Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

Which weapon(s) do you concider useless?

View Poll Results: Which weapon(s) do you concider useless?
Blaster (...) 5 12.50%
Bouncer 3 7.50%
Freezer 14 35.00%
Seeker 3 7.50%
RF Missiles 3 7.50%
Toaster 3 7.50%
TNT 17 42.50%
Pepperspray 15 37.50%
ElectroBlaster 10 25.00%
And, of course, Trafton... 26 65.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

JCF Member

CrimiClown is a forum legendCrimiClown is a forum legendCrimiClown is a forum legend

Aug 24, 2005, 02:11 AM
Which weapon(s) do you concider useless?

The title says it all. I was wondering which weapon(s) YOU'd never use. Explain and note single player or multiplayer.

I never use RF Missiles (5) in single player since I don't think they are very good, both at damaging and accuracy. Also, the explosion causes a bad on my walking habits...

In multiplayer, though, this weapon is quite useful if you have LOTS of it.

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Aug 24, 2005, 02:29 AM
All weapons find their inventive uses every now and then. Also, you forgot the Whammo Ammo ;<

JCF Member

LittleFreak is doing well so far

Aug 24, 2005, 02:30 AM
I use all weapons in single player. In multiplayer Freezer is useless (before you can freeze and kick someone he has already hit you with seekers), pepperspray has a too low range and TNTs don't do damage in multiplayer so aren't very useful either. I like to smash the ice crates in battle2 though, jump over the ammo and hear my friend curse me because he accidentally collected the stupid ice ammo. :P

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Aug 24, 2005, 02:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleFreak
In multiplayer Freezer is useless
Stop limiting yourself to official gametypes and then call weapons "useless".
Quote:
pepperspray has a too low range
You seem not to have noticed that Pepper Spray's range is in fact the highest one in the entire game when you shoot it while running.
Quote:
TNTs don't do damage in multiplayer so aren't very useful either.
Ground Force, sir. And One Spot is a good example of making TNT useful as well I think.

JCF Member

Sasik is doing well so far

Aug 24, 2005, 03:33 AM
Everything is useful, even in multiplayer ( like CTF ), it just depends on situation.

JCF Member

Aug 24, 2005, 03:40 AM
And you please accept other people's opinions. Pepperspray might have the highest range when shot while running. The problem is though, that a multiplayer game (like battle) is fast paced and before I even have the time to select pepperspray my enemy has shot a few seekers and pawned me. RFs and seekers rule the game.

Besides, the question is "which weapons do you consider useless?". If I find them useless they are useless for me in the gametypes I'm playing. That does not mean they're not useful in ground force, but I'm not playing ground force at all.

JCF Éminence Grise

Fawriel is doing well so far

Aug 24, 2005, 03:45 AM
Since I don't play multiplayer ( can't ) and I'm a terribly pennywise person in games ( I never use limited amounts of something unless I really have to ), all weapons except for the blaster and the occasional seeker and flamethrower.

JCF Member

CrimiClown is a forum legendCrimiClown is a forum legendCrimiClown is a forum legend

Aug 24, 2005, 04:07 AM
Quote:
Besides, the question is "which weapons do you consider useless?". If I find them useless they are useless for me in the gametypes I'm playing. That does not mean they're not useful in ground force, but I'm not playing ground force at all.
He's right, you know...
MaGoo

JCF Member

MaGoo is doing well so far

Aug 24, 2005, 04:25 AM
I usually never use TNT and ice, but that isn't to say they don't come in handy once in a while.

JCF Member

Xobim is doing well so far

Aug 24, 2005, 05:02 AM
Let's see...
Blaster, yes, it has unlimited ammo and is one of the most powerful weapons in the game when powered up and maximum fastfire. (unless you cheat ofcourse, then the laser shield is best)

Bouncer, yes, it can be used to shoot downwards to kill baddies you can't reach and it travels furthest upwards, allowing it to shoot down floating objects you cannot reach.

Freezer, yes, handy for freezing springs and you can kill baddies with spectaculair fashion by running into them while frozen.

Seekers, YES, very handy for killing flying baddies and bosses.

RF Missiles, yes, good for destroying countdown blocks and loads of baddies on one spot.

Toaster, yes, has continuous flame and can seriously injure bosses and has a shot delayment that can kill upcoming baddies.

TNT, yes, can blow up loads of blocks in one shot and many baddies in one shot.

Pepper spray, no, has nearly the same function as the blaster, except that it fires diagonally when you suddenly try to shoot upwards.

Electro blaster, no, is extremely weak, even when powered up and has no special function except going through walls, which is not very usefull.

Trafton, YES!, wha?!?

This is my opinions about the weapons in SP mode. I have never played MP on the internet before, so I don't know.

Banned

R3ptile is doing well so far

Aug 24, 2005, 05:20 AM
Pepper Spray is useless when you get RF's.

