Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

Reviving the Jazz Jackrabbit Wiki

Magma Dragoon

JCF Member

Magma Dragoon has disabled reputation

Mar 1, 2018, 09:17 AM
Reviving the Jazz Jackrabbit Wiki

(the Wikia-based one, not the one hosted here)

First of all hello to everyone! I'm a longtime wiki editor and administrator of various wikis. I recently got interested in adopting the Jazz Wiki, both because I was playing the GOG releases and because I decided to look for some info and found that barren, abandoned place.

If you guys have suggestions, can point me out to relevant links and resources or just wish me good luck it's all very appreciated! I'll also definitely link back to this site once the adoption is approved.

JCF Member

Treylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legend

Mar 1, 2018, 11:55 AM
I've been wanting to work on the wiki here, but editing has been disabled for godknows how long.

(Stijn plz).

Jazz Jackrabbit group: https://discord.gg/vZm95tQ
Magma Dragoon

JCF Member

Mar 1, 2018, 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooba View Post
Hi.

My suggestion would be to not use Wikia by any circumstance.
I've had no problems with Wikia in the 10+ years I've been editing there, thank you very much.

JCF Member

Jelly Jam is doing well so far

Mar 1, 2018, 01:56 PM
I have nothing against Wikia but I think Jazz should just have his standalone wiki here on Jazz2online, where the center of the community is and where there are already a lot of finished articles.

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Mar 1, 2018, 03:38 PM
I am obviously biased here, but I see little reason to recommend Wikia over Jazz2Online's own wiki, which has a headstart on Wikia, content-wise, and no shitty ads (and other disadvantages Wikia has). So I would strongly advise everyone to not spend time and effort on replicating what already exists here. Magma Dragoon, why do you want to re-invent the wheel?

That said, as TreyLina indicates editing is currently disabled for most accounts by default, after we had some issues with spambots a while ago. But if you want to edit pages, just ask me. The wiki is a little rough around the edges, but mostly functional and contains a wealth of information. An updated version that solves some long-standing problems is in the works and will be released alongside a bigger site update later this year. But again, if you want to edit things right now, just ask me.

If you see any issues with the wiki right now, let me know too - they might be easy to fix.
Magma Dragoon

JCF Member

Mar 1, 2018, 04:52 PM
It's not my plan to replace the wiki currently here, nor creating a wiki from scratch, since the wiki on Wikia already exists and I'm just adopting it. Like I said I'm already a long-time editor on Wikia and administer quite a few of them (mostly gaming-related wikis like Metal Slug, Gradius and Tyrian, as well as the Villains Wiki), and I fully understand some people have issues with Wikia (about the ads, that's what AdBlock exists for). I could say I know what I'm doing.

Like I said I don't want to replace the wiki here or replicate/copy it (I'm strongly against plagiarism). I'm also not asking anyone to join there, it's not what I'm looking for here. I'm mostly in search of official sources, since Epic doesn't keep a official site for the series, and I was also hoping to find stuff from the boring GBA game (seems nobody likes to talk about it?).

By the way, I don't think therere aren't any problems with the wiki here, in fact it is great, so I'm looking forward to these future updates!
luke11685

Banned

luke11685 is doing well so far

Mar 1, 2018, 11:37 PM
I never saw before(in jazz jackrabbit comic books drawn by Nick Stadler)these two artworks of Eva Earlong(not third one from Jazz Jackrabbit 2 credits)one random pose of princess Eva Earlong and cartoon carrot juice with illustration that she's missing
http://jazzjackrabbit.wikia.com/wiki...arlong#Gallery it's really awesome.

Last edited by luke11685; Mar 2, 2018 at 04:11 AM.

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Mar 2, 2018, 01:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magma Dragoon View Post
It's not my plan to replace the wiki currently here, nor creating a wiki from scratch, since the wiki on Wikia already exists and I'm just adopting it. Like I said I'm already a long-time editor on Wikia and administer quite a few of them (mostly gaming-related wikis like Metal Slug, Gradius and Tyrian, as well as the Villains Wiki), and I fully understand some people have issues with Wikia (about the ads, that's what AdBlock exists for). I could say I know what I'm doing.

Like I said I don't want to replace the wiki here or replicate/copy it (I'm strongly against plagiarism). I'm also not asking anyone to join there, it's not what I'm looking for here. I'm mostly in search of official sources, since Epic doesn't keep a official site for the series, and I was also hoping to find stuff from the boring GBA game (seems nobody likes to talk about it?).

By the way, I don't think therere aren't any problems with the wiki here, in fact it is great, so I'm looking forward to these future updates!
Well, ironically the best source at this point would probably be the J2O wiki, and to a lesser extent various interviews and forum threads here, hence my reservations. There are no "official" sources any more (not that there ever were many), apart from an unrewarding, partly archived version of jazzjackrabbit.com on The Internet Archive, and maybe some Epic MegaNews archives you may be able to find elsewhere.

