Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

JJ2+ (Updated June 30, 2010)

JCF Member

Tik is doing well so far

Nov 29, 2009, 09:24 PM
I downloaded the latest version and ran the plusifier. When it asked me to open a file, I renamed my original Jazz2.exe to a backup name, and then renamed my old plus'd file, Jazz2+.exe, to Jazz2.exe. I selected the same for the save file and typed no when it asked if I wanted to make a backup. The plusifier seemed to work, but when I tried to run the program, I got something of an access violation. I apologise for not writing it down. It continued to do this until I re-ran the plusifier and now it seems to be fine.

Thought that should be known if nothing similar has been reported. I'm not sure if my renaming caused a simple error or something else did, but there you have it.
<a href="/junk/tick/tickbot.html">readme</a> - <a href="/junk/tick/quote.html">quotes</a> - <a href="/junk/tick/rsg.html">formats</a> - are you brained? *\o/*</td><td width="1%" align="right"></td></tr></table>

JCF Member

Dermo should make better posts

Nov 29, 2009, 09:46 PM
I always replace. never back up my files. never had a problem.

Do you like Stijn? Take my poll!

Windows is not a virus. A virus is small and efficient...

Note to Stijn: how am i even getting away with this

JCF Member

Tik is doing well so far

Nov 29, 2009, 10:05 PM
Well, if I hadn't have renamed my original Jazz2 file to be sure it was still available, it would have been much more of a hassle to rerun the plusifier as I would only have the bad copy available. Just because you've never had any problems doesn't mean it isn't a good idea to always have a backup available.
<a href="/junk/tick/tickbot.html">readme</a> - <a href="/junk/tick/quote.html">quotes</a> - <a href="/junk/tick/rsg.html">formats</a> - are you brained? *\o/*</td><td width="1%" align="right"></td></tr></table>

JCF Member

blurredd is an asset to this forumblurredd is an asset to this forum

Nov 29, 2009, 10:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tik View Post
I downloaded the latest version and ran the plusifier. When it asked me to open a file, I renamed my original Jazz2.exe to a backup name, and then renamed my old plus'd file, Jazz2+.exe, to Jazz2.exe. I selected the same for the save file and typed no when it asked if I wanted to make a backup. The plusifier seemed to work, but when I tried to run the program, I got something of an access violation. I apologise for not writing it down. It continued to do this until I re-ran the plusifier and now it seems to be fine.
I can't say for sure, but it sounds like you might've used the new version of the Plusifier on an exe that has already been plusified.
ATB Contest. Scripting Language.
Gameplay Theories.
1UP. Pitfall. Desolation.
SC2.

JCF Member

Raven aka StL should make better posts

Nov 30, 2009, 07:25 AM
When you use the plusifier, it makes a jazz2+.exe and a jazz2.exe will still remain. When you update plus you should always delete the jazz2+.exe and select the jazz2.exe with plusifier.

Just to avoid unnecessary problems.

JCF Member

EvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHART

Nov 30, 2009, 06:54 PM
Another thing to note is that with some updates you don't really have to run plusifier. I only bother if the update notes actually say to re-run it. Usually just downloading the new dll file is enough.

JCF Member

Grytolle is a forum legendGrytolle is a forum legendGrytolle is a forum legend

Dec 1, 2009, 12:07 AM
Yeah, yet another good advice from the Emperor (Y)

JCF Member

Tik is doing well so far

Dec 3, 2009, 09:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlurredD View Post
I can't say for sure, but it sounds like you might've used the new version of the Plusifier on an exe that has already been plusified.
I don't think so, I ran the old file before and the menu screen just had 1.23 as the version. But I could have made a mistake or chosen the wrong file; I was renaming them all. Could have easily gotten confused.

In either case it might be helpful if the plusifier could detect if it was already plusified and could warn people.

