Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

JJ2+ v5.12 (last updated 20 August, 2023)

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Apr 8, 2015, 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a Random User View Post
Also I noticed one bug. If you are playing Single Player, then use jjmorph to morph to frog or bird, and go to warp - you wont warp (just like before). But, if you then go away from the warp and use jjmorph again to morph to Jazz/Spaz/Lori, you will warp automatically, even tho you are not in the warp at that time.
This has always been the case in JJ2.

Stijn is correct in his reiteration of my sentiments. Nobody is saying in here that alerts are the holy way of the future and to speak against them is blasphemy. I'm just saying that right now, the level of someone's displeasure with them is inversely correlated with how long that person's been playing with them, and it'd be good to take a few days and see if that trend continues.

JCF Member

Toni_ is doing well so far

Apr 9, 2015, 06:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stijn View Post
I understand the sentiment, but besides the assertion that it is "easy to do" (which is never a wise thing to say about a software project you don't know the inner workings of), Violet never said anything to the contrary. He just asked everyone to give it a chance and see if you still think it's annoying after playing with it for a short while. Which I think is perfectly reasonable, as the first reaction to change is usually annoyance just because it's different, regardless of whether it's actually worse.

Which it could be! But let's see if maybe it's just the change everyone needs to adjust to. If a lot of people still think it's annoying after that, I'm sure the team will consider making changes.
There are many more differences and changes that I like, but this one is a pain in my eyes. And I am sorry if I offended someone with ''easy to do'' but, having the old code, and the new one, I don't see how hard could it be.

@Violet
I understand that you all put effort into this, and would like those changes to be available, but this is not CoD (even there, text is much smaller, on a higher resolution and isn't as distracting as here). For example, latest update in CS:GO ruined AWP (sniper) and it's now so hard to play with it (moving, noscoping, fast zooming etc.). And that is why most of professional teams decided not to play with AWP for some time because they need to train with it a lot. I'm saying this because I don't think people in JJ2 who are semi-active (including me, and like 80% of JJ2 players) would like to spend a lot of time to get used to this new feature. Keep in mind that it's not only me. Someone once said ''they're removing too much of classic, and this game isn't what it used to be''. I somewhat agree with that, but on the other hand everything that is good, should be implemented. Keep working, but listen to the community.

JCF Member

Jelly Jam is doing well so far

Apr 9, 2015, 07:16 AM
All of the updates are fine by me.
But

WTH is the point of this?

Also see this
http://www.jazzjackrabbit.net/index....=descr&id=3941
Look closely to the second pic, and read the comment

Last edited by Jelly Jam; Apr 9, 2015 at 07:28 AM.

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Apr 9, 2015, 09:45 AM
We'll probably do this in the next update, at the very least:
Quote:
(...) the start/stop countdown. I think it would be better if it was like the countdown in the race gamemode.

JCF Member

Treylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legend

Apr 9, 2015, 10:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Jam View Post
But
-image-
It's the new MP ending sprites. Your character smiles when they win, and don't when vice versa.

I will make proper sprites for them sometime (no guaranteed date, this is a fairly ambitious job) since the menu ones clearly aren't made with the sprite pallette in mind, leading to scratchiness and characters looking darker than they are meant to be.

I was going to tweak the pallette swapping of them to make them more accurate, but then was like "What's the point if I can just draw some myself?".

Jazz Jackrabbit group: https://discord.gg/vZm95tQ

JCF Éminence Grise

Apr 9, 2015, 10:34 AM
Just a Random User: You are arguing against points that nobody is making.

JCF Member

Vegito is an asset to this forum

Apr 9, 2015, 10:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Jam View Post
All of the updates are fine by me.
But

I love this. The endscreen is a lot more fun instead of just blackness now.
Anyway, the announcements aren't that distracting to me. It takes some getting used to like Violet pointed out, but let's just see how it is in a couple of weeks and see if they are still annoying then. I would however still ask for a countdown (/cstop, /cstart) which is adjustable. Same for making ammo from crates and barrels despawn. I will keep requesting that

I have one question: why is it that the Jazz2 menu requires so much more CPU? When I join a server my CPU goes back to normal (around 3-5%) but in the Jazz2 menu I hit 12-15%. Other PC's with a worse CPU even reach 30% CPU usage in the menu.

JCF Member

Superjazz is OFF DA CHARTSuperjazz is OFF DA CHARTSuperjazz is OFF DA CHART

Apr 9, 2015, 11:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegito View Post
I would however still ask for a countdown (/cstop, /cstart) which is adjustable. Same for making ammo from crates and barrels despawn. I will keep requesting that
These are all doable with the scripting tools that v5.0 offers, and they are already worked on (by Camel Staff )

JCF Member

SAMI is doing well so far

Apr 9, 2015, 12:20 PM
The bigtexts are distracting. But not always. Only thing it needs is to remove the bigtext notification of killing. Its ok if the Captured/lost the flag notification appears. But when playing- getting this for killing makes it hard to see opponents and distracts a lot. So my suggestion is to remove the kill notification.