Since you say you're adopting the Jazz2 Wikia, can I ask you to change its background? It was taken from Jazz2Online without permission, and can give the impression that it's affiliated with us, which it isn't.

JCF Member

Seren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to all

Mar 2, 2018, 03:52 AM
Quote:
It's not my plan to replace the wiki currently here, nor creating a wiki from scratch, since the wiki on Wikia already exists and I'm just adopting it.

Like I said I don't want to replace the wiki here or replicate/copy it (I'm strongly against plagiarism).
These seem contradictory since the existing wiki is little besides plagiarism.

Even just the front page contains a Did You Know section that consists mostly if not solely of verbatim text from the J2O Did You Know box at the bottom of its front page. See here for a captured list of J2O Did You Know facts from some point in time.

Having clicked the random page link a few times I got (without omitting any results besides duplicates):I hold a firm belief that the Wikia wiki was originally started with the intent to copy all J2O wiki content (including the background, as noted by Stijn). Presumably eventually some unaware editors joined and started adding original content.

This is not an attack aimed against you, or Wikia per se, but do keep in mind that if you wish to have a plagiarism-free wiki, you will have to purge most of the articles currently on there, leaving you with, if the sample above is of any indication, maybe 20 articles with any content in total. It's only slightly short of creating a wiki from scratch.

That said, I imagine it's better to have someone who appears relatively responsible in charge of it than the 10-year-old kid who I believe originally founded it, so good luck to you.

I am an official JJ2+ programmer and this has been an official JJ2+ statement.
luke11685

Banned

Mar 2, 2018, 04:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke11685 View Post
I never saw before(in jazz jackrabbit comic books drawn by Nick Stadler)these two artworks of Eva Earlong(not third one from Jazz Jackrabbit 2 credits)one random pose of princess Eva Earlong and cartoon carrot juice with illustration that she's missing
But is in 100% from old Jazz Jackrabbit comic books?Btw what about Jazz Jackrabbit ios demo jazzjackrabbit.wikia.com article?
Magma Dragoon

JCF Member

Mar 2, 2018, 05:35 AM
The adoption was a success, I'm the new admin and bureaucrat of the wiki and am already working to fix all stuff pointed here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke11685
Those are from the manuals, I got scans from a user on Hardcore Gaming 101.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stijn
Well, ironically the best source at this point would probably be the J2O wiki, and to a lesser extent various interviews and forum threads here, hence my reservations. There are no "official" sources any more (not that there ever were many), apart from an unrewarding, partly archived version of jazzjackrabbit.com on The Internet Archive, and maybe some Epic MegaNews archives you may be able to find elsewhere.

Since you say you're adopting the Jazz2 Wikia, can I ask you to change its background? It was taken from Jazz2Online without permission, and can give the impression that it's affiliated with us, which it isn't.
Well that's a bummer, but I'll be sure to scavenge those you mentioned.

I've already removed the background, I knew it was stolen from here anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ementaler
These seem contradictory since the existing wiki is little besides plagiarism.

Even just the front page contains a Did You Know section that consists mostly if not solely of verbatim text from the J2O Did You Know box at the bottom of its front page. See here for a captured list of J2O Did You Know facts from some point in time.

Having clicked the random page link a few times I got (without omitting any results besides duplicates):

* BIG LIST OF STUFF

I hold a firm belief that the Wikia wiki was originally started with the intent to copy all J2O wiki content (including the background, as noted by Stijn). Presumably eventually some unaware editors joined and started adding original content.

This is not an attack aimed against you, or Wikia per se, but do keep in mind that if you wish to have a plagiarism-free wiki, you will have to purge most of the articles currently on there, leaving you with, if the sample above is of any indication, maybe 20 articles with any content in total. It's only slightly short of creating a wiki from scratch.

That said, I imagine it's better to have someone who appears relatively responsible in charge of it than the 10-year-old kid who I believe originally founded it, so good luck to you.
* So I'm guessing all the planet pages (http://jazzjackrabbit.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Levels) were plagiarized?
* The GBA game page was originally empty, I'm currently working on it.
* Not sure where the name "Chuck" come from, though, the manual calls him Hip Hop.
* From my experience most smaller wikis start by plagiarizing stuff from someplace, and to be honest I was expecting this was the case here.

Thanks everyone for all the feedback so far. Since now I have admin rights I'll be able to purge the pages, and I guess I have enough material to work with (I got manual scans from both PC games and the sprite rips on Spriter's Resource).

