Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

JJ2+ (Updated June 30, 2010)

JCF Member

Toni should make better posts

Oct 20, 2010, 05:01 AM
dermo, I played a game called "Teeworlds" what has a "ding" noise when somebody joins the server, and it gets very annoying...

JCF Member

Jgke is an asset to this forumJgke is an asset to this forum

Oct 20, 2010, 05:59 AM
Option to disable it too, Toni.
minmay

JCF Member

minmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesome

Oct 20, 2010, 12:32 PM
Yet another feature request: detect when a server is hosting a TSF level, and grey it out accordingly when playing on 1.23. Or just keep people from using multiversion while hosting TSF levels (why do so many people do that anyway?).
GoldRabbit

JCF Member

GoldRabbit is an asset to this forumGoldRabbit is an asset to this forum

Oct 20, 2010, 01:01 PM
Well, most people have TSF now as it's the better version of the game. I don't get why some people insist on keeping 1.23 seeing as all dedicated servers are now hosted on 1.24, the JCS hasn't got the tileset limits and it's got an extra character after all.

I think that rather than keeping people from joining 1.24 servers if they have 1.23 they should download TSF instead if they want so much to play in those servers.

Not saying the idea is bad, just redundant, considering the circumstances.
because everybody plays the game this way

saints especially

JCF Member

Dermo should make better posts

Oct 20, 2010, 01:33 PM
1.23 was considerably better than 1.24 in terms of SP and gameplay. Therefore, I prefer 1.23.

Do you like Stijn? Take my poll!

Windows is not a virus. A virus is small and efficient...

Note to Stijn: how am i even getting away with this

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Oct 20, 2010, 01:52 PM
But, at least regarding gameplay, they're like... exactly the same.

JCF Member

Jerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legend

Oct 20, 2010, 01:54 PM
And in SP the only difference is that there are a few more levels, nicely packed in their own little episode. And playing the 1.23 episodes as Lori is possible, but entirely voluntary.

JCF Member

minmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesome

Oct 20, 2010, 02:09 PM
Not sure about other people, but I try to keep everything as 1.23 compatible as possible because some people still use 1.23, not because 1.23 is better in some way.

If you can get everyone to migrate to 1.24, great, but it's not going to happen any time soon.

JCF Member

Oct 20, 2010, 02:25 PM
1.23 is the way to go because stuff done in 1.23 can be migrated to 1.24. But not the other way around.

Also, in regards to gameplay, I was more or less referring to the level set and the bosses. The style of the game as a whole represented a more cartoonish JJ2 as opposed to 1.24 where the story was about as lame as all other aspects of the levels and gameplay as a whole. I felt like 1.23 had more of the "spazzy" feel while 1.24 was more or less "linear" sorta speak. Just a game they did out of boredom with no real purpose intended except to make money.

JCF Member

Speeza is an asset to this forumSpeeza is an asset to this forum

Oct 20, 2010, 07:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dermo View Post
1.23 is the way to go because stuff done in 1.23 can be migrated to 1.24. But not the other way around.

Also, in regards to gameplay, I was more or less referring to the level set and the bosses. The style of the game as a whole represented a more cartoonish JJ2 as opposed to 1.24 where the story was about as lame as all other aspects of the levels and gameplay as a whole. I felt like 1.23 had more of the "spazzy" feel while 1.24 was more or less "linear" sorta speak. Just a game they did out of boredom with no real purpose intended except to make money.
I don't really know , Isn't it best to use 1.24 now. I like the fact that you can create more larger tile sets in it. (although most of the time its not really necessary) Can't you also have more animations in 1.24 ?

Not to mention in this thread you were going on about how EASY it was to convert 1.24 tile sets/levels into 1.23

Your friendly JCF Hillybilly
DavidkazBest poster of 2010 ! [GpW]

JCF Member

Oct 20, 2010, 07:58 PM
It is easy, Speeza. And the fact that somebody cares enough about 1.23 should to make such a simple conversion program should tell you something about the uses of it.

I'm not sure about animations. I know I've never had a problem with animations on a converted level before. I always host my server 1.23 but /nosplitscreeners on in order to keep the MOST annoying noobs out.

JCF Member

DoubleGJ has disabled reputation

Oct 21, 2010, 07:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dermo View Post
Because they're technically worse. That's like saying "XBox games are better than 360 games because you can play them on both consoles".

Two Games Joined releases:
Control / Splinter (twin singles)
|| Ballistic Bunny (EP)
||
Beyond (maxi-single)
|| Beyond: Remixed (remix EP)
|| Inner Monsters OST (mini-album)
||
Shadows (album)

JCF Member

Oct 21, 2010, 07:13 AM
Aren't they?

JCF Member

Grytolle is a forum legendGrytolle is a forum legendGrytolle is a forum legend

Oct 21, 2010, 08:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleGJ View Post
Because they're technically worse. That's like saying "XBox games are better than 360 games because you can play them on both consoles".
Considering the minuscle nature of the "advantages" of 1.24 (huge levels, which inevitably sucks, and lori, no comment needed), and the supposed nature (i dont know shit about consoles) of the differences between xbox and 360: No.