JCF Member

Talec is doing well so far

Apr 11, 2015, 09:17 AM
[s]I'm on Windows 7 and copied in the new version, but am getting a generic "Jazz Jackrabbit 2 has stopped working." error+crash on startup

I then tried using the Plusifier.exe but it didn't help.[/s]

EDIT: Okay, apparently none of my various JJ2 installs work. Will report later.

EDIT2: and then I forgot to report back. Oh well, it's still "later".
I dunno what the deal was, but rebooting fixed it, so ignore this post please :V

Last edited by Talec; Apr 16, 2015 at 07:58 AM.

JCF Member

szmol96 is doing well so far

Apr 14, 2015, 08:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegito View Post
I have one question: why is it that the Jazz2 menu requires so much more CPU? When I join a server my CPU goes back to normal (around 3-5%) but in the Jazz2 menu I hit 12-15%. Other PC's with a worse CPU even reach 30% CPU usage in the menu.
I've noticed that too, although Plus is keeping my CPU usage on 100%. Suprisingly, it doesn't affect performance.

Also is it natural of jjGenerateSettableTileArea to crash the game?

EDIT: My bad. The last two parameters were width and height, not right and bottom sides of the area.

Last edited by szmol96; Apr 14, 2015 at 09:36 AM.

JCF Member

Primpy is an asset to this forumPrimpy is an asset to this forum

Apr 14, 2015, 11:40 PM
(Not sure if this is the right thread)
Since I installed the last JJ2+ version, my game uses Keyboard 2 instead of Keyboard 1. This really bothers me. What can I do to stop this?

"Floppy ears and a big butt?" - Slaz

JCF Member

XxMoNsTeRXM is doing well so far

Apr 15, 2015, 12:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primpy View Post
(Not sure if this is the right thread)
Since I installed the last JJ2+ version, my game uses Keyboard 2 instead of Keyboard 1. This really bothers me. What can I do to stop this?
Have you checked the controls, maybe keyboard 1 is using the keyboard's 2 controls?

JCF Member

Primpy is an asset to this forumPrimpy is an asset to this forum

Apr 15, 2015, 12:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxMoNsTeRXM View Post
Have you checked the controls, maybe keyboard 1 is using the keyboard's 2 controls?
Yes, but that was not the problem. The first time I played the new version of JJ2+ nothing really changed (controls), but after a while they just got switched for no reason. I had to change the Keyboard 2 controls, unfortunately.

"Floppy ears and a big butt?" - Slaz

JCF Member

SAMI is doing well so far

Apr 15, 2015, 09:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primpy View Post
Yes, but that was not the problem. The first time I played the new version of JJ2+ nothing really changed (controls), but after a while they just got switched for no reason. I had to change the Keyboard 2 controls, unfortunately.
Having the same problem even before 5.0. Looks like something got F**cked up in registry files. Another thing constantly happening was: When I play SP and randomly use some cheats [Notably JJcolor] I cant spam fire even if I keep pressing fire. It just shoots like when holding fire button without fast fires. To get this fixed I had to open older JJ2 plus version and close it which fixed it for a while. But it starts again. Can't find the exact reason of why this is happening.

JCF Member

GoldRabbit is an asset to this forumGoldRabbit is an asset to this forum

Apr 20, 2015, 06:29 AM
Sorry if it's been asked before, but what are these/where are they used/are they even used?

because everybody plays the game this way

saints especially

JCF Member

Seren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to all

Apr 20, 2015, 06:47 AM
Contents of plus.j2a are explained in the second part of the ANIM::Set list in the AngelScript readme (Violet why can't I link to specific PLUS_ constants). The animations you brought up are all unused by the game itself but can be loaded by scripts - although usage of the first one is discouraged due to it being a work in progress and subject to change, as mentioned in the readme; the other two were included as commonly occurring tiles that you may find useful to have available without having to edit a tileset, similarly to why texture constants were added, and also because they happen to well correspond to JCS events Fire and Lava, even though, as I said, neither of those events has any implemented logic to load and display them and I don't know of any plans to do so.

I am an official JJ2+ programmer and this has been an official JJ2+ statement.

JCF Member

ShakerNL is an asset to this forumShakerNL is an asset to this forum

Apr 22, 2015, 07:40 AM
Hello fellow Jazzers!

First of all, I would like to thank the dev team for this awesome plus 5.0 release. And also for the quick fix for Windows XP users.