To Mike - I hadn't updated it in ages so I'm sure I needed to run it again. But I'll keep that in mind for future updates.
&lt;table width=&quot;100%&quot;&gt;&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td valign=&quot;top&quot;&gt;&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.jj2.info&quot; title=&quot;waaaait&quot; style=&quot;font-size: 14pt;font-family: Verdana;text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;penny on the train track&lt;/a&gt;
&lt;a href=&quot;/junk/tick/tickbot.html&quot;&gt;readme&lt;/a&gt; - &lt;a href=&quot;/junk/tick/quote.html&quot;&gt;quotes&lt;/a&gt; - &lt;a href=&quot;/junk/tick/rsg.html&quot;&gt;formats&lt;/a&gt; - are you brained? *\o/*&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td width=&quot;1%&quot; align=&quot;right&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;&lt;/table&gt;

JCF Member

Crazy Rabbit is doing well so far

Dec 16, 2009, 12:10 AM
I think you need add some commands...
What about fix Team Battle...
Adapt MPStart team 0 and team 1 for Team Battle?
I hope you understood me!

JCF Member

PurpleJazz is OFF DA CHARTPurpleJazz is OFF DA CHARTPurpleJazz is OFF DA CHART

Dec 16, 2009, 06:00 AM
Use Start Position (Multiplayer), which has a parameter for selecting which team will spawn there: 0 = Blue, 1 = Red.

JCF Member

Dec 16, 2009, 10:56 PM
Its bugged...I set /tb... But red rabbit spawns in MPStart with 0 Team(blue)...

JCF Member

Hitch is doing well so far

Dec 17, 2009, 02:07 PM
One idea is: What if spectators had a chat mode, just like admins, but obviously spectators only. For admins you could put ">" before you chat. Maybe for the spectating chat you could use a "-" or something. This would mainly be useful for when watching duels and such, but not really a big deal.

Second idea: I think I already mentioned this but, have a command for swapping more than one player. Ex: /swap 1-4 6 9.

Get it now : Memories 3: Imagination

Some links:
JDC - Uploads - 8th Dimension Site

The closer you get to light, the greater your shadow becomes

JCF Member

Slaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHART

Dec 18, 2009, 11:15 AM
Are spectators, in team games, technically defined as a 'stand-alone' team in some way? If so, then I'd say coding a feature like that wouldn't be too troublesome? Still, I only know little of how JJ2+ technically works so eh.

JCF Member

Dec 18, 2009, 06:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
One idea is: What if spectators had a chat mode, just like admins, but obviously spectators only. For admins you could put ">" before you chat. Maybe for the spectating chat you could use a "-" or something. This would mainly be useful for when watching duels and such, but not really a big deal.

Second idea: I think I already mentioned this but, have a command for swapping more than one player. Ex: /swap 1-4 6 9.
Good idea...

JCF Member

EvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHART

Dec 30, 2009, 10:44 AM
Random feature request

This has come to be my #1 wanted feature for jj2+.

How about finally getting some use out of both the bonus level AND secret level fields? JCS Lets you put in a total of three "next levels" in the JCS settings, but only lets you use two of them with events...

It would be awesome if all three would be usable. The best way I can see of doing this is adding an extra field to the next level event, where 0 sends you to the next level, 1 sends you to the secret level, and 2 sends you to the bonus level. This would keep it backwards compatible.

An extra step could be to add this feature to the "secret level" event as well, because it has the nice feature of having quick level transitions, and in JJ2+ that's about all it does now anyway (not sure if this is an intentional change but whatever). Of course, the problem with this event is the default behaviour is to send you to the bonus level, so configuring it to be able to send you to all 3 wouldn't be as intuitive (0 would have to be the bonus level, 1 the secret level, and 2 the regular level, or something like that).

Anyway my reason for this feature request is pretty simple. I'm working on something right now that basically requires either scripting, or the ability to use 3 exits. Scripting is crazy full fledged plan with tons of gameplay changes... but I have a much more likely and realistic plan B which only requires one new feature, and that feature is more than two exits per level.

