Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

JJ2+ (Updated June 30, 2010)

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Jul 1, 2010, 10:20 AM
Ementaler: Wow. Well found. Coupled with a revert morph, that works incredibly well... it's much less compact than Troglobite's solution, because you need to take a few seconds to make sure that all the gems have been counted, and seeing the frog on-screen is a bit awkward, but on the other hand it looks much more stable and reliable.

JCF Member

EvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHART

Jul 1, 2010, 03:17 PM
That method works but it's very hackish and not something I'd use, since I think it's better to just use a different j2l file for each "entrance" a level has. This results in more files, but it goes more smoothly from the player's perspective, which is more important in the end.

I would definitely like to see some way for an exit event to point to a particular start position in the next level. It's not as important as having multiple exits be possible, though.

JCF Member

EvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHART

Jul 3, 2010, 12:49 AM
How about this for a random feature request: A working laser shield event.

JJ2+ fixed the crash issues associated with laser shields (as far as I know), so it's not totally impossible that such a thing could be turned into something usable by players. Also, there is a nonfunctioning event available in JCS which could be used. The weapon itself would be interesting tactically, because it could snipe people from across the whole level.

The only problem is there is no sprite for a laser shield box, and it might be hard to implement something like that, which makes this suggestion pretty unrealistic. The only thing I can think of is using a palette-swapped plasma shield box.

Yeah, this is a crazy suggestion. It's just that I was thinking, it's a shame such a cool weapon is only available by cheating.

JCF Member

Obi1mcd is OFF DA CHARTObi1mcd is OFF DA CHARTObi1mcd is OFF DA CHART

Jul 3, 2010, 06:01 PM
The new update is VERY useful, thanks for making it!
Also, would it be possible to turn the slide event into a sort of ice thing? I first thought that's what it was until I saw the stuff in castle 1 and put two and two together. It could possibly be done sort of like belt events, except just adding more momentum.

JCF Member

Jgke is an asset to this forumJgke is an asset to this forum

Jul 3, 2010, 10:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilMike View Post
How about making it as a second upgrade to blaster, and limiting it's ammo. Then later, when ammos run out on the same live, the player couldn't shoot anymore. This way, the powerup wouldn't be totally overpowered, as the players must keep their ammos filled if they want to take the powerup and shoot.
Old Jul 4, 2010, 02:45 AM
Grytolle
This message has been deleted by Grytolle.

JCF Member

blurredd is an asset to this forumblurredd is an asset to this forum

Jul 4, 2010, 04:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
Which one is true?
The latter. I tried to say too much in the first sentence.

Quote:

The weapon itself would be interesting tactically, because it could snipe people from across the whole level.
Don't players complain enough about getting hit out of nowhere with air hits?
ATB Contest. Scripting Language.
Gameplay Theories.
1UP. Pitfall. Desolation.
SC2.

JCF Member

Dermo should make better posts

Jul 4, 2010, 08:55 AM
Maybe a juggernaut game mode where one player gets the laser shield for a certain period of time and then it switches. It would be cool except any non-plus users joining would get a deadly access violation.

Do you like Stijn? Take my poll!

Windows is not a virus. A virus is small and efficient...

Note to Stijn: how am i even getting away with this

JCF Member

Jul 4, 2010, 05:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlurredD View Post
Don't players complain enough about getting hit out of nowhere with air hits?
Heh. At least they could see the beam. Probably.

Though I neglected to mention, it would also have an interesting use in SP levels. Aside from being the most powerful weapon by far (the other shields are more defensive in SP, and the water shield isn't as much of a superweapon), it is also capable of some unique tricks like destroying pretty much any object/scenery through walls. It could be used, for example, to destroy a crate buried deep within a wall.

JCF Member

Jul 5, 2010, 10:26 AM
Quote:
Though I neglected to mention, it would also have an interesting use in SP levels. Aside from being the most powerful weapon by far (the other shields are more defensive in SP, and the water shield isn't as much of a superweapon), it is also capable of some unique tricks like destroying pretty much any object/scenery through walls. It could be used, for example, to destroy a crate buried deep within a wall.
I quess it should be stopped by some object, like ricochet. This to prevent breaking in horizontal levels.

