Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

JJ2+ (Updated June 30, 2010)

JCF Member

Obi1mcd is OFF DA CHARTObi1mcd is OFF DA CHARTObi1mcd is OFF DA CHART

Oct 26, 2010, 05:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
Somebody could make a program that updates anims.j2a to give bases... Though three bases would need atleast 4 players on each team to work properly (Two for each enemy base(one carries the flag and one is readying on the base)). Or a flagcarrier could carry both enemy team's flags... which would place two flags on each base. Maybe I should draw a picture.
If you mean adding green or yellow bases, it would (probably) be simpler to have a palette swap of some sort. If JJ2 can do it for players, then it should work for other sprites, right?

JCF Member

DoubleGJ has disabled reputation

Oct 27, 2010, 03:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooba View Post
Also,I'm not sure but I think that the extra teams are going to be used only in team gamemodes without bases (i.e. TB, DOM, etc) because there are no sprites for green or yellow bases and flags. (And it's not as easy to just recolor them as it is with gem sprites)
It's not just that. Imagine how it would weirden up the gameplay. The results of more than two teams are simpler in team battle or domination, whereas in CTF you'd lose the balance of "if we have their flag and they don't have ours, we can score". For example, if you're on the red team, you have the green flag and the blue team has your flag, can you score or not? If not, how difficult it would be to score if you have to keep your flag safe for scoring from two or three different teams? Or if yes, would people exploit it by attacking always the team that doesn't have your flag?

Two Games Joined releases:
Control / Splinter (twin singles)
|| Ballistic Bunny (EP)
||
Beyond (maxi-single)
|| Beyond: Remixed (remix EP)
|| Inner Monsters OST (mini-album)
||
Shadows (album)

JCF Member

Toni should make better posts

Oct 27, 2010, 04:21 AM
It'll be weird but fun if instagib is on, and you're rts everytime. The point is to try to "put" any flag on your base when none carries your flag

JCF Member

Jgke is an asset to this forumJgke is an asset to this forum

Oct 27, 2010, 05:16 AM
Idea: one flag on every base, and both teams can capture that flag. If your flag is on base, you can score. Toni, I think you tried to explain this...?

JCF Member

Oct 27, 2010, 10:22 AM
yeah, but instead of "both" we can use "all"

JCF Member

Troglobite is a forum legendTroglobite is a forum legendTroglobite is a forum legend

Oct 27, 2010, 10:35 AM
If plus does implement more teams for CTF, it might be nice if it had a couple different options with that kind of thing. Maybe an option that allows you to carry multiple flags, and an option that decides whether you can score depending on who has your flag. People would probably figure out what works best from playing around with it then, if it works at all.

Lexicographer: Someone who writes dictionaries
Neophyte: A novice, or newbie
Hemisemidemiquaver: In music, a sixty-fourth note

Exit Troglobite, Stage Left

JCF Member

Jerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legend

Oct 27, 2010, 03:16 PM
I think the least confusing solution would be, if your team is able to score as long as their own flag is at the base.

Having the possibility to score depend on which team has captured your own flag would only introduce chaos as I don't think anyone can keep track of all the rules that would come with that.

Speaking about options, anther option could be to limit the number of flags each team can capture at a time. For example, if this limit is set to 2 and the red team has the blue and green flag, it will not be able to capture the yellow flag until one of the other two flags is either lost or 'brought home'.

JCF Member

GoldRabbit is an asset to this forumGoldRabbit is an asset to this forum

Oct 28, 2010, 07:56 AM
Another useful way to make this work would be going down the rock-paper-scissors path. Blue can't score if red team has their flag, red can't if yellow has their flag, yellow can't if green has their flag, and green can't if blue has their flag. That should have an option to be turned off, though.
because everybody plays the game this way

saints especially

JCF Member

HotRodGR is notorious for his worthless posts

Oct 30, 2010, 07:29 AM
How about respawn delay...? It's been in so many other multiplayer games, why not jj2...? Of course it would be togglable and the time could be set with commands.

JCF Member

Oct 30, 2010, 08:37 AM
you can set respawn delay in JCS, and can make it double faster in JJ2 with /fastammorespawn on command . I am not sure is it possible to set respawn delay through the game, because I believe if it is possible, blur could make it. And because it couldn't, blur made only /fastammorespawn.

JCF Member

Jerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legend

Oct 30, 2010, 10:06 AM
I think HotRodGR is talking about the respawning of players here.

JCF Member

Oct 30, 2010, 10:32 AM
hmm, I am not so sure. If he is talking about it, I really wanna ask what will happen if spawn time is 10 seconds? you will look at black screen for 10 seconds and see countdowning? Ehh why will JJ2 need this?

