Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » JCS & Scripting

Wind Left problem

JCF Member

Sean is a forum legendSean is a forum legend

Nov 1, 2010, 06:14 PM
Wind Left problem

I am having a problem with JCS. When I input the Wind Left event, it functions as Wind Right. What's wrong?

JCF Member

EvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHART

Nov 1, 2010, 06:24 PM
Use negative numbers if you want wind to go left. The two events are nearly identical (either one can blow you in either direction).

The ONLY difference between the two events (that I know of) is that Wind Left affects bubbles, while Wind Right does not.

JCF Member

Sean is a forum legendSean is a forum legend

Nov 1, 2010, 07:50 PM
Heh, interesting. I don't call myself a hopeless noob for no reason :P

JCF Member

Dermo should make better posts

Nov 1, 2010, 11:17 PM
Thank you EvilMike. I honestly could never figure this one out -_-

(now to fix that level)

Do you like Stijn? Take my poll!

Windows is not a virus. A virus is small and efficient...

Note to Stijn: how am i even getting away with this

JCF Member

Seren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to all

Nov 1, 2010, 11:59 PM
I wasn't testing winds very much, but there are surely more differences. I noticed that Wind Left is somehow able to make player travel through a wall, while Wind Right with exactly the same parameter cause player to get stuck next to it. Some time after joining J2O I sent a level which was showing this (I think I used parameter 32), but later I deleted it because I decided there's no point in it. Mike or some other J2O admin can eventually find it, upload somewhere and link it here.

I am an official JJ2+ programmer and this has been an official JJ2+ statement.
sonicnathan 1

JCF Member

sonicnathan 1 is doing well so far

Nov 2, 2010, 11:13 AM
Hmm interesting. I haven't used wind yet but I didn't know that. Great help.
Episode 4: Probably never

<a href="http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/info.php?levelID=4882"> Deckstar V3</a>
<a href="http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/info.php?levelID=5408">Colonial Fix</a>
Jazz 1 Fanolint: 98%

<a href="http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/info.php?levelID=5407">Finished secret levels</a>

JCF Member

EvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHART

Nov 2, 2010, 02:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ementaler View Post
Some time after joining J2O I sent a level which was showing this (I think I used parameter 32), but later I deleted it because I decided there's no point in it. Mike or some other J2O admin can eventually find it, upload somewhere and link it here.
I can only find 7 uploads you have made to J2O, and none of them have been deleted. Did you use a different account?

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Nov 2, 2010, 03:22 PM
Can't find it either. It's possible that some other admin didn't see a point in it either and hard-deleted it (I do this sometimes but I can't remember removing anything from Emmentaler).

It could be that it was somehow lost back when OSHS screwed up and we lost about a week of uploads(?)

JCF Member

Seren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to all

Nov 3, 2010, 12:15 AM
Okay, no problem, I'll search for it on my hard drive and if it's not there I'll try to make it again, it wasn't anything big nor complicated.

JCF Member

Nov 4, 2010, 03:20 AM
Sorry it took so long, but this level should show what I mean.

JCF Member

Jan 18, 2012, 12:54 PM
While I was working on a concept level, I noticed some more slight differences. I'm not sure if any of them can be considered useful but I post them just so they can be found somewhere. I will mainly describe Wind Left properties as the Wind Right ones are what most of us are used to.
  • When the Speed parameter is set to 0, winds act as expected, that is, Wind Right goes right and Wind Left goes left.
  • When a player is stuck inside of a Wind Left masked tile, it takes him in the same direction it normally does, while Wind Right makes him travel in the opposite direction with little speed.
  • A solid tile with Wind Left on it is, in normal conditions, impossible to wallclimb into.
  • Wind Left works similarly to a One Way event when a player has already entered it or touches it from left or right, but jumps inside of masked tiles don't take you so high.
  • A fully masked block with Wind Left on it can be entered from left only if Speed parameter is larger than 0. Otherwise it can only sometimes give you an additional jump.
  • The same block can always be entered from right but can't be used to travel left unless there is an additional Wind Left (with Speed equal to or smaller than 0) one tile right of it.
  • The block can also be entered from below in case there's a masked One Way tile under it, or if you're using a flying carrot, an airboard or are a bird.
  • If there's enough unmasked space under your feet while you're in a masked Wind Left tile, you fall (unless wind makes you travel fast enough to skip the gap).