Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » Beyond Jazz Jackrabbit 2

I started making a remake of Jazz Jackrabbit 2 in Game Maker :]

SzymekRak

JCF Member

SzymekRak is doing well so far

Jun 22, 2008, 05:10 AM
I started making a remake of Jazz Jackrabbit 2 in Game Maker :]

Good morning all guys.
Ok I really started doing this!!
So first, screnshoots:

If you see "cba.pl najlepszy darmowy hosting" download screenshots there:
Screenshots here (400kB)
Description(all will be in finished game):
-For sound it will use BASS, so it can play wav,mp3,ogg,mod,xm,it,s3m and more as music (You can use j2b2it to play most j2b files)
-For tilesets it will use bmp,jpg and png. (You can use tileset.exe to convert)
-It will not be compatibile with j2l and I don't planning converter for now.
-It can use 24bit tilesets
-It can use pictures as background
-Layers can be transparent
-You can create your own events in level editor
-You can download .gm6 file and edit it
-Tools will be done in Delphi 7
-It will probaly support multiplayer, over LAN, Internet, but I think there will not be splitscreen.
-It will support ambient lighting, and it will have thunder, rain and snow built-in.
-No more pallete problems, probaly
I'm not sure I implement all of ^!
For now, no download link. The game is not ready to play. Maybe I relase download link for first beta next week(where i must upload it, what you advice?). Who wants help, PM me.
Needed: GML programmers (game maker 6.1 full), someone who create j2l converter.

Don't post nooby answers and PLEASE DON'T DELETE THIS OR THERE WOULDN'T BE NEW JAZZ2!!!
Hey, who rip all sprites from 1.23 anims.j2a and upload it for me(animated gif please)? don't want extracting 10000000 sprites with jsd...
If i don't answer I'm probaly working on it.
And finally, sorry for my bad English.

Last edited by SzymekRak; Jun 24, 2008 at 12:45 AM. Reason: Screenshots not works. Now may be ok.

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Jun 22, 2008, 07:46 AM
So basically this is a completely different game that just happens to illegally rip JJ2's graphics?

Let's get the facts straight, this is made in game maker, and it doesn't support any of JJ2's native formats. Thus the myriads of user-created contents don't work with it, much less the original tilesets which I doubt you'll be able to replace by something equally awesome. And, judging by the screenshots, the content you didn't rip looks horrible. What advantages does this have over the original?

If you want to do this as programming practice or something, sure, go ahead, and I can always appreciate it if someone want to make new content for JJ2. But you might want to ask yourself why anyone would want this when it's done.

JCF Éminence Grise

Radium is an asset to this forum

Jun 22, 2008, 10:26 AM
Well, the editor looks like it's off to an okay start (what there is of it) but I think your menu and scoreboard need work. I mean, your menu should be one of the lowest priorities at this point for adding after you have a good engine in place for graphics and controls. I notice there's not any gameplay yet, either.

<i>"This picture shows me that the gray bird man is just a bully and picks on smaller birds. Just because he has no friends and takes it out on others smaller than him to look good. I can see in the parrats eyes that it does however have a understanding of the gray bird man and is upset about getting cut."</i> - Speeza on cartoon birds.

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Jun 22, 2008, 01:09 PM
Oh good, a fangame. It's been way too long since anyone really tried anything. You don't really seem to have much aesthetic sensibility, but fortunately, that's the one thing that is absolutely easiest to find help with (aside from simply playing your game). I would focus on the level editor first off, as while as the gameplay engine itself.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 02:51 PM
Erik
This message has been deleted by Torkell. Reason: Try posting something constructive.

JCF Member

Speeza is an asset to this forumSpeeza is an asset to this forum

Jun 22, 2008, 04:25 PM
What a good supporting community we have here -.-

Your friendly JCF Hillybilly
DavidkazBest poster of 2010 ! [GpW]

JCF Member

Xobim is doing well so far

Jun 23, 2008, 07:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
[MEGA BASS]
Does Bass have the original reverb, used in XMPlay 3.3?

Anyway, the most important question to me is:
Will you release the sourcecode of your game?

JCF Veteran

n00b is an asset to this forumn00b is an asset to this forum

Jun 23, 2008, 08:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeza View Post
What a good supporting community we have here -.-
Ok let me get this straight the posts above yours were in a nutshell:
Stijn- Being Stijn. (This is a given, he is of course Stijn.)
Radium- Hopeful, and critiquing the screen shots visually in a constructive manner (He is Radium, after all thats pretty much his job around here)
Violet- Rah Rah, fangame that some one actually posts about. Notes that SzymekRak can have someone in the community help him out make things look better visually. Also directs SzymekRak towards what he should focus on in a kind and helpful manner.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but "-.-" is internet speak for "I'm no good at internet sarcasm so here's a smiley to let you know, that yes, I am in fact being sarcastic here" (the JCF has its own variation in the ). However when given that 2 out 3 are being rather supportive and the other third is more of "I really just want to save you from wasted efforts better spent elsewhere" but not particularly mean spirited, your post doesn't seem to apply to this thread at all. Did you mean to post elsewhere? Or perhaps were you instead wishing to show us you in the process of blinking, or maybe falling asleep? (in which case why? Its not particularly important)
SzymekRak

