Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

Let's Play The Jazz Jackrabbit Series

Segmentation Fault Segmentation Fault's Avatar

JCF Member

Segmentation Fault is doing well so far

Jul 14, 2013, 08:53 AM
Let's Play The Jazz Jackrabbit Series

Hey guys!

Over on the Something Awful Let's Play forums, Garnavis, Donnor (known as Gixugif), and I have been doing a Let's Play of the entire Jazz Jackrabbit series. There's no way we could do this without letting you guys in on it, and indeed J2O and the JCF have been big helps already.

We'll be covering the entire series, including Jazz 1, Jazz 2, Jazz 3D, and of course Jazz Advance. We have a couple of surprises in store, too.

The LP Playlist: Each LP video will be added here as they're uploaded, in proper order, so keep checking out this link as we update.

Here's individual links to the episodes, too:

Jazz 1:
Episode 1: And So It Begins...
Episode 2: L.A. Technoire
Episode 3: The Worst Supervillain Ever
Episode 4: Turtem Pole
Episode 5: Sluggionic
Episode 6: Put a Rocket on It
Episode A: Frog Butte
Episode B: Stonar'd
Episode C: C is for Ceramicus
Episode X: Christmas in July!
Episode Z?: Donnor gets Demolished (Custom Levels, Part 1)
Episode Z, Part 2?: Jazz SWAG
Episode Z, Part 3!: Better Late Than Never!

Battery Check:
Let's Play Battery Check!

We'll also be playing custom levels from both Jazz 1 and 2, so keep an eye out for those episode!

Last edited by Segmentation Fault; Sep 1, 2013 at 06:51 PM.

JCF Member

MrAlextov has disabled reputation

Jul 14, 2013, 10:25 AM
If you will play devresfor JJ2, it would be fucking awesome.

JCF Member

Jul 16, 2013, 02:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedComputer View Post
If you will play devresfor JJ2, it would be fucking awesome.
I'll definitely check it out.

Episode C is now up!

JCF Member

Olsen is doing well so far

Jul 17, 2013, 11:36 AM
Well this is awesome! I hope you check out a few custom levelpacks, especially devres as mentioned above.

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Jul 17, 2013, 01:44 PM
This is pretty damn great. I mean, JJ1 on YouTube in actual HD and enjoyable commentary that's not rambling? Never heard of.

Really awaiting the custom JJ1 levels (I guess I should go finish mine ) and JJ2 in general. Seeing J2O getting discussed on SA makes me giddy, and my J1E review was quoted there, how damn cool is that.

I still don't have an account of my own, so can you tell that Neruz guy to post his manual? He's posting all this lore I've never even heard about.

I'm guessing you're Odin? Nice probation there. Also I hope you forgive for me saying I like Ctrl+Alt+Del in 2007

EDIT: To answer your question from episode 3, multiplayer in JJ1 exists

Last edited by cooba; Jul 17, 2013 at 01:58 PM.

JCF Member

Jul 18, 2013, 11:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooba View Post
This is pretty damn great. I mean, JJ1 on YouTube in actual HD and enjoyable commentary that's not rambling? Never heard of.

Really awaiting the custom JJ1 levels (I guess I should go finish mine ) and JJ2 in general. Seeing J2O getting discussed on SA makes me giddy, and my J1E review was quoted there, how damn cool is that.

I still don't have an account of my own, so can you tell that Neruz guy to post his manual? He's posting all this lore I've never even heard about.

I'm guessing you're Odin? Nice probation there. Also I hope you forgive for me saying I like Ctrl+Alt+Del in 2007

Yeah I'm Odin (SegFault in the videos/forum). Part of this LP is a sort of apology for all the obnoxiousness I've caused from when I was a stupid pre-teen/teenager. So, sorry FQuist/Stijn/Derby/Everybody else who hated me!
And yeah it seems that even me being older and wiser hasn't changed my penchant for getting punished by forum mods Also I totally forgive you for liking CAD, we all do stupid things

I was honestly blown away by the custom levels on the site. I knew that there'd be a couple, but I wasn't expecting two entire custom episodes, complete with custom tilesets! Given the highly-moddable nature of Jazz itself I wonder if it isn't possible to make a Jazz 1 total conversion where you play as, say, Spaz?

I'll let Neruz know. Neruz in general has been a godsend, he's posted so much Jazz lore and knowledge that I knew nothing about. I'm honestly surprised he's not a part of this community.

Also holy crap! I had no idea that OpenJazz had gotten that far! I want to try to get Multiplayer working so I can maybe record a match for the LP. The things this community has done are simply staggering.

