Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Maintenance & Feedback » Site and Forum Rules, Questions & Feedback

More Forums?

JCF Veteran

Tubz is doing well so far

Jan 3, 2003, 11:10 AM
More Forums?

I was thinking about:

-C++ Forum (Yeah I know, what happened. But revive and keep it)
-Web Page Building & Html forum
-Visual Basic forum.
-Other computing languages forum.

"Jewel is the Metallica of Yodelling." ~Edwin McCain
"Yes, it's a personal attack if you save my picture about internet safety" ~Labratkid
"You know what JBL? The only reason you were WWE Champion for a year was because Triple H didn't want to work Tuesdays!" ~Paul Heyman, addressing the public at the "ECW: One Night Stand" PPV on Sunday, June 12, 2005
Trafton

JCF Member

Trafton is an asset to this forum

Jan 3, 2003, 11:13 AM
Re: More Forums?

Quote:
Originally posted by JJ Tublear
I was thinking about:

-C++ Forum (Yeah I know, what happened. But revive and keep it)
-Web Page Building & Html forum
-Visual Basic forum.
-Other computing languages forum.
I haven't seen many computer language-related topics. I think that putting them in Misc. is good enough.

Untitled

Link is doing well so far

Jan 3, 2003, 11:56 AM
We can't have a forum for everything. You might want to find another message board completely devoted to topics like that (I'm sure there are lots). Though I do agree that topics in Misc that only small groups are interested in get pushed down really quickly.
There still remains that strange precipitate
Which has the quality to resist
Our oldest and most trusted catalyst.
It is a substance we cannot cremate
By temperatures known to our Laboratory.

~ E.J. Pratt

JCF Member

Haze is doing well so far

Jan 3, 2003, 01:29 PM
No offence but there are other forums out there for that kind of stuff. And JJ related coding issues can always, as mentioned, be discussed in either misc or v1.25 development.

JCF Veteran

Xion is doing well so far

Jan 5, 2003, 11:07 AM
WE NEED A FORUM! SOMEPLACE WHERE WE CAN RANT!

Derby: Severe filter bypass removal. Review the guidelines. This is a subwarning.

Last edited by Derby; Jan 5, 2003 at 02:05 PM.
Trafton

JCF Member

Jan 5, 2003, 11:29 AM
I think that Misc. is good enough for rants. Most rants just turn out like normal Misceallenous topics. It is often hard to differentiate the normal posts from the rants.

JCF Veteran

Jan 5, 2003, 11:46 AM
okay I guess...

*Nice Derby...Don't ban the cute Xion...*

JCF Member

Jan 5, 2003, 12:25 PM
While on the topic of new forums, will there be a JJGBA forum? There have not been that many topics, but there will probably be eventually. It would be nice to have one, though I doubt it would be extremely active.

JCF Veteran

Jan 5, 2003, 12:43 PM
I dunno...I'm already on Icebox3 ATM.

JCF Member

Tik is doing well so far

Jan 7, 2003, 09:12 AM
If they create a JJGBA Forum...why not create a Jazz 1 forum? How about neither. I think the GJJ2T forum is good enough for all of these.

As far as different programming languages, you could kind of have a forum about these. I don't know if it has been mentioned, but in the Possum forum a few of us were presenting the idea of a Fangame forum since Possum is more or less dead and there are up and coming Fangames. Also in this forum, since it involves programming new games, you could post questions related to different languages. I know a lot of people on here have experience in programming on at least some levels, so I think it would be beneficial and more interesting for a Fangame forum.
<a href="/junk/tick/tickbot.html">readme</a> - <a href="/junk/tick/quote.html">quotes</a> - <a href="/junk/tick/rsg.html">formats</a> - are you brained? *\o/*</td><td width="1%" align="right"></td></tr></table>
Trafton

JCF Member

Jan 7, 2003, 12:08 PM
I don't think that five different forums all for programming languages would be good. In fact, one would be more than necessary. After all, this isn't a programming language board (if that were to happen, programming language forums would almost outnumber JJ2 forums.) I do like the idea of changing Possum Forest to a fan games forum. Fan games topics seem to be posted a lot, and Possum is too inactive. I like the idea.

JCF Member

Haze is doing well so far

Jan 8, 2003, 02:51 AM
I second that idea. For all the reasons listed and it would indeed eliminate the need for seperate "programming"-forums.

JCF Éminence Grise

Radium is an asset to this forum

Jan 8, 2003, 03:46 AM
I agree. Possum whould be replaced with a programming/fangame forum. Since possum was a fangame, you could keep the messages there.
And we also need a forum where Wild Angle can rant about her slightly disturbed views on life and society.