JCF Member

Troglobite is a forum legendTroglobite is a forum legendTroglobite is a forum legend

Oct 21, 2010, 09:24 AM
For those of us who don't have 1.24 (or an Xbox 360), yes, they are a lot better. And if I don't want to illegally download TSF (or break into a gaming store in the dead of the night, and steal a 360), I'll just have to keep playing 1.23 only levels.

Lexicographer: Someone who writes dictionaries
Neophyte: A novice, or newbie
Hemisemidemiquaver: In music, a sixty-fourth note

Exit Troglobite, Stage Left
minmay

JCF Member

Oct 21, 2010, 03:09 PM
The advantage is tileset size, not level size.

JCF Member

Obi1mcd is OFF DA CHARTObi1mcd is OFF DA CHARTObi1mcd is OFF DA CHART

Oct 21, 2010, 05:25 PM
It all depends on the quality of the level/tileset, not the format. A huge TSF-only on could be done well, like Mega Megatropolis, but others could be TSF-only for no apparent reason.

JCF Member

GoldRabbit is an asset to this forumGoldRabbit is an asset to this forum

Oct 24, 2010, 03:26 AM
I know there are many other great suggestions already waiting to be implemented, so this might not be so important.
How about fixing the Snow event so it is viewable by everyone in the server? Just a minor update, and it can't be that hard.

JCF Member

Slaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHART

Oct 24, 2010, 05:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi1mcd View Post
It all depends on the quality of the level/tileset, not the format. A huge TSF-only on could be done well, like Mega Megatropolis, but others could be TSF-only for no apparent reason.
This.

Just a few days ago, I began using TSF as my main JJ2 version only because I was more or less forced into it. Apperantly, the whole online community has 'switched' to TSF since 1.23+ has been made narrowly compatible with it. I do like how Blur fixed Lori's fur colors, but she's still the ugly duck if it comes to gameplay (broken character, in other words). However, if the TSF engine is superior to the 1.23 one, I won't have a problem in using TSF more often. Guess there are very few left now sticking with good old 1.23..

JCF Member

Oct 24, 2010, 05:55 AM
/upload [filename], to upload files to a server. Admin command.

Go forth and word-procreate upon this ‘forum’ upon which men from the ‘internet’ may ‘talk’ to one another.

Edit: Mid/midi support?

Last edited by Jgke; Oct 24, 2010 at 08:06 AM.

JCF Member

Treylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legend

Oct 24, 2010, 08:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaz View Post
This.

Just a few days ago, I began using TSF as my main JJ2 version only because I was more or less forced into it. Apperantly, the whole online community has 'switched' to TSF since 1.23+ has been made narrowly compatible with it. I do like how Blur fixed Lori's fur colors, but she's still the ugly duck if it comes to gameplay (broken character, in other words). However, if the TSF engine is superior to the 1.23 one, I won't have a problem in using TSF more often. Guess there are very few left now sticking with good old 1.23..
Hmm. I think back then 1.23 was used more often since the community was split and was easier to get, and it seemed to have the more well known people as well as American players, etc. Then when plus came out, it was only compatible with 1.23. And I suppose once it was compatible with 1.24, people had switched to TSF plus for it's extra features (for those who had it).

Then once after that BigRes thing came out, even more then started using 1.24. But I actually started using it because (oh boy I'm going to be so fish slapped for this, but I don't care anymore) because I found Lori fun to use. And I don't get those annoying "Error downloading file" things from TSF level multiversion servers anymore. No more limitations. To be honest, the engine feels the same to me as it has always been (with the exception of Lori, that is). Hey, don't forget the copter bugfix. That makes her less broken.

There's lots of tricks with the kick too (okay technically most of them are bugs, but most are actually useful), one I recently found out that if you kick certain enemies like a floating sucker (or even a boss, only offline sp tho) from just about as further as you can kick away from it, you'll get a burst of huge speed, and if you hold on the jump button as soon as you do that, you'll jump really high. (even higher than golden Spaz jump with enough open space at the end). I made an experimental level for it (although the enemy doesn't want to spawn online unless you're the host), if you guys are really interested I can upload it on J2O.

As for the SP levels compared to 1.23 and TSF, I don't care about those, they're all too easy for me, even an average player can beat them easily on hard with ease, knowing the magic run button. And space button mashing. There are much better custom SP levels out there anyway. And MP is much more fun anyway. I feel sorry for those who can't play online (no really, no sarcasm here).