JCF Member

Jul 18, 2013, 06:18 PM
Quote:

You guessed correctly, this is Odin. I'm not sure if I'm technically allowed on these forums but Jazz is very near and dear to my heart and I want you guys involved with this. Part of the LP is a combination thank you letter for being a part of my life, and apology for being so obnoxious.
My probation's up now but it does seem that years later I still have a penchant for getting in trouble on forums. Also you're completely forgiven for liking something I didn't like

I definitely let Neruz know (you can see I linked to this thread over on there), he's been a huge help with the LP just by being so knowledgeable. I'm honestly surprised I don't recognize his name from this community. Maybe he's actually from here, under a different name...

Also, holy crap re: Jazz 1 multiplayer! First Jazz2+ and now this. The things this community does continues to astound me. We just might get some multiplayer footage in for the LP.

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Jul 22, 2013, 12:49 PM
Quote:
This. My JJ1 manual, even the digital version, only goes up to episode 6. DD appears to have (had) access to the same material, though.

JCF Member

Newspaz has disabled reputation

Jul 23, 2013, 08:37 AM
Mine doesn't go past episode 6 either. I had multiple copies of JJ1 over multiple years (let's say I wasn't very careful with CDs ) and I never had a manual that contained the extra episodes.

Stealth Admin

Torkell is a forum legendTorkell is a forum legendTorkell is a forum legend

Jul 23, 2013, 10:55 AM
I'm not sure why Segmentation Fault's posts were flagged as spam (I didn't even know the forum software did that!), but I've un-hidden them.

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Jul 23, 2013, 11:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkell View Post
I'm not sure why Segmentation Fault's posts were flagged as spam (I didn't even know the forum software did that!), but I've un-hidden them.
Neat, now I get to pick whichever post I prefer!
ThunderPX

JCF Member

ThunderPX is doing well so far

Jul 23, 2013, 01:12 PM
I'll be watching this, but not for a while as I'm working on my own LPs and I don't want to be subconsciously influenced or something. :P

JCF Member

Jul 23, 2013, 04:05 PM
Whoa, we're front page material! Thanks Cooba!

Also I need to get more on the ball about this sort of thing since this went up a little while back, but in case you're not following the SA thread or the Youtube channel, Holiday Hare '94 and '95 are done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkell View Post
Well, I only made two posts before I started my own thread with a bunch of links in it. I can see how forum software would think "spammer," though the odd thing is that it only blocked my posts in my own thread. I could post in other threads just fine.

Last edited by Segmentation Fault; Jul 24, 2013 at 12:15 AM.
minmay

JCF Member

minmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesome

Jul 24, 2013, 08:10 AM
I had a dream last night that I was making a level for the contest thing, it was a Letni level but i dont remember much else about it

JCF Veteran

Jul 24, 2013, 12:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Segmentation Fault View Post
in case you're not following the SA thread
The paywall's gone back up right after I posted the news, so that's gonna be impossible for me for a while
Quote:
Originally Posted by minmay View Post
I had a dream last night that I was making a level for the contest thing, it was a Letni level but i dont remember much else about it
You still have about 24 hours to make that dream come true!

JCF Éminence Grise

Jul 24, 2013, 01:04 PM
First under the wire!

My old SWAG demo isn't on J2O, in case you're going through pre-existing custom levels and want to include that too.

JCF Veteran

Jul 24, 2013, 04:03 PM
Me too!

JCF Member

Blackraptor is an asset to this forumBlackraptor is an asset to this forum

Jul 24, 2013, 08:48 PM
In.

A couple days of work and not only is there a substantial amount of stuff patched for each level, but also a complete brand new level with new graphix and various shenanigans. Enjoy :P

JCF Member

szmol96 is doing well so far

Jul 25, 2013, 12:21 AM
Quote:
multiplayer in JJ1 exists
k00l.

JCF Veteran

Jul 27, 2013, 02:28 AM
Guess what, turns out I fucked up a bit when uploading. I've hotfixed the major issue and also patched a smaller problem that only happened on Hard and Turbo. Hope I'm not too late and you didn't try recording this yet! (Though I think you didn't, looking at the download logs )

JCF Veteran

Jul 28, 2013, 01:09 AM
Quote:
Guess what, turns out I fucked up a bit when uploading. I've hotfixed the major issue and also patched a smaller problem that only happened on Hard and Turbo. Hope I'm not too late and you didn't try recording this yet! (Though I think you didn't, looking at the download logs )
And now it's properly fixed, instead of lazily hotfixed! Don't need to redownload, though, unless you really miss playing Megairbase.