JCF Veteran

Aug 24, 2005, 05:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3ptile
Pepper Spray is useless when you get RF's.
Not unless you're talking about powered up RF's.

JCF Member

Aug 24, 2005, 06:08 AM
That's what I meant. You simply don't need pepperspray because powered RFs do the same job, but better.

Greater possibility to hit your opponent > higher range

JCF Veteran

Aug 24, 2005, 06:11 AM
Quote:
Greater possibility to hit your opponent > higher range
Not to mention that powered up RF's deal 2 damage and powered up Pepperspray does 1.

JCF Member

Aug 24, 2005, 06:12 AM
A serious discussion about weapons in Jazz 2... *Sniff* I thought I'd never live to see this...
R3ptile

Banned

Aug 24, 2005, 06:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooba
Not unless you're talking about powered up RF's.
I was talking about both. RF's have a bigger attack range.

JCF Member

White Rabbit is doing well so far

Aug 24, 2005, 07:21 AM
*whacks ppl on the head with Trafton*

I have changed my mind. He is indeed the most powerful weapon known to man.

Kind.

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Aug 24, 2005, 08:41 AM
<3 powered-up toasters.
Nothing more useful to guard a corridor in Assault!!!!

JCF Member

Aug 24, 2005, 08:49 AM
Hmm..I personally like powered-up blasters because they have longer range and have unlimited ammo.

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Aug 24, 2005, 09:02 AM
hmkay but you need a lot of fastfire before it's really useful. Besides toaster flames stick around for a while.

JCF Éminence Grise

Radium is an asset to this forum

Aug 24, 2005, 09:22 AM
Blaster, Electro Blaster, and Pepperspray are all quite useless to me. They actually require aiming, and I always miss. The blaster is only really useful to me if I have a lot of fastfire so I can plow through people, but that rarely happens.

I wouldn't say TNT and Ice are useless. They come in handy in custom gametypes, or getting places you aren't supposed to go.

<i>"This picture shows me that the gray bird man is just a bully and picks on smaller birds. Just because he has no friends and takes it out on others smaller than him to look good. I can see in the parrats eyes that it does however have a understanding of the gray bird man and is upset about getting cut."</i> - Speeza on cartoon birds.

JCF Member

Aug 24, 2005, 09:26 AM
Pepperspray are great chase weapons, and you can just spam blaster bullets all over the place because you know why.

Electroblasters aren't that great in fighting, unless lvls are specifically made for them, or have special gun9 areas.

JCF Member

Aug 24, 2005, 09:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sers^^
Besides toaster flames stick around for a while.
Which has no effect at all. Does powered up toaster even take off two hearts?

JCF Veteran

Aug 24, 2005, 09:56 AM
Quote:
Does powered up toaster even take off two hearts?
Yes... and it even triples the singleplayer damage if my memory serves me right.

JCF Member

Murderbeam is doing well so far

Aug 24, 2005, 10:01 AM
Regarding Seekers.

Seekers. I HATE THEM. they make N00Bs look like N00Bs and Pros look like N00Bs.
They Seek, When powered up they can kill in 2 shots in CTF, They are used in 99% of
All maps, Too many things to describe. I say Pepper spray Owns because it is a
good sneak attack weapon.

Then there's the RF's. I don't mind Them, Thought they can be Annoying.

I'm not taking sides or anything, I'm just giving My opinion.

BTW, i voted Seekers.

I Don't care about caring.
Enjoy your malware-infested computer at the price of a few annoying animated GIF smilies! - Odin

G
R3ptile

Banned

Aug 24, 2005, 10:02 AM
Quote:
Which has no effect at all.
Lies. Play online and know.

Administrator

Aug 24, 2005, 10:15 AM
Quote:
Which has no effect at all. Does powered up toaster even take off two hearts?
A blaster bullet disappears in less than a second. Even when it does not hit the wall, a toaster flame "lives" way longer.

JCF Member

Aug 24, 2005, 10:41 AM
Yes, it lasts longer that's right. But the fire "sticking" to the environment doesn't hurt anyone as far as I'm concerned. At least not in single player or splitscreen.

Administrator

Aug 24, 2005, 12:22 PM
But I said "stick around", not "stick on a wall"

JCF Veteran

Tubz is doing well so far

Aug 24, 2005, 04:41 PM
The whole Trafton thing is just becoming stupid. TNT and Frosbiter are garbage.

"Jewel is the Metallica of Yodelling." ~Edwin McCain
"Yes, it's a personal attack if you save my picture about internet safety" ~Labratkid
"You know what JBL? The only reason you were WWE Champion for a year was because Triple H didn't want to work Tuesdays!" ~Paul Heyman, addressing the public at the "ECW: One Night Stand" PPV on Sunday, June 12, 2005

JCF Member

blurredd is an asset to this forumblurredd is an asset to this forum

Aug 24, 2005, 05:34 PM
Too bad there isn't an easy way to disable blaster shots, or else I would have made a TNT and Ice Team Battle level already.
ATB Contest. Scripting Language.
Gameplay Theories.
1UP. Pitfall. Desolation.
SC2.