JCF Member

SzymekRak is doing well so far

Jun 23, 2008, 09:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Rabbit View Post
Oh good, a fangame. It's been way too long since anyone really tried anything. You don't really seem to have much aesthetic sensibility, but fortunately, that's the one thing that is absolutely easiest to find help with (aside from simply playing your game). I would focus on the level editor first off, as while as the gameplay engine itself.
What is "aesthetic"??

First, I must make the level editor to make a level and then complete the game.

And a question: Who want help me??

Quote:
Will you release the sourcecode of your game?
I release gm6 file, that you can open in game maker & edit.

Last edited by SzymekRak; Jun 23, 2008 at 09:08 AM. Reason: quote
n00b

JCF Veteran

Jun 23, 2008, 09:20 AM
Aesthetic is more or less "Visual Appeal". The colors in your menu to be honest, don't look all that great, they kind of clash, and really detract from the menu. Make note of the relaxing purple tones that are used in the JJ2 menu. Its easy on the eyes and does not distract the player from what he should be doing in the menu (i.e. selecting stuff)

Also, the font you're using for the menu lessens to the visual appeal of your menu. It is also a little bit hard to read, and can easily get lost in the current mishmash of the menu's background.

I suggest using the ingame font of Jazz 2 (easily extractable using Jazz Sprite Dynamite) and constructing your selectable menu options in an image editing program. Or better yet, have someone do it for you so you can work on the actual game engine. I'd do it myself, but I'm currently rather busy.

JCF Member

Speeza is an asset to this forumSpeeza is an asset to this forum

Jun 23, 2008, 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00b View Post
Ok let me get this straight the posts above yours were in a nutshell:
Stijn- Being Stijn. (This is a given, he is of course Stijn.)
Radium- Hopeful, and critiquing the screen shots visually in a constructive manner (He is Radium, after all thats pretty much his job around here)
Violet- Rah Rah, fangame that some one actually posts about. Notes that SzymekRak can have someone in the community help him out make things look better visually. Also directs SzymekRak towards what he should focus on in a kind and helpful manner.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but "-.-" is internet speak for "I'm no good at internet sarcasm so here's a smiley to let you know, that yes, I am in fact being sarcastic here" (the JCF has its own variation in the ). However when given that 2 out 3 are being rather supportive and the other third is more of "I really just want to save you from wasted efforts better spent elsewhere" but not particularly mean spirited, your post doesn't seem to apply to this thread at all. Did you mean to post elsewhere? Or perhaps were you instead wishing to show us you in the process of blinking, or maybe falling asleep? (in which case why? Its not particularly important)
I Can really see how hard you have tried to bash me , but if all your going to do is talk meaningless drivvle then go right ahead.
Honestly I don't think no one had a problem with my post and if it were to be pointless it would be deleted. Now leave the admins to decide whether or not a post is pointless or not , and stop bashing me becuase you dislike me. Thank you

P.S I don't think theres a rule where I have to use the JCF smileys I can tell how bored you are kid so go outside and play , comon you really tryed hard to rip on a simple post what contained 7 words. In the future a small sentance will do .

OK , didn't someone else recently try to make a Jazz jackrabbit game in gamemaker , and started makeing some levels for it. I'm sure i saved some pictures becuase they were amazeing. Does anyone know ? ("" this one is for you noob )

And how are you doing now on the project you could post pictures useing photobucket. I like fangames

Your friendly JCF Hillybilly
DavidkazBest poster of 2010 ! [GpW]

JCF Member

Dermo should make better posts

Jun 23, 2008, 06:09 PM
Just let n00b continue. It makes him look like the noob he is.

Do you like Stijn? Take my poll!

Windows is not a virus. A virus is small and efficient...

Note to Stijn: how am i even getting away with this
n00b

JCF Veteran

Jun 23, 2008, 07:11 PM
I'm not bashing you because I dislike you, I'm dissecting the post because I hate seeing this community bashed when it did nothing wrong and is really one of the better communities dedicated to a single game currently on the internet. Of course the admins aren't going to do a thing about your post, its well within the rules. Theres nothing that says "Thou shalt not type bitter sarcasm else thou shall face the wrath of Derby". I do, however, like you try to make your post look longer than mine but complain about my post's length, and then bring up nonexistent details (please point out where I said "Use this smiley" please and thanks).

On a final note, if you're going to throw out everything in this post as "meaningless drivel" and then make up crap thats not even in the post again, don't bother replying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dermo View Post
Just let n00b continue. It makes him look like the noob he is.
Ah Drmoo, your eloquence never ceases to amaze.