JCF Member

Jul 28, 2013, 05:34 AM
I've found that making multiple directories of Jazz is the best. OpenJazz would really benefit from a custom level selector.

Edit: The first part of the custom levels is done! Big thanks to Cooba, Violet, Blackraptor, and Newspaz for the levels. H2OMelon over on the SA forums gave a crack at making a Jazz 1 level too, which you can find in the video description.

Last edited by Segmentation Fault; Jul 29, 2013 at 05:24 AM.

JCF Veteran

Jul 29, 2013, 07:49 AM
Thank you so much for playing and recording! I'm glad you liked the level so much, since I assumed the difficulty would be more questionable. Then again, that didn't really seem like attempt 1!

Kind of bummed that the music didn't play the way it was meant to. That happens when the Now Approaching screen is not aborted, somehow, and there's no way I could fix that.

About the question about a story, I did write a couple lines in 2009 but discarded them at the last minute. Basically, the planet (originally named Elemaytius, after the LMAT session that spawned the tileset) was a hybrid between machinery and organic life living in constant symbiosis. I originally had three levels planned, with the third (reskinned to be red) being set in the future, where this ecosystem started destroying itself. The boss would have been Deckstar redux with a giant borg eye spawning some critters.

The Doofus Turtles from Megairbase (which I did not resize) have black shells, because the original pink clashed with the tileset. I then decided to give them extra health and write a line about them defending the planet more fiercely than ever, or something.

Glad you didn't see any game breaking bugs (like some players did)! I would have torn all my hair out

JCF Member

Jul 29, 2013, 10:08 AM
Quote:
Thank you so much for playing and recording! I'm glad you liked the level so much, since I assumed the difficulty would be more questionable. Then again, that didn't really seem like attempt 1!

Kind of bummed that the music didn't play the way it was meant to. That happens when the Now Approaching screen is not aborted, somehow, and there's no way I could fix that.

About the question about a story, I did write a couple lines in 2009 but discarded them at the last minute. Basically, the planet (originally named Elemaytius, after the LMAT session that spawned the tileset) was a hybrid between machinery and organic life living in constant symbiosis. I originally had three levels planned, with the third (reskinned to be red) being set in the future, where this ecosystem started destroying itself. The boss would have been Deckstar redux with a giant borg eye spawning some critters.

The Doofus Turtles from Megairbase (which I did not resize) have black shells, because the original pink clashed with the tileset. I then decided to give them extra health and write a line about them defending the planet more fiercely than ever, or something.

Glad you didn't see any game breaking bugs (like some players did)! I would have torn all my hair out
Yeah, what you saw there was attempt 2. The beginning was pretty tough (if you don't have the timing right with the hoverboard and the swinging balls you're going to have a bad time), but after that I think I did rather well.

As for the music I wish I knew about that issue sooner. It sounds like a couple of the instruments fail to load. Weird.

I knew I recognized the art from somewhere! I'd love to see the other two levels come to completion. If only Jazz 1 level editing was easier...

The reflecting floor got me thinking of other Jazz effects, like the glass effects in Fanolint and Crysilis. Are those hard-coded into Jazz? I wonder if you could somehow get the effects to work on tilesets other than 006 and 016. If you made custom tilesets for .006 and .016, how would those effects behave?

JCF Éminence Grise

Jul 29, 2013, 12:02 PM
Quote:
The reflecting floor got me thinking of other Jazz effects, like the glass effects in Fanolint and Crysilis. Are those hard-coded into Jazz? I wonder if you could somehow get the effects to work on tilesets other than 006 and 016. If you made custom tilesets for .006 and .016, how would those effects behave?
You can get those to work anywhere you like... it's all about using a tileset/palette setting that has a tiled scrolling background, like those two, or Tubelectric, or Megairbase, or Ceramicus, etc. There might possibly be a few guardian/boss quirks that are hardcoded into specific level filenames, but other than that, absolutely everything can be used anywhere you like.

anyway, giggling helplessly over here. looks like the idea of turning the tiny turtlettes into checkpoints was at best a partial success... if you don't take the time to shoot everything that moves like it says in the manual, you'll never reap the benefits. The spot with the three arrow signs right before all the star pickups was supposed to have a speed powerup, but it looks like JJ1 failed to display it in your playthrough.

