCF Éminence Grise

Sep 6, 2013, 09:47 AM
Probably will, but was hoping for someone to first confirm that it fixed the problem for them, since I only checked it pretty cursorily.

JCF Member

French is doing well so far

Sep 6, 2013, 11:04 AM
OK. So for myself, it does fix the problem.

JCF Member

Sep 6, 2013, 11:08 AM
Will cheating protection work against those using flying cheats? Also, some cheating noobs went back to vanilla JJ2 just so they can abuse the nowall bug again. Maybe it could automatically kick/ban them if a nowall cheater reaches a wall. It really should be backwards compatible.

JCF Éminence Grise

Sep 6, 2013, 11:14 AM
Trey: If you don't want someone to abuse the nowall bug through vanilla, just turn on PlusOnly. :P Any non-manual solution is going to run into issues with perfectly legitimate reasons to be inside walls, be they wallclimbing or warps or who knows what.

JCF Member

Sep 6, 2013, 11:28 AM
Quote:
Trey: If you don't want someone to abuse the nowall bug through vanilla, just turn on PlusOnly. :P Any non-manual solution is going to run into issues with perfectly legitimate reasons to be inside walls, be they wallclimbing or warps or who knows what.
Well, the server it occurs on is supposed (and intentionally) to be available for vanilla users too. It's not my server. I wasn't thinking about wallclimbing, more like flying inside a wall.

JCF Éminence Grise

Sep 6, 2013, 11:32 AM
All right, then... edit the level to have coin warps without targets in the walls. Vanilla crashes when it hits a warp without a target, and coin warps are detected even while jjnowall is on.

JCF Member

Sep 6, 2013, 12:03 PM
Quote:
All right, then... edit the level to have coin warps without targets in the walls. Vanilla crashes when it hits a warp without a target, and coin warps are detected even while jjnowall is on.
Uhh, the idea looks good on paper until:
1. It would take a lot of editing levels.
2. At some point when you place so many, events stop working. (I got told they had to remove extra warps in levels in the past because it wouldn't work properly otherwise).

JCF Éminence Grise

Sep 6, 2013, 04:36 PM
Hmm, that's true. Clients don't directly report to servers "hey, I'm flying!", but they do report their current animation, from which flying can kind of be inferred if you assume that people won't be copter-earing while inside of walls. It might work.

EDIT: Oh, but what about trigger scenery and the like? Just because you the server think a tile is masked, doesn't mean the client does.

Last edited by Violet CLM; Sep 7, 2013 at 03:00 AM.

JCF Member

Sep 12, 2013, 03:44 PM
I'm going to throw a few simple JCS-able plus feature ideas;
1. Assign ammo type to a gun barrel. Yeah, giving a selection of current ammo only to host is an issue that could be fixed. Though it's likely not as easy to fix.
2. Sync options to swinging vines.
3. A "Down" parameter on one ways that allows you to go down if you press down. (technically it then becomes a two-way, but who cares). Probably the most complex to implement.

JCF Éminence Grise

Sep 12, 2013, 03:58 PM
Quote:
1. Assign ammo type to a gun barrel.
What's wrong with ExtraEvent in crates?
Quote:
3. A "Down" parameter on one ways that allows you to go down if you press down. (technically it then becomes a two-way, but who cares). Probably the most complex to implement.
Oh, that's a cute idea! It would probably take some getting used to, but lots of things do. I'll think about it.

JCF Member

minmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesome

Sep 12, 2013, 05:34 PM
Quote:
This sounds redundant with vines. I don't think it's worth it.

JCF Member

Sep 12, 2013, 05:37 PM
Quote:
What's wrong with ExtraEvent in crates?
There's nothing wrong with it, though I prefer gun barrels for MP, since they encourage the player to slow down a bit more. (I like high risk, high return in level design if it's not too percise).

Quote:
Originally Posted by minmay View Post
This sounds redundant with vines. I don't think it's worth it.
Lol I forgot about vines when I wrote that. I stay up too late.

JCF Member

DoubleGJ has disabled reputation

Sep 13, 2013, 12:22 AM
Vines don't work like platforms since you hang from them. It wouldn't be completely identical.

The concept reminds me of Contra, and it works very well there. In these games, to fall off such a platform, you need to press down and then jump, which in JJ2 executes a special move. As such, I wonder what would be a good way to control this falling down without being accidental too often. Simply holding down seems like a too easy way for me - one might want to just duck from a projectile or to look down, for example. Same with down+jump. Then again, making it so that you have to hold down for, say, 2 seconds, it could be too time consuming and thus frustrating. In conclusion, I don't think there's a convenient way out with this concept, but maybe I'm not thinking hard enough.

Two Games Joined releases:
Control / Splinter (twin singles)
|| Ballistic Bunny (EP)
||
Beyond (maxi-single)
|| Beyond: Remixed (remix EP)
|| Inner Monsters OST (mini-album)
||
Shadows (album)

JCF Éminence Grise

Sep 13, 2013, 04:08 AM
I think if you want to duck from a projectile, falling through the floor is going to be an even more efficient way of dodging. And then I wrote "duck" and "dodg[e]" in the same sentence and my mind is going in a different direction. Hmm.

We're trying for a September release, so the chances of any elaborate new suggestion getting implemented in the next version are currently decreasing by the day. Wish us luck ~<3~

JCF Member

Sep 13, 2013, 10:16 AM
When it's late I tend not to think much about backing up my points, though the mechanics of a platform and a vine are quite different. Unlike vines, you can gain momentum and run faster on a platform. I don't consider it a priority to work on, as there are other plus features (character ability value editing for scripts) and bugfixes (online coop, birds and sp) I'd rather much see. "We're trying for a September release" isn't that this month? Lol. Anyway, good luck.

JCF Member

XxMoNsTeRXM is doing well so far

Sep 14, 2013, 06:01 AM
Violet can you add more boss musics in jj2+? If you can it would be nice, because the musics that we currently have in jj2 are just 2, maybe 10 musics would be enough.