Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Maintenance & Feedback » Site and Forum Rules, Questions & Feedback

why is **** censored?

JCF Veteran

FreeLance is doing well so far

May 20, 2002, 04:10 PM
why is **** censored?

the word **** is a word used more often IN context than out! and just because some people use it OUT of context doesn't mean everyone else should have their posts and such made ugly and confusing (as in, people thinking they cussed) by ****!

please uncensor the other word for sheol, pit of destruction, lake of fire, etc.
MaGoo

JCF Member

MaGoo is doing well so far

May 21, 2002, 04:05 PM
I think that word would should only be censored if it's followed by something like "What the...." Or something like that. ***** ********************** ****** ** *********** ********* ** ******** ******** ********* * *** ********

JCF Member

dopeh has disabled reputation

May 22, 2002, 09:46 AM
Hmm? *****? yes! explain! for what ***** reason has ***** been censored???
-[phpBB] phpBB pwns j00

Oh, and don't forget to drink yer milk, yeh milkless c0w. m00!

JCF Member

JJ BBoy KS is doing well so far

May 22, 2002, 04:30 PM
I don't think that four astrixez are censored. After all you just wrote them and they didn't get censored. (j/k)

Actually, what WOULD happen if you censored four astrixes?

JCF Veteran

FreeLance is doing well so far

May 22, 2002, 04:52 PM
actually, i explain what word i am talking about.
VelKa

JCF Member

VelKa is doing well so far

May 22, 2002, 08:39 PM
First of all, I shouldn't be complaining, because lately I've been swearing a lot at everything (the words? nothing particularly 'bad', or else my mom would have killed me). Derby will have to edit this post for sure, but I'm not trying to stir up trouble here. Honestly.

Most of our swearwords were once 'okay' with 'okay' meanings. Seriously, I've come across the word d*mnation (sorry, Derby, but I HAD to include this) in my Bible several times, and the word for 'sheol' is mentioned EVERYWHERE. (-) means/meant to 'condemn.' Tell me please, what's so awful about that? 'Sheol' is simply where non-believers go when they die, what's so awful about that? (--) used to mean 'female dog' and in my heart it still does, even though it doesn't. You know about 'donkey', right? Seen it SO MANY DARNED TIMES in the Bible. What's so bad about that word?

The F-word and the S-word, though, are a little different, in my stupid opinion. So are the other swearwords, of which there are too many.

My parents don't like it when I swear, but it's not as serious a problem anymore. My mom, in particular, doesn't even seem to hear the idiots in the park when they rant about "(censored) YOU TO (censored) YOU (censored)ing LITTLE (censored)." Unless it's because she was a teacher?

The meanings have been changed to reflect Society's new views. Every culture has its own swearwords (hey, I'm not going to get into the Japanese swearwords because I only know one--jigoku). Literally these words mean one thing, but when used on the street it means something totally different. Sad, isn't it?

Derby: Filter bypass edit. Attempting to bypass the filters is wrong, even when they are being challenged.

Last edited by Derby; May 23, 2002 at 08:32 PM.

JCF Member

FQuist is an asset to this forumFQuist is an asset to this forum

May 23, 2002, 11:07 AM
I think the word mentioned in the first post should indeed be uncensored. I have seen it used more times in biblical discussions then in fights.

Interesting Jazz-related links:
Thread: Gameplay Theories - Thread: Make Up Your Own Gametype

Spotify.fm

VelKa

JCF Member

May 26, 2002, 09:26 AM
Sorry about that, Derby. (I already apologized over ICQ, but I'll do it again here.) Hopefully, it won't happen again; I personally don't like it when I do something wrong and don't even know about it.

(typed everything below on my PDA then transferred it here, there may be lots of typos)

Anyway, my point here (in this pathetic post) is that if fewer people swore on a regular basis, we wouldn't need to censor everything. Obviously, the admins should permanently keep some swearwords censored (the 'worse' ones, and whatever racial slurs there are), but if everyone simply decided to swear less, perhaps they wouldn't have so much of a problem editing out the offensive content.

This isn't a question of free speech. Swearing all the time offline is free speech (unless you direct it at someone and a third party hears the conversation, then it could be considered slander). Here, we have rules (which I just broke, without even knowing it ). Offline, it might be harder to control what you say. Even I have that problem sometiimes--but most of the time, I try not to get out of control. My parents rarely hear me swear, other people don't hear me swear, which is nice, really. Too many people curse loudly so that others will notice them.

Being subtle is a sign of maturity--not this other trash that so many people like (drugs, liquor, blahblahblah). To be subtle means that you are able to control what you say, and that you can control your emotions. Lots of people come online and they can't control what they say. Before Derby gave me some classes on being subtle and less emotional, I was very irrational. Now, if I apply the knowledge he passed on to me to the fullest extent, no one knows what I'm really thinking, no one knows when I'm upset, no one knows when I swear.

It's that simple. Be more subtle, and you will become more mature, and you won't feel a reason to swear 24/7, and you won't have to take out your anger on others. Many people swear because they are angry. Why are they angry? If it's not serious, then it must be because they lack the ability to be subtle.

