Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

How to run Jazz Jackrabbit 2 on Windows 10 fullscreen @70 Hz?

paranoidroid

JCF Member

paranoidroid has disabled reputation

Jun 26, 2020, 12:39 AM
How to run Jazz Jackrabbit 2 on Windows 10 fullscreen @70 Hz?

Hi.

I'm really sensitive to smooth scrolling. I want to play Jazz Jackrabbit 2 again, but the fact that the game engine renders at 70 fps internally no matter the refresh rate is causing scrolling that is not at all smooth. On Windows 10 all of the fullscreen resolutions supported by the game have a refresh rate of 60 Hz. If I press F9 twice I can see that the game's fps are locked at 60, but it's clear that the egine still renders at 70 fps internally. To prove this to myself I ran the game in windowed mode and have set my desktop resolution to 800x600@70Hz. Then the fps counter is locked at 70 and the game is as smooth as I want it to be. But windowed mode is just not immersive enough for me. I have also tried it with JJ2+ mod and all this does is that the framerate is locked at 120. The game is still not rendered at that rate, because the scrolling is not smooth. Interestingly the game menu animation respects the refresh rate and is scrolling smoothly no matter which refresh rate I have set and if I am in the fullscreen mode or windowed. So that part they made so that it renders at the current refresh rate. The game itself is 70 fps always.

I have tried various ddraw wrappers to try and convince the game to switch to 640x480@70Hz when fullscreen but I had no luck so far. It's always 640x480@60Hz or 640x400@60Hz, etc.
dgVoodoo doesn't enumerate all of the refresh rates my monitor supports, so it doesn't help either.

Does anyone have a suggestion for me?
Thank you in advance.
paranoidroid

JCF Member

paranoidroid has disabled reputation

Jun 28, 2020, 01:48 PM
I am going to answer my own question.
I finally did it!
Here's how:
- change desktop resolution to 640x480@70Hz
- copy dgVoodooCpl.exe and its DDraw.dll to the folder of Jazz2.exe
- run dgVoodooCpl.exe
- switch to DirectX tab and under Resolution enter 640x480
- click OK
- run Jazz2.exe
Enjoy butter smooth scrolling!
It also works with 800x600@70Hz that JJ2+ supports!

You have no idea how happy I am.
I'm going to play all of the episodes now.