<i>"This picture shows me that the gray bird man is just a bully and picks on smaller birds. Just because he has no friends and takes it out on others smaller than him to look good. I can see in the parrats eyes that it does however have a understanding of the gray bird man and is upset about getting cut."</i> - Speeza on cartoon birds.

JCF Member

KRSplat is a forum legendKRSplat is a forum legend

Jan 8, 2003, 12:58 PM
We need a spam forum. That way nobody would have to see it.

JCF Member

Jan 8, 2003, 01:42 PM
I think that a spam forum would do nothing except increase the current rate of spam and give people a reason to think that spam is OK. Besides, it's really just a waste of database space.

JCF Veteran

Jan 8, 2003, 01:56 PM
yeah I also am sticking to the rant forum. This way people can just say what's on their mind, good or bad, and I can moderate it. I once held a three-page videogame flamewar in it's own thread so it didn't spill out into the other threads and get too out of hand.

I'd possibly have the most experience in a rant forum (I take part of one on the winamp forums, not the greatest name but I use it ENAT)

JCF Member

Jan 8, 2003, 02:23 PM
I'm not sure that a rant forum is a good idea. Most rants can fit perfectly well in Miscellaneous Stuff. In addition, the forum would probably become very unruly. After all, when you have an entire forum dedicated to ranting, there will probably be some fights that emerge. I think keeping them all in Misc. is good enough. Besides, Comedy Cafe and Miscellaneous Stuff are already close enough. Can you imagine the arguments? - "Hey! This isn't angry enough! THIS IS NO RANT!!! MOVE THIS TO MISC!!!!!!"

JCF Éminence Grise

Jan 8, 2003, 02:31 PM
Xion? Mod? HAHAHAHHAHAHAR! I'd sooner become a mod! You're a militmeter away from being banned!

Hey.... can I be a mod?

<i>"This picture shows me that the gray bird man is just a bully and picks on smaller birds. Just because he has no friends and takes it out on others smaller than him to look good. I can see in the parrats eyes that it does however have a understanding of the gray bird man and is upset about getting cut."</i> - Speeza on cartoon birds.
Trafton

JCF Member

Jan 10, 2003, 11:28 AM
I think that the JCF has enough forums as it is. Other than changing Possum into a fan game forum, there isn't much that I'd like to see change as of now. Also, you all seem to not know the golden rule. ;P

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Jan 10, 2003, 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Radium
I agree. Possum whould be replaced with a programming/fangame forum. Since possum was a fangame, you could keep the messages there.
How many times do we have to go through this.. Possum is not a fangame in your definition of the word, but a seperate project being created by members of the JJ2 community.

Quote:
And we also need a forum where Wild Angle can rant about her slightly disturbed views on life and society.
No personal attacks, please.

JCF Member

Jan 10, 2003, 01:51 PM
While I agree about Possum not being a fangame, it still is a game that the community is very much interested in. Even though it isn't actually a fan game by the strict definition of the term, it would make a good fangame forum in my opinion. After all, it's really inactive.

JCF Member

Iam Canadian is doing well so far

Jan 10, 2003, 02:43 PM
Yeah, the Possum forum is just gathering cyber-dust. I also think it should become a fangame forum. Someone should take this up with the admins.

JCF Veteran

Jan 11, 2003, 02:00 PM
...yeah I guess I couldn't become a mod...but...Radi have you ever had any experience with being a mod, let alone an admin of a board you didn't create? Talk with Neb about the DJ thing...

Like I said, I think I have the most experience with a rant forum, keeping arguments and flames and rants seperate from other parts of the board. I maintained a huge argument about "What console is best" without being a mod.

BTW, Unknown...That wasn't an attack...That was the truth.

JCF Member

Jan 11, 2003, 02:01 PM
Apparently no one here knows the golden rule:

Quote:
If you ask to be a mod, you can't be one.
I think a rants forum would be a bad idea. It would result in flamewars.

JCF Member

KRSplat is a forum legendKRSplat is a forum legend

Jan 12, 2003, 05:11 AM
In the words of somebody a long time ago, I don't remember who: The best way not to become an admin is to ask.

JCF Member

dopeh has disabled reputation

Jan 12, 2003, 06:56 AM
True.
-[phpBB] phpBB pwns j00

Oh, and don't forget to drink yer milk, yeh milkless c0w. m00!
Xion

JCF Veteran

Jan 12, 2003, 04:36 PM
although I'm not making a request, it's an offer. If you ever make a forum and you need a mod, check my Resumé. Nowhere did I ask to become a mod, I'm just saying I'd be a candadite. (sp?)

JCF Member

Jan 12, 2003, 08:33 PM
Regardless of who would be the moderator, I'm still against the idea of a rants forum. It just is not needed. Anything in there could fit into Misc. perfectly fine. "Rants" is not specialized enough. I know that it has worked on other boards, but they have more traffic and less strict rules. I just can't see it working very well for the JCF. That's my two cents, at least.