JCF Member

Troglobite is a forum legendTroglobite is a forum legendTroglobite is a forum legend

Oct 30, 2010, 11:25 AM
I'm pretty sure that's what he's referring to. I play games where the spawn time is frequently over 10 seconds, and it really serves to make getting a kill a bit more useful. For example, in a 2v2 or something, it would become useful to kill the guy who's not carrying the flag, so he couldn't get ready to capture again for at least ten seconds, and scoring would be easier. And in most other games I can think of, when you die, you usually temporarily spectate, so it's not boring as looking at a black screen.

JCF Member

Grytolle is a forum legendGrytolle is a forum legendGrytolle is a forum legend

Oct 30, 2010, 01:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodGR View Post
How about respawn delay...? It's been in so many other multiplayer games, why not jj2...? Of course it would be togglable and the time could be set with commands.
On mulch!

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Oct 30, 2010, 01:54 PM
It would be pretty good to have in gamemodes like Domination or Flag Run, though.

JCF Member

Foly has disabled reputation

Oct 30, 2010, 02:27 PM
This would change the gameplay a lot, it would stimulate using skills instead of camping. If you are waiting you could be able to switch between spectating your own body, the other players and the flags (all optional). Ofcourse this could be turned off/on and the time can be changed with a command.
[13:07:13] *** Foly is on a KILLING SPREE!
[13:07:14] *** you killed yourself
[13:07:14] *** Foly was looking good but died instead...

JCF Member

Dermo should make better posts

Oct 30, 2010, 06:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni View Post
you can set respawn delay in JCS, and can make it double faster in JJ2 with /fastammorespawn on command . I am not sure is it possible to set respawn delay through the game, because I believe if it is possible, blur could make it. And because it couldn't, blur made only /fastammorespawn.
Honestly, as useful as this post may be, you could easily just make the start position(s) in a triggered 10 second countdown. Then after 10 seconds you're warped to whereever the normal spawn-point could be. Adding the command to plus would just encourage laziness.

Do you like Stijn? Take my poll!

Windows is not a virus. A virus is small and efficient...

Note to Stijn: how am i even getting away with this

JCF Member

Oct 30, 2010, 09:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dermo View Post
Honestly, as useful as this post may be, you could easily just make the start position(s) in a triggered 10 second countdown. Then after 10 seconds you're warped to whereever the normal spawn-point could be. Adding the command to plus would just encourage laziness.
Yeah. Imagine how much laziness would be encouraged if plus allowed you to set the next level to whatever you wanted, so you didn't have to manually modify the next level field in JCS. Or if it allowed you to change the gamemode, so you could be lazy and type /gamemode ctf instead of closing the server, and hosting a new one and hoping everyone rejoins.

JCF Member

Obi1mcd is OFF DA CHARTObi1mcd is OFF DA CHARTObi1mcd is OFF DA CHART

Oct 30, 2010, 11:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dermo View Post
Also, what if the levels aren't designed for it?

JCF Member

Oct 31, 2010, 06:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrythabest View Post
I think HotRodGR is talking about the respawning of players here.
Correct.

I actually came up with it by remembering how you could sometimes get out of the jail in JB if you iced the spring moments before you died. This would surely help fixing that. And yes, it would also work well with Flag Run or even DOM. I realize it could also be done by proper level making (what Dermo said) but the most famous and played levels so far don't have that little feature...

Also a nice "You will respawn in # seconds" message while standing-by in spectator mode would help.

JCF Member

Oct 31, 2010, 08:37 AM
Sorry because I didn't understand it correctly.

In CTF (and other gamemodes) it would be bad to spectate. You will have a chance to see where the other players are. Maybe if you can spectate only your team. But there's a Camera Mode program what allows you to move through the level 1/2/3/4 tiles when spectating, so you can see your enemies if you're forced to spectate only your team. Because of it, the best solution would be to look at black screen. You get the black screen everytime you die, so it can be longer.

JCF Member

Grytolle is a forum legendGrytolle is a forum legendGrytolle is a forum legend

Oct 31, 2010, 09:24 AM
You underestimate how bad it is to be gone for 5 seconds in CTF... Seeing the enemies hardly compensates for it

JCF Member

Oct 31, 2010, 01:15 PM
It could have a function to turn it on and off. I think it's a nice add-on because it might even stimulates using skills instead of suiciding a lot (wich is fun btw).
minmay

JCF Member

minmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesome

Oct 31, 2010, 02:23 PM
You also underestimate how annoying it would be to stare at a black screen for even 10 seconds every time you die.

Ideally it would be toggleable between spectating and no spectating; I'd expect it would just check whether ordinary spectating is allowed.

