Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

JJ2+ (Updated June 30, 2010)

JCF Member

FihuFiL is notorious for his worthless posts

Apr 10, 2010, 08:56 AM
when today I tried to load not original levellist with "-levellist=lltest.ini" on Ubuntu Sever 9.1 (it is Linux OS) with tests level as CTF it won't work. Plus automatically load original LevelList.ini on windows I have the same reaction. Anybody have an idea how to fix it?

JCF Member

blurredd is an asset to this forumblurredd is an asset to this forum

Apr 10, 2010, 09:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaz View Post
Never had this before. Pops up sometimes now when starting Jazz2 and switches to fullscreen. Most likely the next startup works correctly however. Is this related to DirectDraw and Plus? On the other side, my PC already had strange issues with JJ2 and fullscreen, as it sometimes just went back to desktop after loading a level, removing Jazz2 from the programs list, while it was still fully running as a process..
I can't say what the problem is. I'll have to look into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FihuFiL View Post
when today I tried to load not original levellist with "-levellist=lltest.ini" on Ubuntu Sever 9.1 (it is Linux OS) with tests level as CTF it won't work. Plus automatically load original LevelList.ini on windows I have the same reaction. Anybody have an idea how to fix it?
The readme should say "-levellistfile=<filename>". Sorry about that.
ATB Contest. Scripting Language.
Gameplay Theories.
1UP. Pitfall. Desolation.
SC2.

JCF Member

FihuFiL is notorious for his worthless posts

Apr 10, 2010, 12:34 PM
Never mind, thx

JCF Member

EvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHART

Apr 10, 2010, 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaz View Post

Never had this before. Pops up sometimes now when starting Jazz2 and switches to fullscreen. Most likely the next startup works correctly however. Is this related to DirectDraw and Plus? On the other side, my PC already had strange issues with JJ2 and fullscreen, as it sometimes just went back to desktop after loading a level, removing Jazz2 from the programs list, while it was still fully running as a process..
This might have something to do with the intro videos, which are not 640x480.

JCF Member

Jgke is an asset to this forumJgke is an asset to this forum

Apr 10, 2010, 09:56 PM
I have that same problem, after the new plus.
Edit:I've also seen that running JJ2 from an GIP link may fix this problem.
DanZeal

JCF Member

DanZeal is an asset to this forum

Apr 11, 2010, 05:53 AM
How are plus handling the ping function?
How much data is used?

ZStats
"The myth that women should not lift heavy is advanced only by women who fear effort and men who fear women." Eric Midkiff

JCF Member

Apr 11, 2010, 07:32 AM
Now the problem has gone worse. I can't run JJ2 at all without that error. What was the command for no intro? (Btw, I have a widescreen screen, can this be the problem?)
DanZeal

JCF Member

Apr 11, 2010, 09:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J96 View Post
What was the command for no intro?
Command Line Argument: -menu

ZStats
"The myth that women should not lift heavy is advanced only by women who fear effort and men who fear women." Eric Midkiff

JCF Member

Apr 11, 2010, 08:50 PM
hmm. Using -menu, JJ2 starts minimized. It still starts, though.
sonicnathan 1

JCF Member

sonicnathan 1 is doing well so far

Apr 12, 2010, 08:39 AM
Great! I like all these fixes, however, in the future do you think you could think about singleplayer? Simple things like nofire in singleplayer is a great edition and wish this surfaced a while back. Simple things like that to SP would be great in my opinion.

Other then that nice work! 32 man servers, that is going to be hell.
Episode 4: Probably never

<a href="http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/info.php?levelID=4882"> Deckstar V3</a>
<a href="http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/info.php?levelID=5408">Colonial Fix</a>
Jazz 1 Fanolint: 98%

<a href="http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/info.php?levelID=5407">Finished secret levels</a>

JCF Member

Apr 12, 2010, 10:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grytolle View Post
in chat:
´ works
` doesn't
¨works
^ doesn't
ˇ doesn't work

in name edit:
same, except that ˇ doesn't work AT ALL

ø works but isn't visible in the name edit field
When you say those characters don't work, do you mean they produce incorrect output when used with another letter (as in, typing "`e" produces "`è"), or do you mean something else?

The ˇ character and letters using that diacritic are not in the Windows-1252 character set, so you won't get exactly what you expect when you type them in.