JCF Member

Vulcan should make better posts

Jul 7, 2010, 02:55 AM
My jj2 wont read the NEWEST version of jj2+

The one from June

It keeps saying that i have downloaded Aprils version

Do i HAVE to edit my jcs?

JCF Member

Jul 7, 2010, 07:14 AM
cooldude, are you sure that you overwrote plus.dll?

JCF Member

Treylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legend

Jul 7, 2010, 08:02 AM
To overwrite your plus, you must transfer the plus.dll to your jazz2 again to overwrite it. Don't use plusifier or whatever it's called to create another plus, that won't update it. You only need plusifer when you get plus for the first time. Hope that clears some things up. Oh and not to mention, if you still get the April version, be sure to transfer the new admin.ini to it as well.

Okay...onto other stuff.

So anyway, I'm not sure if anyone knows about this, but there's an unused part of Lori's idle sprite which shows pulling her gun back out from her...back (only I hope so)? When I jjmorphed at the certain idle, it shows me the unused part...with the broken fur. Yes, you may notice that bird in the corner, I did become a bird soon right after this which is supposed to happen.

Don't know where this sprite is supposed to continue from? Well, look at idle 1. It may say "unused", but only part of it works as of the moment.
http://www.spriters-resource.com/pc_...j2/sheet/28052

I guess I might as well address bugs that are actually annoying...well, in coop/sp mode and you stop the game, only the host cannot be hurt at all, while the others can. I've also heard that if you're not the host in coop/sp and get hurt, then get a carrot, you get a "bump" similar to a fake C, then get full health. It would also be nice if you could fix the bug of the possibility of getting stuck in a V-pole if someone else goes on it at the same time. Also locally if you hit a player when stopped, they still make hurt sounds. Funny enough I can kick one into a corner and they spam a lot of hurt noises. XD But they don't hear it themselves.

About that feature idea I asked about, which was perhaps a command that tells you the file name of the level. I think maybe something like that too as well like telling the tileset it uses. These two commands would make my JJ2 "life" sooo much easier. I don't see why it wasn't implemented in the latest plus. Then I wouldn't have to look through my lousy cache just to find the level/tileset I've been looking forever for. Not all levels have been uploaded onto J2O, you know. I don't really want to look up in SGIP all the time just to find out the level name. (Well, I'm too used to fullscreen and I have to minimze, open firefox and stuff).

How about a feature that disables wallclimbing altogether in the server itself? Would be useful for hosting streetfight. Of course this probably wouldn't work for non-plus users.

I know this would probably be hard to implement...or probably even impossible, but I'd really like if copter ears worked like you pressed the ctrl button to activate them, then press it again to turn it off. I don't really like how the way they work at the moment because it's hard to stop them and easier to make mistakes. Of course, this may take a while to get used to and some may prefer it the current way and some might want a way to change it back blahblahblah, but to all honestly I doubt this is possible.

JCF Member

Jul 7, 2010, 09:55 AM
How about an event what would hide player's name, sprite and possible flag? Could be used in JCS to create new possibilities in levels, like hidden turrets or ninja tubes.

Oh, and make the chatlog's bar to stay at it's place if someone says something. It's annoying to search for something while an active server, as someone always is saying something.

JCF Member

blurredd is an asset to this forumblurredd is an asset to this forum

Jul 7, 2010, 05:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J96 View Post
How about an event what would hide player's name, sprite and possible flag? Could be used in JCS to create new possibilities in levels, like hidden turrets or ninja tubes.
Maybe one day.

Quote:
Oh, and make the chatlog's bar to stay at it's place if someone says something. It's annoying to search for something while an active server, as someone always is saying something.
Boy, I wish. In case you haven't noticed, the chatlogger is just Notepad converted to log text. It needed to be replaced ages ago. Someone else is going to have to write a new chatlogger because I don't consider it a high enough priority to do it myself.

