Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » JCS & Scripting

What would you like to see in a brand new JJ2 level editor?

SPAZ18

JCF Member

SPAZ18 is doing well so far

Aug 20, 2006, 03:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neobeo
It's just that one scrollbar that annoys me. The one in the tileset box. If your mouse accidentally leaves the scrollbar the combobox disappears.
Yes, I really hate it when that happens. I scroll through all the tilesets and if the cursor goes away from the box the stupid thing disappears and I have to START AT THE TOP AGAIN! It's especially annoying when you have like 100+ Tilesets.

Another thing I hate is when in the layer box, I'm using "B" to highlight the tiles I wanna copy and I have to use the scrollbars to highlight more but if my mouse cursor goes into the "Parallax View" box or away from the scrollbars the highlighter is gone and I have to do ALL THAT AGAIN!

30% COMPLETE

ACTION STATION v2 - OUT NOW!

SP4ZZ3R on servers

My Uploads

Last edited by SPAZ18; Aug 20, 2006 at 03:19 AM.

JCF Member

Jerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legend

Aug 20, 2006, 04:34 AM
yeah that scrollbar is, indeed, sucky. I like windows XP's second menu column better

the selecting with B stuff isn't a problem for me, since I can use my mouse's scrollwheel to scroll vertically and if I press the wheel it turns into a horizontal scrollwheel.. that's caused by a program that came with the mouse it's great! horizontal scrollwheel is really useful

Last edited by Jerrythabest; Aug 20, 2006 at 10:01 AM.
SPAZ18

JCF Member

SPAZ18 is doing well so far

Aug 20, 2006, 04:54 AM
Scroll wheels are great for scrolling vertically but it's the problem I have doing it Horizontally. I have to use the scroll bar at the bottom to move left & right in the Layers section.

30% COMPLETE

ACTION STATION v2 - OUT NOW!

SP4ZZ3R on servers

My Uploads

JCF Member

FQuist is an asset to this forumFQuist is an asset to this forum

Aug 20, 2006, 07:56 AM
  • Test level in multiplayer mode
  • Helpful warnings when user tries to save. Things like "Level does not contain proper start positions", "Warp on tile x,y would get player stuck", "No corresponding Warp Target for warp ID x", "Flipped animated tile at x,y could crash game", "No next level setting specified". User should be able to ignore warnings or turn off warnings entirely.
  • Find-as-you-type event search, a la Google Suggest. "W"->results: Warp, Warp target, Witch etc
  • Sort events list by the amount of times each event has been used
  • Ability to assign events/tiles to hotkeys and to keep list of favourite event configurations
  • (similar to above) Snippet library to hold personal templates (for MCEs for example)
  • Ability to create tileset helpers that contain the positions of important tiles in the tileset (corners, straight platforms, slopes). With tile description for tileset in place, add paint-like tools mentioned by someone else, except these paint entire platforms using the tileset information. A diagonal line might draw a slope for example, and a block would have proper corners and side tiles. This could also be used to quickly convert levels from one uncompatible tileset to another if implemented correctly. Or form a basis for a random level generator.
  • JCS for newbies #1: Event window contains links to corresponding ERE entries for each event
  • JCS for newbies #2: Event window display mode where each event in the list contains an image of the event. Tuf turtle image above "Tuf Turt" event, etc. Like windows explorer thumbnail view.
  • Level pack creator that finds the used music and (non-official) tilesets for each level selected and creates a zip out of it, or a file list.
  • Ability to remove level password (for your *own* level) once a password has been set.
  • More convenient help function. Possibly an inline help

I guess much of my suggestions are kind of enterprise-y instead of small tweaks and are useless to create if there's only a small amount of people using jcs though.

Interesting Jazz-related links:
Thread: Gameplay Theories - Thread: Make Up Your Own Gametype

Spotify.fm

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Aug 20, 2006, 09:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fquist
  • Test level in multiplayer mode
Like that if a level was checked to be Battle, the editor could run Jazz2.exe with the -server and -battle arguements?

JCF Member

Jerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legend

Aug 20, 2006, 10:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPAZ18
Scroll wheels are great for scrolling vertically but it's the problem I have doing it Horizontally. I have to use the scroll bar at the bottom to move left & right in the Layers section.
yeah two mistakes where 'vertical' should be 'horizontal' read my post again and you'll like it!

btw, who's gonna make it these ideas are so great

JCF Member

Xobim is doing well so far

Aug 20, 2006, 11:36 AM
Maybe something like brushes, to create realistic circles and other forms.
And a window that tells which levels in the users JJ2 folder are connected to which.