Oops sorry...-insert already requested plus suggestions here-

JCF Member

Oct 24, 2010, 09:11 AM
Talking about TSF and Plus suggestions, wouldn't it be cool to give Lori her own gun sprite as Fastfire pickup and HUD icon? Perhaps I'm a little too nitpicky on such minor things, but I always felt Lori taking Jazz's gun was part of her 'broken character' thing.
minmay

JCF Member

Oct 24, 2010, 09:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
Edit: Mid/midi support?
Just use a MIDI-to-MOD converter if you desperately want to use MIDI songs in levels.*

*please don't use MIDI songs in levels

JCF Member

Treylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legend

Oct 24, 2010, 09:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaz View Post
Talking about TSF and Plus suggestions, wouldn't it be cool to give Lori her own gun sprite as Fastfire pickup and HUD icon? Perhaps I'm a little too nitpicky on such minor things, but I always felt Lori taking Jazz's gun was part of her 'broken character' thing.
Techincally, TSF was unfinished. If they held on with the development perhaps Lori wouldn't of been so broken (unfinished and bugged) in the first place. But it seems they went "Oh we have to release it for the occasion, it'll keep the fans happy for sure anyway! Or they'll kill us...no one cares about Jazz anymore so let's continue with FPS"" Actually the original jj2 was still not even technically finished, a sad thing that is. When they could've implemented those missing features in TSF (like 3D bonus stages for example).

JCF Member

Jerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legend

Oct 24, 2010, 10:30 AM
Yeah, that would be an awesome feature request. 3D bonus stages! Although Blur most certainly doesn't have the time to make such a thing, I'm actually rather curious about whether it would be technically possible.

JCF Member

Oct 24, 2010, 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrythabest View Post
Yeah, that would be an awesome feature request. 3D bonus stages! Although Blur most certainly doesn't have the time to make such a thing, I'm actually rather curious about whether it would be technically possible.
Well, most crucial sprites for that are ready in the amins.j2a file, while an animated sprite of Lori's gun would've to be drawn from scratch and be added to that file. Yet on the other hand, I don't think there's anything ready in the engine that supports those 3D bonus stages other than the 3D Warp Horizon background sorta stuff.

JCF Member

Oct 24, 2010, 01:41 PM
And if the JJ2 engine lacks the 3D stage support (which I doubt it doesn't), would it be technically possible to implement such a thing through Plus? That is, in the way Plus implements other features to JJ2.

JCF Member

Oct 24, 2010, 02:06 PM
/votekick would be cool

JCF Member

Oct 24, 2010, 09:39 PM
Ye, always forgot that. It could be started by anyone on the server. There could also be voteban, what would start by some low-level admin.

e: Have I mentioned green and orange teams? I've been told that JJ2 already supports them, but they have to be hacked to get access to them.

Last edited by Jgke; Oct 25, 2010 at 08:13 AM.

JCF Member

Oct 25, 2010, 11:17 AM
Jake, if you didn't I am sure someone did ask for 2 more teams. It would be so cool to play 1vs1vs1vs1 in CTF. .
@ Dermo: You keep posting stuffs from Teeworlds. Maybe you don't know what it is but votekick and a 'ding' sound when someone joins the server.

JCF Member

Oct 25, 2010, 11:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake
Edit: Also, GREEN TEAM STANDING BY
Yeah, I did say something about it. I fear though that I was too tired at the time...

JCF Member

Oct 25, 2010, 11:27 AM
Well, if you didn't I am sure someone did. Now I see you did, so this post was not needed.

JCF Member

Oct 25, 2010, 01:07 PM
Quote:
I've been told that JJ2 already supports them, but they have to be hacked to get access to them.
Who told you that?

JCF Member

Oct 25, 2010, 02:04 PM
Probably Nerd (not sure)

JCF Member

Oct 25, 2010, 09:05 PM
Actually DJazz told me that Glados had hacked it.

JCF Member

Oct 25, 2010, 11:13 PM
I've never heard of Teeworlds lol. I did get the idea of votekick from unreal and combat arms. Both games allow that.

JCF Member

Lithium is an asset to this forum

Oct 25, 2010, 11:33 PM
Quote:
Actually DJazz told me that Glados had hacked it.
Green team? I saw it.

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Oct 26, 2010, 01:03 AM
I've seen it too!

No idea who hosted it (GLaDOS?)

There's also this shot:

Also,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni View Post
It would be so cool to play 1vs1vs1vs1 in CTF.
I'm not sure but I think that the extra teams are going to be used only in team gamemodes without bases (i.e. TB, DOM, etc) because there are no sprites for green or yellow bases and flags. (And it's not as easy to just recolor them as it is with gem sprites)

Last edited by cooba; Oct 26, 2010 at 05:07 AM.

JCF Member

Oct 26, 2010, 03:35 AM
Somebody could make a program that updates anims.j2a to give bases... Though three bases would need atleast 4 players on each team to work properly (Two for each enemy base(one carries the flag and one is readying on the base)). Or a flagcarrier could carry both enemy team's flags... which would place two flags on each base. Maybe I should draw a picture.

JCF Member

Foly has disabled reputation

Oct 26, 2010, 08:54 AM
Four teams would be so confusing, but fun though. (Imagine jdc event with 4 teams 32 players )
[13:07:13] *** Foly is on a KILLING SPREE!
[13:07:14] *** you killed yourself
[13:07:14] *** Foly was looking good but died instead...
Closed Thread