As for the idea of a respawn delay itself, I support it. It would certainly make Domination, Assault, and Bank Robbery more interesting, among others.
kentlove

JCF Member

kentlove is notorious for his worthless posts

Nov 1, 2010, 09:08 PM
hello.... thank you...

JCF Member

Speeza is an asset to this forumSpeeza is an asset to this forum

Nov 2, 2010, 01:19 AM
These bots are now getting more annoying than they are funny. It's signature is pretty swell however.

I agree with mimmay that a spectate approach would be better than a stare at a black screen for some seconds.

Your friendly JCF Hillybilly
DavidkazBest poster of 2010 ! [GpW]

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Nov 2, 2010, 02:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by minmay View Post
You also underestimate how annoying it would be to stare at a black screen for even 10 seconds every time you die.

Ideally it would be toggleable between spectating and no spectating; I'd expect it would just check whether ordinary spectating is allowed.
Ideally, the camera would remain in the same place you died, showing the corpse, and no longer fully black.

5 seconds would be a better choice than 10, I think (10 seconds in MP is a really long time when you think of it)
minmay

JCF Member

minmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesome

Nov 2, 2010, 05:22 AM
I would assume that the time would be customizable as well.

JCF Member

Nov 2, 2010, 07:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foly View Post
It could have a function to turn it on and off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by minmay View Post
I would assume that the time would be customizable as well.
I love how you read the previous posts carefully...

Quote:
Of course it would be togglable and the time could be set with commands.
The stare-at-black-screen idea isn't the best, being able to toggle between your corpse and spectating your teammates (with admin commands) would indeed be a lot better.

I just wonder if blur approves...

JCF Member

Nov 2, 2010, 09:26 AM
Blur doesn't have to approve, we'll just bug him until he does this. (Though, getting his approval is easier)
minmay

JCF Member

Nov 3, 2010, 06:18 AM
Quote:
I love how you read the previous posts carefully...
Foly was only talking about turning the respawn delay on and off, whereas I was talking about being able to set the delay to a specific number of seconds.

JCF Member

Nov 13, 2010, 12:44 AM
Is it possible to make a command /abletorun on/off? It would allow people in the server to use run or not (which would be fun because you will get other kind of battles and less airs).
LegendaryDreamer

JCF Member

LegendaryDreamer is notorious for his worthless posts

Nov 14, 2010, 06:04 PM
If this feature hasn't already been suggested:

What about the use of an already-existing JCS event set with certain parameters to change the music for players offline on a single-player/co-op level? It would be very useful, say for example, if you put the players against a boss and want a song other than boss1 or boss2 playing. A similar thing was done using Text events on easy or hard in Domination mode.

I would enter the Text event in JCS and set its ID. For this example, I use ID no 2.

Code:
0: "@@@ Level made by Jimbob. ..."
1:
2: "/cm anguish.xm"
3:
4: "@@@@Fquist ate my gameboy."
This would set the music to anguish.xm the moment the player touches the Text event with the ID of number 2.

[Edit] Maybe it would be cool for online sp or co-op as well.

Last edited by LegendaryDreamer; Nov 14, 2010 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Something more to think about.

JCF Member

FreeFull is doing well so far

Nov 20, 2010, 07:31 AM
I don't know if this has been suggested before, but it would be nice if there was an option to stop the other players from displaying. This would only be useful for tests, and probably would have to be enabled explicitly every time you join the server, but would be useful for when it's too crowded to even see where you are anymore

JCF Veteran

Nov 20, 2010, 07:58 AM
lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
=(

Should come along with /abletosee. You'll get other kind of battles and won't be able to tell if there were airs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeFull View Post
I don't know if this has been suggested before, but it would be nice if there was an option to stop the other players from displaying. This would only be useful for tests, and probably would have to be enabled explicitly every time you join the server, but would be useful for when it's too crowded to even see where you are anymore
I love this thread.

JCF Member

Nov 28, 2010, 01:44 PM
/check (filename), would output information that does the level have start positions, is the level/tileset corrupted or is the level 1.23 or 1.24.

JCF Veteran

Nov 29, 2010, 04:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
/check (filename), would output information that does the level have start positions, is the level/tileset corrupted or is the level 1.23 or 1.24.
Why not do that every time the server tries to /c or /n to (filename)?

JCF Member

Nov 29, 2010, 05:32 AM
Good point. JJ2+ could /c back to the previous level if the level crashes.
mao

JCF Member

mao is doing well so far

Dec 15, 2010, 07:37 PM
Hmmm I've seen some bots sending chat messages, is this done via plus (I can't see the option) or somehow else?

JCF Member

Dec 15, 2010, 08:35 PM
It's done with JJM.
Closed Thread