JCF Veteran

n00b is an asset to this forumn00b is an asset to this forum

Aug 20, 2006, 02:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooba
Some function which disables choosing music files bigger than 2MB (and 1.5MB for multiplayer?)
Ugh, that'd be terrible if it's not optional to disable that function or not.
If I'm making a level thats just for me, I'd like to be able to choose as big a music file as I please.
Iam Canadian

JCF Member

Iam Canadian is doing well so far

Aug 20, 2006, 07:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam
Iam Canadian: To copy and paste events, hover over it, press b twice, go to where you want it and hold shift and click

You can do that with multiple events, and tiles.
That doesn't copy events on blank tiles. Which should be rectified.

I'm curious. Does Bolly's lack of an ability to use an endtext other than 0 stem from a simple lack of a parameter in JCS, or is it part of the event itself?

JCF Member

PhAyzoN is doing well so far

Aug 20, 2006, 08:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00b
Ugh, that'd be terrible if it's not optional to disable that function or not.
If I'm making a level thats just for me, I'd like to be able to choose as big a music file as I please.

um... doesnt JJ2 crash/not play the music if its bigger than 2MB?
Goodbye all! Ill occasionally drop by here, rarely find a server to join. For those interested, DL my lvls n stuff off J2O (dont remember how many, it wasnt alot). email/MSN me for my unreleased crap that im willing to give up.

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Aug 20, 2006, 10:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam Canadian
That doesn't copy events on blank tiles. Which should be rectified.
hold shift

JCF Member

CrimiClown is a forum legendCrimiClown is a forum legendCrimiClown is a forum legend

Aug 21, 2006, 09:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stijn
hold shift
... guys, for just events you can use CTRL+E to copy and Shift+E to paste...

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Aug 21, 2006, 09:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam Canadian
I'm curious. Does Bolly's lack of an ability to use an endtext other than 0 stem from a simple lack of a parameter in JCS, or is it part of the event itself?
It's just the lack of the parameter. |EndText:4

*edits the ERE articles*
General Hare

JCF Member

General Hare is doing well so far

Aug 21, 2006, 09:27 AM
How about a caving setting were you can choose your tiles you want to use for it rather than having to make the cave and then put in the tiles, were you can select your 8 tiles used to make the ceiling, floor, walls and others making it simple to do so?

JCF Veteran

Aug 21, 2006, 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00b
Good luck trying to run a 5MB file in JJ2 :p.

Anyway, how about a search function for levels? If one doesn't remember the exact filename, he/she goes into the search engine, selects "Find by Level Name" (with "Tileset used" and "Music used" as other examples) and lets the editor hunt for levels with a desired levelname.
n00b

JCF Veteran

Aug 21, 2006, 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhAyzoN
um... doesnt JJ2 crash/not play the music if its bigger than 2MB?
I use UF's Memory boost.

JCF Member

Aug 21, 2006, 11:18 AM
the level browser idea could have some filter fields for each column to search..

JCF Member

Sonyk is doing well so far

Aug 21, 2006, 11:46 AM
I'd like to see a new JJ2 level editor with native *NIX and OS X support, but I'm sure that's pushing it.

JCF Member

Aug 22, 2006, 12:15 AM
there should be one, of course. Everyone has the right of making levels

JCF Member

Grytolle is a forum legendGrytolle is a forum legendGrytolle is a forum legend

Aug 22, 2006, 05:34 AM
Just put in a warning about the music file size... sort of like what FQuist was suggesting about other stuff.

JCF Member

Dermo should make better posts

Aug 22, 2006, 02:19 PM
What I would like to see is the ability to put 2 events on 1 tile block or trigger events. And an easier way to Trigger background/foreground objects. The ability to rebuild sprites without dieing or having to restart the lvl and player aspects like being able to make is so if your playing MP and you chat something, something will happen like if you say /deposite 100 coins in a hotel, it'll deposite those coins. Those are some ideas I would like to see in a JJ2 Level Builder. BTW I think we should send a link to this thread to Epic.

Do you like Stijn? Take my poll!

Windows is not a virus. A virus is small and efficient...

Note to Stijn: how am i even getting away with this

JCF Member

Aug 23, 2006, 12:25 AM
we are changing JCS, not JJ2.. and Epic doesn't give a (-) =(

ah well, how about LEV to j2l conversion? I wanna host race4.lev

JCF Veteran

Aug 23, 2006, 02:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drmoo
What I would like to see is the ability to put 2 events on 1 tile block or trigger events. The ability to rebuild sprites without dieing or having to restart the lvl and player aspects like being able to make is so if your playing MP and you chat something, something will happen like if you say /deposite 100 coins in a hotel, it'll deposite those coins.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry
we are changing JCS, not JJ2
NeonPSY

JCF Member

NeonPSY is doing well so far

Aug 24, 2006, 06:11 AM
Hmm,

-JCS warns you that your CTF level does not have tiles on both side of the level. (Could be really simple, it could just detect whether you have something there other than the first tile of the tileset.)

-A way to play the song files you chose for your level without Save and Run.

-Replace visable events with the accual sprites when you lay them down. (Making bridge making a bit easier.)