Any characters that are not visible on the menu screen but are visible when in a game are menu font issues that I cannot solve at the moment.
Gameplay Theories.
SC2.

JCF Member

Grytolle is a forum legendGrytolle is a forum legendGrytolle is a forum legend

Apr 13, 2010, 03:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlurredD View Post
When you say those characters don't work, do you mean they produce incorrect output when used with another letter (as in, typing "`e" produces "`è"), or do you mean something else?
Yes

Quote:
The ˇ character and letters using that diacritic are not in the Windows-1252 character set, so you won't get exactly what you expect when you type them in.
Yeah I added it to my keyboard manually for the sole purpose of being able to say naughty words in Yugoslavian

Quote:
Any characters that are not visible on the menu screen but are visible when in a game are menu font issues that I cannot solve at the moment.
Well that's an ever smaller issue ^^

Code:
´ works
` doesn't -> 'è
¨works
^ doesn't -> ^ĂŞ (^ofc being an infinite sign)
ˇ doesn't work -> ?š

JCF Member

Seren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to all

Apr 13, 2010, 09:40 AM
I decided to test the multiplayer frogs thing once more. I hosted local server with a typical frog domination level. Both players are Spaz. Here is the result:
Client:

Server:

Cool, isn't it. But it's not everything yet. By an accidence, I scored 100 points and the level changed to the one that's not yet finished. There is no witch, so the players were not changed into the frogs. Result:
Client:

Server:

Now this is interesting.

I am an official JJ2+ programmer and this has been an official JJ2+ statement.

JCF Member

Troglobite is a forum legendTroglobite is a forum legendTroglobite is a forum legend

Apr 13, 2010, 10:38 AM
I believe this bug is well known and I don't think it's high up on the list of fixes. In fact, (I might be mistaken here) I think that plus might actually prevent the change into a frog in some cases.

Lexicographer: Someone who writes dictionaries
Neophyte: A novice, or newbie
Hemisemidemiquaver: In music, a sixty-fourth note

Exit Troglobite, Stage Left

JCF Member

Apr 13, 2010, 01:54 PM
If the server and client are both running the latest version of JJ2+, they shouldn't be seeing different characters after a character morph--except for issues with Lori and 1.23 and one rare race condition (will be fixed in the next update). Sir Ementaler, is what you showed us reproducible, and if so, what steps did you take?
Gameplay Theories.
SC2.

JCF Member

Apr 13, 2010, 08:05 PM
One other thing: who has been having the chat bug where you send random characters without typing them into the chat field? What steps can you take so that this bug always happens? I ask because I have some idea how to fix it, but I need to know why it happens.
Gameplay Theories.
SC2.

JCF Member

Dermo should make better posts

Apr 13, 2010, 08:16 PM
Quote:
If the server and client are both running the latest version of JJ2+, they shouldn't be seeing different characters after a character morph--except for issues with Lori and 1.23 and one rare race condition (will be fixed in the next update). Sir Ementaler, is what you showed us reproducible, and if so, what steps did you take?
Well if you do a trigger zone, and the one client sees a masked tile while the other one doesn't, the other player will shoot. The one player will see the bullet hit the masked tile but the other one will see himself morph.

This could also be caused by lag.

Do you like Stijn? Take my poll!

Windows is not a virus. A virus is small and efficient...

Note to Stijn: how am i even getting away with this

JCF Member

Apr 14, 2010, 06:56 AM
Quote:
One other thing: who has been having the chat bug where you send random characters without typing them into the chat field? What steps can you take so that this bug always happens? I ask because I have some idea how to fix it, but I need to know why it happens.
Is this something else than the diacritics issue? If not, I could upload my keyboard layout for you, maybe that'll cause it for you too

JCF Member

Seren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to all

Apr 14, 2010, 07:03 AM
Quote:
I tested it few more times in a few more ways. Looks like you're right. I wasn't running the latest version, because I had the same error as Slaz and the game didn't wanted to start. I also thought you didn't fix frog-bug this time (anyway, I started to talk about this idea before the newest Plus was finished). The second problem was the 1.23 version. Why actually isn't it compatibile with this?

Anyway, now I'm going to make lots of TSF only frog dominations, frog races, frog team battles, frog assaults and frog ground forces.

Thanks and sorry for causing problems.

Later I must try the same thing with birds, too.

I am an official JJ2+ programmer and this has been an official JJ2+ statement.

