Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » JCS & Scripting

A standard for tilesets

JCF Member

Hare has disabled reputation

Feb 26, 2017, 11:57 AM
A standard for tilesets

I was thinking about tilesets yesterday and got to thinking about a standard for tileset creation.

If I were to start a tileset, there are a lot of elements that I would want to add that would be the same for every tileset I create. Destructible blocks, poles, coin warps. When thinking about this, I would want to just make a template that I could build off of instead of recreating everything. It just saves time.

So I thought further and I figured that there are a lot of other standard features you can expect to see in a tileset. If I had all of those figured out ahead of time and their placement on the tile map, I could save even more time in planning out the tileset (which is one of the harder parts for me). There's also the benefit of being able to easily swap sets in a level if all the features are in the same place between sets.

Does something like this already exist?

"Okay. I'm Understand" - burnout92

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Feb 26, 2017, 01:07 PM
Resources that come to mind: 1, 2

A standardized tileset layout would have some severe limitations, I think. Diamondus, for instance, has six different basic floor tiles; Castle has three; Tubelectric has one. Rearranging their layouts isn't going to help you switch between them there. Or look at something like Graesy... it has a massive number of different connection tiles at the top that most tilesets don't have any analogs for. And that's without getting into trying to swap between, say, Diamondus, where floors are only one tile high; Jungle, where they're two; and Colonius, where they're three.