Quote:
I'd like to ask BlurredD some questions, since I've been curious for a while.
How many lines of code was JJ2+ approximately written in?

How much time have you spent creating the patch?
Since early 2006 (with Carrotade).

Have you ever been tempted release JJ2+ as a commercial product, either shareware or fully paid?
Not really.

Plus is beta (yet it fixes many bugs in JJ2 and adds a VERY large number of features). When will you call it a finished product?
Some time after automatic updates are implemented among other things.

Is it possible for you to implement into JJ2+ everything you can think of/has there been something you really wanted JJ2 to have but never managed to work out?
There's always going to be something I can't implement right away, though that doesn't mean I can't implement it a few months or a year later.

If the game's source code is released, wouldn't you feel bad for adding tons of new features the hard way?
At this point, no. JJ2 has a lot of broken code, misplaced code, and structure issues, so it's not like JJ2+ would be replaced overnight.
ATB Contest. Scripting Language.
Gameplay Theories.
1UP. Pitfall. Desolation.
SC2.

JCF Member

Jul 7, 2010, 05:22 PM
You know how in CTF that arrow that points to where the flag is? Make an option to chose how long it stays for and how often it displays. Regulate that (-)(-)(-)(-)!

JCF Member

Jul 8, 2010, 06:16 PM
Ok here's a good feature suggestion for once:

A special trigger zone for flag carriers. If you are carrying a flag, it sets to 1, otherwise it is 0. Completely local to the flag carrier. Only one trigger would be needed (you wouldn't need one for each team, unless you are really bad at JCS). Having just one trigger like this also makes things more interesting.

There are obvious possibilities for CTF and flag run levels: for example, perhaps holding the flag will close off certain shortcuts. Or it could open up (or close off) a full NRG carrot. I can also see this being used for assault levels, and other more creative uses.

JCF Member

Jul 8, 2010, 09:15 PM
Quote:
Rumour has it that if you join RA (whenever it's resurrected) you might get a program of Artem's that allows you to see the arrow for as long as you play... Of course, I can't confirm that but sure does it seems plausible. This doesn't really have anything to do with the topic but it made me so indignant when I heard about it that I had to share.
I imagine that that wouldn't be so hard... interesting. Now blur's probably going to put a block on something that allows that to happen. I didn't even think about memhacking that myself...

JCF Member

Black Ninja is an asset to this forumBlack Ninja is an asset to this forum

Jul 9, 2010, 12:10 AM
Quote:
Ok here's a good feature suggestion for once:

A special trigger zone for flag carriers. If you are carrying a flag, it sets to 1, otherwise it is 0. Completely local to the flag carrier. Only one trigger would be needed (you wouldn't need one for each team, unless you are really bad at JCS). Having just one trigger like this also makes things more interesting.

There are obvious possibilities for CTF and flag run levels: for example, perhaps holding the flag will close off certain shortcuts. Or it could open up (or close off) a full NRG carrot. I can also see this being used for assault levels, and other more creative uses.
+1. I love this idea, and tried for a long time to make it work using vanilla 1.23. Needless to say, I didn't really manage to pull it off.

JCF Member

Jul 9, 2010, 01:01 AM
It is impossible to do using regular JJ2. If it was possible to globally set triggers to 0 (rather than just 1, which is what crates do), you could rig up something, but it would be pretty clunky and require the base to be put inside some kind of tube system.

The only way you can have a flag carrier trigger in vanilla JJ2 is if the flag carrier is specially designated at the start of the game, and doesn't change. This is unsuitable for regular CTF, but it can be seen in some assassination levels and asbridge.j2l (an assault level).

JCF Member

Olsen is doing well so far

Jul 9, 2010, 05:47 AM
Wow, that would be pretty awesome. I support this idea!

JCF Member

Toni should make better posts

Jul 9, 2010, 09:08 AM
Proposal: Change the thread name to JJ2+ (Updated Jun/Jul, Xst/nd/rd/th, 2010) ? :P

JCF Member

Grytolle is a forum legendGrytolle is a forum legendGrytolle is a forum legend

Jul 9, 2010, 12:24 PM
So anyway I was thinking... Instead of /capturewait, how about you keep reading the position of the last flagcarrier and don't allow him to recap until he is at another position than the enemy base?