If I knew that this feature would be in the next JJ2+, I could start doing some serious level design on this project and probably release a demo or "Part 1" in a few months, or whenever the update comes out if later. Otherwise, I'm going to just put JCS aside for now since this project is really the only thing I'm interested in working on.

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Dec 30, 2009, 12:01 PM
It's a bit clunkier, but if all else fails you could have one of the next levels (next, secret) be a filler level that in turn sent you to one of two other levels, depending on your entrance point, using warps or somesuch.

JCF Member

Troglobite is a forum legendTroglobite is a forum legendTroglobite is a forum legend

Dec 30, 2009, 12:43 PM
Yes, this could definitely work, but I agree it would be much smoother and cleaner if plus made use of the bonus and secret levels.

Lexicographer: Someone who writes dictionaries
Neophyte: A novice, or newbie
Hemisemidemiquaver: In music, a sixty-fourth note

Exit Troglobite, Stage Left

JCF Member

Dec 30, 2009, 07:21 PM
That's way too clunky for my tastes. It's doable, but I would never use it in anything big. There's just no way to apply it practically without being annoying/weird to players. Plus it's easy for something like that to go wrong. A "better" alternative would be to either make the levels really big so only 2 exits are ever needed (this would seriously limit the number of tilesets I want to use, probably cutting the amount by like 75%) or make it so a lot of the exits are "one way", such that a level may have three entrances but only two exits (this would be a very confusing layout for players and would inhibit exploration). None of these are good options though, which is why I'd simply just put aside the project if it had to come to that.
Falcury

JCF Member

Falcury is doing well so far

Dec 31, 2009, 03:19 AM
As some may know, I have been trying to achieve this kind of open world gameplay in JJ2 for some time (if not always very actively).

If JJ2+ won't let me do it, I'd gladly write yet another utility that gets in the way as little as possible, specific to your purposes (which would otherwise require scripting).
So what I'm trying to say, don't give up on your project, because one way or another, what you describe is perfectly doable.

JCF Member

Lithium is an asset to this forum

Dec 31, 2009, 08:58 AM
My server crashes. Simply,without any error message. The JJ2 window closes. Blur,you told me to look the log. No error messages are in the log. HELP!

JCF Member

blurredd is an asset to this forumblurredd is an asset to this forum

Dec 31, 2009, 09:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilMike View Post
This has come to be my #1 wanted feature for jj2+.

How about finally getting some use out of both the bonus level AND secret level fields? JCS Lets you put in a total of three "next levels" in the JCS settings, but only lets you use two of them with events...

It would be awesome if all three would be usable. The best way I can see of doing this is adding an extra field to the next level event, where 0 sends you to the next level, 1 sends you to the secret level, and 2 sends you to the bonus level. This would keep it backwards compatible.

An extra step could be to add this feature to the "secret level" event as well, because it has the nice feature of having quick level transitions, and in JJ2+ that's about all it does now anyway (not sure if this is an intentional change but whatever). Of course, the problem with this event is the default behaviour is to send you to the bonus level, so configuring it to be able to send you to all 3 wouldn't be as intuitive (0 would have to be the bonus level, 1 the secret level, and 2 the regular level, or something like that).
I should probably implement something since I'm undoing the secret level changes I made earlier. It wouldn't be hard to have the EOL events use a help string for the filename. I can also add a bit for fast level cycling. Also, I'm in favor of using the bonus level field as the level you go to after getting a game over. It would just require something like a '|' before the filename for backwards compatibility.
ATB Contest. Scripting Language.
Gameplay Theories.
1UP. Pitfall. Desolation.
SC2.

JCF Member

Dec 31, 2009, 10:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcury View Post
If JJ2+ won't let me do it, I'd gladly write yet another utility that gets in the way as little as possible, specific to your purposes (which would otherwise require scripting).
So what I'm trying to say, don't give up on your project, because one way or another, what you describe is perfectly doable.
Thanks for the offer. And don't worry, I don't plan on giving anything up; just putting it on hold until things become more feasible (it's more a question of when than if).