One of the reasons why people swear is because they can't control what they say. If everyone--not only the admins, not only FreeLance, not only me--is willing to avoid the use of the other word for 'sheol' in the wrong way, I would say that we should uncensor it. But if FreeLance will be the only member to use that word in the right way, you might as well give Derby a couple thousand dollars, a new palace with room for his horses, and a bunch of assistants, to help him edit out all the swearwords. I'm not rich enough to give Derby all that, and no one else here is, so I highly suggest that if you want anything to change for the better, everyone needs to cooperate.

(By the way, my point there was that, if people swore less, the admins wouldn't have to worry so much about censoring words.)
Long post, wasn't it? ;-P

edit: okay, so I typed this at 12AM, let's just say that I made no sense AND went off-topic. Sorry.

Last edited by VelKa; May 26, 2002 at 09:39 AM.

JCF Member

KRSplat is a forum legendKRSplat is a forum legend

May 29, 2002, 04:46 PM
I don't think swearwords should be considered bad in any way. What's the difference between calling someone a (female dog) than calling them something like a "butthead" which my sister calls me all the time, or an "idiot", or a "moron". Usually they actually aren't, so there's no difference to me.

However, I don't swear. At least, not loud enough for anyone to hear. I have never swore loud enough for anyone to hear me in my life. I swear I whisper or think them sometimes, but never speak them aloud.

If you want to filter those words also filter someone saying "you idiot. you're so stupid." In my opinion, it's only society that has made those words bad.

The f-word was not originally a bad word. It just meant "sex". (is that filtered? ) But then people used it aggressively, and it became a "cuss word."

D--- onlt means curse. Why can we say "curse you" but not "---- you?" They're the same thing.

JCF Member

May 30, 2002, 08:06 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by KRSplat
I don't think swearwords should be considered bad in any way. What's the difference between calling someone a (female dog) than calling them something like a "butthead" which my sister calls me all the time, or an "idiot", or a "moron". Usually they actually aren't, so there's no difference to me.

However, I don't swear. At least, not loud enough for anyone to hear. I have never swore loud enough for anyone to hear me in my life. I swear I whisper or think them sometimes, but never speak them aloud.

If you want to filter those words also filter someone saying "you idiot. you're so stupid." In my opinion, it's only society that has made those words bad.
Well, they SHOULD be considered 'bad'. I don't believe calling someone an 'idiot' is as bad as saying 'you (censored)!'. But hey, it's just society's fault. Hmm...what if society suddenly made the word 'derby' bad? ;-P
>>Møønßlãzé<<

JCF Member

>>Møønßlãzé<< is doing well so far

Jun 11, 2002, 02:44 PM
Let's start a Derby fan club ;-P

JCF Éminence Grise

Fawriel is doing well so far

Jun 21, 2002, 07:44 AM
It's getting out of hand I say!

I wanted to write Octo...(the James Bond Movie,I know you know it)
Why is a word censored which COULD mean something "not good"if it's official meaning is "KITTY"????!!!!!!!!
This is ridiculous!

JCF Member

Lama is doing well so far

Jun 22, 2002, 11:30 PM
I agree with Velkasha in a way. If people are responsible enough, those words shouldn't be censored.

Derby doesn't seem to be responding to this thread.

"I fake so many people that I don't know what my own name is any more." ~Overlord

"Well... UR MOMS FAT" ~CrimiClown®

"Why is baking soda so magically delicious?" ~Doubble Dutch

"Hypodise." ~Link
Derby

JCF Member

Derby is doing well so far

Jun 23, 2002, 12:23 PM
Piccolo: "Octopus" will not be censored, unless you spelled it incorrectly.

As for the word in question, I would have to agree. I would estimate the ratio of the proper usage of the word on this forum to the improper usage to be at least 5:1. I hardly see it used improperly anymore.

Really, the use of such words and their censorship is somewhat dependent on the users. There are still many words that cannot be uncensored because the users on this board would never find an occasion to use them properly, if at all. I think that the word in question may be the only one that does not fit in that category.
SoulFirE

JCF Member

SoulFirE has disabled reputation

Jun 23, 2002, 11:02 PM
A bit offtopic, but Derby, the name (of that particular James Bond movie) ain't 'octopus', but 'octopussie', and replace the 'ie' by 'y'

JCF Éminence Grise

Fawriel is doing well so far

Jun 24, 2002, 03:17 AM
That's just it Soul!That's just it.

JCF Member

JJ BBoy KS is doing well so far

Jun 24, 2002, 09:12 PM
I think the filters are fine. If you aren't using the word in a way that it shouldn't be used here, then...maybe it's safe to slip passed the filter. "Octopu55y"...or "Octopu$$y" ...or something...

JCF Member

Trafton AT is doing well so far

Jun 25, 2002, 03:04 PM
Is the word **** or sucks?
Trafton AT

JCF Member

Trafton AT is doing well so far

Jun 25, 2002, 03:05 PM
I just answered my own question.