Last edited by Violet CLM; Jul 29, 2013 at 12:13 PM.
VashTheStampede VashTheStampede's Avatar

JCF Member

VashTheStampede is doing well so far

Jul 31, 2013, 04:46 AM
Quote:
You guessed correctly, this is Odin. I'm not sure if I'm technically allowed on these forums but Jazz is very near and dear to my heart and I want you guys involved with this. Part of the LP is a combination thank you letter for being a part of my life, and apology for being so obnoxious.
My probation's up now but it does seem that years later I still have a penchant for getting in trouble on forums. Also you're completely forgiven for liking something I didn't like

I definitely let Neruz know (you can see I linked to this thread over on there), he's been a huge help with the LP just by being so knowledgeable. I'm honestly surprised I don't recognize his name from this community. Maybe he's actually from here, under a different name...

Also, holy crap re: Jazz 1 multiplayer! First Jazz2+ and now this. The things this community does continues to astound me. We just might get some multiplayer footage in for the LP.
Just for the Record, Odin.... I never had a problem with you.

Though I am sure more people found me obnoxious in my youth than they found you.

Also this LP is awesome.

[JxFhGo9w34865tRh!!!!!] - sÀlÄmÃnDèRDM

JCF Member

Blackraptor is an asset to this forumBlackraptor is an asset to this forum

Aug 7, 2013, 09:31 PM
Well, that was amusing to see :) The carrottus levels (made back in '11) were the product of the first time I ever used or even touched the J1E editor, so they're pretty experimentative, there are some tile bugs since it was like the first time I was limited to one layer of eyecandy to work with (can't use layers in Jazz1). The rest of the levels are wayyy more linear and feature a lot more custom made things as I became more familiar with the level editor but I somehow doubt they'd have been less challenging for you guys (there are 7 in total). I got pretty good at the mechanics of JJ1 while playing around with making and testing the levels so I was more comfortable with running around and making far reaching jumps onto stuff and exploring that way. Kind of disappointed you didn't get far but eh some of the levels are definitely not stuff you beat on the first try and take some dedication to master.

JCF Éminence Grise

Aug 7, 2013, 10:05 PM
Heh, I've done so much fixing on those levels since then, I forgot how much awfulness they threw at you with no warning at release time. The pack's mostly done nowadays, with better graphics too, and rest assured does a much better job than that old demo does.

Also you're better at Lost Ages level 1 than I am, though y'all still need to learn that if you hold the down key, you can see below you.

JCF Veteran

Aug 10, 2013, 01:31 AM
All I want to know is who in the fuck dislikes these videos.

JCF Member

Aug 10, 2013, 02:20 AM
Quote:
1 Children where can't understand about old games. I am one of the likers aswell.

JCF Member

Slaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHART

Aug 10, 2013, 02:54 AM
Quote:
I'm guessing one of the following: Biased kids, attention whores, or Sonic fanboys.

JCF Member

Love & Thunder has disabled reputation

Aug 10, 2013, 05:42 AM
And people who don't like any game that isn't COD or FIFA. Oh, and there are people who don't like any game that isn't on consoles, and also there's the people who don't like Let's Plays, but watch them anyway just so that they can dislike them.

JCF Member

Aug 14, 2013, 12:59 AM
Quote:
People from Italy, Serbia, and Canada. YouTube won't let me cross-reference traffic origins with countries so I can't tell you where they're coming from, but rest assured that someone else from Canada liked our videos too. Maybe we're just unpopular with Eastern Europe and the Mediterranean. :C

JCF Veteran

Aug 14, 2013, 01:03 AM
Quote:
Serbia
Ah, I know who that was now. Thanks.

JCF Member

Aug 14, 2013, 03:03 AM
Quote:
Ah, I know who that was now. Thanks.
Mind sharing?

JCF Member

Aug 14, 2013, 07:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo4900 View Post
And people who don't like any game that isn't COD or FIFA. Oh, and there are people who don't like any game that isn't on consoles, and also there's the people who don't like Let's Plays, but watch them anyway just so that they can dislike them.
Hey, Jazz 1 is ported to Dreamcast!

JCF Member

Love & Thunder has disabled reputation

Aug 20, 2013, 07:25 AM
True, although that's OpenJazz which is very buggy(And DOSBox doesn't run very well on most non-PC platforms).

JCF Member

Aug 20, 2013, 09:43 AM
Guys, what is going on? Do you are working for JJ2?

JCF Member

Treylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legend

Aug 20, 2013, 11:05 AM
Quote:
Hey, Jazz 1 is ported to Dreamcast!
Since when? (mind you, I don't know much about JJ1).

Quote:
Guys, what is going on? Do you are working for JJ2?
...Where the hell did you get that idea?

Oh wait, you mean when there will be a JJ2 Let's play. Gee, working for a game sounds more like developing for it.

Jazz Jackrabbit group: https://discord.gg/vZm95tQ

Last edited by Treylina; Aug 20, 2013 at 11:08 AM. Reason: i would do terrible trying to understand broken english