I would like to point out some (minor) glitches that I've found while playing JJ2. (sorry if they've already been pointed out). They may be not important at all, but I wanted to note them down anyway.

1. Since servers don't always relist anymore after using certain commands, I saw CD3 with 6/16 players. When trying to join, I got an "Network Error: server is full" message. It appears that the server was full (6/6) on list2, but not full (6/16) on list1. The same counts for server names as well.

2. The JJ2 window freezes when moving the chatlogger window. Although this is something minor and unimportant, but it could get annoying if the server (player 1) needs to move his chatlogger window while someone is playing a match or whatsoever.

3. Level names are invisible most of the times. I just see a blank field where the level name should be. However, the level name is visible on the top of the JJ2 window, after clicking it first. But will remain invisible from the F9 list.

It's also not showing up in the chatlogger:
Code:
**Current level: "" - ab17ctf02.j2l
(I don't know if anyone else has this issue as well, besides Naps.)

4. Players can move over the top of levels at position -1. This can be very annoying, since people can use this glitch to cheat on levels. In example: getting better ranks at tests by skipping levels. (If this can be fixed with a mutator or anything, I'd like to know, else I have to edit about 130 levels.)

5. I used to keep wallclimbing enabled and saved it like that in plus.ini. This isn't possible with /quirks. Every time when I start JJ2, I have to activate quirks mode manually, because it won't be saved in plus.ini. It would also be cool if mutator settings could be saved that way.

6. When spaz jumps and buttstomps, but double jumps right after buttstomping, it doesn't make the double jump sound anymore. (I don't care if this won't be fixed, since it's not important, but just wanted to point it out.)

Anyway, I hope this information is useful for developers. Most glitches are probably not important enough to look at, but I would be happy if someone could do something about #4 though.

JCF Member

Seren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to all

Apr 22, 2015, 08:09 AM
Thanks for the reports. Most of them we intend to fix (and most of those we already knew of) so I'd just like to address some misconceptions in your post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakerNL View Post
1. Since servers don't always relist anymore after using certain commands, I saw CD3 with 6/16 players. When trying to join, I got an "Network Error: server is full" message. It appears that the server was full (6/6) on list2, but not full (6/16) on list1. The same counts for server names as well.
This has to be discussed with Nimrod and not us. For all I know, the state of things is that Nimrod had promised to update to new level list software after 5.0 is released but never actually did so. Not necessarily out of bad will, the most likely case is that nobody nudged him about it, because zepect, who was the main originator of list software changes and kept in touch with list administrators, became inactive before the 5.0 release. If you wish to receive valid server list information, list2 is currently the best choice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakerNL
5. I used to keep wallclimbing enabled and saved it like that in plus.ini. This isn't possible with /quirks. Every time when I start JJ2, I have to activate quirks mode manually, because it won't be saved in plus.ini.
That's true, and the reasoning behind it is that quirks mode is a hindrance in more circumstances than it's not. A solution I'd see would be storing a list of server addresses that quirks should be enabled on in plus.ini, or letting servers select the default setting for the player the moment they join, because the setting does seem very server-specific.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakerNL
6. When spaz jumps and buttstomps, but double jumps right after buttstomping, it doesn't make the double jump sound anymore. (I don't care if this won't be fixed, since it's not important, but just wanted to point it out.)
If you mean double jump during initializing buttstomp, from what I recall it's no longer possible - not just the sound but the jump as a whole. There was no use for it and it was an annoying way to unintentionally lose the possibility of double jump - which, on the other hand, could be useful in certain conditions, such as when the buttstomp ends by hitting a destructible object and requires a further double jump. We see it as an improvement more than anything.

I am an official JJ2+ programmer and this has been an official JJ2+ statement.

JCF Éminence Grise

Apr 22, 2015, 11:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakerNL View Post
It would also be cool if mutator settings could be saved that way.
They can. Check the Mutators part of the changelog.

JCF Member

Nimrod has disabled reputation

Apr 25, 2015, 05:16 AM
Got a message from Gry on Facebook saying we need to push a new update to the List Server to support some of the new JJ2+ stuff. Can someone send it over and I'll push it live?

Providing it doesn't break the vanilla jj2 as well of course, don't want it breaking for people who just got the game out the box

JCF Member

Slaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHART

Apr 25, 2015, 07:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrod View Post
Got a message from Gry on Facebook saying we need to push a new update to the List Server to support some of the new JJ2+ stuff. Can someone send it over and I'll push it live?
Does this mean the PHP GIP script will also come back from the internetty grave?

JCF Member

shaney is an asset to this forumshaney is an asset to this forum

May 1, 2015, 12:35 PM
what i would wanna see in jj2 is some thing called WMDCTF Water mirrord CTF a ctf level one with normal tile set the one below it with water mirrord look alike but really mirrord upside down with the bases on top of eacht other with in the bases a no fire zone

im still alive yeah

JCF Éminence Grise

May 1, 2015, 06:26 PM
Okay. So make that level.