JCF Member

Seren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to all

Mar 2, 2018, 06:50 AM
Quote:
So I'm guessing all the planet pages (http://jazzjackrabbit.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Levels) were plagiarized?
Upon inspection of the remaining pages, that is correct. The only significant difference between them and the J2O content is that the Wikia pages use (presumably official) enemy names in place of enemy descriptions. Descriptions of changes for some of the articles actually consist of links to the corresponding J2O pages, e.g. Deckstar.

luke11685

Banned

Mar 2, 2018, 07:04 AM
Can you display unused sprites of Lori Jackrabbit for example below character image in biography kind of like character description biographies on Wikipedia related to EarthBound characters.
Magma Dragoon

JCF Member

Mar 2, 2018, 07:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ementaler View Post
Upon inspection of the remaining pages, that is correct. The only significant difference between them and the J2O content is that the Wikia pages use (presumably official) enemy names in place of enemy descriptions. Descriptions of changes for some of the articles actually consist of links to the corresponding J2O pages, e.g. Deckstar.
The disc manual for the first game, which is the one bundled in the GOG release, has the names of all enemies up to the Final Clash episode. It also got some cool descriptions of the levels, which I'm planning to use as a base to rewrite all the pages.

Also thank you for taking your time to check the pages!
luke11685

Banned

Mar 3, 2018, 05:24 AM
What about Commander Keen,Turrican,ZZT,Dare To Dream,Hocus Pocus,Rad Rodgers,Jill of The Jungle wikipedias related to these pc games?
Magma Dragoon

JCF Member

Mar 3, 2018, 05:29 AM
Quote:
What about Commander Keen,Turrican,ZZT,Dare To Dream,Hocus Pocus,Rad Rodgers,Jill of The Jungle wikipedias related to these pc games?
Funny I actually thought once about making a wiki for Turrican. As for Commander Keen it does have a wiki: http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/Main_Page
luke11685

Banned

Mar 3, 2018, 06:18 AM
Are there any biography informations in Jazz Jackrabbit instruction pc game manuals about weight and height of Jazz Jackrabbit,Spaz Jackrabbit,Lori Jackrabbit,Devan Shell,Queen Earlong and Razz A'ma Tazz I had this feeling that I already saw this(deja vu),but these infos were deleted.Maybe I'm wrong maybe it never happened,yet.Btw article about King Earlong could be very useful for Jazz Jackrabbit related wikipedia.I also think first appearance of Spaz Jackrabbit is Jazz 1(cameo/easter egg) not Jazz 2 in Planet Bloxonius to be precisely accurate now.
Magma Dragoon

JCF Member

Mar 3, 2018, 11:19 AM
Quote:
Are there any biography informations in Jazz Jackrabbit instruction pc game manuals about weight and height of Jazz Jackrabbit,Spaz Jackrabbit,Lori Jackrabbit,Devan Shell,Queen Earlong and Razz A'ma Tazz I had this feeling that I already saw this(deja vu),but these infos were deleted.Maybe I'm wrong maybe it never happened,yet.Btw article about King Earlong could be very useful for Jazz Jackrabbit related wikipedia.I also think first appearance of Spaz Jackrabbit is Jazz 1(cameo/easter egg) not Jazz 2 in Planet Bloxonius to be precisely accurate now.
The first game's manual has some small data on the characters (height, weight, favorite food, favorite book).
luke11685

Banned

Mar 3, 2018, 11:37 AM
What about trivia(for example answer to question what inspired Nickadoo to make Eva Earlong artworks) of Eva Earlong in jazz jackrabbit wikia?Is Lori from jazz 2 final cutscene at weeding party her early design does she had more artwork designs by Noogy?
Magma Dragoon

JCF Member

Mar 7, 2018, 08:18 AM
Hello everyone. I have finished purging all plagiarized pages, not onbly for the levels but also quite a few ones which weren't full copies but had text copied verbatim from here (Devan Shell, Queen Earlong, Jazz Jackrabbit 3). I've also completely reworked the pages for Lori and Development Versions.

The only page I couldn't confirm was Unused Elements (http://jazzjackrabbit.wikia.com/wiki/Unused_Elements), which from what I checked doesn't have copied text, but feel free to corret me if I'm wrong.

JCF Member

Mar 7, 2018, 08:33 AM
Quote:
The only page I couldn't confirm was Unused Elements (http://jazzjackrabbit.wikia.com/wiki/Unused_Elements), which from what I checked doesn't have copied text, but feel free to corret me if I'm wrong.
It's part of the TCRF article on JJ2.

Magma Dragoon

JCF Member

Mar 8, 2018, 05:24 AM
Thanks, just deleted the page. I'll probably cover those in individual articles.
luke11685

Banned

Mar 8, 2018, 06:02 AM
Don't forget about King Earlong article in jazz jackrabbit related Wikipedia.