JCF Member

EvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHART

Aug 24, 2005, 09:38 PM
In standard multiplayer, all of the jj2 weapons that you listed have merits, even if some of them are pretty limited. I consider no weapons in this poll to be useless. I still voted for ice, however, since I consider it to be the least useful out of all weapons.

The blaster is a terrible weapon with no powerups, but powered up and with fastfires it is effective enough to use over other weapons, due to the unlimited ammuniton.

Bouncers are great for attacking people below you, deterring chasers, and hitting people through walls.

Ice is generally only good for freezing springs, in the few levels where you can actually do something important by doing that. I'm talking about "normal" levels here, not levels where the goal is to push people off the platform or whatever.

Seekers are extremely powerful, and not terribly imbalanced if placed right in levels.

RF missles are an ok chasing weapon unpowered, and the best chasing weapon in the game powered up. Their range isn't as good as some people think, but their high speed makes up for it. Generally though, if the person you are chasing is off your screen, your missles won't reach them. The ability to RF jump is also quite handy, and the explosions of this weapon can damage people through walls.

Toasters are a great weapon, largely due to the fact that the flames stay in the air for so long. It's a good "suppression" weapon in that it can make it hard for an enemy to go near you without getting hurt. The high ammo capacity helps a lot.

TNT is not extremely useful, but it can be helpful in cases where you are being chased. Drop a bunch of TNT behind you and it's harder for the enemy to hit you. It also can kill people in CTF, but in practice this is not easy.

Pepper spray is a very good chasing weapon, since it moves extremely fast and has a much better range than rf missles. Unlike RF missles, you do not need to be close to your opponent to hit them. You'll have to jump a bit though, since pepper spray travels in a straight line. Still, this weapon is extremely useful, and quite underrated. I rank it above unpowered RF missles in terms of usefulness when chasing. Unfortunately, this weapon can only deal 1 damage.

Electro blaster is useful for shooting through walls, obviously. Otherwise it's not great, but in some cases it can be very useful. There are a lot of levels where players can entrench themselves and become hard to attack, but remain very vulnrable to this weapon. It also has a better range (at running speed) than the blaster, but travels slower.

Now I will talk about the shield weapons. I will talk about how useful the weapons are, and ignore the fact that you also get a protective shield.

Water shield bubbles are the best weapon in the game. They are insanely easy to hit people with, almost impossible to dodge, travel through walls, bounce everywhere, and deal 2 damage.

Plasma shield shots are ok, because they can deal two damage. Good if you don't have a powered up blaster, but otherwise not that great since this weapon travels slower.

Fire shield fireballs are almost completely useless. They replace your blaster, deal only one damage, travel slower, and don't work under water. What a ripoff. There's nothing useful about this gun at all other than the fact that it still deals damage.

The laser shield is a completely useless weapon in multiplayer because it crashes servers, and thus doesn't work.

Therefore the one true useless weapon is the laser.

JCF Member

EvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHART

Aug 24, 2005, 09:50 PM
I should also mention that TNT is a great way to 3hk people, since the damage it deals never registers. The only way to hit someone with TNT is if they are moving slowly or stopping though, since the explosion can't hit a person running at full speed.

JCF Member

Grytolle is a forum legendGrytolle is a forum legendGrytolle is a forum legend

Aug 24, 2005, 09:54 PM
Well, there isn't much to say except that TNT owns. Certain fake3 in CTF
Most useless would be frostbiter... that doesn't mean it's comepletely useless though.

JCF Member

Aug 25, 2005, 02:27 AM
Wait, actually Ice and TNT rock in race levels...

So, none but the laser is useless. The fireshield ammo sucks, but still it gives you a shield for protection. And in Single Player you can melt frozen springs with it.

Last edited by LittleFreak; Aug 25, 2005 at 03:15 AM.
Old Aug 25, 2005, 02:33 AM
cooba
This message has been deleted by cooba.

JCF Veteran

Aug 25, 2005, 03:11 AM
Oh yeah, the reason of why are Fire Shield's projectiles so weak is that the shield was originally planned to destroy scenery upon touch, much like a Sugar Rush. Explains why it's placed a while before Bubba in A Cold Day In Heck, no?

JCF Member

Aug 25, 2005, 03:15 AM
Why would Mr. Cliff want the player be able to kill Bilsy with a few touches?

JCF Veteran

Aug 25, 2005, 03:17 AM
First of all, it's Bubba. ;P

Anyway I don't know. Just for the sake of having an overpowered secret nearby a boss, I guess =P

JCF Member

Sasik is doing well so far

Aug 25, 2005, 05:20 AM
Don't say that Ice is useless, I remember duels in DW, when I freezed my opponent in front of my base, and then I could score ;P