JCF Member

Apr 14, 2010, 12:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grytolle View Post
Is this something else than the diacritics issue? If not, I could upload my keyboard layout for you, maybe that'll cause it for you too
Nothing to do with the diacritics issue. I'm referring to the bug that's been around even before JJ2+ where you automatically send random chat text to others immediately after you press 't' to show the chat field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dermo View Post
Well if you do a trigger zone, and the one client sees a masked tile while the other one doesn't, the other player will shoot. The one player will see the bullet hit the masked tile but the other one will see himself morph.

This could also be caused by lag.
These cases shouldn't be causing problems anymore, assuming all players are running the latest version of JJ2+.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ementaler View Post
The second problem was the 1.23 version. Why actually isn't it compatibile with this?
Character morphs in a server with both 1.23 and TSF players should work reasonably well. The only issue, as I was referring to before, is 1.23 users will see a Lori player as Jazz.
Gameplay Theories.
SC2.

JCF Member

Apr 14, 2010, 12:55 PM
Quote:
Nothing to do with the diacritics issue. I'm referring to the bug that's been around even before JJ2+ where you automatically send random chat text to others immediately after you press 't' to show the chat field.
Chiyu/CraccoBoy used to have something like that, his teamchat was always filled with weird signs "§§§§§§§§§jytutbkj§§§§ r3", but I suppose that isn't it either

JCF Member

Troglobite is a forum legendTroglobite is a forum legendTroglobite is a forum legend

Apr 14, 2010, 02:47 PM
I have the chat bug and will often end up saying " \ ∞∞ @ " or something of that nature. It happens in both team chat and normal chat, and occasionally happens multiple times in a row if I try to say what I actually meant again. If I hold down backspace long enough, it usually stops, although sometimes the symbols are created too fast and it ends up sending a message even when I'm holding down backspace. I'm not sure as to why this occurs, and I can't figure out anything in particular that causes it. It seems to happen whether t is the only key pressed at the time, or if I also have an arrow key or jump or something also pressed.

Lexicographer: Someone who writes dictionaries
Neophyte: A novice, or newbie
Hemisemidemiquaver: In music, a sixty-fourth note

Exit Troglobite, Stage Left

JCF Member

EvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHART

Apr 14, 2010, 05:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troglobite View Post
I have the chat bug and will often end up saying " \ ∞∞ @ " or something of that nature. It happens in both team chat and normal chat, and occasionally happens multiple times in a row if I try to say what I actually meant again. If I hold down backspace long enough, it usually stops, although sometimes the symbols are created too fast and it ends up sending a message even when I'm holding down backspace. I'm not sure as to why this occurs, and I can't figure out anything in particular that causes it. It seems to happen whether t is the only key pressed at the time, or if I also have an arrow key or jump or something also pressed.
This is the bug which blur is talking about.

Another thing which happens is you sometime see strings of numbers. eg
Code:
EvilMike: 4          4            2                     22 2         4
The reason for this is jj2 has a weird bug with some people, where it stores keystrokes in a buffer and then dumps it all when the chat prompt (or any other prompt) appears in-game. This includes numbers (for changing weapons), shift (which is why you sometimes get numbers, and sometimes symbols), and spaces (often used for shooting or jumping). It even includes line breaks, if you use enter to change your weapon.

JCF Member

FawFul is a forum legendFawFul is a forum legendFawFul is a forum legend

Apr 14, 2010, 10:43 PM
Quote:
Unfortunately chiyu isn't the only one, i have this too along with the very others having this bug.

Since the day i've played, i've had this annoying stuff. most people didn't even know there was such a bug. I usually get it when i am not typing too much, like when playing a CTF match and typing CTF codes i am not getting this. the longer i wait, the longer i play, the more character spam my keyboard makes when i use 'T'. it just starts writing non-sense out of itself. and i need to push t and escape to clear everything often for like 20 times.

When you delete your first line once and you press T again you getthe same thing over again until it's really 'cleared'. and then i can wait again how it builds itself up. Probably when i move a lot, pressing buttons and such -> pressing more at once. That probably causes it. Also because the keyboard is pretty old, i guess i have it over 6 years already. i heard people fixed it when they bought a new keyboard. but This one works completely fine, except that bug.