JCF Éminence Grise

Jan 13, 2003, 03:56 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Xion
although I'm not making a request, it's an offer. If you ever make a forum and you need a mod, check my Resumé. Nowhere did I ask to become a mod, I'm just saying I'd be a candadite. (sp?)
From Radium's Mental Dictionary:
Candadite: The mineral of which Canadians are made.

JCF Member

Newspaz has disabled reputation

Jan 13, 2003, 11:34 AM
*votes for the "replace possum forest with a fangame development forum" option * Fan games keep communities alive, take a look at keen!
Trafton

JCF Member

Jan 13, 2003, 11:42 AM
I agree with Newspaz. Fangames are a lot of what keeps communities alive. If there was a designated place to discuss the development and creation of fangames, I'm sure more involved efforts would emerge. Not only does this help keep the community alive, but it also provides a location for discussions revolving around possible game ideas. The Possum forum really is just sitting there now, and I think there would be great gain from making it into a Possum and Fangame forum, even if Possum isn't a fangame by the strictest definition.

JCF Éminence Grise

Jan 13, 2003, 12:17 PM
Yay! Now all we have to do is convince the admins!

Xion

JCF Veteran

Jan 13, 2003, 01:48 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Trafton
I know that it has worked on other boards, but they have more traffic and less strict rules.
Yeah I guess...Could we have a rant forum when Derby retires?

JCF Member

Jan 13, 2003, 01:50 PM
The forum rules are the same, with or without Derby. Derby just edits the most; that does not mean that he is the only administrator that upholds the rules. A rant forum might be O.K. on message boards with more posters, but it is so close to Miscellaneous that I think it would just cause problems and flamewars. While it would be nice to have a "Annoying Flamewars" forum that could easily be completely avoided, it just would not work out, in my opinion.

JCF Éminence Grise

Jan 13, 2003, 02:27 PM
Trafton should propose the idea of renaming the Possum forum to the moderators. Trafton is practically a moderator, anyway.

JCF Member

Tik is doing well so far

Jan 14, 2003, 06:03 AM
Well hopefully at least one of the admins have seen this thread and are discussing it in their private forum. Personally I don't see why they won't go ahead and just do it...from now on I'm gonna call the Possum Forum the Fangame forum. And btw, it *does* need a new moderator. Roaster is dead.
&lt;table width=&quot;100%&quot;&gt;&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td valign=&quot;top&quot;&gt;&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.jj2.info&quot; title=&quot;waaaait&quot; style=&quot;font-size: 14pt;font-family: Verdana;text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;penny on the train track&lt;/a&gt;
&lt;a href=&quot;/junk/tick/tickbot.html&quot;&gt;readme&lt;/a&gt; - &lt;a href=&quot;/junk/tick/quote.html&quot;&gt;quotes&lt;/a&gt; - &lt;a href=&quot;/junk/tick/rsg.html&quot;&gt;formats&lt;/a&gt; - are you brained? *\o/*&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td width=&quot;1%&quot; align=&quot;right&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;&lt;/table&gt;
Trafton

JCF Member

Jan 14, 2003, 02:00 PM
I agree. Roaster has not been on the JCF in over a year. Maybe someone who is active in the fangame community could moderate it. There is still some chance that Skitch will eventually happen, but at the current pace, the forum would be better used for fangame-related discussion. The only thing is that Skitch isn't technically a fangame. A fangame is usually defined as a game that is an offshoot of another (JJ2, in this case). Skitch doesn't have much to do with Jazz, other than that Jazz community members are working on it (sort of.) As for making it a programming forum, I'm not sure. Game Programming would make sense. However, a General Programming and Fangame forum would have topics ranging from Possum to HTML Coding, which would be a bit too wide of a topic span. Still, I'm definitely for Possum becoming a Fangame forum. It isn't doing much right now except for, well, playing possum.

JCF Éminence Grise

Jan 14, 2003, 02:41 PM
I doubt I'd be made a moderator, but I'm really the only one currently doing any fangames.

Xion

JCF Veteran

Jan 15, 2003, 01:56 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Radium
I doubt I'd be made a moderator, but I'm really the only one currently doing any fangames.
I second that opinion. Radium is the only person I know on this forum to be doing anything related to a fangame...Although I too know how to do what he's doing, I'm just not doing it.

JCF Éminence Grise

Jan 15, 2003, 01:58 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Xion
I second that opinion. Radium is the only person I know on this forum to be doing anything related to a fangame...Although I too know how to do what he's doing, I'm just not doing it.
No, you just know how to use RPG2k =P. I'm also working on my platform game and a suprise project I don't actually plan to finish.