JCF Member

ShakerNL is an asset to this forumShakerNL is an asset to this forum

Mar 9, 2018, 02:32 PM
Wow, 22 third party trackers on Wikia. My first and last time visit to that website.

JCF Member

Jelly Jam is doing well so far

Mar 9, 2018, 03:47 PM
Surely it can't be your first visit...

JCF Member

Slaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHART

Mar 9, 2018, 11:46 PM
If anything, the ERE wiki should have the search function available to all logged in users, or at least all regular users.

Google does a decent job of indexing it’s articles. But well, convenience.

Administrator

Mar 10, 2018, 02:16 AM
ERE search isn't available to anyone at the moment, it's just broken (unfortunately!)

It's one of the things I hope to fix with the big update that's coming.

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Mar 10, 2018, 05:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakerNL View Post
Wow, 22 third party trackers on Wikia. My first and last time visit to that website.
"Thanks for adding reputation to this user."
Magma Dragoon

JCF Member

Mar 10, 2018, 07:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakerNL View Post
AdBlock Plus is your friend.

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Mar 10, 2018, 11:23 AM
Websites like J2O, with 0 third party trackers by default, are your friend
luke11685

Banned

Mar 11, 2018, 04:30 AM
You should add informations of two more enemies in planet Medivo like Fire Pest and Rocket Rapier as enemies only seen in Jazz Jackrabbit 1.
sonicnathan 1

JCF Member

sonicnathan 1 is doing well so far

Mar 11, 2018, 05:57 PM
If the ERE is ever properly fixed I'd be willing to throw my hat into the ring and help out where I can.

Ever since I got bored one day and added about 90% of whats on the TCRF article now, I've wanted to do the same with our wiki. However it was a 50% chance that clicking something would lead to a broken page. I haven't checked it out recently so maybe it's gotten better though.

Personally I"m not against using Wikia but since J2O is the communities central hub, it makes sense to use our own wiki instead of one hosted off site.
Episode 4: Probably never

<a href="http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/info.php?levelID=4882"> Deckstar V3</a>
<a href="http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/info.php?levelID=5408">Colonial Fix</a>
Jazz 1 Fanolint: 98%

<a href="http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/info.php?levelID=5407">Finished secret levels</a>
luke11685

Banned

Mar 12, 2018, 02:48 AM
Please add article about Zoe Cottontail(from Jazz Jackrabbit Advance) such as biography informations,character description including her photo.

Administrator

Mar 12, 2018, 07:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicnathan 1 View Post
If the ERE is ever properly fixed I'd be willing to throw my hat into the ring and help out where I can.

Ever since I got bored one day and added about 90% of whats on the TCRF article now, I've wanted to do the same with our wiki. However it was a 50% chance that clicking something would lead to a broken page. I haven't checked it out recently so maybe it's gotten better though.
As I said above, it mostly works now (search doesn't), and anyone who asks can edit it.
sonicnathan 1

JCF Member

sonicnathan 1 is doing well so far

Mar 12, 2018, 07:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stijn View Post
As I said above, it mostly works now (search doesn't), and anyone who asks can edit it.
Ah sweet I just had a quick browse and it seems MUCH more stable now.

So yeah if you'd please give me permission I'd be willing to do what I can on those nights where I wanna do something different. Beats watching the same videos on youtube for the 20 millionth time
Episode 4: Probably never

<a href="http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/info.php?levelID=4882"> Deckstar V3</a>
<a href="http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/info.php?levelID=5408">Colonial Fix</a>
Jazz 1 Fanolint: 98%

<a href="http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/info.php?levelID=5407">Finished secret levels</a>

Administrator

Mar 12, 2018, 09:13 AM
Cool! Done

JCF Member

Love & Thunder has disabled reputation

Mar 13, 2018, 05:09 AM
Quote:
AdBlock Plus is your friend.
That doesn't block all third party trackers. Besides, AdBlock is bloated and outdated these days, uBlock is a lot better. Doesn't stop all third party trackers, but it'll block the ads more efficiently and effectively. Except both AdBlock and uBlock increasingly are getting workarounds made for them. It's only mildly annoying when some irritating ads show up and you have to fiddle with the settings to get it fixed, but it's catastrophic if the site you're visiting has virus-infested ads, which isn't uncommon, especially on a site like Wikia.

Regarding ERE: I don't know if I have permission to edit that, but if I do, I'll take a look at it when I have some time, and see if I can help out at all.

JCF Member

Mar 13, 2018, 06:59 AM
I would like to have ERE edit access as well, please.

luke11685

Banned

Mar 13, 2018, 07:36 AM
ERE?What is it?