Using an external utility for some of the fancier things was also something that I thought about doing myself as an alternative to scripting... but I ruled it out due to the difficulties it would impose (it would somewhat difficult to create something like say, a magic potion sprite that gives you the ability to double jump twice in the air, whereas this is actually pretty easy with scripting). Also, my experience with memory editing has been that some things can cause the game to slow down a bit or become less responsive to input, and this might be a problem for something like say disallowing the player to copter, which pretty much requires setting a certain memory address to 0 every game tick. A utility would still offer advantages though, especially with somebody helping, so I'll definitely think about accepting your offer (it would be good for having triggers persist between levels, or for permanently switching the character). I'm going to take a look at what I have at the moment and see if what would need tweaking in order of this to work. Karrot shire was pretty impressive from what I played of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlurredD
I should probably implement something since I'm undoing the secret level changes I made earlier. It wouldn't be hard to have the EOL events use a help string for the filename. I can also add a bit for fast level cycling. Also, I'm in favor of using the bonus level field as the level you go to after getting a game over. It would just require something like a '|' before the filename for backwards compatibility.
That's an interesting idea with the bonus level replacing the game over screen. It could be used to skip it entirely (set the game over level to the current level) or do something really evil like send the player back to level 1 (probably a bad idea). Or for a non-linear pack, it could send the player to the "central hub" area.

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Dec 31, 2009, 10:52 AM
I think what blur meant was this: the game over screen would be still there, but choosing to survive would lead you to the bonus level, instead of restarting the current level.

JCF Member

Jan 1, 2010, 09:53 PM
What about /forcelogin # command?
Example:
Chat: /forcelogin 2
Unearth[CDF] has logged in by login command...
xD
So, what you say about this idea, BlurredD?

JCF Member

Jan 4, 2010, 12:20 AM
Hm.

I like this idea. The problems like "come on all swap to blue and wait until i tell this guy the admin pass","can you login on MSN plz" and "now i will kick everyone to tell this guy the pass" will end. Still,there should still be the ability to /login.

Also,there should be a command to uh,ban the specific commands for admins. If you do not want your admin to ban everyone,just write something like /bancommand /ban.

(I know it looks crazy but it will be helpful.)

JCF Member

Jan 4, 2010, 12:31 PM
The second one: I know,that's the idea. But we still need a simple command. For the filter,I don't know...I might need one,that's why I posted this.
DanZeal

JCF Member

DanZeal is an asset to this forum

Jan 5, 2010, 03:21 AM
Secondary login with lower rights?
No need for a new command, just two passwords.

ZStats
"The myth that women should not lift heavy is advanced only by women who fear effort and men who fear women." Eric Midkiff

JCF Member

Raven aka StL should make better posts

Jan 5, 2010, 04:51 AM
remote moderator?

JCF Member

Jan 5, 2010, 06:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanZeal View Post
Admin level 1,without ability to /kill /ban /forcespectate and kick the same IP more times.

Admin level 2 with all rights.

Nice.

JCF Member

Troglobite is a forum legendTroglobite is a forum legendTroglobite is a forum legend

Jan 5, 2010, 09:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanZeal View Post
Having two levels of login could be quite useful, I imagine. Although I think it might also be nice having the /forcelogin command. That way it would be possible to login a specific person without having to say the password and risk other people finding out. You could probably even not have a password if you really wanted to make sure no one you didn't know would login and mess with your settings.

Lexicographer: Someone who writes dictionaries
Neophyte: A novice, or newbie
Hemisemidemiquaver: In music, a sixty-fourth note

Exit Troglobite, Stage Left
DanZeal

JCF Member

DanZeal is an asset to this forum

Jan 5, 2010, 10:04 AM
I feel that a forcelogin would at some situation just be missused (as many other commands).