JCF Member

Apr 15, 2010, 08:51 PM
I had a small feature idea when dueling on ZD. As everyone who isn't an admin asks for admin pass, couldn't there be a feature that gives admins ability to grant temporary admin rights to anyone they see as a enough trustworthy, so that they could play their own game when the current admin idles. The temporary admin would log off after a set time or when the original admin who granted it quits the server.

What do you think?
DanZeal

JCF Member

Apr 15, 2010, 09:13 PM
Every user on JJ.net are able to see atleast a password to a very restricted admin group.
So just ask them to register on JJ.net.

ZStats

JCF Member

Apr 15, 2010, 09:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J96 View Post
I had a small feature idea when dueling on ZD. As everyone who isn't an admin asks for admin pass, couldn't there be a feature that gives admins ability to grant temporary admin rights to anyone they see as a enough trustworthy, so that they could play their own game when the current admin idles. The temporary admin would log off after a set time or when the original admin who granted it quits the server.

What do you think?
Right now, a good alternative might be to take advantage of the new admin groups feature. In fact, admin.ini already has a "limited" admin group set up, which may be sufficient. Or it could be made even more restricted, by only allowing commands which are needed to change the level. This way, a special admin pass could be given out to anyone trustworthy, without any serious worries about abuse. Full admin powers would be limited to the people who have it now, and they would use the regular password.

Edit: Heh, seems DanZeal already had this idea, or one like it. Well, that just shows it's a good one.
-:-Darker-:-

JCF Member

-:-Darker-:- is doing well so far

Apr 17, 2010, 02:48 AM
Wow, there are updates this recent for this game? Awesome! I'll install the patch and test it on various machines later, though I can imagine an older game would run into issues with DirectX and all the various client sided changes since the old days.

How does JJ2 and this patch fare on Windows 7 Ultimate x64 with a, lets say.... 9800GT Nvidia card?

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Apr 17, 2010, 02:54 AM
Just fine, JJ2 doesn't really use your graphics card anyway.
-:-Darker-:-

JCF Member

-:-Darker-:- is doing well so far

Apr 17, 2010, 02:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stijn View Post
Yes, because I completely mentioned the old card because I am worried or concerned about capabilities to run such high end graphics!

Just concerned about compatibility with more modern systems, is all.

JCF Member

Apr 17, 2010, 04:38 PM
JJ2 has no problem with windows 7, and having a 64 bit processor won't affect anything.

JCF Member

Apr 17, 2010, 09:19 PM
You know the random chat text bug I mentioned? It's caused by pressing CTRL+@ (or CTRL+SHIFT+2) which is a control code that creates a character equal to 0. JJ2 has a function that returns a character from a queue, but it returns 0 when the queue is empty. When 't' is pressed to open up the chat field, JJ2 attempts to clear the queue (since no characters are removed from the queue when the chat field isn't visible) by calling the function until the return value is 0. But the function may return a character equaling 0 resulting in the queue not being cleared completely, and this causes the bug to appear. FawFul helped me to figure it out, and the next update will have the fix.
Gameplay Theories.
SC2.

JCF Member

Slaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHART

Apr 18, 2010, 05:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stijn View Post
Literally, JJ2 does use your graphics card, but only for features that are common in any 'modern' system.

I've got one Toshiba notebook from 1995 that still works, with a 486DX on 75Mhz and 24MB RAM. This is the only system I have that doesn't run JJ2 very well. It misses 'MMX support' and 16-bit colors, and still runs on an awful framerate. Even turning the light effects off does only improve framerate by 5 to 10. Honestly, using Plus actually breaks it because it appears to use more memory than the original JJ2 code. But I'm talking about an ancient system here with 24MB of memory..

JCF Member

Black Ninja is an asset to this forumBlack Ninja is an asset to this forum

Apr 18, 2010, 07:45 AM
Random whining related to graphics: I finally got my shiny new GTX 470, and then played JJ2 to test out a forthcoming level pack (which might be out next year or so). Anyway, imagine my surprise when it didn't run at a full 60 FPS. I'm going to assume it's just some sort of driver issue with the new card, but still - surprising that JJ2 doesn't run full-speed when nearly anything else does.

EDIT: For the record, Windows 7 x64.

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Apr 18, 2010, 08:31 AM
Wind Meister 8?

JCF Member

Treylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legend

Apr 18, 2010, 08:36 AM
Hmm, I'd think it'd be nice if you had a "to-do" list here on the first page of this thread so we'd know what things you're fixing on, maybe perhaps put already-known bugs and suggestions at the top which will probably be fixed in the next plus.