JCF Member

Jelly Jam is doing well so far

May 2, 2015, 05:24 AM
Violet, i think he's looking for the angelscript thread ;o
GNUusiastic

JCF Member

GNUusiastic is doing well so far

May 3, 2015, 12:02 PM
Is there a way to play Jazz Jackrabbit 2+ in Linux? Does all the features will work on this operating system?

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

May 3, 2015, 12:05 PM
It runs fine on Wine.

JCF Member

May 30, 2015, 01:19 AM
Frogs leaving sprites behind is a bit annoying.

JCF Member

Treylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legend

May 30, 2015, 10:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by szmol96 View Post
Frogs leaving sprites behind is a bit annoying.
What do you mean? Example?

Jazz Jackrabbit group: https://discord.gg/vZm95tQ

JCF Éminence Grise

May 30, 2015, 11:42 AM
IIRC when /corpsesdropammo is on, morphing into a frog makes the server think you died and a bunch of ammo pickups are created accordingly, despite your not in fact losing your ammo to the morphing process.

JCF Member

Jun 2, 2015, 07:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treylina View Post
What do you mean? Example?
For example, in the case of Jazz, it's him morphing into frog. In the case of Spaz, it's a dead Spaz. Same goes for Lori. These cannot be picked up and only other players can see you dropping them.

JCF Member

Jun 14, 2015, 11:31 AM
I don't know if it's been mentioned before, but mouse aiming is buggy when max resolution is smaller than 640x480.

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Jun 14, 2015, 12:04 PM
Could you explain how it's buggy? Makes it easier to find out what the problem is.

JCF Member

Jun 14, 2015, 12:17 PM
Uh...It seems like the game does not compare mouse position to the player, but to some other point, it depends on the resolution.

JCF Éminence Grise

Jun 14, 2015, 12:23 PM
Not mentioned in here, no, but a prospective fix for it exists for 5.1.

JCF Member

XxMoNsTeRXM is doing well so far

Jun 15, 2015, 01:54 AM
Also there's a glitch with "#", you have to type it twice to display in chat.

JCF Member

Kurisuchan_79 is doing well so far

Jul 10, 2015, 08:09 PM
VioletCLM, you are magic!

JCF Member

Kurisuchan_79 is doing well so far

Jul 10, 2015, 08:11 PM
please teach me to make this black & white circle!
only i know put the .mp3 in the .j2as file :/

http://i.imgur.com/n4dLlTx.png

JCF Éminence Grise

Jul 10, 2015, 09:38 PM
Really, you should be asking that in the AngelScript help thread, but...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurisuchan_79 View Post
VioletCLM, you are magic!
...how can I resist?

JJ2+ ships with a whole bunch of sprite modes, used for drawing sprites with different colors and/or transparencies. The easiest way to try them out is a simple script like this:
Code:
void onLevelBegin() {
	jjLocalPlayers[0].spriteMode = SPRITE::NEONGLOW;
}
Probably more often, though, you want to be drawing sprites that are not the player's, so you want one of the many sprite-drawing functions. For example:
Code:
void onPlayer(jjPLAYER@ play) {
	jjDrawSprite(
		play.xPos + 30, //horizontal position to draw at, relative to the top left corner of the level (not the screen)
		play.yPos, //vertical position to draw at
		ANIM::AMMO, //animation set to find the desired frame from
		18, //number of the desired animation within the animation set, zero-indexed
		0, //number of the desired frame within the animation, zero-indexed 
		SPRITE::FLIPNONE, //direction (not flipped horizontally OR vertically)
		SPRITE::TINTED, //a sprite mode
		jjGameTicks //a parameter used by the sprite mode, in this case, which color (index in the palette) to use for tinting the sprite
	);
}
There are a lot of different functions for drawing stuff to the screen, and a lot of sprite modes to use while doing so, and the best way to familiarize yourself with them all is to experiment. Also to look at the example levels, and the snippets, various other scripts. Ideally a mixture of both.

The "black & white circle" specifically shouldn't look like that: you're viewing it in 8-bit color, which has a hard time displaying several of the sprite modes. (In that screenshot it kind of comes out like thresholding, but there's not actually a built-in way to do that, sorry.) It's supposed to be (and is, in 16-bit color) a negative image effect, which you can get by drawing all-white pixels with mode SPRITE::DIFFERENCE.

JCF Member

PrinceOthman is doing well so far

Aug 3, 2015, 06:24 PM
Thumbs up

I love this! Keep up the good work guys! Maybe one day you guys can make the game modes be in the actual menu and make more official and stuff, would be sick!