-A better arranged event list.

-TilesetPal built in.

-Bypasses the password lock...So you can look at how people did things (Curse you Ninja Dodo. Passwording your T-rex chase.) and fix bugs.

-Also could be built in with JJ1 JCS. Like a combo editor.

-Make it so you can put flying pants in your levels.

-Put in a mini-game with CliffyB in it.

OK, there they are.

JCF Veteran

Aug 24, 2006, 06:19 AM
I'm sure the password bypass is unnecessary and as well illegal. It's easy enough to remove passwords from .J2L's manually. And I'm not going to post instructions on how to do it because it's quite disallowed here.

Also I can't see how it could be integrated with J1CS. It works entirely different.

JCF Member

CrimiClown is a forum legendCrimiClown is a forum legendCrimiClown is a forum legend

Aug 24, 2006, 06:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonPSY
-A way to play the song files you chose for your level without Save and Run.
Modplug Tracker / Player
Quote:
-Bypasses the password lock...So you can look at how people did things (Curse you Ninja Dodo. Passwording your T-rex chase.) and fix bugs.
TecJCS
Quote:
-Put in a mini-game with CliffyB in it.

JCF Member

White Rabbit is doing well so far

Aug 24, 2006, 07:26 AM
But Cooba, the Bonus Level field is neither redunant nor useless, nor is the Secret Level field. Those two fields, with the Next Level one, provide three alternative endings for a single level.

My list:
- Search for events. You could open a window identical to the Set Event window (it would be called Search Event of course), and then look for the event you want to search for. When you've selected your event, JCS would give you the positions of that particular event in the level.
- Go to warp/warp target. An extension of the search function, and useful once you've placed your 200th warp.
- Ability to redo actions.

JCF Veteran

Aug 24, 2006, 07:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Rabbit
But Cooba, the Bonus Level field is neither redunant nor useless
The Bonus Level field doesn't work. And before you say it, the Bonus Level Signpost sends the player to the level specified in the Secret Level field.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 07:49 AM
Joshwct
This message has been deleted by FQuist. Reason: Spam. Does not contribute to topic. The message is not even a reply: no-one is working on a level editor.

JCF Member

Xobim is doing well so far

Aug 24, 2006, 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooba
The Bonus Level field doesn't work. And before you say it, the Bonus Level Signpost sends the player to the level specified in the Secret Level field.
We should keep the bonus level field, it's used by Toolbox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost
Modplug Tracker / Player
MPT doesn't play .j2b files. And that cuts out a big part of the music files.

JCF Veteran

Aug 24, 2006, 09:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xobim
We should keep the bonus level field, it's used by Toolbox.
That only supports my point.
Iam Canadian

JCF Member

Iam Canadian is doing well so far

Aug 24, 2006, 10:08 AM
As an alternative to password bypassing, why not compromise? Add a "read-only" mode where you can view a passworded level in JCS but can't actually do anything to it; you can't add tiles or events, can't add tiles or events, and can't modify the level in any way. That way levels would be protected from stealing but would still allow people to see how something was done.

JCF Member

Aug 24, 2006, 10:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Rabbit
- Go to warp/warp target. An extension of the search function, and useful once you've placed your 200th warp.
How about the warp/s and warp target/s with the same id start blinking when you place your mouse pointer over one? Also, some 'Eventhelper' window could be used to give positions and parameters of all events that could have any connection to the event under your mouse pointer (and make those blinking if you turned on that option)

JCF Member

Camou should make better posts

Aug 25, 2006, 02:12 PM
Dunno if it's already been posted, but something like for the text strings. You select the letters and choose what colors they are, instead of wasting characters by putting in #'s or |'s.

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Aug 25, 2006, 03:08 PM
Please don't quote yourself saying the same as Camou, Cooba. It's annoying.
Camou

JCF Member

Camou should make better posts

Aug 25, 2006, 04:01 PM
Quote:
Huh? Did I quote someone or something? I don't see deleted post or something by Cooba :S

JCF Veteran

Aug 25, 2006, 04:05 PM
I'm also quite confused. I thought I was missing something, glad I'm not the only one.
Doubble Dutch

JCF Member

Doubble Dutch is doing well so far

Aug 25, 2006, 07:11 PM
You're telling me.

I'd like to see sprites instead of event names.

nonne amicus certus in re incerta cernitur?

/)_/)
(^.^)
((")(")
NovaStar

JCF Member

NovaStar is doing well so far

Aug 25, 2006, 07:11 PM
Same.

EDIT - (@n00b k)

JCF Member

Aug 26, 2006, 01:09 AM
event names are fine if they don't spawn anything, but I still like it better if it are just even names shown, where the sprites appear in the parallax view.

JCF Veteran

Aug 26, 2006, 01:47 AM
Quote:
Please stop doing dumb predictions about what I am going to do. It's annoying.