So anyway, I had an idea and a reason why when I morph from Lori to Jazz, he always has green fur and then morphing to Spaz always gives me a green gun. Oh and that Lori's clothing changes the colour of airboard, even as Jazz or Spaz if you start as her. Screenshots will come soon.

Anyway, the reason why I think when you morph from her that Jazz/Spaz always gets something green, is because since the choice of changing the colour of Lori's eyes have been "sacrificed", by that means would determine the colour of Jazzes fur, and Spazzes gun. I didn't know sacrificing eye colour would actually do this. I'm not so sure what's causing Lori's fur to not work when you morph if you start as Jazz/Spaz though. Also, Lori's clothing will always be default if you morph starting as Jazz/Spaz too. This is because starting as Jazz/Spaz gives you the default purple airboard...you cannot change the colour of Lori's clothing this way. Editing colour of airboard as Jazz/Spaz is not possible. Ah, so what if we had FIVE editing options? For example, let's say Spaz had 5 editing options; Fur, chest fur, gun, shoes and airboard. Or Lori: Fur, clothing/airboard, gun, gun tip, eyes. Wait...I'm not sure if that's even possible to do. Sorry if you already know about this, but at least some others here probably don't know about it yet anyway.

I think I asked this before. While it's not that much of an issue really, there could be some /wk off and /wk on option (wallkick off and wallkick on). In other words fixing the through thin walls glitch with Lori. Where this glitch is a problem is some streetfight levels have thin walls...certainly not to go through, but just a plain dead-end in them. And sometimes I end up getting stuck in them, and it's hard to get out. That to be said, it's actually more useful than annoying, but it'd be nice to fix sometime in the future. It doesn't bother me that much though.
Annie[MG]

Apr 18, 2010, 11:26 AM
Very nice work, blur

Well...I have to say that this new + is the best of all +'ses that you ever made blur.
Good work and continue in making new features! good luck

JCF Member

Apr 18, 2010, 02:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treylina View Post
Hmm, I'd think it'd be nice if you had a "to-do" list here on the first page of this thread so we'd know what things you're fixing on, maybe perhaps put already-known bugs and suggestions at the top which will probably be fixed in the next plus.
Maybe one day, but that's of course assuming people will read it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treylina
So anyway, I had an idea and a reason why when I morph from Lori to Jazz, he always has green fur and then morphing to Spaz always gives me a green gun. Oh and that Lori's clothing changes the colour of airboard, even as Jazz or Spaz if you start as her. Screenshots will come soon.
I simply forgot to account for character morphs. The next version of JJ2+ will have this bug fixed. By the way, I didn't originally want Lori's airboard color to change with her clothes color. It's just a limitation of the improvements I made, though I imagine some people will like how it is now.

Quote:
Ah, so what if we had FIVE editing options? For example, let's say Spaz had 5 editing options; Fur, chest fur, gun, shoes and airboard. Or Lori: Fur, clothing/airboard, gun, gun tip, eyes. Wait...I'm not sure if that's even possible to do. Sorry if you already know about this, but at least some others here probably don't know about it yet anyway.
It's not really worth adding an additional edit option especially considering all the other things I wish to implement but have been putting off.

Quote:
I think I asked this before. While it's not that much of an issue really, there could be some /wk off and /wk on option (wallkick off and wallkick on). In other words fixing the through thin walls glitch with Lori. Where this glitch is a problem is some streetfight levels have thin walls...certainly not to go through, but just a plain dead-end in them. And sometimes I end up getting stuck in them, and it's hard to get out. That to be said, it's actually more useful than annoying, but it'd be nice to fix sometime in the future. It doesn't bother me that much though.
If anything, I would disable Lori being able to kick through walls so that it's one less issue to worry about when creating levels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie[MG] View Post
Well...I have to say that this new + is the best of all +'ses that you ever made blur.
Good work and continue in making new features! good luck
Thanks, compliments are always appreciated.
Gameplay Theories.
SC2.

JCF Member

Apr 18, 2010, 08:07 PM
Quote:
In that case, ALL HAIL BLUR!

JCF Member

Apr 19, 2010, 12:49 AM
Quote:
If anything, I would disable Lori being able to kick through walls so that it's one less issue to worry about when creating levels.
nooo, my semi trix

Quote:
gj!!