ZStats
"The myth that women should not lift heavy is advanced only by women who fear effort and men who fear women." Eric Midkiff

JCF Member

Jgke is an asset to this forumJgke is an asset to this forum

Jan 8, 2010, 07:22 AM
How about a in-game automatic translator?
crazy chameleon

JCF Member

crazy chameleon is doing well so far

Jan 8, 2010, 08:58 AM
This one allows Coop-play online?
how i do it?

JCF Member

PurpleJazz is OFF DA CHARTPurpleJazz is OFF DA CHARTPurpleJazz is OFF DA CHART

Jan 8, 2010, 10:17 AM
When hosting a server, type /gamemode coop in the ingame chat.

JCF Member

Dermo should make better posts

Jan 8, 2010, 10:27 AM
Would be a good idea to put it in the list of game modes when you first host a server. In fact, put all the main options in, that way you don't have to do it when you go into chat.

I realize there's going to be an ini file but it would be easier if you implemented it into the game itself.

Do you like Stijn? Take my poll!

Windows is not a virus. A virus is small and efficient...

Note to Stijn: how am i even getting away with this

JCF Member

Charlie Parker is doing well so far

Jan 9, 2010, 02:30 AM
Hi! I am new here, but have been playing online sporadically.
I have a question about versions and this update: After following the instructions in the readme, my version says it's 1.24+beta, but on http :// jazzjackrabbit. net/ gip/, when I host a game, it shows my game to be 1.24, while all the other servers, mostly, are 1.24+. Still, they aren't grayed out in my server list window. Why is this? Something secret?

Quote:
Another thing to note is that with some updates you don't really have to run plusifier. I only bother if the update notes actually say to re-run it. Usually just downloading the new dll file is enough.
Does this mean there are more recent updates than the July 28th-one? Hm...

JCF Member

Foly has disabled reputation

Jan 9, 2010, 05:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Parker View Post
I have a question about versions and this update: After following the instructions in the readme, my version says it's 1.24+beta, but on http :// jazzjackrabbit. net/ gip/, when I host a game, it shows my game to be 1.24, while all the other servers, mostly, are 1.24+. Still, they aren't grayed out in my server list window. Why is this? Something secret?

Its only for people that know THE secret about jazzjackrabbit2...

Nah jking, are you sure you are using Jazz2+.exe? You can check it at the main screen at the bottem left of jj2. If this is not the problem then it might be that your server is pinging (means that nobody is able to join).

And no, there arent more recent updates but i dont think it wont take verry long for the next update (im not sure tough).
[13:07:13] *** Foly is on a KILLING SPREE!
[13:07:14] *** you killed yourself
[13:07:14] *** Foly was looking good but died instead...

JCF Member

Jan 9, 2010, 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Parker View Post
Make sure you are actually playing with Jazz2+, by default it's a different exe file (it does not overwrite anything). Later you can rename Jazz2+.exe to Jazz2.exe, if you want.

Also, if you want to make your sever fully accessible, you should enable multiversion by editing plus.ini, or typing /multiversion on. Plus.ini is a better choice because the settings are permanent.

Quote:
No.

JCF Member

Charlie Parker is doing well so far

Jan 9, 2010, 12:52 PM
Quote:
Make sure you are actually playing with Jazz2+, by default it's a different exe file (it does not overwrite anything). Later you can rename Jazz2+.exe to Jazz2.exe, if you want.

Also, if you want to make your sever fully accessible, you should enable multiversion by editing plus.ini, or typing /multiversion on. Plus.ini is a better choice because the settings are permanent.

No.
I'm using the Jazz2+-file, and tried enabling multiversion, and it still doesn't show up as +...but my server is pinging, so I think it's a router problem. I asked about that in another thread, and there's probably no solution than maybe trying hamachi.

JCF Member

Jan 9, 2010, 07:01 PM
Oh...Fix plz /coop...If i buttstomping, i kill enemy and lost 1h...I use jazz2+ only because its simply, dont need make save+run everytime, just save changes in level, write /r, and its worked...