JCF Member

plunK is an asset to this forum

Jul 9, 2010, 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodGR View Post
Then why not add it to plus...? Gry's patch doesn't work with plus... Better make one universal patch than have 5 different copies of the game on your disk, opening each accordingly to what you want to play.
you can make fully functional King of the hill levels using the jailbreak events. TBH its really not that fun. just make a platform with a single Dom point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropiCCo View Post
Proposal: Change the thread name to JJ2+ (Updated Jun/Jul, Xst/nd/rd/th, 2010) ? :P
Agreed.

Also: i see no point in editing the chatlogger. It surves its purpose

Blur:
-Approx how many hours of time would you say youve spent on this?
-Is there any functional way to create a team warp event?
-Could you add something to that plus settings tab. it bothers me. A good suggestion would be a button to reopen closed chatloggers
-Just good work overall man, i appreciate the time and effort you spend on this.

JCF Member

Jul 9, 2010, 06:12 PM
An admin needs to change the thread title. Blur has already edited it, but that only changes the title within the thread (look at the first page). It's a vbulletin thing.

JCF Member

Jul 9, 2010, 10:53 PM
Hmm. About the chatlogger: How about if it stoppes updating if it is focused on, and instead takes all changes when unfocused?

Stealth Admin

Torkell is a forum legendTorkell is a forum legendTorkell is a forum legend

Jul 10, 2010, 02:30 AM
Quote:
An admin needs to change the thread title. Blur has already edited it, but that only changes the title within the thread (look at the first page). It's a vbulletin thing.
Done.

JCF Member

Jul 11, 2010, 01:49 AM
Idea for plus menu: ability to edit a list of words that make a 'beep' when sayed, for instance, 'back'.

JCF Member

Jul 11, 2010, 10:07 AM
Maybe some of this commands can be used in JJ2:

1) /gag [player number] [time in seconds]

- Gags player if he is insulting/swearing, etc.

2) /autogag on

3) /autogagtime [value in seconds]

- Auto gag player if he swears, also there can be

4) /swearlist, with all words what you can't write.

+ This is possible, DJazzy made something like that autogag, and if you 5 times tell word from a swearlist, you get kick. If you get 3 kicks, 4th time you get ban.

5) /sweartime [how much times player can swear before he get kick]

- then he'll get kicked 1000 times if he 1000 times swears ;

6) /kickswear [how much time he can kick if someone is swearing],

- and after that, that person get ban on

7) /banswear [time in minutes]

- Reason: You swear too much. If you don't know how to make this, ask DJazzy for a help. He made something like this .

8) /rank

- Shows your rank on Public servers. Server can have rank.txt file in JJ2 folder. Very good for "Zeal Alpha" and "The Server". You get message when you write /rank:

Console: Rank stats: Kill(s): X ; Death(s): X ; Hit(s): X

9) /top5

- If you make rank, make this, if it is possible. Shows top 5 players:

Console: Top 5: Nick1: Xkill(s), Nick2: Xkill(s), Nick3: Xkill(s), Nick4: Xkill(s), Nick5: Xkill(s)

10) /hits ; /hits [on | off]

- ONLY FOR PUBLIC SERVERS! Shows you all hits what hit your enemies until you die.

11) /pm [player number] [text]

- Sends private message to some player. For example:

||||>>Nick sends you a private message: |||| (I think this is white color) "text"

- Spectators CAN'T send private messages to players who are in-game. That means someone can be cheater. Spectator can send pm to player who is playing, and tell him enemy's healths .

------------------

That's all what I want to be realized for now. There will be edits if I remember for something other, and I don't hope all commands will blur make, but if he make more than 3 it will be good .

P.S. No, I don't think he's not good enough in coding , I just know how programming is hard!

Last edited by Toni; Jul 11, 2010 at 10:17 AM.

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Jul 11, 2010, 10:09 AM
I also would like a /dance command

JCF Member

Jul 11, 2010, 02:45 PM
Hmm. Plus menu suggestion : Maybe could these be there?
/wc
/alwaysshowingamepings
/downloadmusic
/downloadsamemusicversion

JCF Member

FawFul is a forum legendFawFul is a forum legendFawFul is a forum legend

Jul 11, 2010, 03:13 PM
Quote:
I remember once suggesting something like that. Blur replied he'd rather not turn the game into an IM of a sort. I'm still in favour of this, though. If there can be admin chat, why not private messages as well?
I'm sure it would be better if it displays as (Player): Message and not ||||>>Player sends you a private message: ||||. First, because it will be similar to the way TC is displayed and second, because that chatline doesn't have support for an undefined number of characters, you know.
I agree, i am not really up for a private message ability, but perhaps a teamchat for spectators could be fine, since it's annoying to interrupt duels. For the player is hard to mute everyone too, people join and leave. And maybe important questions can't be seen.
Vegito

JCF Member

Vegito is an asset to this forum

Jul 11, 2010, 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stijn View Post
I also would like a /dance command
I just want to point out the awesomeness of this idea.

JCF Member

Jul 11, 2010, 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegito View Post
Agreed.
BlueDragon

JCF Member

BlueDragon is doing well so far

Jul 12, 2010, 07:06 AM
Also for team chat is it possible to bind it to Y instead of Shift + T? I'm quite used to Y in other games.
Maybe even costume bindable keys/cmds?

JCF Member

Jul 12, 2010, 11:48 AM
I would like this thread to be stickied.

Also, /allspaz would be really really nice.

Also, make it compatible with plugins? (unless I'm missing something...)

JCF Member

Jul 12, 2010, 11:48 AM
klemekin, you're playing Counter Strike, right? :P But, no.. I don't like the idea

JCF Member

BlueDragon is doing well so far

Jul 12, 2010, 02:18 PM
Quote:
klemekin, you're playing Counter Strike, right? :P But, no.. I don't like the idea
Im playing Call of Duty :P

Well you could have bought ways possible? I know i asked Sfaizst that it is possible to do something like that.

It sometimes gets anoying when i want to team chat and always press Y
TheKax

JCF Member

TheKax is doing well so far

Jul 14, 2010, 02:40 AM
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegito View Post
Dance command? Are you kidding me? OF COURSE YOU MUST ADD THAT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by klemenkin View Post
Also for team chat is it possible to bind it to Y instead of Shift + T? I'm quite used to Y in other games.
Maybe even costume bindable keys/cmds?
Quote:
You guys, both are right. So I'll tell you even better idea: Teamchat would accesible through SHIFT+T and Y.
And I would love to be able to change costumes mid game... 10 costumes, each of a single color, change them through the level and blen into background... Ninja style! (I've seen people with completely black fur in dark levels. Pain to spot, as he also had empty name :P)

And that reminds me: Make a option to disable showing enemy teams names (for everyone on the server, forced to be so), for a stealth twist. And a option to force disable showing all names (stealth for battle etc...)

It seem JCF administration got a move on since my name got "finally" changed. But hey thanks guys out there.

Making kind of a tribute to Foo races + research on the subject... (It's going better now that we have finally foo races uploaded ==> HERE.)
Progress: ▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄ 10% or so...
And also randomly here and there hosting the original Team Foo races!

"Your reputation on this post is Somewhat Positive."

JCF Member

Jul 14, 2010, 04:24 AM
Hmm. It seems that I can currently host a server without it pinging, but nobody can join it. Weird.

Also, on my currently laggy connection, if I take a carrot, and someone takes it, I start flashing between my current position and the one who took the carrot.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 08:27 AM
Cosmo
This message has been deleted by Cosmo. Reason: Is not with sense comment...

JCF Member

Treylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legend

Jul 14, 2010, 08:50 AM
Quote:
Also, on my currently laggy connection, if I take a carrot, and someone takes it, I start flashing between my current position and the one who took the carrot.
That happens to me too. I don't think it's really lag, it must be some kind of bug.
Closed Thread